Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The best thing we can do is ignore that series entirely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I haven't read any 7DS past the first couple of volumes because of the relentless sexual assault "comedy" but from my understanding they've spent the last 20 chapters on a extraneous final villain fight against someone who was at no point during said fight a credible threat. Is that a fair assessment?

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Yeah, the guy they've been fighting for the past several volumes went from a major threat to a laughable pushover who has long overstayed his welcome

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Blockhouse posted:

I haven't read any 7DS past the first couple of volumes because of the relentless sexual assault "comedy" but from my understanding they've spent the last 20 chapters on a extraneous final villain fight against someone who was at no point during said fight a credible threat. Is that a fair assessment?

Better yet he was defeated once already and it seemed like the manga was ending...then he revived and they had to beat him again.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Arthur/Merlin stuff is probably just tying loose ends. I expected the simps of the ADTRW Shounen thread to grasp this but I guess I'm proven wrong.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RatHat posted:

Better yet he was defeated once already and it seemed like the manga was ending...then he revived and they had to beat him again.

tbf there were a bunch of loose threads still hanging at that point still that have been answered since. ending it then would have been kinda dumb. it's just that the fight is boring and wasted on a villain they'd already beaten before

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RatHat posted:

Seven Deadly Sins 334

This manga will never end.

The only good part of this chapter is Meliodas pouring one out for Escanor. Who shouldn't have had to die because of Meliodas in the first place. At least not now since it seems he was always doomed for an early death given Sunshine's strain on his body. But Nakaba didn't really make that a thing until just now.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Seven Deadly Sins has to be one of the most squandered concepts ever since the One Shot was actually really good and quite promising looking. But then we got this loving mess.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

RatHat posted:

Even better still, they had you beat him again in the exact same way because it was the exact same fight.

Brought To You By posted:

The only good part of this chapter is Meliodas pouring one out for Escanor. Who shouldn't have had to die because of Meliodas in the first place. At least not now since it seems he was always doomed for an early death given Sunshine's strain on his body. But Nakaba didn't really make that a thing until just now.

That's not quite true though.
During the battle with Meliodas Merlin mentioned he also damaged himself.
Before the attack on the Meliodas egg he was coughing up blood.
And finally, Meal said it outright when he gave Sunshine back.
It was pretty heavily telegraphed that he was in trouble.

doomrider7 posted:

Seven Deadly Sins has to be one of the most squandered concepts ever since the One Shot was actually really good and quite promising looking. But then we got this loving mess.

Personally I'd say that it was good right up until the counter attack on the 10 commandments started.
But yeah, this is starting to feel like Bleach. Except without the cool moments like Bankai reveals.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Since someone mentioned squandered concepts what is the squandered concept of Sins? Because I never really got into it at all because I found the art just super unappealing so I wanna know what the big deal was that I was missing out on... Or I guess not missing out on because it was squandered I guess.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Plutonis posted:

The Arthur/Merlin stuff is probably just tying loose ends. I expected the simps of the ADTRW Shounen thread to grasp this but I guess I'm proven wrong.

The author's also said he wanted to do a sequel with Arthur a while back so either it was a red herring or he changed his mind. :shrug:

It really does feel like the manga is on its last leg and somehow still trying to cling to life.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

That's not quite true though.
During the battle with Meliodas Merlin mentioned he also damaged himself.
Before the attack on the Meliodas egg he was coughing up blood.
And finally, Meal said it outright when he gave Sunshine back.
It was pretty heavily telegraphed that he was in trouble.
But this is after how many real life years of Escanor the character just destroying everyone with no problem associated with Sunshine being in his human body? Not to mention his actual lifespan if we're to assume 'The One' state does the most damage to him and he automatically goes into it every single day and he's in his 30s to 40s right? I buy that keeping himself in 'The One' state is damaging, and getting pummeled by the likes of Assault Mode Meliodas is going to cause lasting damage. I'm just saying if he was always cruising for an early grave Nakaba kind of forces it to be right here for reasons most likely related to the Sequel he wants to do with Arthur. But Escanor biting the dust just leaves a sour taste in my mouth since the biggest catalyst was him prolonging his fight with the Demon King and that's more on Meliodas for not stepping up sooner since we know he could also beat his father no problem.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Glagha posted:

Since someone mentioned squandered concepts what is the squandered concept of Sins? Because I never really got into it at all because I found the art just super unappealing so I wanna know what the big deal was that I was missing out on... Or I guess not missing out on because it was squandered I guess.

I didn't read the one shot, but for me originally it was just that it was a lighthearted and easy read with a group of goofballs who aren't taking this whole thing seriously. Basically the same reason I'm still reading Edens Zero.
There's something really amusing (to me at least) when you look back at an arc and realize the entire ordeal could've been greatly sped up if they just stopped goofing around and straight up fought whoever.
It's why I liked the movie as well, the lead could've solved all problems if he would've just told the guards and bride that he wasn't the guy they were looking for. Instead he just kinda goes along and goofs around for no real reason like some sociopath and fights some random villains. :shrug:
Combined with the occasional teamwork effort and it was pretty good.
Unfortunately, the lead being a pathological lier and dick also means he basically had one of his best friends commit suicide in his name in the most recent chapters. :cripes: But that doesn't get called out at all, at which point it just becomes bad writing.
The writer is just really bad at power levels, constantly writes himself into a corner and asspulls a save.
Prime example being Merlin. She was turned to stone and a big deal was made out of it that she was only barely hanging on thanks to her special weapon...that is until she literally remembers that she's actually immune to curses so she's fine now.

Brought To You By posted:

But this is after how many real life years of Escanor the character just destroying everyone with no problem associated with Sunshine being in his human body? Not to mention his actual lifespan if we're to assume 'The One' state does the most damage to him and he automatically goes into it every single day and he's in his 30s to 40s right? I buy that keeping himself in 'The One' state is damaging, and getting pummeled by the likes of Assault Mode Meliodas is going to cause lasting damage. I'm just saying if he was always cruising for an early grave Nakaba kind of forces it to be right here for reasons most likely related to the Sequel he wants to do with Arthur. But Escanor biting the dust just leaves a sour taste in my mouth since the biggest catalyst was him prolonging his fight with the Demon King and that's more on Meliodas for not stepping up sooner since we know he could also beat his father no problem.
The best I can say is that I imagine there is a difference though between being the One and fighting some random thug wielding a branch and being the One fighting the second demon king. One means you have to exert yourself to survive, the other means you have miss so you don't pulp anyone.
But I agree with everything you've said.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 27, 2019

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Glagha posted:

7DS does these really over the top and kinetic battles with crazy powers and good character moments.

But the back half of this final arc keeps having "but wait!" Moments and false endings and pretty lame finishes. Some characters do almost nothing- Diane for example didn't really get a halfway decent fight for the entire series. Merlin basically just is girl Aizen and can do basically anything. The arc villain is boring and less interesting than most of his minions. Stuff that was kinda foreshadowed or left in the air (each sin has a special weapon, one characters weapon had been missing the entire series and Merlin just is like "oh I got it right here" after a zillion battles where it would've been nice to have) gets half-assedly resolved in a way a cancelled manga would do it.

Escanor is one of the few (pun intended) bright spots because his character is so fun and his premise ("what if there was a good guy who was arguably stronger than the MC that DIDN'T job. Ever.") never got old.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Meanwhile in Fairy Tail Sequel Cana wasn't actually mind controlled because she was too drunk, and Laxus defeated one of the story's villains through the power of his low self esteem. So, y'know, same old, same old.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ganbatte, Spirits.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1006136

New series, ZIPMAN!!

You can really tell this guy was an assistant to Horikoshi.
Liked it though.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mulderman posted:

New series, ZIPMAN!!

Liked it though.

What's Horikoshi known for?

It was okay yes, I do at least like the villain faced good guy. The girl has a pretty neat design as well.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Darth TNT posted:

What's Horikoshi known for?

It was okay yes, I do at least like the villain faced good guy. The girl has a pretty neat design as well.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Rip Ougmadoki Zoo

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Also My Hero Academia

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dexo posted:

Rip Ougmadoki Zoo

Was it good?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
So far, ZipMan is kinda standard but there are a ton of places to go with it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Mulderman posted:

New series, ZIPMAN!!

Liked it though.

Alright I'm interested. Let's see how the next couple weeks go.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
New World Trigger.

Looks like the match will finish next month.

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

Every single character in the fight got a separate chapter to beat his rear end down while he constantly gloated despite accomplishing absolutely nothing. At least Kubo understood he had to make his final villain feel threatening. Also, the whole fight was unnecessarily prolonged because the demon king was possessing the body of Zeldris, and Meliodas was insistent that he absolutely had to rescue his brother.

Y'know, Zeldris. The unrepentant mass murderer. Who is the reason the demon king was revived in the first place. Definitely need to save him, because he's family, or something.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

You gotta save your Vegeta.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Jim Dwyer posted:

Every single character in the fight got a separate chapter to beat his rear end down while he constantly gloated despite accomplishing absolutely nothing. At least Kubo understood he had to make his final villain feel threatening. Also, the whole fight was unnecessarily prolonged because the demon king was possessing the body of Zeldris, and Meliodas was insistent that he absolutely had to rescue his brother.

Y'know, Zeldris. The unrepentant mass murderer. Who is the reason the demon king was revived in the first place. Definitely need to save him, because he's family, or something.

On the bright side, the Mangastream comment section had a special account named the great demon king.
He was going around posting in nearly everything that he was the great demon king and how we were all doomed. :allears:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Jim Dwyer posted:

7DS feels written with the fairy tail effect in mind, where manga at such a lovely tier of writing is so completely not memorable you forget details like that and just go with moment to moment. I feel like actually re-reading it and plotting it out none of the acts would connect is any working fashion but I ain't reading it again.

That being said it was implied he feels guilty for Zeldris becoming a mass murderer and all the stuff because he shirked his responsibilities as a brother and/or as a war leader. Does that justify his actions? I don't know, he comes off as a repugnant moron (both of them, really) so to me it fits how lovely he is.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Casual Pepeshan is styling.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I wonder if the ice girl is Her mom given the whole manchild instrumentality endgame.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Any time an artist is willing to give their characters an actual wardrobe instead of the same clothes all the time, I smile inside.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I wonder if the ice girl is Her mom given the whole manchild instrumentality endgame.
Could be a clone as well if we assume genetics are involved. Although I think this is either time shenaningans or maybe Stigma is creating an "echo" based on people's negative emotions and giving them life

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Electric Phantasm posted:

You gotta save your Vegeta.
all the people vegeta killed (who mattered to the timeframe, not randos pre earth) were brought back to life tho

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
We Never Learn is in the home stretch now, folks.

What a good guy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Seems pretty clear at this point that Uruka is the end game. Kinda interesting since, IIRC, she was actually the third girl introduced.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Yuiga is such a good boy!

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Ytlaya posted:

Seems pretty clear at this point that Uruka is the end game. Kinda interesting since, IIRC, she was actually the third girl introduced.
I've been thinking that studying abroad kind of disqualifies Uruka because then the end of the manga is either them being in a long distance relationship, Uruka failing so she doesn't study abroad/deciding not to study abroad, or Yuiga going to study abroad with her. None of which I can see happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Long distance would totally work. It's kinda bittersweet and we can have an "And they met 5 years later" moment.

I'm gonna spoil the ending now.

Yuiga finally gets his poo poo together and realizes he loves Uruka. But she's already on her way to the airport. The other girls all help out to get Yuiga to realize his feelings and get him to the airport (Kirisu drives of course)
They think they JUST missed the airplane, but it got delayed allowing Yuiga and Uruka to have their little moment, kiss and promise they'll meet again 5 years later.

Epilogue is a wedding. But not the one of Yuiga and Uruka but of Ogata and Sekijou.

Mulderman fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 8, 2019