Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Xad posted:

I liked the game alright but it really feels like it should have been more of "play the different stories to see different perspectives!" than "play every single story to finally be able to piece together the plot"

I'm biased, but I really think it should have adopted a Nier-like structure, where you go through the beginning a second time with a big perspective flip, and then branch out into other routes.

I wish they had either combined some of the routes together, or shortened them into mini campaigns one after another, or something different than the structure we got.

Because, as you said, you have to play through all four routes to get everything, and that's an insane time commitment to most people. I'm hopefully going to finish my fourth by the game's one year anniversary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

every route besides edelgard's should have ended with edelgard murdering you

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

That is easy enough to manage even with the current state of the game.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

the killing edelgard cutscene from wind/snow, except she pulls out a gun and shoots you in the head

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

"Byleth Eisner, the truth is..."

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I still to this day have never actually played silver snow

I've beaten revelation

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Tae posted:

I still to this day have never actually played silver snow

I've beaten revelation

But don't you want to marry your mother/daughter?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

McTimmy posted:

But don't you want to marry your mother/daughter?
I mean, if you're gonna be King/Queen-Pope of Fodlan, hosed up incestuous marriages is the most in-character thing for that job description

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've just beaten every route but the church one and I hope the next game doesn't have split routes again if this and fates are the best they can do. the eliwood/hector split makes more sense imo since then they're still only telling one story. the end of claude's route is a mess and I'm still bummed out that edelgard gets less maps than the others

fun game on the whole but it really needs more maps. at least enough so they aren't reusing story maps for paralogues. also feels weird to get to a late game map and realize I'd been there multiple times in random battles. plus a lot of the stuff in the monastery feels pointless by the time you get to the second half of your first run. I basically didn't touch a lot of it on subsequent runs. would have been cool if each route had its own base too

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Manatee Cannon posted:

I've just beaten every route but the church one and I hope the next game doesn't have split routes again if this and fates are the best they can do. the eliwood/hector split makes more sense imo since then they're still only telling one story. the end of claude's route is a mess and I'm still bummed out that edelgard gets less maps than the others

fun game on the whole but it really needs more maps. at least enough so they aren't reusing story maps for paralogues. also feels weird to get to a late game map and realize I'd been there multiple times in random battles. plus a lot of the stuff in the monastery feels pointless by the time you get to the second half of your first run. I basically didn't touch a lot of it on subsequent runs. would have been cool if each route had its own base too

The worst (best?) has to be fighting off Ingrid’s lovely suitor in a volcano

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

ROFL Octopus posted:

The worst (best?) has to be fighting off Ingrid’s lovely suitor in a volcano

It's not a volcano. Its radioactive ground zero from the first time the literal ICBMs came out. Everyone calling it a volcano is short selling the stupid.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

i did silver snow and unironically feel the game would be better if it were removed

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

It's not a volcano. Its radioactive ground zero from the first time the literal ICBMs came out. Everyone calling it a volcano is short selling the stupid.

Is that what it is? It's such a baffling chapter in general. Like "hey let's have a good ol' marriage interview in the middle of satan's back yard!"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
What makes Ingrid's paralogue so goofy is how little context it gives you for anything going on. Unless you're on a second playthrough after doing GD/SS, you have no context for the location you're actually at, and the reason you're there is a vague "oh we need to dig up some dirt on this guy" but what that dirt is or why you had to go to loving Mordor to get it is never established. The villain's plot also appears to be to prevent Ingrid from informing her dad that her suitor is evil by... kidnapping her and taking her back to said suitor. Which uh, might just tip daddy dearest off, evil suitor guy! Then you kill everybody and Dorothea just kinda dusts her hands off and goes "good job everybody, justice wins again!"

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I suspect/believe the game started as a "Do you side with Dmitri or Edelgard?" thing like Fates that they later broke up into the game that was eventually released. Someone on the dev team at some point said something to the effect of "The Alliance seems interesting, why don't we make them playable?" and then someone else said "What if you don't choose the Lions but feel icky about Edelgard?" and the Dmitri route got awkwardly chopped up into three which further cut on time for the Eagles route.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Dorothea deserved a better paralogue than being Ingrid’s sidekick.

Black Eagles kinda get a raw deal for paralogues though. If you play Edelgard, you don’t get Ferdinand or Caspar’s.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You don't get a majority of them period.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Let's be honest: Out of the latest 4 Fire Emblem games that tried to show more than two wars/perspectives in the same game, 3H still made it out of it the best so far. Heroes did it second best, and that's mostly because, y'know, it's still ongoing and whatnot. Intsys should stick to two wars/perspectives at a maximum per console game. Or if they do a third war or whatever, make it post-game. I've been trying to play Blue Lions across this week but I feel that, if I continue onward, I'm just gonna get burned-out, which sucks because both Edelgard and Claude's routes were fun as hell to play.

Slain, Hollow Knight, River City Girls and Bloodstained have been hella fun to play in FE:3H's stead, though!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

this game is absolutely better than fates on a narrative level but that is a remarkably low bar. dunno much about heroes because my phone is too old to run it without crashing lmao

I think the main problem with burnout is that too much of the game is the same. also the route choice should have been at the end of part 1, not the beginning

galagazombie posted:

I suspect/believe the game started as a "Do you side with Dmitri or Edelgard?" thing like Fates that they later broke up into the game that was eventually released. Someone on the dev team at some point said something to the effect of "The Alliance seems interesting, why don't we make them playable?" and then someone else said "What if you don't choose the Lions but feel icky about Edelgard?" and the Dmitri route got awkwardly chopped up into three which further cut on time for the Eagles route.

they did the same thing with fates and revelation where a bunch of the real story is gated behind a specific playthrough, only it makes literally zero sense in either game. like it feels like edelgard's route should have ended with killing the mole king in tron city but they wanted another route so it just ends

tho actually that reminds me of another point: edelgard is right and rhea just seems like a psychopath in all 3 routes I've played. I get that she has to be sketchy in part 1 for people to sympathize with eddy at all but they don't do much to make rhea not seem bad

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

FoolyCharged posted:

given the fact that there's lava and poo poo, I'm pretty sure the idea was that the ICBM hit a dormant volcano and caused a chain reaction. That's probably not how it would work in real life, but hey, artistic license.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

It would have been cool if the game gave you the option to side with Rhea against Edelgard. Then there could be a secret route where you really connect with Rhea and see her perspective.

Oh well...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

at least we'll always have rhea's hips

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

at least we'll always have rhea's hips

https://twitter.com/UltimaShadowX/status/1192502315175104512

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

they did the same thing with fates and revelation where a bunch of the real story is gated behind a specific playthrough, only it makes literally zero sense in either game. like it feels like edelgard's route should have ended with killing the mole king in tron city but they wanted another route so it just ends

tho actually that reminds me of another point: edelgard is right and rhea just seems like a psychopath in all 3 routes I've played. I get that she has to be sketchy in part 1 for people to sympathize with eddy at all but they don't do much to make rhea not seem bad

El's ending is absolutely perfect. Tron assholes suck rear end and are boring and don't matter. Crimson Flower ends precisely when it needs to. It would've been great if it was finished and got all the pretty cutscenes and poo poo everyone else does, but it's general narrative arc is good and just needed some polish. Slash fighting Claude is boring.

And no you're experiencing things correctly and don't let doubters and naysayers shake your faith in Lady Edelgard.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Rhea is a maternal figure of religious authority in a JRPG I was automatically disinclined to trust her :j:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Eimi posted:

And no you're experiencing things correctly and don't let doubters and naysayers shake your faith in Lady Edelgard.
Don't make me shove you back into that locker, Hubie. :colbert:

Like Clockwork posted:

Rhea is a maternal figure of religious authority in a JRPG I was automatically disinclined to trust her :j:
Hey, Lady Danu was cool as heck and so is Amaterasu whenever you free her in SMT games.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Wark Say posted:

Don't make me shove you back into that locker, Hubie. :colbert:

https://twitter.com/yurifucker/status/1162189352429998080

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
OK that's way cuter a reply than what I was expecting. Carry on, then. :kimchi:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Like Clockwork posted:

it is kinda disappointing that there aren't really any moms in the game besides the big evil one. dads get seteth, jeralt, gilbert, lambert and rodrigue for good examples, along with all the gross adrestian dads, but rhea is the only real mom I can think of?

byleth's mom i guess but does she even get a name?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

it is kinda disappointing that there aren't really any moms in the game besides the big evil one. dads get seteth, jeralt, gilbert, lambert and rodrigue for good examples, along with all the gross adrestian dads, but rhea is the only real mom I can think of?

No, which is really lovely. You have two people, at least, who have a connection with Byleth's mom, and neither of them even says her name once, even in the conversations about her.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Airspace, is it worth doing Silver Snow?

Do you
- Enjoy Seteth a lot, up to and possibly including the memey Seteth?
if so, then
- Have you done Verdant Wind?
if you have not, then
enjoy Silver Snow

Personally it ended almost perfectly for my tastes, the terrible dragon Pope and the terrible warmonger both die. Best of both worlds.

(Also I learned that Ctrl-I italicizes stuff in a post, if you take anything from my post, there it is)

Naoto Shirogane
May 8, 2019

I don’t think lizards like Rhea really have a perspective aside from eating turtle eggs and sitting stationary in the sun for 18 hours a day.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Eimi posted:

Yes, let's vindicate the warmongering imperialist. It's totally cool and chill she does not recognize the independence of nations that broke off from hers 400 years ago and that's why it's okay for her to (re)conquer them now.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Melomane Mallet posted:

Yes, let's vindicate the warmongering imperialist. It's totally cool and chill she does not recognize the independence of nations that broke off from hers 400 years ago and that's why it's okay for her to (re)conquer them now.

This seems to be the usual argument but I don't really agree with it since absolutely nobody ends up respecting other states' sovereignty in the end. Dimitri also unifies Fodlan, is that fine just because he didn't technically start the war? Claude even just straight up annexes Almyra, and yes racism bad but if imperialism is ok with good intentions, isn't that the same for Edelgard?

That said I also don't see why folks are saying it's so obvious to side against Rhea. Unless I missed something she's not actively mass murdering people at the present moment which makes her enlightened by FE standards. Yeah she's creepy and wants to bring back God to rule the world and all but, medieval church, that's just how it is :geno:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Airspace posted:

Airspace, is it worth doing Silver Snow?

Do you
- Enjoy Seteth a lot, up to and possibly including the memey Seteth?
if so, then
- Have you done Verdant Wind?
if you have not, then
enjoy Silver Snow

Personally it ended almost perfectly for my tastes, the terrible dragon Pope and the terrible warmonger both die. Best of both worlds.

(Also I learned that Ctrl-I italicizes stuff in a post, if you take anything from my post, there it is)

If you really like Seteth, there’s a Seteth-related paralogue exclusive to Verdant Wind

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I wouldn't exactly call Gilbert or Rodrigue examples good of parenting.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Zoran posted:

If you really like Seteth, there’s a Seteth-related paralogue exclusive to Verdant Wind

Huh, interesting. I'll check it out when I pick back up my playthrough of VW.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Redmark posted:

This seems to be the usual argument but I don't really agree with it since absolutely nobody ends up respecting other states' sovereignty in the end. Dimitri also unifies Fodlan, is that fine just because he didn't technically start the war? Claude even just straight up annexes Almyra, and yes racism bad but if imperialism is ok with good intentions, isn't that the same for Edelgard?

That said I also don't see why folks are saying it's so obvious to side against Rhea. Unless I missed something she's not actively mass murdering people at the present moment which makes her enlightened by FE standards. Yeah she's creepy and wants to bring back God to rule the world and all but, medieval church, that's just how it is :geno:

Azure Moon is kind of hilarious in terms of Dimitri ending up ruling all of Fodlan when that was absolutely the last thing on his mind on that route.

Also, Claude doesn't need to annex the nation he's the heir to.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Melomane Mallet posted:

Azure Moon is kind of hilarious in terms of Dimitri ending up ruling all of Fodlan when that was absolutely the last thing on his mind on that route.

Also, Claude doesn't need to annex the nation he's the heir to.

Even if they just accept Claude as ruler like that which I don't think is clear, I can't believe that the elite or the citizenry of either nation would accept a close relationship just because Claude felt like it.

Claude's the most sympathetic of all the protagonists to me, but guy spent the whole game talking to himself about how he needs more power and the biggest weapons. He doesn't strike me as a big idealistic believer in the power of friendship.

edit: actually maybe I'm being presumptuous about future Claude. Maybe he just rules Almyra like a normal Almyran king(?) but more liberal(?) and doesn't try to attach with Fodlan(?)

Redmark fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Melomane Mallet posted:

Who the gently caress cares. this argument isn't interesting, why does everyone want to have it