Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

twistedmentat posted:

I was hoping Fishing would be made a little easier, but its still rear end, and all the advice i find online is contradictory,

You've tried the training rod? What are you struggling with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ILL Machina posted:

You've tried the training rod? What are you struggling with?

Yea tired it, but I need to get the rarer fish to finish the Community Center challenges. And its the fish zip up and down so quickly and erratically i find hard to keep it on the hook.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
If you're having trouble, try downing some trout soup and attaching a lure that lowers the drop of the catch meter. Fishing skill can go above 10 with buffs, and it increases the catch bar accordingly.

's how I used to catch Legends. Only fish I had trouble with.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
What really amazes me is how 1.4 has turned me away from making some straight-up money choices in favor of the chill choice, like taking trapper over fisher, or not going with pure money crops, and instead making neat little culture patches, or not going 100% mine-diving on a rainy day with decent luck, but instead swinging for a couple of ore-goals and then finishing up some other day-goals above ground.

The only thing I'm still occasionally looking up is gifts, because I can never remember the "majority-likes" or "majority-neutrals" with the exception of stuff like Linus liking horse-radish (because I always bee-lined for sashimi with him), Haley liking Daffodils (for some reason), Emily liking amethysts, and everyone liking sashimi, of course.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Also, remember the bar has mass and is rubber, and thus inertia and momentum and collision elasticity (it bounces off the edges). Quick clicks hold it in place, longer ones apply more force. You can press C to cast or reel as well. Sometimes that or alternating works better for people.

If you know you're chasing a quick fish, just start lifting that bar asap. It's easier to raise than drop. Sometimes fish will bounce around a resting point and it's not worth chasing them much around their current "height" since they'll float within a margin or bounce chooser to the actual current height.

My guess is that there are semi scripted levels the fish jump to and there is something like "error" so the fish picks a spot somewhat close to it's next scripted position.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 5, 2019

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Duzzy Funlop posted:

What really amazes me is how 1.4 has turned me away from making some straight-up money choices in favor of the chill choice, like taking trapper over fisher, or not going with pure money crops, and instead making neat little culture patches, or not going 100% mine-diving on a rainy day with decent luck, but instead swinging for a couple of ore-goals and then finishing up some other day-goals above ground.

The only thing I'm still occasionally looking up is gifts, because I can never remember the "majority-likes" or "majority-neutrals" with the exception of stuff like Linus liking horse-radish (because I always bee-lined for sashimi with him), Haley liking Daffodils (for some reason), Emily liking amethysts, and everyone liking sashimi, of course.

Everybody but the children Likes Coffee, while Harvey Loves it. Also, if you're going the beer baron route (which you probably should be), save a few rounds for Pam and Shane.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Shane and Pam are more cheaply and efficiently appeased with Hot Peppers and Parsnips respectively. Save gold star produce for them and they will be your buddy forever awful fast.

I recommend cheap gems like amethyst and topaz for gifts anyway. They’re a universal Like with Clint, Emily, Abigail, and the Dwarf loving one or both. You will have a nontrivial amount of them just for dropping into the mines and you will probably have a crystalarium lying around from the community center or museum donations where you can get an extra one per day. Buying love with them will be a lot cheaper than throwing coffee at the problem.

Leah, Linus, and Pierre dislike them but two of them are easily satisfied in other ways and the last one is Pierre.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Seems to me that almost everyone likes Mayo so I'm just handing out fistfuls of mayonnaise all over town, at least in year one :shrug:

Is there a difference when giving different star value items? I always assumed gifts always filled the same amount of hearts as others in the same category no matter the quality but it sounds like maybe that's not the case?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

explosivo posted:

Seems to me that almost everyone likes Mayo so I'm just handing out fistfuls of mayonnaise all over town, at least in year one :shrug:

Is there a difference when giving different star value items? I always assumed gifts always filled the same amount of hearts as others in the same category no matter the quality but it sounds like maybe that's not the case?

It is not the case.

https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Friendship#Gifts

Gift points are dependent on star quality (not base price), appreciation, and birthdays. A plain spring onion works the same as a plain horseradish on Linus, though, for instance (both Likes).

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 5, 2019

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Well son of a bitch that might explain some things.

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

drunkencarp posted:

What I’m picking up is that everybody is intrigued by Stardew Valley Expanded but nobody has bit the bullet and tried it out.

so hey, it turns out I played a few seasons of SVE while waiting for 1.4 to come out. so trip report:

• installation is not too bad, but does require tracking down a list of individual mods
  • there's a new intro. the mod author must have a thing for finance jobs
  • there's about five new npcs with fully daily schedules and dialogue, as well as heart events. their implementation was technically solid from what I saw. I didn't unlock many heart events for the new characters before I stopped playing, but did see their characterization from daily and festival dialogue. the writing can be uneven, but I liked a lot of the daily dialogue in particular
  • the game world is expanded, and a lot of the new locations are nice. you can visit the mountain top area above the railroad tracks, there's a lost woods , there's a vineyard and several npc farms; as well as new areas to the east of town, but those are pretty half-baked. you can cut between the bus stop and the mountain path north of your farm, which is A+.
  • one downside to all the extra stuff is that the southern forest and the railroad area are way more cluttered, without the open wilderness of the base game
  • everyone in town now has a garden. Pierre has a garden, the community center has a garden, even Marnie has a garden, which sprawls way out into the path between your southern exit and town and gets in the way. there's a community garden south of the museum, and an abandoned community garden east of town, which Lewis offers you in case you want to manage a small plot of land way across the map
  • there's a weird new plot involving Marlon and a knightly order that fights monsters, and he recruits you to his cause or something. also the adventurer's guild is now located in town
  • the density of trees and forage goods is cranked up
  • your farm is huge, and has a river + lake, an expanded cave with its own lake, a quarry, hot springs, a shed, a hidden forage area, etc. it's a lot, but if you want a really big farm you might like it
  • parts of the mod are clearly wip. there's a gigantic empty field east of town that goes to nowhere; and the npc for the vineyard hasn't been added yet, meaning the vineyard's just a cool looking set piece

overall not as solid or cohesive as the original, but it's an impressive effort for a mod, and new content is fun. I'd say try it out

Mr. Podunkian
Feb 28, 2005

welcome to murder city, i'm the mayor

WarpedNaba posted:

I'mma clock the thing on vanilla (And get them 14-heart events with the ladies) before trying my hand on SMAPI again.

as part of my playtesting for 1.4, i married, 14-hearted and divorced every marriageable candidate in pelican town. incidentally the game also has this cool new feature where exes don't attend your weddings, which meant my last marriage was a bit of a ghost town...

it also has a thing where exes don't talk to you normally on festivals, so it was great to go to a fun town gathering and have half the people there just say some variation of 'please, leave me alone...'

(also holy moly haley's divorce dialogue is BRUTAL)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
SVE canonized the Wizard Abby thing which isn't something I'm a fan of

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

On the other hand, anyone who wants to have Pierre taken down a peg will be delighted that he's a cuckold.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i just like growing crops and fishing, not fantasizing about weird sexual poo poo in the cartoon farming game

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Well, excuse us for being single.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Tired Moritz posted:

SVE canonized the Wizard Abby thing which isn't something I'm a fan of

The base game basically tells you this already, it just doesn't make it explicit? But all the pieces are there and connecting them is almost done for you.

that aside, I read through a couple expanded dialogue mods before deciding not to install them and several of them do have an unfortunate habit of taking one thing from the base game and hanging 600 new dialogue lines off it so I'm not surprised SVE would do this.

It's a tough tightrope when you don't have a lot of base dialogue to work with but you want to expand a character and still stay 'true' to their original version. Writing new dialogue that will still ring correctly to the players is a hell of a lot harder than just playing really hard on existing themes. I think one mod I looked at had Abigail call you pumpkin about 45 times after getting married because she says it like once in the main game. It drove me up a wall just reading the script, and that kinda thing was common.

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 5, 2019

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I meant to do a write up about Stardew Expanded but got distracted getting high and playing 1.4. I played it for almost 4 seasons and 10 hearted everyone.

The map is HUGE. Both your farm and the world map.

The world map has a ton of new locations which I kind of like. The forest to the south is larger with a poo poo load more trees, there is a secret woods to the south of that with a poo poo ton of forage in it and some new vendors but you need to use hidden paths in the forest to get there, and an even larger forest to the west with even more loving trees. The forest to the west also has a building that doesn't do anything for the time being and another hidden vendor. Keep in mind I'm probably underselling how many pine trees are in the new forests. I think I spent 3 in game days with an Iridium axe chopping from 8 am - 12 am and maybe cut down 2/3 of the trees.

The railroad map is expanded with a mountaintop you can reach. I really liked the mountaintop and would stand there for hours watching the sun set. There are gardens everywhere like the other guy said, the adventurer's guild being in town is pretty great, and there are just more paths everywhere to get around. One of which is a path exiting the beach to the west which leads to a vineyard without an npc there and leads to the south woods near the sewer entrance. The path between the bus stop and the north path out of your farm is the best. The town also has new poo poo like a hot springs in town that takes a while get access to.

The new characters are pretty fleshed out but keep in mind the new dialog is abso-loving-lutely cringe worthy. I would openly laugh at the 2 responses you would be given which always amounted to "I understand your feelings and you are totally right" or "gently caress off I'm leaving." The guy brags its inspired by Earthbound, a massive red flag to me. Still, there are a lot of new scenes even with established characters I kind of liked.

He added in a new "quest" where while digging or finding treasure chests fishing you'll find "hints" that tell you about the new vendors, how to find some scenes, or just to help you with the secrets already in the game. It was a nice addition and I kind of miss it.

If you install the map that comes with the mod its loving ENOURMOUS. I think at one point it would take me 2 days to plant everything even with time slowed to 10 seconds = 10 minutes instead of 7 seconds and using pepper poppers. I want to say I was planting over 1000 ancient fruit by year 3 on top of 30-40 of a few other crops. That's on top of having 10 barns, a chicken coop, a large fenced area for my animals when I still felt like dealing with them, a medium sized orchard, and I STILL had portions of the map I hadn't touched. Plus all the other amenities you find that the other poster mentioned.

Its a worthwhile mod if you want to try something new. The reasons I didn't install it for 1.4 is I figured he would need a few weeks to update it and I just didn't feel like dealing with the large map. If you're curious about anything else in it I might be able to answer.

Also to the poster that was asking about speed mods I use Time Speed and started using Auto Speed to increase my walking speed since the Horse Whistle mod is broken. Just be sure to mess with settings in the config.json files in the mod folders. The default move speed is one and the Auto Speed mod starts it at 5 of all things. I put it at 2 and am happy with it.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I just started a new save in 1.4 after not touching this game since the early days and getting grandpa's max approval.

I saw that there was an exploit with club weapons that was used for a 1.3 all bundles speedrun and tried it in 1.4, apparently it was not fixed which is a little funny to me. The exploit in question is the ground slam right click actually lets you mash left click during it to get a lot of extra hits and turbo gently caress up enemies stuck on a wall with no extra animation.

Also I'm still really early on with this save and haven't really seen any new content yet besides noticing there's some new items that drop. When do you really get started with any of the newer stuff? For reference when I did my first save Shane and Emily were announced as marriage candidates, I wanted to wait for Emily, and then I stopped playing before I actually married anyone around the time the patch actually dropped.

LordOfTheNoobs
Sep 7, 2009

Ultima66 posted:

I saw that there was an exploit with club weapons that was used for a 1.3 all bundles speedrun and tried it in 1.4, apparently it was not fixed which is a little funny to me. The exploit in question is the ground slam right click actually lets you mash left click during it to get a lot of extra hits and turbo gently caress up enemies stuck on a wall with no extra animation.

They've actually fixed a few bugs involving that club attack that would get you softlocked without removing the quirk itself, which I find even more amusing.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WarpedNaba posted:

Well, excuse us for being single.

Ever think about why

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Because it would be the decent thing to do.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The Portia talk got me thinking, what other games in the game (general) vibe exist? I find myself kinda done with Starview (in terms of stuff to do except make a ton of money and buy the money sinks), and want a chill game similar, but as far as I know the answers are a bit sparse.

I've dug Portia in the past, but not really feeling it right now. I've got plenty to do in Graveyard Keeper, but actually doing some of it is paining my rear end something fierce.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Rune Factory 3 & 4 are good, assuming you can tolerate anime. Big variety of stuff to do and an actual plot, but ultimately pretty chill since there's no real time pressure involved. The characters are 3 are considerably more insane than the ones in 4; whether that's a pro or a con is up to you.

There's also the OG Harvest Moons/Story of Seasons series, if you haven't touched that yet. I personally find the PS1/PS2/Gamecube eras of it most fun, but there's enough variety in the series that there's probably a game for everyone.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Harvest Moon and Rune Factory are the obvious ones, but mostly on portables (maybe Animal Crossing too?)

Maybe try Slime Rancher?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Starting in rune factory 3 you can overhand pitch any item at your friends as a means of giving gifts and that alone makes it a good game.

What was the other spooky farm game that wasnt graveyard keeper or whatever?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tylana posted:

Maybe try Slime Rancher?

Yeah, I thought about that seconds after posting, but it's kinda in the Stardew Valley situation where I'm kinda done with it. I've got every slime largo covering every plort output, and all I've got to do is the DLC side areas and that's just a bunch of (forgive the pun) farming them all up for things I don't really need.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Uncle Wemus posted:

What was the other spooky farm game that wasnt graveyard keeper or whatever?

Gleaner Heights? The one that's supposed to have some Twin Peaks-ish overtones and looks exactly like SV but less pretty? I've always been curious about it but not enough so to play. Reviews are pretty tepid at 70% positive

I adore Slime Rancher and have also played it to death, but much like Stardew it's been a several-year break and I've picked up the new cosmetic pack and look forward to playing again when the winter event starts up soon :3:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Gleaner’s review dings mostly center around it being a little less user friendly than SV in terms of interface, which is kind of a big deal in my book because SV already has a lot of little UI niggles that I really wish we would have grown beyond but still haven’t - like loading edibles into kegs/jars at scale. It’d be great if we could just turn off eating behavior for a while so we could just run down a row of kegs to load them. You can do this with wheat and it’s delightful, but loading in a ton of cranberries or whatever is still hitting esc on the eat dialog like 10 times to load a barn of kegs.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

flesh dance posted:

Gleaner Heights? The one that's supposed to have some Twin Peaks-ish overtones and looks exactly like SV but less pretty? I've always been curious about it but not enough so to play. Reviews are pretty tepid at 70% positive

I adore Slime Rancher and have also played it to death, but much like Stardew it's been a several-year break and I've picked up the new cosmetic pack and look forward to playing again when the winter event starts up soon :3:

Gleaner Heights is fun! It's no Stardew obviously, and goes well into the other direction but it handles it quite well. Just as large, good content, largely good characters. It's just the setting is horrible cult town and most of the townsfolk are in said cult that makes it a bit weird.

A lot of that 70% was people review bombing it on day one for "ripping off Stardew". Game itself is fine.

Mind you yet again, you need to be really into the Twin Peaks/horrible cult aesthetic because it permeates the game. Several people in the game really, really suck. Like one is a wife beater for example. On the other side of the coin, unlike Stardew you can get rid of the people you don't want, and the game adjusts accordingly and people react to it.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Rookersh posted:

Mind you yet again, you need to be really into the Twin Peaks/horrible cult aesthetic because it permeates the game.

Boy, am I. Good to hear that it's decent. Maybe I'll finally give it a go... after my current Stardew run!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I'd like to get Gleaner Heights on Switch. Is there any reason I should get it on PC instead? (e.g. modding, performance)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
God drat this is why i hate fishing.

Nearly 100%, then the fish drops to the bottom in the blink of an eye and before the box got to the bottom its gone. This is with some trout soup, bait and the fiberglass rod.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

'ere, whatever happened to Atomikrops?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

twistedmentat posted:

God drat this is why i hate fishing.

Nearly 100%, then the fish drops to the bottom in the blink of an eye and before the box got to the bottom its gone. This is with some trout soup, bait and the fiberglass rod.
Yeah :sigh:, this is why the iridium rod and trap bobbers are such a game-changer. Slowing down the rate at which fish escape is huge.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

MisterBibs posted:

The Portia talk got me thinking, what other games in the game (general) vibe exist? I find myself kinda done with Starview (in terms of stuff to do except make a ton of money and buy the money sinks), and want a chill game similar, but as far as I know the answers are a bit sparse.

I've dug Portia in the past, but not really feeling it right now. I've got plenty to do in Graveyard Keeper, but actually doing some of it is paining my rear end something fierce.

rune factory is getting a port to the switch soon/now and is one of the best games of the genre, imo

Mr. Podunkian
Feb 28, 2005

welcome to murder city, i'm the mayor

Coolguye posted:

It’d be great if we could just turn off eating behavior for a while so we could just run down a row of kegs to load them. You can do this with wheat and it’s delightful, but loading in a ton of cranberries or whatever is still hitting esc on the eat dialog like 10 times to load a barn of kegs.

this actually was added in for a few of cases in 1.4 -- basically, the "eat item?" prompt doesn't pop up if you're holding down the button anymore (it only shows up on a fresh click), so as long as you put the first item in a machine successfully, you can just keep the button held and run along your machines to fill them. the same goes for petting animals and harvesting items out of ponds, etc.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

WarpedNaba posted:

It's on the Epic Store. Maybe in Early Access, but playable with content and stuff, have seen it on youtube.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

WarpedNaba posted:

its got that same hideous artstyle Nidhogg 2 has

played a little bit but it was still super early access and there wasn't much to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Waaaaaait, they said they were gonna be an Epic exclusive. Why.