Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Yo muricans, where do you buy gw paint at a discount?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Miniature Market

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

the_seventh_cohort posted:

If I buy a venerable dreadnought and normal dreadnought, will there be enough bits (legplates, sarcophagui, etc) left over to run the normal dread as venerable as well?

"Venerable" is more a state of mind than anything else. If anybody tries to argue with you about it then they're a complete prick who should be shunned by your entire community.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I've been playing this game on and off for eight years but you could put any roughly brick-shaped object with stubby legs on the table right in front of me, say it's some implacable bishop dread or whatnot, and I'd probably believe you.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

ThoraxTheImpaler posted:

"Venerable" is more a state of mind than anything else. If anybody tries to argue with you about it then they're a complete prick who should be shunned by your entire community.

My second VenDread is the old old pewter Bjorn dread that is kinda sorta Venerable!

bij
Feb 24, 2007

It's a bummer the guy who did essentially all of the 30K Solar Auxilia left so there's probably not going to be some Veletaris++ Stormtrooper stand-ins done up like the command section dudes.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

ThoraxTheImpaler posted:

I mean what's the difference anyway? A better BS/WS? Do they have more wounds and weapon options too?

I think I'd just make a venerable dreadnought because they look cooler and tell people it's a bog standard dread.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Your venerable dread can be from whatever kit, but you should still bling it out. Purity seals, kill marks, some cool freehand, truck nutz, whatever

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

fashionly snort posted:

Your venerable dread can be from whatever kit, but you should still bling it out. Purity seals, kill marks, some cool freehand, truck nutz, whatever

To be fair you should always do that with everything. More bling is more better.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Yeah, if you're not going ham with the baroque ornamentation then you're selling yourself short in this game.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
That's why the new sisters models are so bad rear end, they are like peak 40K. Flying cherubs, church pulpits with flamethrowers, the whole shebang

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

If I buy a venerable dreadnought and normal dreadnought, will there be enough bits (legplates, sarcophagui, etc) left over to run the normal dread as venerable as well?

paint it up slightly fancier

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Venerate the dread when you set it on the table.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
The venerable dread kit does come with multiple fancy sarcophagi and shoulders. I don’t remember if it comes with multiple leg plates.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
its very much the same school of having a sufficiently blinged out tac squad sergeant be your chapter master.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Kitchner posted:

I mean what's the difference anyway? A better BS/WS? Do they have more wounds and weapon options too?

I think I'd just make a venerable dreadnought because they look cooler and tell people it's a bog standard dread.

BS\WS 2+, 6+++ FNP. That's it. And if you're Iron Hands you already have 6+++, so that part is wasted. It's usually better to go cheap with a regular dread or go all the way with Forge World madness.

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008

Kitchner posted:

I did a bunch of spreadsheet math a couple of months ago trying to do some efficiency comparison on the dreadnoughts, and the effectiveness per point is roughly the same ignoring external modifiers like chapter tactics. Venerables are more reliable and harder to kill but more expensive - a slightly more elite version of the model, exactly as you'd expect.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Character dreads and leviathans are where it's at.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
librarian dreads

where's the redemptor lib dread gw

where

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm keen for a redemptor chaplain dread or maybe a full on guns redemptor. It's hard to get the classic cannon and fist dread operating well.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

I made a Venerable dread out of a regular plastic dread with some extra ornamentation (a banner and a shield on his arm, as well as some extra purity seals). Let me see if I have the image uploaded somewhere.

Edit: Found it

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I want a Jump Redemptor very bad, like the new Blood Angels jump Contemptor for 30k

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Potential BFF posted:

It's a bummer the guy who did essentially all of the 30K Solar Auxilia left so there's probably not going to be some Veletaris++ Stormtrooper stand-ins done up like the command section dudes.

Holy crap that model is cool. You can make armies of these guys?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
The best dread in 40K is, and will always be, Murderfang. With his Murderclaws and Murderlust.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Dregs posted:

You can yes, but your bank account won't like you.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I think you’re right in track with your thinking, getting the battalions up and running for the CP is really important. I’d add that it kinda depends on local meta and stuff. Sometimes there is like an unspoken rule that you don’t bring a lord of war, like baneblade/knight to sub-1000 games.

You may already be there, but as a side, my favorite configuration of acolytes, is one group with 9 flamer acolyte + leader with flamer, and five demo charges. Another group with 8 normal acolytes + normal leader and six rock saws. The first for lying in wait, the second for normal out of underground charging, possibly perfect ambush if strictly necessary. Those used to be approx 140 & 165 points respectively - I haven’t looked at the updated points, but the demo charges are more expensive now I heard. I like the big flamer/demo unit, as you can often (with lying in wait) kinda congaline it, so the flamers hit the low toughness/armor stuff and the demo charges the heavier stuff. Don’t overestimate the flamers though. The 10 flamers really don’t do much against MEQ for example (about 4 wounds all told). You need demo charges unless it’s t3 with low armor. I run mine as pauper princes, because I super love pp-relic, and save the points on banners (lose out on the extremely good ‘a plan...’ strat and +1 charge). The extra fearless is really good for the large acolyte groups, to bring back the demo/saws with cult reinforcements strat.

Good job on ditching the aberrants and anointed throng. They’re practically unusable now unless it’s super friendly lists. IMO they were barely worth the cost before the points increase and I only really took them because I think the models are mega cool and for my army’s ‘miners union chapter’ fluff - hard hitting,but simply too sqiushy and easy to shoot off the board, for tying up that many points, despite appearances of being durable (t4, 5+, 2.6 wounds really is less survivable intercessors because they’re so vulnerable to low ap fire basically). I hope I’m proven wrong, and they triumphantly dominate the meta, but I’m expecting them to collect dust till CA 2020 :sad:

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I don't think I'll go with Pauper Princes though, the +1 charge from 4AE is too good, and the Bladed Cog battalion seems to fit with my plans for Neophytes perfectly. I'll be more cautious about the flamers though, will just hoard the flamer bits I have until I can make a big squad of 15.

For cracking open marines, are regular acolytes with claws and knives okay at it, or do I really need the saws?

Demo charges are probably too expensive to take on acolytes now, although I'd like to give them a try on bikes still. The saws seem exceptional and belong in the same slot, so I want to bring as many of those as I can, but with the scarcity of saw bits I might have to bring some naked squads as well.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

They're a 30K army, but yea! You'd have to do some converting to get special weapons but I'd imagine the basic lasrifle Auxiliary would work as a guardsman.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Boing posted:

For cracking open marines, are regular acolytes with claws and knives okay at it, or do I really need the saws?

Against Primaris, any boost you can give helps. A regular unit of Acolytes unsupported will quickly be overcome, but one buffed a bit goes a long way. +1S from either the banner or Twisted Helix is huge, rerolling 1s from a banner helps, and +1 to hit from a Primus is great. When you’re slamming into a unit with 60 attacks hitting on 2s, rerolling 1s, wounding on 3s with 0/-1/-4AP it feels good man.

Saws really work best at that level, but that perfect storm is only easy to get started at higher levels, since it’s a lot of points to invest and your Acolytes will still fall to a stiff breeze.

Don’t sell demos short. 5pts isn’t really a terrible deal for occasionally slagging a vehicle or otherwise tough unit. They’re best on bikes or huge surprise units (typically a flamer bomb) but sprinkling them in can hold a nasty surprise. Heck, tossing one before assaulting the above Primaris unit is going to kill ~1 before the knives come out.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 6, 2019

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Potential BFF posted:

They're a 30K army, but yea! You'd have to do some converting to get special weapons but I'd imagine the basic lasrifle Auxiliary would work as a guardsman.

Would honestly say they make even better Scions/Stormtroopers.

Sub in some Volkite troopers for Plasma/Vollygun chumps and you're golden.

the_seventh_cohort
May 4, 2013
Awesome, thanks the answers everyone! Looking forward to getting these put together and painted up.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

The Dregs posted:

you sure as hell can!

Zasze fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 6, 2019

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Giant Isopod posted:

Quoting myself from pages ago: If you have access to a 3D printer, there's some very faithful Kasrkin models. The chunky style lends itself really well to printing.

Don't remember if it was thread, or the mini painting thread, but I know someone printed a mini based off the Saturnine Terminator Armor.

EDIT: Here it is, from the Mini Painting thread:

Ghazk posted:

Bought a photon printer from fellow forum superstar Olloth a few weeks ago. These things are pretty amazing. Currently working on a test build of Saturnine Pattern Terminators based on old Rogue Trader artwork.

Potential BFF posted:

There's a lot of cool Forgeworld stuff I want, but the free shipping minimum for Forgeworld is a lot higher than GW. ($120 versus GW's $65). I'd like to do something from Forgeworld eventually, but I'd have to sit down and figure out what would be the best value.

Along with the higher price, resin sounds like it's harder to work with.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 6, 2019

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
What exactly is stopping Games Workshop from turning the resin kits into plastic ones

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Max Wilco posted:

Along with the higher price, resin sounds like it's harder to work with.

Only marginally, imo. You do have to be a little more careful when you're snipping off gates because resin is more brittle than plastic. You might also need greenstuff for filling in gaps/repairing casting imperfections. Occasionally you'll come across models that have antennae that might be bent or ammo belts/cables that need bending. A little hot water or careful use of a hair dryer can fix that up for ya.

FW orders will come with a handy pamphlet with protips on building resin models.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

goose willis posted:

What exactly is stopping Games Workshop from turning the resin kits into plastic ones

It's a much more expensive outlay to make a kit plastic vs. resin or pewter. The molds for injection molding run in the tens of thousands of dollars, and that's not counting the design for them. GW does most of that in-house, but it's still really expensive, and they only have so much capacity. It makes sense for things they know they'll sell a lot of units of worldwide, but less so for small specialty items that not that many people are going to field. For stuff like that, resin makes more sense.

Not that this means they can't turn things from resin to plastic, of course. They've done it a fair number of times. It's just not something they're likely to do with every resin model.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Dread chat:

No one uses ironclads? Hurricane bolter is good, but I guess the hammer tax is really high. I’m curios about the t8 though, as it seems better than 6+++ considering bolter meta.

Boing posted:

Pierre answered above, but to add; they are good but they are also only a 35 point unit (45 w/ icon), so don’t expect miracles. They’ll kill 2 intercessors (2.5 dead w/ icon, 2.8 dead with pp) on their own, on the charge. For comparison purposes, a little bit less than 30 guardsmen, in rapid fire range, with first rank fire/second rank fire orders on all of them. If you substitute a claw/knife for a rock saw, it jumps to 3.8 dead intercessors with icon (but now a 55 point unit). Buff with +1 str is obviously amazing against t4 (and to a lesser extent t8).

A 5 man unit will absolutely be wiped out by literally anything that fights them first or survives though, and will be shot off the board by even very light/incidental firepower, so their only defense is really ‘not being on the board’. Guard stats with half the wounds.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
man, resin or not I really wanna get my hands on building a Leviathan.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

JackMann posted:

It's a much more expensive outlay to make a kit plastic vs. resin or pewter. The molds for injection molding run in the tens of thousands of dollars, and that's not counting the design for them. GW does most of that in-house, but it's still really expensive, and they only have so much capacity. It makes sense for things they know they'll sell a lot of units of worldwide, but less so for small specialty items that not that many people are going to field. For stuff like that, resin makes more sense.

Not that this means they can't turn things from resin to plastic, of course. They've done it a fair number of times. It's just not something they're likely to do with every resin model.

The other reason why resin is easier to work with than plastic is that resin molds are made of rubber, while plastic injection molds are made of stainless steel. (Except for, evidently, a few molds they make for low-production numbers items like the store anniversary limited models, in which case word is the molds are made of aluminum. These are less expensive to make than stainless steel molds but aren't as durable.) Aside from it being way more expensive to tool a stainless steel mold, a metal mold has no flex. The rubber molds they use for resin can accomidate a small amount of... I don't know the technical term but I guess overhang, where if the mold were entirely rigid, then some part of the mold would block the model's release from it.

This means, among other things, that they can't just take an existing resin model kit, take the molds for that kit, and duplicate them in stainless steel, and then start turning out a plastic version of what was a resin model. The model has to be redesigned and re-parted. This is why you'll rarely see a plastic model that exactly duplicates a resin model even if they're both ostensibly of the same thing. The old resin Tartartos Terminators, for example, have much more detailed knees.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Two Beans posted:

Only marginally, imo. You do have to be a little more careful when you're snipping off gates because resin is more brittle than plastic. You might also need greenstuff for filling in gaps/repairing casting imperfections. Occasionally you'll come across models that have antennae that might be bent or ammo belts/cables that need bending. A little hot water or careful use of a hair dryer can fix that up for ya.

FW orders will come with a handy pamphlet with protips on building resin models.

The other thing I heard was that you need to wash them before priming/painting, because there's residue on the plastic or something.

One of the WHTV tutorial vids I watched featured a bit where they had a resin door for a Rhino that had to be cleaned, as well as fixed because it warped slightly. I think the method was to submerge it in hot water and let it sit a bit to make it pliable.

EDIT: It was this one here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKhIQ1TL2FM

I'm really tempted to go out and buy a Rhino this weekend.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Stephenls posted:

The other reason why resin is easier to work with than plastic is that resin molds are made of rubber, while plastic injection molds are made of stainless steel. (Except for, evidently, a few molds they make for low-production numbers items like the store anniversary limited models, in which case word is the molds are made of aluminum. These are less expensive to make than stainless steel molds but aren't as durable.) Aside from it being way more expensive to tool a stainless steel mold, a metal mold has no flex. The rubber molds they use for resin can accomidate a small amount of... I don't know the technical term but I guess overhang, where if the mold were entirely rigid, then some part of the mold would block the model's release from it.

This means, among other things, that they can't just take an existing resin model kit, take the molds for that kit, and duplicate them in stainless steel, and then start turning out a plastic version of what was a resin model. The model has to be redesigned and re-parted. This is why you'll rarely see a plastic model that exactly duplicates a resin model even if they're both ostensibly of the same thing. The old resin Tartartos Terminators, for example, have much more detailed knees.

This is all true. Resin silicone molds have a lot more flexibility and can accommodate imperfect overhangs and a bit of play. Injection molding is an automated process and you either get it right or you waste a mold.

Both aluminum and tool steel molds are used. Tool steel is more erosion resistant and so will last longer. Aluminum is easier to machine but will eventually wear out, leading to less crisp recesses. Both require incredibly tight tolerances for machining and surface finish, careful design for cooling and plastic flow, and represent a significant investment in labor.