Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will LiS2 feature more dead/deabeat parents than LiS1/BTS?
Yes
No
Paul Zuvella, what you are asking it literally not possible.
View Results

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Karpaw posted:

So Sean & Daniel are supposed to be the "Wolves" of this episode? I think the game could have elucidated that more, it wasn't really clear.

Hahahahaha.

I thought the illustrated wolves story at the beginning got increasingly lazy as the game went on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Just finished it and holy poo poo. I can't stop thinking about this game. It got its hooks in me and now I just wanna play the whole thing over again along with the first one. Dontnod is making games that are tackling some very important issues that other studios refuse to and it's great seeing these kinds of experiences be represented. The fact that people get upset by the depiction of racism clearly have never had to deal with that kind of poo poo on a day-to-day basis.

Never stop Dontnod.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

PunkBoy posted:

Pretty much every episode in the game has had some kind of training and Daniel still hasn't reached being close to the level of being able to move a car. Another month of training wouldn't have done anything. Also painstakingly explaining every reason why something does or doesn't happen would have been obnoxiously tedious when the game already gives enough context on why it wouldn't be a feasible plan

Daniel casually lifts a gigantic tree trunk during episode 3 while mad at Sean and it's way bigger and heavier than a car.

He also shows at the start of this episode that delicately lifting a living thing without hurting it isn't difficult either.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

bewilderment posted:

Daniel casually lifts a gigantic tree trunk during episode 3 while mad at Sean and it's way bigger and heavier than a car.

He also shows at the start of this episode that delicately lifting a living thing without hurting it isn't difficult either.

He doesn't "casually" do it?? He's pissed off when he does it?? Every time he is shown to lift something exceptionally heavy or he causes a huge amount of property damage, it's becasue he's really angry. Otherwise it's a huge strain on him when he tries to lift heavy things. It uses a lot of his energy to bust open the wall. A car with two people in it is still extremely heavy. And I'm sure it'd be even harder for him if he's in the car when he's doing it too

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc

Necrothatcher posted:

Hahahahaha.

I thought the illustrated wolves story at the beginning got increasingly lazy as the game went on.

How do you mean?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Eshettar posted:

How do you mean?

Well it starts as a parable about wolves on the run, but then they just kind of give up on the metaphor and just show wolves hanging out at a motel and coyotes running some kind of church.

It felt like they realized that crowbarring the story into a realistic animal adventure wasn't going to work, so just put wolves and coyotes in place of the human characters.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Necrothatcher posted:

Well it starts as a parable about wolves on the run, but then they just kind of give up on the metaphor and just show wolves hanging out at a motel

Isn't that literally in the first one where it's introduced? I thought it was always pretty awful.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

Well it starts as a parable about wolves on the run, but then they just kind of give up on the metaphor and just show wolves hanging out at a motel and coyotes running some kind of church.

It felt like they realized that crowbarring the story into a realistic animal adventure wasn't going to work, so just put wolves and coyotes in place of the human characters.

I will say that It was kind of a unique way of doing the normal episode recaps at any rate (and unlike the previous two games these ones actually take some of your personal choices into account) and it was sort of neat that the story bled over into the main game occasionally as well.

I agree that they basically abandoned all pretense of keeping the narrative metaphorical by the end though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 6, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Another thing I noticed was that there’s some dialogue in a lot of the previews that is nowhere to be found in the game itself:

Episode 3: Daniel commenting about how the pot farm looks like a nettle field and Cassidy offering to show the boys around

Episode 4: What appears to be a cop threatening Sean (though oddly enough this one actually gets mentioned in a journal entry if you knock out the guard at the hospital, even though the guard does not actually give said speech)

Episode 5: Sean talking to Daniel about making their way across the boarder.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 6, 2019

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The wolf stuff in general is like, the worst part of the games writing. Its cheesy and corny and they lean into way more than they really should.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Man I didn't like Episode 2 or 3 at all, but I'm really enjoying Episode 4

It's both painfully relatable and Jacob is a Good Boy

edit: And now I've murdered a crazy cult leader in cold blood. I don't care if this was clearly the wrong choice, it sure did feel great.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Why can you not kiss Jacob

gently caress this game

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Chapter 4 has my favorite scene in all of LiS2, which is the conversation between Sean and his mom on the porch of the motel. That entire scene is so so good.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

Macaluso posted:

He doesn't "casually" do it?? He's pissed off when he does it?? Every time he is shown to lift something exceptionally heavy or he causes a huge amount of property damage, it's becasue he's really angry. Otherwise it's a huge strain on him when he tries to lift heavy things. It uses a lot of his energy to bust open the wall. A car with two people in it is still extremely heavy. And I'm sure it'd be even harder for him if he's in the car when he's doing it too

Except in that very episode when Daniel creates that giant metal sculpture, he is simultaneously lifting very heavy things and rotating different pieces while others stay stationary in the air - that's pretty serious effort and he doesn't break a sweat doing it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Chapter 4 has my favorite scene in all of LiS2, which is the conversation between Sean and his mom on the porch of the motel. That entire scene is so so good.

Karen in general was a much more better character than I was expecting. While the way she handled her life was questionable there’s just something strangely likable about her (she’s almost like a better written version of Sera from Before The Storm only minus the drug abuse).

On another note, now that everything’s said and done how would you all rate the episodes overall?

My personal list (going from favorite to least favorite):

Wastelands (Episode 3): Proving once again that the middle chapter of an LiS title is usually the best one, this is where LiS2 felt the most like a proper Life is Strange game to me as you spend most of the episode in a small community filled with unique characters you can get to know and even develop relationships with (Cassidy is still one of my favorite side characters and I wish we’d gotten a little more from her). I feel Daniel’s sudden rebelliousness sort of came out of nowhere though as in every other episode how he acts is more or less dependent on how you raised him.

Rules (Episode 2): This is where the game felt a bit more structured to me, giving us both actual NPCs to interact with and a clearer idea of where the story was going. I’ll also give a special nod to The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit which, while basically just a short tech demo that sort of gave a lot of people the wrong idea of what the main game would actually be like, it was still a fun experience none the less. Also try playing it again with full context, there’s a lot of little nods to LiS 2 proper hidden in there.

Wolves (Episode 5): Felt a little on the short side (but maybe that’s just me) but it was nice to spend some time in another community again, albeit a much smaller one than in episode 3 (hell, it even sort of made me like David a little bit). While I would have liked to see more old faces from the previous chapters return (even if it was just during a big montage at the end), I feel like it tied things off as best it could and it’s nice that the ending wasn’t just dependent on some big final choice this time.

Faith (Episode 4): As I mentioned, Karen was a surprisingly decent character and by the end I even wound up liking Jacob a bit more than I did in Episode 3 but otherwise the villain was fairly cookie cutter and things felt way too linear to me (you basically were just thrown from objective to objective without a lot of moments to stop and explore or interact with people).

Roads (Episode 1): While not a bad start and it does give us a decent introduction to our new protagonists, not much actually happens in this one between the introduction and when you reach the gas station near the end. A large chunk of time is just spent wandering through the woods with only Daniel to interact with.

Despite that, I thought LiS 2 was decent for what it was. Sean and Daniel took a bit more time to click with me than Max and Chloe/Chloe and Rachel did and I wish Lyla had gotten a somewhat bigger role but overall I was satisfied with this game and wouldn’t mind seeing more one day. It’s a very different beast from its predecessor and not perfect by any means but I at least give them credit for trying something different.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 10, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

From best to least good:

Wastelands
Wolves
Rules
Roads
Faith

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’m glad LiS 2 was something different than the other ones, but at the same time it hasn’t captivated me all that much. I’ve put off playing episode 5 for now and have gone back to play the series in chronological order, starting with the farewell episode, then BtS proper. Haven’t played either of the previous games since their respective conclusions came out, so I’m enjoying the revisit in proper timeline order this time around.

Might bounce back and cap off LiS 2 at some point. What’s the general consensus, does it stick the landing?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

man nurse posted:

I’m glad LiS 2 was something different than the other ones, but at the same time it hasn’t captivated me all that much. I’ve put off playing episode 5 for now and have gone back to play the series in chronological order, starting with the farewell episode, then BtS proper. Haven’t played either of the previous games since their respective conclusions came out, so I’m enjoying the revisit in proper timeline order this time around.

Might bounce back and cap off LiS 2 at some point. What’s the general consensus, does it stick the landing?

It has its issues but overall I’d say so, yeah. I would actually call it one of the better Life is Strange finales honestly but that’s not saying much.

I’ve done a few chronological runs through the series myself honestly (speaking of which since the latter loads your save at the beginning I’d recommend playing Captain Spirit in between episodes 1 and 2 of LiS2) and while probably not great for a first time player (I imagine Farewell would probably have a lot less impact without full context) playing in story order actually sort of works for this series I feel as it enhances some aspects of the first game.

For example, depending on what your choice was at the end of BtS Chloe’s reaction to learning about Rachel and Frank suddenly seems to take on a bit of extra meaning (that is, she’s either genuinely upset that the girl she’s been nothing but upfront with all this time would suddenly stab her in the back like this or she’s projecting a bit of her own guilt at not telling Rachel the truth about her family).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 10, 2019

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

man nurse posted:

The ending is, uh... perplexing. The game completely stops making sense and they rush to make a conclusion to anything and it all really makes no sense.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

man nurse posted:

Not at all. The whole game is basically a failed experiment.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

el oso posted:

Except in that very episode when Daniel creates that giant metal sculpture, he is simultaneously lifting very heavy things and rotating different pieces while others stay stationary in the air - that's pretty serious effort and he doesn't break a sweat doing it.

Yeah I just don't think the art pieces they used are comparable to a car that both his brother and himself are in. That he has to float while inside of it. The latter is probably much much harder for Daniel IMO.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

man nurse posted:

It's pretty clear from the earlier responses that there is no general consensus, but I thought the ending was very strong. That said, I loved the whole game and I've cared intensely about the story since early episode one, so you might respond differently if you don't have that base of emotional investment.

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Paul Zuvella posted:

I just checked steamspy numbers for episode 1 of both seasons and LiS1 is listed at 5-10 million and LiS2 is listed at 200-500k. :yikes:

But the first episode of LIS1 has been free for a long time... and that's an enormously successful game for its type. While the second season may seem like a failure in comparison, the numbers are probably more in line with what you'd realistically expect from an episodic series released in 3-4 month intervals where the gameplay consists of slow-paced poking around.

And that's why if Deck 9's upcoming game isn't Life is Strange: Max & Chloe Ride Again, I'll be surprised by Square Enix's very uncharacteristic decision to leave money on the table.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Karpaw posted:

But the first episode of LIS1 has been free for a long time... and that's an enormously successful game for its type. While the second season may seem like a failure in comparison, the numbers are probably more in line with what you'd realistically expect from an episodic series released in 3-4 month intervals where the gameplay consists of slow-paced poking around.

And that's why if Deck 9's upcoming game isn't Life is Strange: Max & Chloe Ride Again, I'll be surprised by Square Enix's very uncharacteristic decision to leave money on the table.

Technically we already have the monthly comic for that but sure. But more likely if it actually is LiS related I’m guessing it’ll probably be a Before the Storm sequel starring Rachel. I’d also be fine with a companion piece to BtS about Max living in Seattle.

Or do a side story about LiS2 this time and give us a Lyla or Cassidy focused game.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 12, 2019

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012
I wanted to like LiS2 and I mean...I got the Lone Supervillain ending so that was fun? But I think TWD has exhausted me on road trip narrative choice games so it was never gonna be a winner. The Oxenfree easter egg was cute and I liked it though!!

Speaking of Oxenfree those devs have another game out called Afterparty, which has Ashly Burch as a demon cabbie so do with that what you will.

Macaluso posted:

Yeah I just don't think the art pieces they used are comparable to a car that both his brother and himself are in. That he has to float while inside of it. The latter is probably much much harder for Daniel IMO.

oh i know this one. send the car over, then the wolves, then take the car back, bring the seed, then go back for the chicken.

God I always tune out the wolves story in the beginning because it's corny but "coyote cult" really.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
I never saw a problem with the wolves story. It always struck me as the kinda thing a teenage boy would come up with off the top of his head while trying to keep his younger brother entertained.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eshettar posted:

I never saw a problem with the wolves story. It always struck me as the kinda thing a teenage boy would come up with off the top of his head while trying to keep his younger brother entertained.

Neither did I honestly. It's kind of a unique way of doing the "Last time on..." segments at any rate (and I believe the first recaps in the entire franchise that actually bother to take your choices into account).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 24, 2019

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

e: nvm I was pressing the wrong button

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So through experimentation I’ve found an easy way to pick which set of endings you ultimately wind up with. Letting Daniel use his power as much as he wants is guaranteed to put you on the Low Morality path while completely restricting him except when the game forces you to use it will get you the High Morality path.

That said, I’m still sort of curious how you go about getting the following scenarios:

Episode 2: Daniel is not asked to help with chores

Episode 3: Daniel attacks Cassidy

Episode 4: Sean kills Lisbeth while Daniel is hurting her.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 31, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Deck 9 put out some casting calls for an unannounced project. Does not appear to be LiS-related.

quote:

Production Description
Casting a story-driven video game project. Project description: "A Denver, Colorado-area video game company with 20 years experience in the game industry focuses on narrative adventure video games. Their most recent project won multiple awards and was nominated for a BAFTA."

quote:

Mai Nguyen (Supporting): Female, 35-45

Mai Nguyen saw more tragedy in her first five years of life than most do in their lifetimes. Born at the end of the Vietnam War, Mai experienced the horrors of the conflict both directly and indirectly, before her family fled to Thailand in 1974. The Nguyen family eventually found its way to the United States in the early 1980s and Mai's life returned to some semblance of normalcy, though the atrocities committed around her in childhood lingered for long after. But Mai was a resilient and ambitious girl, and found great peace in music. She sang every day (in the shower, while working, before bed) and for a time hoped that she could make a career out of her passion. But that was not her reality, and she struggled to survive on a cleaner's salary. She met her husband Lee at his Chinese restaurant and the two became a couple. They had two children: Marcus and Allie. Mai is Vietnamese by birth, but due to her early childhood relocation - and her marriage to a Chinese partner - Mai could have any number of Asian accents, including Vietnamese, Chinese, and Thai. She might also have an American accent given how long she has lived in the United States. Must have strong physical instincts including the range and control of a theater performance, with the subtlety and nuance of film performance. Ability to find emotional truth in every line of dialog, motivation in every movement, and deliver natural, believable voice over.

quote:

Transgender Female (Lead): Female, 18+

transgender female (must be female identifying). You do not need to be an actor or performer to submit, however you must be local to the Denver/Boulder area. Any age considered, as long as you have a teenage to early 20s-sounding voice.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I beat the game. the journey was occasionally boring but the ending was good. the mechanic where you have to teach daniel the right lessons was a million times better than the LIS1/ME3 choose a good or bad ending system. still preferred the first series more just because it had a more interesting premise with the smaller setting and a more singular mystery/villain. but I knew that would be the case going into this one. final episode cameo was ok. when it looked like inventory and money management would be more important in like chapter 2 that was also more interesting. anyway i got the best ending

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, while I still sort of prefer the Arcadia Bay duology I liked LiS2 overall and appreciate them at least trying to do something different (though whether they succeeded is a matter of opinion). I also felt like your choices wound up mattering a lot more in this game and liked the fact that the final ending wasn't just based on a single decision you make at the end like was the case in the previous two games.

David was not the character I expected (or particularly wanted) to see come back from Season 1 but I think it worked pretty well regardless. Out of curiosity, why was he voiced by his BtS actor as opposed to the guy that played him in the first game?

Personally I actually think Cross the Border is the better ending of the two all things considered. With a High Morality Daniel, Sean is able to start fresh in Mexico (possibly with Cassidy or Finn if you romanced them back in Episode 3) while Daniel gets to have a normal life back in Beaver Creek with his grandparents and Chris. The Low Morality path is the only ending where both brothers make it to Mexico together and, despite becoming criminals, they seem to have built a decent life for themselves and even run their own business (plus Daniel going full supervillain on the cops was kind of a cool scene).

That said, if there ever is another Life is Strange game I kind of want it to be structured a bit more like Season 1/BtS where you're mainly in a small town with a consistent cast of characters. I'm still fine with them switching over to a brand new cast and setting though (plus I'm not really sure how you could continue from LiS2 since like Before the Storm it's really a more personal story than anything else).

I wouldn't mind a BtS style side story set in the LiS2 universe though (the player character could be Lyla, Cassidy, or possibly even a sequel involving teenage Daniel and/or Chris).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jan 12, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Slight news:

Captain Spirit recently received an update that makes the phone puzzle a lot easier by actually adding letters
underneath the numbers on the keypad, they also added a Japanese voice option for some reason.

The Life is Strange comic is also getting reformatted as Life is Strange: Partners In Time and the first issue will release on April 15th, it seems to be about Max, Chloe, and Rachel going on a road trip in an attempt to help get the former back into her own world.

Somewhat related, does Tell Me Why (the upcoming DontNod game that’s sort of LiS-esque) have an actual release date yet and is it still just exclusive to Xbox One/PC?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Some slight updates for those who care:

-The LiS comic returns on October 14th under the new title: Life is Strange: Partners in Time

-The first episode of Tell Me Why (the new narrative DontNod game that basically looks like a Life is Strange title in all but name will be out on the 27th with the remaining two episodes to follow in early September. Unfortunately for PS4 owners the game still appears to be Microsoft exclusive at the moment

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'll be playing it on Gamepass!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Since I lack the necessary equipment to play it at the moment I’ll probably wind up checking the game out vicariously through a Let’s Play or something and hope it eventually gets a port.

On another note, I forget but did we ever find out what Deck Nine’s new project was?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Not announced yet, some rumors popped up a few months ago that it would be the mainline Life is Strange 3 with a new cast of characters but nothing officially confirmed.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Not announced yet, some rumors popped up a few months ago that it would be the mainline Life is Strange 3 with a new cast of characters but nothing officially confirmed.

Gotcha. Though in this case I’m not entirely sure how they could make reference to LiS 2 as like BtS it was more of a personal story. Granted, some of the stuff Sean and Daniel did is probably enough to make the local news but nothing quite on the level of an entire town being flattened should you choose the Bae ending in the first game.

Granted, I’d be down for another game (even if it wound up being another prequel/spinoff) and DontNod has expressed interest in continuing the series but seem to want to focus on other projects right now (which is totally understandable) but there’s still the ongoing comic and Tell Me Why seems like a decent placeholder for now.

I personally enjoyed LiS 2 for what it was but should there be another game though I’d kind of like to see them go back to having it set in one location with a consistent cast of side characters that grow as the game goes on.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc

Larryb posted:

Since I lack the necessary equipment to play it at the moment I’ll probably wind up checking the game out vicariously through a Let’s Play or something and hope it eventually gets a port.

On another note, I forget but did we ever find out what Deck Nine’s new project was?

There's always Steam just so long as your computer has what it takes to run the game. The last time I looked, the website was taking pre-orders for Tell Me Why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Finished this the other day, surprised there's so little post-E5 chat after the endless bae vs bay chat in the LiS thread.

I liked it but I never got the 'holy poo poo I have to know what happens next' feeling I did from LiS1. The first game had all kinds of things like the high school setting, lots of recurring minor characters and time fuckery that will always work on me, along with the novelty factor, I think with LiS2 I could see the strings a bit better and tell where you'd been railroaded straight away whereas I was more naive with the original. Obviously BtS had the hook of the original's characters. I hope there's another Life is Strange but not a road trip one.

A few thoughts on the ending:
- I did like that Daniel becomes a separate entity at that point, able to go along with you or not depending on whether your moralities align, rather than a yes/no choice.
- I had a high morality Daniel and initially chose to drive through the police but restarted from the checkpoint as I expected Daniel to clear a path and deflect bullets, not loving massacre everyone. I didn't want to use him as a weapon unless he was fully on board, as with stopping Finn from being summarily executed. So I got Sean in jail, which is probably what would have happened if he'd turned himself in, except he'd have fewer years in jail (if any, but the themes of the game suggest that he'd take the fall as a non-white teen found with a dead cop) and not be missing an eye. Oh well, at least Daniel has a life, though I wish there'd been some more pay off for Daniel's powers, other than opening a car door.
- Daniel totally could have lifted the car over the wall, he lifted a massive waterlogged tree trunk out of the water several months prior just to prove a point and loving yeets some large rocks out of the way in Arizona with a flick of the wrist. The tree has got to weigh an order of magnitude more than a truck and is probably safer than deflecting dozens of bullets, as seen in the Lone Wolf ending.
- There's definitely suspension of disbelief with Daniel not ending up either as a superhero or in a government lab somewhere in the Parting Ways ending because there are lots of police and likely video evidence of him telekinetically wrecking a lot of poo poo but apparently they just packed him off with the grandparents to live a nice little life.

This is more nitpicking than anything but it's just what came to mind.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 25, 2020