Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Under the Knife didn't do much to show a downside to having the healing touch.
Second Opinion, of course, had Naomi Weaver being drummed out of the profession for having it, leaving the country, then living a double life. (By the way, they really could have done more to show her day job.) But that wasn't something Derek was in a position to face.

This, though, finally shows what Hoffman meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Does it though? Like you can't save everybody and a doctor with a messiah complex is just as much of a risk to patients as a vainglorious one. There's a reason the oath is "do no harm". I'm kinda surprised the games don't go into here cause it's an evergreen wellspring of drama for the genre.
I really don't know what the success rate for Caduceus is in this sci-fi future, but it must be hella good for poo poo like this to weigh on people's minds.

I think they're trying to say that Derek is just collapsing from his inability to meet everyone's expectations, but like...I dunno. Everyone keeps talking about there being a physical cost to the Healing Touch, not the crushing expectations that comes with it. Or at least that's how I read it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I mean, from what I understand, doctors in the real world can get hit pretty hard by patient deaths. It probably comes as even more of a shock when you have magical doctor superpowers. Like that thing where Superman can hear all the people in the world calling for help and knows even he can't save them all or something. And of course, both in the last operation and this one, Derek was personally invested in the patients' well-being.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I guess it's just when every operation is against some super virulent bioweapon that you have to operate on while walking on a tightrope and juggling knives I kinda expect you'd learn to cut your losses.
Point about the personal investment though, that is true.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

This loss was extremely personal for Derek, and Angie essentially made an already bad situation about a thousand times worse. Hard to blame him for being shaken.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

SSNeoman posted:

I guess it's just when every operation is against some super virulent bioweapon that you have to operate on while walking on a tightrope and juggling knives I kinda expect you'd learn to cut your losses.
Point about the personal investment though, that is true.
Every operation we see, yes. But Derek spent three years without apparently ever using the Healing Touch once. This either means nobody he treated in those three years ever died, or the patients that did die were probably beyond any humanly possible efforts at saving by the time he got to them. Seeing an end-stage cancer patient and knowing there's nothing you can do besides make them comfortable is different from "what if my actions directly caused this death?"

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
What next? Adel learns Derek couldn't complete the operation and loses all respect for him?

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

There are still patients here at Caduceus that are depending on me. And we haven't figured out who or what was behind that GUILT outbreak yet, either. ...If I can't use the Healing Touch when I truly need it, I won't be able to save anyone. I'm going to do everything in my power to get it back!

Yes, we're doing this tutorial again.

Concentrate, Derek. You have to do whatever you can to get that power back!
Without the Healing Touch... I don't deserve to be a doctor of Caduceus. Especially not after what happened today...!

That's being too harsh on yourself.

Imagine the operation, just like usual. And draw that symbol. Now... Concentrate!

"Operation" Video

Alright... I can do this! I need to get that sensation back! Imagine the operation... Concentrate on my hands... Here goes!

Again, just imagine me drawing stars a bunch of times. But instead of the screen zooming in every time, here the screen quickly zooms out after.

I'm trying so hard... Why!? Why can't I get it!? It's useless... No matter how many times I try, I can't get my Healing Touch back...

Getting max rank requires us to finish this in less than 5 seconds without failing at drawing any stars. Needless to say, gently caress that.

No matter what I do, I can't reach that state of concentration!
What's happened to me...? What happened to my Healing Touch? Have I lost it completely!?
No... This can't be happening...!

*Derek walks away*

...... ...Dr. Stiles...

Hey, you're finally awake.
Huh...? Why am I... here?
I guess that nasty fever you had made your memory foggy. Adel, you collapsed. It was the same disease discovered in Costigar.
What!? I contracted... that!?
If it wasn't for the reports Derek sent back to us, you would have been in serious danger. But, your operation was a success, and we've taken precautions to prevent a relapse. Your only assignment for the time being is to take it easy and concentrate on being a patient.
Thank you, Doctor Chase. So, Dr. Stiles was the one who treated me. He really is a great doctor...
Well, that's not exactly how it went down...
...?

Hoo boy...

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Issues with how we got here aside I really like how the last 3 missions have worked. The 4th patient marathon fake out (& I think the Emilio death screen is the style of the game overs isnt it?), proceeding through a normal operation that has to fail when you try to use the touch, and then doing the usual training mission that also has to fail.
Going through the whole "OPERATION FAILED" stuff is just neat, i think. Second operation even has someoen step in like if you failed normally

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

-One week later-

...Dr. Stiles is leaving Caduceus!?
No, that's not it. But with the way he's been acting, a change of scenery will probably do him some good.
I suppose that makes sense. So then, he's still...
He's been seriously depressed lately. It's not like him at all. All that Healing Touch crap aside, I wouldn't even let him do normal operations like this. He looks more like a patient than a doctor.
I know what you mean... I heard he's been getting some counseling, at the recommendation of Dr. Clarks... But knowing what caused all this, it's probably still tough for him to deal with.
You know, most people don't know the first thing about the Healing Touch. IT's not like talking to some shrink is going to solve any--

Morning, Adel. You're looking much better. Hey... You heard about Dr. Stiles, right...?
...Yes. He's being transferred to another hospital, correct?
Y-Yeah...
I guess he'll be gone awhile, then? We'll just have to work even harder to make up for his absence. ...Anyway, if you'll excuse me. *leaves*
That's weird. I thought he'd take it harder than that...
Speaking of taking it hard...
...Yeah?
Has Angie heard about this yet?
I'd say she has. She just bolted into Hoffman's office a second ago.

"Are you prepared for the pain that this power will bring you?"
Excuse me...?
That's what I said to Derek when he used his Healing Touch for the first time. I thought he had found a way to cope with it... But it looks like the Healing Touch will forever be a double-edged sword to those who have it.

Yes, Ms. Thompson...?
I'm here to ask a favor concerning Dr. Stiles.
I had a feeling you'd come when you found out... You want to accompany him, don't you...?
How'd you--
...I'm sorry if I'm being unreasonable... But, I--
I understand how you must feel. But that's exactly why I can't approve your request. Permission denied, Ms. Thompson.
What...!?
Derek needs time to think about why he became a doctor, and to come to terms with what happened. He can't do that without some space.

And he can't really do that with someone constantly accusing him of being arrogant *winkwinknudgenudge*

B-But... Dr. Stiles is--
There's no need to be concerned. He's really not so weak. And it's not like we'll be throwing him into an unfamiliar environment without any support, either.
If you care about him, then you should watch over him from a distance. Just for now.
Y-Yes, sir... Then, please excuse me... *leaves*
I wonder if he'll really be able to get past this.
I'm not sure. But there's something else I said to him before. "No doctor can operate on himself..." That is our fatal flawy, and at the same time, a test of the friendships we have fostered...

This was said when Hoffman was infected in SO.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
To be fair, I thought the Adel politely but blatantly losing all respect for Derek thing would be to his face, so I guess the writing beat expectations there. Is Angie going to get jealous of someone else being a worse/better influence on him?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
well I get why people are mad at Angie now, oof

also I know this game won't do it but I'd laugh so much if we suddenly turned into Derek Stiles, Medicinal Bartender and your next set of operations were making the perfect margarita

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
I hope he goes to whatever hospital that other nurse is from and they have a better more mature working relationship immediately. My first guess would have been Costigar if 123 didn't say it never comes up again

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Psion posted:

well I get why people are mad at Angie now, oof

also I know this game won't do it but I'd laugh so much if we suddenly turned into Derek Stiles, Medicinal Bartender and your next set of operations were making the perfect margarita

It wouldn't be that out of place, the previous game had a bomb-defusal mission after all.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

tomanton posted:

I hope he goes to whatever hospital that other nurse is from and they have a better more mature working relationship immediately. My first guess would have been Costigar if 123 didn't say it never comes up again
I'm betting that it's the hospital he and Hoffman started out in back in UtK1.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Psion posted:

Draw that symbol... and concentrate!

*pattern of an ice cube appears*

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Commander Keene posted:

I'm betting that it's the hospital he and Hoffman started out in back in UtK1.

Too bad you didn't say what you're betting because this is the correct answer.

But I could definitely imagine a UtK bartending game since Persona dancing games exist. Too bad Atlus pretty much forgotten about this series, though :(

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 9, 2019

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Derek Stiles took his first steps here as a doctor... ...and has now unexpectedly returned.

but I never imagined that I'd find myself mentoring you again.
I-I know. Sorry to be such a burden.

With that in mind, we'll be going pretty hard on you. Think you can handle it, Derek?
Y-Yes...
Alright then, that's it for today. You'll be on extended active duty starting tomorrow, so you should get rested up.
I understand. Please excuse me. *leaves*
...What do you think?
It's worse than I thought... He doesn't even smile anymore. It's like he's a shell of his old self... ...He never used to be so uptight.

The game doesn't bother showing that using Derek's non-smiling portrait for this section :effort:

You're right. He's lost all of his composure. I guess that's why they sent him to us... By the way, have we made any progress in trying to get "her" here?
Actually, it looks like she'll be able to transfer here as early as next week. We didn't give her much notice, but she's gone to a lot of trouble to adjust her schedule.
Great, then we'll be able to put our master plan into action that much sooner. This isn't going to be easy... but we're going to make it work, no matter what.

A lot of slightly recolored sprites today.

*The patient leaves*

Phew... That's the last outpatient for today. It's hard to step backward into the role of apprentice... But it really does feel like those days when I first started working here.
...... I wonder how everyone at Caduceus is doing... Are they working like usual without me...?
*sigh* Of course they are. Who needs a doctor who's lost the Healing Touch...? Heck, I can't even do a routine operation. I'd be of no use if I was there...

That Costigar Fever can't be called a routine operation, really.

*Phone rings*

Hm, better get that. Yes, this is Dr. Stiles.
...What!? I'm... performing an operation!?

What are you doing here, Derek? You're supposed to be in the O.R. Stop wasting time and go get prepared.
W-Wait! I can't handle an operation right now...
Remember what I told you back then? A doctor has to cast aside his emotions during an operation. In there, you're just a doctor who saves patients. Nothing more, nothing less.

This was said when Greg got infected. The quote was originally about relationships, but emotions kinda works too.

B-But... that's just it. What if I can't save the patient?
Don't worry, "rookie." I'm assigning a veteran assistant to you.
...Huh?

...!
You need at least six hours! The patients depend on you!
Long time no see, Derek.
M-Mary!? Why are you here...!?
Well, I have my reasons.

She's the nurse in the first three operations in UtK/SO before getting replaced by Angie. She's also the character who suffers the most from the artstyle change from UtK.

By the way, that quote about sleeping is from the second chapter in those games. There's lots of throwbacks in this chapter.

Regardless, I'll be working here for at least a little while. So, let's do our best.
Y-Yes, of course!
Wait... then the veteran assistant you were talking about...
That's right, do you get it now? If there's nothing else, then go scrub up.
Come on, Derek. Let's go.
A-Alright...!

...gently caress you, game.

Your patient today is Mr. Saltman. He's a 52-year-old male suffering from cholelithiasis.
Cholelithiasis...

:eng101: Cholelithiasis is the formation of gallstones.

If you just stay calm, Derek, this operation won't be difficult. Think back to when you first started operating... and concentrate.
I understand. I'll try.
Good. I'll explain the operation procedure then. Like I said, the patient suffers from gallbladder cholelithiasis. It's progressed quite a bit, so we'll have to extract his gallbladder. We have two objectives for this operation:
  • Excise and extract the gallbladder.
  • Fragment the gallstones.
Now, listen up. What's most important right now is precision, not speed. Put yourself in the patient's position and think each treatment through.

That applies more to UtK than this game. Speed is VERY EXTREMELY SUPREMELY important in this game. As we'll see in this operation.

Operation Video

Let's begin th operation. Do your best, Derek.
Y-Yes, ma'am. (Precision over speed... And more importantly... I need to focus solely on the operation!)

You can't see it just from the portrait, but Derek apparently changed clothes between the briefing and the operation.

There's an emulator graphical bug, but it's minor enough.

Gallstones are flowing out of the gallbladder. Keep in mind that the patient's vitals will drop if the stones pass through the entire bile duct. The gallstones can be detected with the ultrasound, so let's be as thorough as possible.

After detecting the stones with the ultrasound, we can shatter it with the laser. The laser won't have any effect if we didn't use the ultrasound.

The stones will move downwards and will tank our vitals if they manage to get offscreen. The timing is tight since the developers put the gallbladder in the middle of the screen instead of the top :argh:

Treatment complete. Let's begin extracting the gallbladder. First, inject the white sedative into the gallbladder.

This operation is similar to the one in NB, but there's a few key difference. For example, in this one we can see the stones before using the ultrasound. Also, the big stones takes longer to shatter, but they won't fragment into smaller stones.

Now we can extract it, but we can't cut it out all at once... So, we'll excise it in multiple segments. But don't forget about the gallstones, either.

So yeah, we have to cut the gallbladder while dealing with the gallstones.

Blood pools work kinda differently from usual. They won't cause another blood pool to appear next to them, but they will prevent any cutting even though they're nowhere near the cutting area.

If we take too long to cut after draining the blood pools, they will reform. Having those blood pools form (including the initial wave) will also tank our vitals, so make sure to watch out for it.

I don't know for sure, but it feels like the more section we cut, the faster the stones will appear. So make sure to get vitals to maximum before cutting this one.

The final one has three blood pools. We need to drain all three at once to be able to do any significant cutting. Don't forget about the stones, though, as you won't be able to keep up if the vitals are too low.

The stones feels like they come too fast. I suggest to drain the blood pools right after shattering a small stone. Don't bother doing it if you just shatter a big stone; there won't be enough time to both shatter the next stone and cut the gallbladder.

Even then, you'll probably still need two sessions to fully cut it. And there might be close calls like this one. This is by far the hardest part of the operation. We REALLY need to be speedy to be able to do this operation.

This would be a perfect time to use the Healing Touch. You know, if we're able to. Full disclosure: I wasn't able to finish this operation on Hard until literally a few days ago.

After cutting that final section, the game will release one final gallstone just to spite us. We can then drain the blood pools and remove the gallbladder.

These blood pools will still drain our vitals if they reform, though, so make sure not to take too long. You really don't want to do the cutting all over again.

All that's left now are blood clouds that appeared where the gallbladder was and the wound from all those cutting.

Normally a small wound like that would require the gel, but for some reason we have to suture this one. It's kinda finicky.

There's no need to raise the vitals before bandaging because...

Wait, Derek. We're not done yet.
You mean there's another patient!?

...we have a surprise second operation! :shepicide:

Another patient was carried in, so we'll move onto him now.
Really...? Alright...
This patient is suffering from severe appendicitis. The main objectives for this operation will be the excision and extraction of the appendix. Please perform the treatment quickly, but carefully.

That's right: it's a completely different operation. Sucks to be someone who finished the first operation with 20 seconds left! :buddy:

The appendix has burst and pus is seeping out. It's causing inflammations... Let's extract the appendix while we treat the pus and the inflammations! First, we need to get that pus above the appendix out of the way. Please drain it.

The inflammations won't take nearly as much vitals as the gallstones and the pus won't obscure anything in the same continent like the earlier blood pools, so we can mostly ignore them.

Injecting and cutting. Nothing really new.

Now, we need to tie two wires to the appendix. One will go around the base of the organ, and the other around the appendix itself.

Now we have something new. The new tool is a wire, and this is the only time it's going to be used.

We just have to put the wire on the pointed spot and then drag the stylus away from it. The game doesn't really make it clear, so I spent my first playthrough pointlessly spinning it around.

After that we just have to remove the appendix and patch everything up. This second half is very easy if you know what you're doing.

Nevertheless, it's still a mean surprise.

This is a nice surprise, though. I really didn't expect that :toot:

Good job, Derek. I can't say it went smoothly, but you did get through it, didn't you?

Not my fault that there's suddenly another patient :argh:

It's all thanks to you, Mary.
I don't know what would have happened if I had operated alone...
*smile*
...?
You know, you really haven't changed much since we parted a few years ago. You seem so lost; I can't possibly leave you alone. It's just like it was back then.
Wh-What!? I've improved a lot since then!
But, I...
Dr. Kasal told me everything. Even though you've been through a lot, you still need to be patient.
...Huh?

They start to lose their way... But when you're so buy thinking about something you can't change, you get blinded by it... What I mean is, the past isn't nearly as important as the future. You've got to keep looking ahead.
When things don't seem to be going your way sometimes you can get back on track if you just concentrate on the task before you. That's why I want you to be patient, and take things one step at a time.
I-I understand...
Haha, you really do need my help, don't you?
Heyyy, it's been three years, and you're still on my case!

Don't you feel GUILTy for plagiarism?

3-1 A Special Assignment

I already mentioned the differences. Not so easy without the Healing Touch, huh, Opendork?

4-1 Money Talks

The second half is also plagiarized. The NB version also has two operations, but both of them are appendicitis. The first half has no pus or inflammations, but the second half has way more than this operation.

All in all, I still think this operation is much harder. At least you have Healing Touch for both operations in NB.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 11, 2019

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Well I guess this does count as a lull in the game, by Atlus' standards at least.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I forgot Mary was even a character

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
6 hours of sleep for healthcare worker sounds way too much.

(lol at the Merican HC and labor system)

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Although, you're still being babysat by Nurse Fulton...
W-Well, I'm not relying on her THAT much...!
Technically, no... but what about psychologically?
Don't tell me you're starting in on me too, Dr. Myers...
Anyway, let's get down to business. Derek, you're going to be the doctor on duty tonight.
What...? But tonight is...
That's right. Tonight, this hospital is responsible for all emergency patients.

Take a guess as to what will happen next.

B-But--
No excuses. You need to get focused on being a doctor. And besides, you don't need any extra time to get lost in thought. That'll only be trouble. Just do what you can tonight to save the people in front of you.
...Yes, sir.
Relax, Derek. There's no reason to be so uptight. Your "guardian angel" will be with you, after all.
Now you're just making fun of me.

"Focus on being a doctor." It's a good advice, but...
Can I really do that? What if multiple critical patients are brought in, and I have to decide who to treat first? What if their wounds are too difficult to treat without the Healing Touch?
Can I really "focus" under that kind of pressure? Or--

*Ambulance siren*

...! A siren... and it's getting closer! ...Wait, there's more than one!

Get ready immediately!
U-Understood!
There was a terrible accident on the overpass! All of the patients in critical condition are going to be transported here.
What!?

If any of you reading this is surprised, I don't know what to tell you.

What did you expect!? As Dr. Kasal said, tonight's our night to handle all emergency patients! Now, listen up. You're a doctor, so start acting like one!
R-Right...! I'll go get changed!
We'll probably have to perform several operations in a row. We don't have much time to spare, so please hurry!

Well, nice of you to inform us this time.

...... Get with the program, Derek. If there was ever a time to focus on being a doctor, it's now!

The patient is suffering from a fractured lower left rib cage, and injury to the spleen. There's... a high possibility that the bone fragments are scattered inside the throcacic cavity. We have two objectives for this operation:
  • Collect the bone fragments and reform the fractured bone.
  • Treat the spleen's hemorrhaging.
More patients may be carried in as we proceed... But, don't think about that. Just stay focused on the person in front of you. Try not to worry. You can do this, Derek.
I hope so, Ms. Fulton.

Operation Video

Let's get started. You'll have to work efficiently, Derek. First, we need to terat the external wounds.

So we treat the external wounds before opening up the patient.

It's more severe than I thought... Let's keep an eye on the damage to the spleen while we treat him. Please collect the bone fragments while treating the wounds.

This is basically a rehash of Sylvia's operation. Just like that operation, more wounds will appear after we take out each bone. Except the last bone for some reason.

After that, we have to place the bone. However, if you remember the plagiarization section in Sylvia's operation...

Here's the last bone fragment. Now set it--

More injuries to the spleen! Derek, treat them quickly!

This will drop vitals to 20 if it was higher. Which it probably is since you'd raise it before taking out that final bone, thinking that it'll create more wounds like the other bones.

Remember that slathering the gel over the wounds will cause them to temporarily stop draining our vitals in addition to increasing it a little, so we don't need to use the stabilizer.

Since we already have the final bone, we just have to place it after treating all the wounds. Notice how there's no cardiac arrest this time.

I can't believe we finished so quickly. You are getting better, Derek. We'll move onto the next patient now; please keep up the good work. Let's get started.

The patient seems to be suffering from severe internal and external wounds. Ones we treat the external ones, we'll move on to opening him up. We need to determine the affected area's condition quickly.

So we do the usual...

I've confirmed the presence of foreign objects as well as several injuries... Keep an eye on the patient's vitals while treating the wounds and extracting these objects.

Yeah, this is basically a rehash of the operation where Greg and Cybil came to visit.

There's also blood pockets here, but since this isn't Costigar Fever we actually have time to raise the vitals before cutting them out.

The treatment seems to be going well... But his vitals won't stabilize... Then there must be other wounds. Let's use the magnification tool to find them!

There's also a bunch of blood pockets hidden around, but we can deal with them later along with the blood clouds that appear.

Oh yeah, there's blood clouds that appear back on the bottom half after we treat most of the wounds here. It's best to immediately go treat them.

Vitals... have stabilized. That concludes this procedure. Let's get him closed up.

Yeah... suturing, bandaging, you know the drill...

gently caress! :argh:

I swear this suturing is kinda bugged; it's way too picky compared to the others.

It's only been six minutes since we started? You're amazing, Derek! Please keep that up on the next patient! Ready to move on?

Taking 6 minutes out of 8 for 2 patients out of 3 is kinda bad.

Oh yeah, our next patient is the last. Spoilers.

This patient has injured his elbow. His ligaments are most likely torn. Considering the last patient's condition, this one probably has foreign objects lodged inside too. Once the external wounds are treated, we'll open up the affected area and continue.

This is me blanking out as I contemplate on whether to restart or not.

His ligaments are completely torn. I see a foreign object as well... It seems to be lodged in rather deep, so please extract it carefully. We'll connect the torn ligaments with the forceps and suture them together in the end.

I think this is supposed to be a windshield wiper? How does that even fit into the arm?

Either way, it's ridiculously long, so make sure not to get a Miss here. Not that it matters since I got a few of them already.

The ligaments also need to be brought to each other with the forceps and then sutured. If we get a Miss, all unsutured ligaments will be retorn apart, so make sure to suture as soon as possible. Which is when the 4 that are next to each other are all brought together.

It's very easy to get a Miss here, especially if you're playing with a mouse.

All affected areas have been treated!
Well, let's close the patient up.

No Miss with the suturing this time.

I think congratulations are in order, Derek! Well done!
Thank you, Ms. Fulton. I couldn't have done it without you...
...? Wh-What's wrong?
No, it's nothing. You must be tired. I want you to get some rest, Dr. Stiles.

And so ends the second out of two operations with Mary Fulton.

Obviously the special bonus I missed is "No Miss". Oh well. This is good enough :effort:

But... Somehow, I survived.
Great work, Derek. You look like you've had a tough night.
Good morning, Dr. Kasal. And yes, it got pretty hectic in here.
That's what I read in the reports. But you got through it, huh?
...Yes.
Alright then, you're done for today. You better get some rest, or it'll be even harder coming in tomorrow.
Yes, sir!

*Greg leaves*

...... I really didn't have any time to hesitate yesterday. And I was able to concentrate on the patients better, too...
But... when I'm alone like this, I still keep thinking about it... Caduceus... GUILT... And especially my Healing Touch...
I wonder how everyone back at Caduceus is doing...

It's not like you at all to fumble with equipment like that. I don't think it's necessary to remind you, but if you're having personal problems, you--
It won't happen again, sir.
I'm counting on you, Angie. But... maybe you're working a little too hard. I can recommend a nice place to spend some time off...
...Thanks for the offer, but... I... um... plan to go see my father...
Professor Blackwell, huh? We can't thank you and your family enough, Angie. Victor said that he may have a breakthrough on his GUILT research soon, too... But don't push yourself too hard. I'm concerned about your health.

Random thought: I don't think we ever see Greg and Sidney interact outside of one chapter in UtK/SO.

Dr. Chase... Are you feeling OK? I hope this depression thing isn't contagious...
Yeah, I don't know why, but I just can't seem to find any energy anymore.
Oh come on, you just need to get some exercise or something! If you keep acting like this, you won't be setting a good example for Dr. Tulba!
Adel, huh... I don't think that guy even needs examples anymore.
Speaking of Adel... Is it just me, or has he been brooding over something lately?
He's been studying like mad for some reason. And if I'm dealing with a studying monster, I guess I don't really need to be a demon.
Oh geez...! You're just slacking off because Director Hoffman is out of the country right now.
Psh, I'm not the only one...
You seen Angie today? I haven't seen her around all morning...
I think she took the day off.
Seems like she's been down in the dumps lately, too. I hope she gets herself back to normal soon...

Don't you feel GUILTy about plaigarism?

5-1 Face Off

I've covered the copying for the first two operations, so they're not included here.

This operation has the whole ligaments thing. The stick in NB is much shorter and visible from the start, but UtK2 has no convulsion. I'd rate them about the same difficulty if not for the fact that this is part of a marathon operation.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

PhazonLink posted:

6 hours of sleep for healthcare worker sounds way too much.

(lol at the Merican HC and labor system)

My father used to be a residency director/academic radiologist. Studies came out showing pushing the Residents to never goddamn sleep was killing people and lowering productivity, but he had all kinds of stories of how older doctors refused to accept the findings or argued that it was still good actually to push the Residents to unsafe levels because 'it made me the doctor I am today!!!' no matter how much evidence he showed them that you'd be a better doctor if you were in good enough shape (mentally and physically) to actually learn and do things.

In conclusion, those people were shitheads and our health system is completely broken.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Derek I know you're down in the dumps but come on my dude.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Coming back to an earlier post,

SSNeoman posted:

I really don't know what the success rate for Caduceus is in this sci-fi future, but it must be hella good for poo poo like this to weigh on people's minds.

[...]

I think they're trying to say that Derek is just collapsing from his inability to meet everyone's expectations, but like...I dunno.

After thinking about this, I believe Derek literally never losing a patient in surgery like that until now is how the writers intended the scene. Totally implausible, absolutely, but even when the player fails an operation some other doctor steps in - the patient is saved. Here, though, straight up none of that. So it's crushing him way harder than "seems realistic" to what we know.

and the distinction wasn't really sold very well so the natural reader response is ???

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Even if Derek had lost patients before, this one was special to him. He saved the kid way back when, the kid was doing well, and to lose him now like this is way worse than a failed surgery with no history.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Psion posted:

After thinking about this, I believe Derek literally never losing a patient in surgery like that until now is how the writers intended the scene. Totally implausible, absolutely, but even when the player fails an operation some other doctor steps in - the patient is saved. Here, though, straight up none of that. So it's crushing him way harder than "seems realistic" to what we know.

and the distinction wasn't really sold very well so the natural reader response is ???

This is exactly my problem yeah

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mzbundifund posted:

Even if Derek had lost patients before, this one was special to him. He saved the kid way back when, the kid was doing well, and to lose him now like this is way worse than a failed surgery with no history.

He saved him twice! I can totally understand a doctor being messed up by losing someone they knew personally and who they'd helped several times already. Doctors get messed up just by the attrition of normal practice. An event like this would be really damaging.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Oh well, there's still work to be done.

Yes, how may I help you? Hm? Aren't you... Angie Thompson?
What...? Oh... Ms. Fulton?
Ah, then you must be here about Dr. Stiles, right? Just have a seat, and I'll fetch--
N-No! I mean... Please, wait! That's not why I came! I just... wanted to know if he was doing OK...
...Oh, is that all? There will always be times when men and women don't get along, my dear... But when you get to be my age, you start to realize just how silly it is to beat around the bush. If you want to know how Dr. Stiles is doing, why don't you ask him yourself?

Right... Mary doesn't know about Angie's contribution to Derek's current condition.

W-What...!?

N-No... Not really... U-Um... How have you been?
I-I guess things are going OK. ......
Come on, you two are acting like you just met. Don't you have anything "real" to say?
Yeah, quit talking in circles.
Easier said than done. ...Hey, what are you two doing here anyway!?
Well... Greg and I ARE your mentors, you know.
And since I'm apparently your "guardian angel," I should be here too, right?
What the-- You guys are treating me like a little kid!
Well, you need our help, right? Doesn't that make you just like a little kid? Tsk tsk, you can't even carry on a conversation with a young lady on your own.
I don't think that's the problem here...! How are we supposed to have a normal conversation with you two perched over us!?

You have the day off, don't you?
Y-Yeah, but...
And you have off tomorrow too, right, Ms. Thompson?
I do, actually! How did you--

We will never know the answer :iiam:

My guess is that the Kasals are involved.

Oh... But tomorrow, um, I'm going to see my father...
Is that so? Well then...

What...?
Dr. Kasal?
Sidney keeps us updated with news from Caduceus. In fact, we just got word about that biohazard at Elysium. Turns out, the GUILT outbreak there was done intentionally. And since Professor Blackwell was once a part of Delphi maybe he knows something that would give us some insight into the attack.

Delphi was the organization that researches, produces and releases GUILT into the world.

W-Wait a second, Dr. Kasal! All of that may be true, but... It's Angie's day off! She shouldn't have to--
No, it's alright, Doctor. I was planning on talking to my father about it anyway.
What...?
Dr. Niguel and the others are working overtime to analyze the samples we obtained. If they're going to sacrifice their time for the sake of research then, as a member of Caduceus, I want to do everything I can, too. That's why I wanted to take this opportunity to visit my father. I'd like to see if he knows anything.
Well if that's the case, wouldn't it be best if someone familiar with the situation accompanied you? It'd be a good idea... right?
Y-Yes...
Then, it's decided.
But...
Well, it makes perfect sense, doesn't it? Just because you work here doesn't mean you're no longer a member of Caduceus. So, shouldn't you be doing everything you can?
Y-Yes, ma'am...!
And it may be a good time to start reconsidering your duties at Caduceus, anyway. You've had a lot of time to pull yourself together here... It isn't too much to ask, right?
That's true... Well, Angie... Would it be alright fi I went with you tomorrow?
O-Of course...! I'd be glad to have you along!
(Alright, there's a step in the right direction.)
(Boy, those two can be a handful.)

Not that Angie know about most of this until the end of UtK.

It's been a while.

So many new sprites this chapter!

That's alright. I understand how little time doctors have to themselves.
How have you been? I brought the data Caduceus asked me to show you.
Are those the results of the additional tests I asked Victor to perform? ...Hm, just as I suspected.
Um... How is your progress going on that research anyway, Professor?
...You haven't already heard?
I've... kept my distance from GUILT research lately...
Really? Well, a doctor with your attitude couldn't have picked a worse time to do that.
Huh...?
...What have you found out?

Well color me surprised :rolleyes:

Someone is trying to revive the ideas of Delphi... Perhaps "trying" isn't the right word. They've already succeeded.
What!? Then, Delphi is back in operation again!?
Are you talking about what happened at Elysium...!?
I've verified this with Caduceus, and there is no evidence that would suggest otherwise. Elysium's GUILT outbreak... There was no accident. It was the return of medical terrorism. We've performed numerous tests on the tissue extracted from that boy they called a "Sinner" and our conclusion is that his strain of GUILT certainly didn't come from a natural mutation.
Medical terrorism... Not again...
I told the authorities everything I knew about Delphi... And the U.N. successfully incapacitated them. But there were still some loose ends that didn't get tied up: one of those being the whereabouts of a number of GUILT researchers...
There were others besides you!?
Well, their leader, Adam, was of course one of them. But there were others, referred to only by their codenames. "Vampir," "Cuculus," "Torperi," and "Cuoco." To my knowledge, they were all apprehended, except one... "Zum Whol."

Zum Whol doesn't mean anything in any language, but Zum Wohl does. Seems like it means "for the good of ".

So one of them escaped?
Yes. And knowing that has caused me quite a dilemma... Should I continue with my research? Or seek out the shadows of Delphi...?

*Blackwell collapses*

F-Father!?
Professor Blackwell! Are you alright?! Don't tell me it's--

*Someone used the intercom*

Professor Blackwell collapsed! It may be Post-GUILT Syndrome. Please, get him to the medical ward!

...I guess I forgot to mention that Blackwell contracted GUILT (Savato), huh? Whoops :sweatdrop:

Wait, Doctor! My father has a research lab in this building! It's better equipped than the medical ward, so we should run the tests on him there!
I see. Then, please take the Professor there immediately!
O-Okay...!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

show of hands, who is surprised he collapsed?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I actually really like the sprite changes. It's a nice bit of effort, and honestly, they look very nice too.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

No...!
His heart is being affected, and it doesn't look good... We won't be able to transfer him like this.
Then, we'll need to perform the operation here, Doctor! My father's laboratory was funded by Caduceus so we've got all the equipment we'll need. We have to treat him before it gets any worse!
B-But...
Come on, Derek... Do it...
Professor!?
I... have no intention of accepting this... as my punishment. The sins I committed... are far too grave to be atoned for... by my death. It's... just... not... that simple. I... have to live.

Well that certainly is a change from when he was infected with the actual GUILT.

Father, don't speak! We're going to save you!
...Alright, I'll perform the operation. Angie, let's get ready.
Understood!
...... (But... can I really do this? Is it even possible without the Healing Touch...?)

...Why did you guys bring spare scrubs?

Ah...! His vitals have dropped again! His temperature is rising steadily too! Th-This isn't good!
...There's no time to spare.It looks like an operation is our only choice...

Derek is wearing his Hope Hospital outfit here, by the way.

Doctor...?
I-I'm alright. Let's move onto the briefing.
Right away...! My father's-- I mean, the patient's condition is due to Post-GUILT Syndrome. The affected area is the heart, and mutated tumors of an unknown origin have started to form. There is one objective for this operation:
  • Excise and extract the mutated tumors from the heart.
His heart... If I make so much as one mistake...
Please hurry, DOctor! If we lose any more time, his vitals could--
I know!
...!?
S-Sorry. I didn't mean to snap at you. ...Let's get started.
Y-Yes, Doctor...

Operation Video

Let's begin the operation... Doctor... please help my father!

We can't let vitals drop to 50 or below to get max rank, so max it out before diving in.

Are these... tumors!? This is the first time we've seen anything like this... but at least we won't need the ultrasound. Still... teh way they're changing color worries me. Please treat them carefully. PGS has also set in, so don't forget to inject the sedative into the patient.

The tumors here will change colors between red and blue, draining vitals while doing so.

We can only touch them while they're blue, but the game won't tell us until we hosed up.

loving up will result in that tumor releasing gas, which don't have much effect beside giving us a Miss. For now.

Removing it also counts as touching, so it can also only be done while it's blue.

The gas will affect any tumors whose cytoplasm has been drained and cut. It will create blood pools on them and a bunch of inflammations around them. Any membrane placed on top of them will also fall off.

Gelling the membrane will result in a scar. They don't drain vitals, but they will still be affected by the gas.

We need to be quick when removing them; another example of this game prioritizing speed over accuracy. Getting max bonus requires us finishing this operation within a minute on top of not letting the vitals drop too low, which is pretty tight but still plausible.

After we remove all four tumors...

We're done treating all the affected areas! I'm so glad... Now my father can--

Here's your reminder that you need Healing Touch to cure Savato.

No!? Another mutated tumor has formed! This can't be... Father...
What is this thing!? It's completely different from the last set of tumors; it's blinking at an incredible speed!

Oh yeah, Derek has changed into his usual operating outfit. Because he brought two set of scrubs apparently.

Doctor! We need to treat it...! Please... Please save him!
Doctor!
No... There's no way I can treat this without the Healing Touch...! I'm going to halt the procedure! ...I'm closing him up!
B-But, Doctor...!
There's just no way to keep going! I'm going to close him up!

T-The patient is closed; the procedure is terminated...

We still save the patient anyway :confuoot:

If you're quick enough and you pay attention to the vitals, getting XS should be no problem.

Both of which are easier said than done, sadly.

That was more like first-aid than an operation. All you did was buy us time. If his strength gives out...
...I know!
But his case of PGS is different from all the others... We don't have enough information. The best thing we can do right now is wait for backup.

There's literally only 3 patients of Savato. One of them is a Sinner who's off somewhere, and the other is Hoffman who seems just fine (for now).

But... with your skills, there's no reason we shouldn't be able to cure him. Your Healing Touch never lost a battle with GUILT...

Right before Derek loses his Healing Touch posted:

Your pride is what caused this mistake! Your dependence on the Healing Touch! Wouldn't you agree!?

Welp. Sucks to be you, Angie.

There's no point in wishing we had something we don't.
...I'm going to report his case to Caduceus. Maybe they can give us some idea of how to treat this. If his condition changes, inform me right away. *leaves*
Doctor... I--

Don't you feel GUILTy for plagiarism?

6-2 Culuruma

It feels like the tumors in this game change colors more quickly. Maybe it's because we have to move the stylus to the scalpel icon before cutting.

Obviously the fast last tumor is new. Otherwise you'd be hosed if you play as Valerie.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Another really neat ending for a operation. "Welp, can't do anything more now, close'm up and hope someone else can deal with it' is kinda refreshing.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Your daily reminder that Angie is terrible and this is all her fault.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Seriously people have so much goddamn expectations from Derek jesus.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SSNeoman posted:

Seriously people have so much goddamn expectations from Derek jesus.

He earned that though. He's the miraculous doctor that stopped GUILT and saved the world from medical terrorism, basically alone, with his magical Healing Touch

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
So is there still one more procedure with Mary or what?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Blaze Dragon posted:

I actually really like the sprite changes. It's a nice bit of effort, and honestly, they look very nice too.

and black too, if Blackwell doesnt make it they already have their funeral stuff.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Let's get to the next page before the next update.

Here's something tangentially related to the LP: I recently replayed Second Opinion, and I forgot how bad Savato is in that game. The bit where you have to laser it for a certain period of time before it'll take damage is ridiculous, especially since it becomes invincible when it attacked :argh:

On a happier note, I finally managed to beat X6 with 4 seconds to spare :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I'm getting the sense that Under the Knife 2 is mostly just a good soundtrack attached to a mediocre game.