Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Have there been any major pro-Air Force films since Stealth? I feel like there's been precious few of them for years, despite being ready recruitment tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

silence_kit posted:

Ok, that might be how the job actually is, but is it the case that there are a tonne of people who don't understand that who are lining up to be military pilots?

There might be recruits, but each one of those officers represents a vast investment of time and money to train to the point of being useful in combat. The pipeline to get flight officers is long, and a lot of recruits wash out along the way because it is not an easy skillset to acquire.

The AF wants to replace them all with drones piloted from a desk in the States anyway.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

silence_kit posted:

Ok, that might be how the job actually is, but is it the case that there are a tonne of people who don't understand that who are lining up to be military pilots?

Understanding something at an intellectual level at 22 and experiencing it emotionally for 10 years are different things.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Mister Facetious posted:

you'd think with a budget of several hundred billion dollars that they could offer even higher pay

The "budget" is basically a list of things the air force is obligated to buy from defense contractors who coincidentally helped their congressman write the list. When I say "their" in this sense I don't mean the congressman from their district, I mean the congressman they own. Or woman.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Also, envision in your head a stereotypical Air Force or Navy pilot. That's pretty much exactly who you have to be...perfect vision, proportional height/weight, physical endurance, fitness, high intelligence...you have to hit every single mark just to get in the front door. Then think of the average high schooler or college student in the US. This might also help to understand why they are pushing to drones as much as possible too.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Mister Facetious posted:

Have there been any major pro-Air Force films since Stealth? I feel like there's been precious few of them for years, despite being ready recruitment tools.

It's Navy but there's a new Top Gun coming out.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

GrandpaPants posted:

It's Navy but there's a new Top Gun coming out.

Last I heard, it was likely uh... Not going to be a good recruitment tool...

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Fry’s in Deluth, Georgia suddenly closed without warning. Not on the Fry’s site anymore either.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

Last I heard, it was likely uh... Not going to be a good recruitment tool...

No beach volleyball scene??? :ohdear:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Liquid Communism posted:

There might be recruits, but each one of those officers represents a vast investment of time and money to train to the point of being useful in combat. The pipeline to get flight officers is long, and a lot of recruits wash out along the way because it is not an easy skillset to acquire.

The AF wants to replace them all with drones piloted from a desk in the States anyway.

Training pipelines have been hosed because they needed those people to also do other jobs.

Its a gigantic, hundred billion dollar plus case study in what happens when you ask people to do more with less. Except everyone has an in demand job skill and can easily go elsewhere when the contract is up.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
All these posts about the lovely realities of pilot life have been both fascinating and very depressing. I just assumed flight instructors and the like made good money because it must take some serious balls to get into a cockpit with an untrained pilot (or at all for that matter) and I figured a small pool of instructors plus high demand would drive up wages. Also I am loving terrified of flying so that might have skewed my perceptions a bit.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

FCKGW posted:

The Fry’s in Deluth, Georgia suddenly closed without warning. Not on the Fry’s site anymore either.

Damnit just before I could get my offbrand 1600w psu

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 5, 2019

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

Captain Marvel?

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Drone operators burn out really fast too. Turns out treating war like a video game gives people really bad guilt and PTSD!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Captain Marvel?

Captain Marvel portrays the Air Force as a sexist boy's club, where, topically to this thread, the trained and qualified pilots take their skills elsewhere.

Ra-ra military stuff is definitely more a 2000's thing/favorite go-to for Michael Bay.

The major theme dominating Hollywood lately is that America is at war with itself.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Captain Marvel portrays the Air Force as a sexist boy's club, where, topically to this thread, the trained and qualified pilots take their skills elsewhere.

Ra-ra military stuff is definitely more a 2000's thing/favorite go-to for Michael Bay.

The major theme dominating Hollywood lately is that America is at war with itself.

That seems the inevitable result of when you don't have any real enemies left who you don't also want to sell movie tickets to, and you can only do so many alien invasions.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

silence_kit posted:

And then they don't re-up when their contract is over because you trained them to be over qualified to fly domestically. So you have no experienced piots.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Captain Marvel?

Real world jets, not pretend ones.

Unless you know something we don't... :tinfoil:

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

HootTheOwl posted:

And then they don't re-up when their contract is over because you trained them to be over qualified to fly domestically. So you have no experienced piots.

This is really a big problem for the military all over. There are a number of industries that have basically learned to hire people when their tour is over.

My brother worked on the nuclear plant on a sub, and basically all the good nukes leave the navy after 6 years (their training means they have to do 6 rather than 4) and go work at nuclear power plants. So the only people left tending the nuclear power plants are the ones who are too dumb or total nightmares or just that "patriotic".

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Sounds like the military needs to add some non compete clauses in their contracts.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Sounds like the military needs to add some non compete clauses in their contracts.

Lol yes an 88m is not allowed to drive anyjing larger than a 150 post service for 5 years

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Seems the US military is the equivent of free university or vocational programs in other countries.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Why would the companies that use the military as a training and recruiting tool allow the members of congress they own to screw up their recruiting pipeline?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Lambert posted:

Seems the US military is the equivent of free university or vocational programs in other countries.

It absolutely is. This is anecdotal, but I've asked at least 5 military guys (mostly navy) why most of the people they knew joined the Navy, and for like 75% of people in the military the lie they say is patriotism/serve my country but the truth is they either don't know what to do with themselves or want to go to college without going into debt.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Lambert posted:

I remember reading that finding out they might actually have to go to Iraq came as something of a shock between 2002-2012

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Mister Facetious posted:

I remember reading that finding out they might actually have to go to Iraq came as something of a shock between 2002-2012

I've known a few people in the military and there very much was an attitude from everyone who'd joined after Vietnam thru 9/11 of "I didn't join the military to fight wars!"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

pseudanonymous posted:

It absolutely is. This is anecdotal, but I've asked at least 5 military guys (mostly navy) why most of the people they knew joined the Navy, and for like 75% of people in the military the lie they say is patriotism/serve my country but the truth is they either don't know what to do with themselves or want to go to college without going into debt.

This is my coworker who relocated from Kentucky 100%.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Lambert posted:

That's what it was in the states for all of the 80s and 90s; every military ad until 2001 was about getting college training and touring the planet.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

This is what happens when industries literally don't care about cultivating a talent base at all. Basically the equivalent of 'entry-level' jobs that want two years experience minimum.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

i am harry posted:

That's what it was in the states for all of the 80s and 90s; every military ad until 2001 was about getting college training and touring the planet.
I'm thinking of that Futurama episode where War Was Declared.

A buddy of mine from HS kind of got roped into signing up for the Navy (maybe the best thing to happen to him, in the long run), and we were all like "Yo sucks but hey 4 years of travelling and you'll be out right? Just hop Bush doesn't start any dumb wars right?"

We graduated June of 2001. :woop:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

FCKGW posted:

Goddamnit.

I hate Alpharetta. It's Karen Kountry.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

Real world jets, not pretend ones.

Unless you know something we don't... :tinfoil:

The F15 looks pretty real to me. :)

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2019/03/05/captain-marvel-pays-tribute-to-air-force-history-and-a-fallen-thunderbird/

This seems to pretty much describe the thing you were talking about.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Mister Facetious posted:

you'd think with a budget of several hundred billion dollars that they could offer even higher pay

:laugh: that money is to be funneled to campaign donors companies

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is what happens when industries literally don't care about cultivating a talent base at all. Basically the equivalent of 'entry-level' jobs that want two years experience minimum.

Can’t someone else form a talent pool for me for free? I don’t want to pay taxes either.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

FilthyImp posted:

I'm thinking of that Futurama episode where War Was Declared.

A buddy of mine from HS kind of got roped into signing up for the Navy (maybe the best thing to happen to him, in the long run), and we were all like "Yo sucks but hey 4 years of travelling and you'll be out right? Just hop Bush doesn't start any dumb wars right?"

We graduated June of 2001. :woop:

I had a similar event in '99 a year before I graduated, but I failed their written test by 1 point.

One of the few times my stupidity actually saved my rear end.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

I had a similar event in '99 a year before I graduated, but I failed their written test by 1 point.

One of the few times my stupidity actually saved my rear end.

Good thing you weren't applying for the army.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

skooma512 posted:

Can’t someone else form a talent pool for me for free? I don’t want to pay taxes either.

Hell, most of the time even somebody experienced is going to require training anyway, even if just in how your company handles what they did. And yet you see tons of executives with no experience in what they’re running get hired and if their ignorance isn’t waved off companies outright act like it’s some sort of virtue, they’ll have fresh stupid new ideas!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MadDogMike posted:

Hell, most of the time even somebody experienced is going to require training anyway, even if just in how your company handles what they did. And yet you see tons of executives with no experience in what they’re running get hired and if their ignorance isn’t waved off companies outright act like it’s some sort of virtue, they’ll have fresh stupid new ideas!

it doesn't actually matter for executives, they are the aristocracy whose job is to receive money

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

pseudanonymous posted:

Why would the companies that use the military as a training and recruiting tool allow the members of congress they own to screw up their recruiting pipeline?

"gently caress You, Got Mine"

They've hired to capacity now, and don't want competition. Corporate planning only extends to the end of the quarter, so why would they care if they're loving themselves over in the future, the current CEO and board will have moved on with golden parachutes by then.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
GameStop is closing ~80 stores right now and hundreds more early next year.
If you happen to have any preorders with them done locally, cancel them now or your money is gone.
Use gift cards you get from your aunt for Xmas or whatever immediately, don't buy new ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

sauer kraut posted:

GameStop is closing ~80 stores right now and hundreds more early next year.
If you happen to have any preorders with them done locally, cancel them now or your money is gone.
Use gift cards you get from your aunt for Xmas or whatever immediately, don't buy new ones.

Speaking of this, if you have a pre-order at one and it is closed, they move the pre-order to whatever the next nearest GameStop is so you can still go to another one or call their customer service number if it's far to work out getting your $5/whatever dollars back as long as theres any locations in existence. Don't lose any $$$.