Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Dementropy posted:

Star Citizen: Sunk Post Fallacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Hi Verchites :wave:

Thanks for pledging to SomethingAwful and promoting these forums :v:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

It's ok.

Lies and deceit are part of the Star Citizen experience. :)

This is just like another level for their characters for citizens.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Quavers posted:

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Bubbacub posted:

Not gonna lie, this did make me feel nostalgic for System Shock 2.

YOU CAN"T LOAD THE VIDEO UNTIL YOU HAVE KILLED ALL THE BLACK ANNELID EGGS INSECT!

YOU GOT 15 OUT OF 16! GO BACK AND FIND THE ONE YOU MISSED WITHOUT A MAP!

there did i cure it?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lol imagine giving a single spiral-shaped poo poo about the kind of capital I Internet Rules vertisce obsesses about every single time he opens his browser

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

TheAgent posted:

my side project is still ongoing if you are interested in coming aboard. between working 10 hour days and classes and jogging and trying to remain sober I'm surprised I'm pumping out around 5k words a week on this trash

This is good news for parody development

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Hello

Going to go ahead and say that this space game seems to have a real lack of space objectives and gameplay and that's pretty strange considering all the progress that's been made on trains.

Or guns.

Or t-shirts.

Or anything besides space gameplay really. Really odd.

Is this space game off track!??

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I just wanted to doxx this poor man too.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Lol imagine giving a single spiral-shaped poo poo about the kind of capital I Internet Rules vertisce obsesses about every single time he opens his browser

He does know Reddit Staff loves posts on the website being linked to from elsewhere, right?

Traffic = advertising = money

:homebrew:

Hey, that works for SA too. Thanks for the links, Verchites!

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Raskolnikov posted:

Hello

Going to go ahead and say that this space game seems to have a real lack of space objectives and gameplay and that's pretty strange considering all the progress that's been made on trains.

Or guns.

Or t-shirts.

Please keep that FUD to yourself. Nervous space fans read these pages :ohdear:

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Quavers posted:

Thank to Vertisce for providing endless amusement.
And.
On behalf of Goons everywhere, thank you for feeding our advertising and keeping this site alive.

Dogeh fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 6, 2019

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

skeletors_condom posted:

Here is an ascending list of our estimates for total fundraising as of December 1. Looks like UnknownTarget had the closest estimate if we assume that the time period ends at midnight Saturday in PST.

Current: $250,006,142 - Sunday, December 1st, 03:00 EST (00:00 PST)
Average: $255,280,739
Median (full million): $255,000,000

=================================================

$242,199,498 - Aramoro
$242,779,812 - Viscous Soda
$245,150,420 - Taintrunner
$246,473,284 - Beexoffel
$246,512,768 - Spatial
$246,948,655 - TheAgent
$246,948,658 - Sandweed
$247,420,069 - Thoatse
$247,696,969 - Bubbacub
$247,861,935 - Jobbo_Fett
$248,420,069 - Dwesa
$248,424,242 - monkeytek
$248,457,941 - Kosumo
$248,902,021 - Sabreseven
$249,842,042 - The Titanic
$250,000,000 - UnknownTarget
$250,424,242 - Quavers
$251,000,000 - zebedy
$251,227,605 - Zzr
$251,345,678 - Barfolemew
$251,947,069 - Koil
$252,020,240 - Mr.PayDay
$252,080,085 - AutismVaccine
$252,639,488 - DigitalPenny
$253,112,149 - downout
$253,284,764 - skeletors_condom
$253,769,823 - Dragonrah
$254,421,541 - SoMoteItBe
$254,545,454 - Bootcha
$254,603,497 - Peter.Quint
$255,000,000 - Iceclaw
$255,328,603 - jarlywarly
$255,420,069 - Sanya Juutilainen
$255,420,693 - Midnight Voyager
$255,743,119 - precision
$256,789,012 - h3isenbug
$257,024,024 - Hazamuth
$258,000,000 - Inacio
$258,522,420 - Baxta
$258,895,345 - GoingPostal
$260,000,000 - Agony Aunt
$260,000,001 - Blue On Blue
$261,135,996 - Jonny Shiloh
$261,227,605 - 1500
$262,114,501 - Differo Cathedra
$262,424,244 - commando in tophat
$262,426,969 - Dogeh
$263,100,100 - Colostomy Bag
$264,300,000 - Shazback
$264,666,666 - trucutru
$265,000,000 - Ponzi
$265,213,721 - Kikas Sign
$265,227,605 - his nibs
$266,666,666 - Orions Lord
$267,593,481 - Bofast
$267,999,999 - Zazz Razzamatazz
$275,301,250 - Dark Off (@1.1 FX)

spacetoaster 1$
Zaphod42 1m

Note: I might have missed someone or got something wrong. I am not running this, did it just for fun.

You were spot on.

CONGRATULATIONS.

$250,000,000 - UnknownTarget - Needs to enable PMs, or gift will roll over to next person in line.
$250,424,242 - Quavers

Congratucitizens!

Check your PMs.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

no_recall posted:

CONGRATULATIONS.

$250,000,000 - UnknownTarget - Needs to enable PMs, or gift will roll over to next person in line.
$250,424,242 - Quavers

Congratucitizens!

Check your PMs.

I was so close.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Hey Vertisce buddy, keep on doing what you are doing. Eventually we'll all be playing Santaball while listening to Full Burn on repeat.

You loving chode.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I keep forgetting that part of the Star Citizen Multimedia Experience is that there are a nonzero number of people who think this dead gay forum is secretly, immensely diabolical and powerful

Who told them?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Raskolnikov posted:

Hello

Or guns.

Or t-shirts.

Making an FPS game with CryEngine is kind of what it's built for. Sorry you guys thought otherwise. :)

I'm looking forward to team death match except it's super janky! All that and only 8 after years! We should be honored!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

no_recall posted:

CONGRATULATIONS.

$250,424,242 - Quavers

Congratucitizens!

Check your PMs.

Holy poo poo I knew it! This is a message from above!

Squadron 42 in 2020 is real!

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

its great how the game founded on being idiotically realistic is now just a stack of lies

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

'you know they are just telling you what you want to hear right?'

'but i like what i'm hearing!'

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

precision posted:

I keep forgetting that part of the Star Citizen Multimedia Experience is that there are a nonzero number of people who think this dead gay forum is secretly, immensely diabolical and powerful

Who told them?

They got to never stop believing. :)

Once they do, they need to come to terms with the fact the game has been an almost decade long train wreck of disaster, incompetence, mismanagement, borderline fraud, and lots of lies purely targeted to get them to part with their money so a select few people can go gently caress off in Hollywood and live on vacations constantly.

So yeah, it's totally goons making them do all these bad things and definitely not the scum of the earth you should not be giving your money to.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

precision posted:

Who told them?

Well, ever since "Operation Potato" there has been rumours, but the top secret goon Opsec division deals mostly with that stuff, including the ongoing development of CR's 'trigger' phrases.

The only mistake so far was when the trigger phrase was "fire the big one", which was supposed to make CR suddenly enamoured with large guns and divert funds and time in developing them, but when it was uttered to him he happened to be looking directly at Ben, and well, yeah.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

no_recall posted:

CONGRATULATIONS.

$250,424,242 - Quavers

Congratucitizens!

Check your PMs.

Uh...how do I enable PMs? I've tried searching but to no avail.

Edit: oh I have to upgrade to platinum? What is this, star citizen? I'll have to pass then, can't justify spending the $10 right now.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
If you believe you're not funding the Hollywood joy ride for a small group of undeserving people, you could go to the horrible doxxer site know in the dark side of the internet as "IMDb.com" (but you'll probably be put on a few watch lists if you go here!!!) and dare to type in Sandi Gardner and view her astonishing list of movies she's been in while also being the VP of marketing for CIG!

And I know what you're thinking, "all the c-suite staff at the company I work at are horribly busy people who seem like all they do is eat, sleep and live my company!"

And you'd have to wonder what the gently caress is wrong with them since clearly they should also have tons of time to go be Hollywood movie actors and actresses. Obviously being a high level employee leading teams of many people is basically child's play.

Especially when it's a company that is making a profit off of donations rather than you know, selling an actual loving product like every other company in the world has to do to stay solvent.

So yes, all that money. All those DONATIONS. I wonder where those are coming from???

Oh wait! It's you! You're the ugly loving monster at the end of the book making this all possible! Haha!

It's like you fucks are going to Kickstarter and searching "help undeserving people live on vacations, mansions, expensive clothes, exotic cars, and help them relive their Hollywood dream" with a big fat smile on your face and going "yes, yes! This is what I want to sink thousands of dollars into!"

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Bumble He posted:

its the thoatse posts that make me stop scrolling.
mr. thoatse when are you gonna release your collected work on blue ray?

two weeks, 90 days tops!

https://i.imgur.com/iO5Gi4w.mp4

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Thom12255 posted:

You think Chris could just pay Frontier to let him use their engine?

That would be sensible if they were developing a game. I mean most devs would actually think for five seconds about a suitable engine beforehand, but if your dev cycle is so long that everyone has lapped you many times over it's sensible to scrap it and license a different engine. Hell, call Hello Games and hack your fidelity into the NMS engine so you have both flight and spacelegs paid for. This will be what happens in a game that eventually comes out and eats SC's entire lunch for non-dreams.txt thing you could reasonably do in a video game. It's not like crobbler has done anything but assets so it's still a pretty good time to switch.

Fortunately they're not developing a game and any engine is suitable when you promise dreams.txt.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

precision posted:

Who told them?

Also lol that they're terrified of being doxxed by us when Derek Smart was perma'd for doing that. gently caress that poo poo

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Sand worm hole is not a joke!

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Blog of July.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Goonfear slider set to the maximum.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

no_recall posted:

Congratucitizens!

Check your PMs.

I have been undercuted and feel that my valor is stolen. I require a refund for the 10m I slapped on the initial number.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Friend on discord had backed this during the original kickstarter for whatever the lowest tier was. He decided to install and fire it up tonight with streaming on. He tried the FPS deathmatch thing or whatever but gave up after it spent 10 minutes looking for opponents. Then he loaded up the 'game proper.' He spent 20 minutes wandering around trying to figure out how to spawn a ship so he could do something while watching people slide around and NPCs walk inside of each other getting 30 fps with a 1080ti. He somehow managed to accept a mission while he was on an elevator but it said that he needed to go 50 km away. Still unable to figure out how to spawn a ship he gave up and loaded arena commander or whatever. A ship spawned and flew back and forth at him for around 5 minutes before it started firing and blew him up. This repeated 2 more times and then he gave up and uninstalled it again.

Good game. Bet he wishes he'd spent thousands now.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.
I tried this just a few months back to much the same effect. There's certainly something there, but the nicest thing I can say about it is that "it's something"

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Raskolnikov posted:

I just wanted to doxx this poor man too.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

The Titanic posted:

:glomp:

I never went away, only sank into obscurity for a while to let Star Citizen gestate into a real big game and be successful as it is destined to do.

Clearly I didn't wait long enough! :)

Hey I believe you won the citizen con fundraising total guessing game. Spending millions out of your own pocket to rig the contest was a bold move but it will pay off when your ships appreciate in value

e: god dammit that will teach me to not read the last page of the thread

Solarin fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Dec 6, 2019

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

It’s not even an Uh-Oh anymore. They have admitted to making pretty demos for the yearly con-job. Sure they do not shout it from the rooftops, but it’s very much a “everyone knows that, who cares” from the faithful by now.

Not everyone knows that, and it’s deceptive as poo poo still, but for the cult, it’s fine.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Talran posted:

I tried this just a few months back to much the same effect. There's certainly something there, but the nicest thing I can say about it is that "it's something"

Every tech demo has something there. A lot of them have more than that.
Of course if eight years later you still have a tech demo in your hands with tech debt all over the place (even for proof-of-concept level of new features / mechanics), then, well you have probably failed to make the transition to a viable product.

Unless of course you have fooled people in funding your never ending and ever expanding dream.

Probably why publishers have turned down Crobbler, but elite PC gamerz created a cult around him.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Drunk Theory posted:

It’s not even an Uh-Oh anymore. They have admitted to making pretty demos for the yearly con-job. Sure they do not shout it from the rooftops, but it’s very much a “everyone knows that, who cares” from the faithful by now.

Not everyone knows that, and it’s deceptive as poo poo still, but for the cult, it’s fine.

Well, as far as I recall, the current narrative was "yeah, we did that in the past, but no more". But I might have that wrong, because who knows with this dumpster fire where the project leader casually absolves himself.

And keep in mind that, during the actual early days of the project, Crobbear explicitly said they would not do demos specifically for conventions. Same interview with "things will become stale after 2015" iirc.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

When are we going to reveal to the SC sub that Vertisce has been a deep cover goon plant to make the Citizens look bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Can't believe Vertisce reads the thread more than I do