Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I'd be okay with anomalies in owned space being off limits but I don't get why I can't investigate an anomaly in space no one owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
You can, unless you mean archaeology. I dunno, archaeology is a fair bit more involved than just some scientists checking out some weird signal, surely it needs some sort of infrastructure.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Hey wait, did they change the way refunding influence for systems you can't claim works? I sent a construction ship to build a new starbase, but before I got there someone else claimed the system. I didn't get my influence back, though. Kinda sucks given how slowly it accrues. Was this part of a recent patch or something?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Hey wait, did they change the way refunding influence for systems you can't claim works? I sent a construction ship to build a new starbase, but before I got there someone else claimed the system. I didn't get my influence back, though. Kinda sucks given how slowly it accrues. Was this part of a recent patch or something?
I think its been bugged for a while and never fixed. I noticed I didnt get refunded something a while back so I just cheated myself the resources.

edit: If you're not on ironman you can press ~ then type "influence 100" without the quotes to get 100 influence.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Black Pants posted:

You can, unless you mean archaeology. I dunno, archaeology is a fair bit more involved than just some scientists checking out some weird signal, surely it needs some sort of infrastructure.

Yeah I mean you can jump between star systems obliterate planets fight space dragons build synthetic intelligences. But there’s no way you could dig up old trash on another planet that’s illogical.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I think its been bugged for a while and never fixed.

ah yes, the stellaris story

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
It's amazing when dig sites spawn in the border region of a xenophobe fallen empire too so you judt dont get tl dig that stufff up for most of the game.

Or inside.

I've seen relic worlds or even just precursor dig sites spawn inside marauders or even fallen empires too. Hooray for just not getting those while they're at all relevant!

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/1202907008875278337?s=19

This was in the Dev Diary, and it's worth noting that the speed booster is just hilariously better than all the others.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Yami Fenrir posted:

It's amazing when dig sites spawn in the border region of a xenophobe fallen empire too so you judt dont get tl dig that stufff up for most of the game.

Or inside.

I've seen relic worlds or even just precursor dig sites spawn inside marauders or even fallen empires too. Hooray for just not getting those while they're at all relevant!

I got a precursor archeology chain that spawned its second dig site inside the Enigmatic Fortress system. By the time I could take out the Fortress and get to that dig site there were no longer any nearby unclaimed systems left so the chain just broke when trying to spawn the third dig site :(

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Aethernet posted:

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/1202907008875278337?s=19

This was in the Dev Diary, and it's worth noting that the speed booster is just hilariously better than all the others.

Munitions Plant seems kind of pointless in many scenarios, at least outside of multiplayer. With the exception of Fallen Empire worlds, I have barely seen a single world in the current version of Stellaris where it was better to leave a fleet bombarding before an invasion than to simply let the fleet keep conquering nearby space while I brought a slightly larger invasion force for the planet.

As for Strike Command, are strike craft ok these days? The last few versions they have seemed rather 'meh' compared to other weapons.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Strike craft are basically fine, inasmuch as you're not gimping yourself too badly if you use them rather than conventional weapons, but you have to lean hard into using them along with missiles, torpedoes and swarmers to ensure you saturate point defence.

Given that the Juggernaut has mostly fighter slots, they may be being buffed further in the new patch, in which case I suspect they will instantly become horrendously OP.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I find auras unexciting and overused. Part of this is the lack of moving parts to plug them into. If ammunition and resupply was actually a thing then something called munitions plant would excite me, but as is it's all just numbers and I want "things".

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Bofast posted:

Munitions Plant seems kind of pointless in many scenarios, at least outside of multiplayer. With the exception of Fallen Empire worlds, I have barely seen a single world in the current version of Stellaris where it was better to leave a fleet bombarding before an invasion than to simply let the fleet keep conquering nearby space while I brought a slightly larger invasion force for the planet.

As for Strike Command, are strike craft ok these days? The last few versions they have seemed rather 'meh' compared to other weapons.

does taking Tomb World adaptation and then using Orbital Bombardment as Aggressive Terraforming still work? If so that's definitely a way to speed it up.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

cock hero flux posted:

does taking Tomb World adaptation and then using Orbital Bombardment as Aggressive Terraforming still work? If so that's definitely a way to speed it up.

Concussive terraforming still works, yes. It does require purifiers or equivalent however.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Idea: ditch Jump Drive as a regular late game drive type, make it a station install that turns stations into slingshots. You can also install jump drives on Titans and Juggernauts as an Aura slot, who will take a number of smaller ships along for the ride. Ditch numbergoup auras and replace them with things competitive with teleportation.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
lol @ munitions plant.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

"Hey guys, we have these bigger-than-battleship ships that can fit a special module on them that will grant special beneficial "Auras" to their own fleet or a debuff to an enemy fleet. We call these units "Titans". With this next DLC lets add a bigger-than-Titan ship that.... can fit a special module on them that will grant special beneficial "Auras" to their own fleet or a debuff to an enemy fleet. We call these units "Juggernauts"! It will be so cool and add so much to the game!"

:suicide:

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

yeah. Titan auras were already disappointing with their...numbers, yay numbers.

At least Colossus do something different.

Juggernauts should do off the wall poo poo like mobile gates, the ability to freeze an enemy fleet in time for a year, be effectively mobile planets that you have to first disable then land troops to actually knock it out, have a giant shockwave cannon that scatters enemy ships across the system, have an enormous minefield fabricator that effectively makes a system completely unassailable while the juggernaut is there if you let it dig in for a year (nasty if you manage to dig in in enemy territory)....

i mean the thing is almost post-endgame.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 6, 2019

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

yeah. Titan auras were already disappointing with their...numbers, yay numbers.

At least Colossus do something different.

Juggernauts should do off the wall poo poo like mobile gates, the ability to freeze an enemy fleet in time for a year, be effectively mobile planets that you have to first disable then land troops to actually knock it out, have a giant shockwave cannon that scatters enemy ships across the system, have an enormous minefield fabricator that effectively makes a system completely unassailable while the juggernaut is there if you let it dig in for a year (nasty if you manage to dig in in enemy territory)....

i mean the thing is almost post-endgame.

Having a portable FTL inhibitor on the Juggernaut would at least have been interesting.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bofast posted:

Having a portable FTL inhibitor on the Juggernaut would at least have been interesting.

....yes. YES.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Mobile shipyard is pretty handy...

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

OddObserver posted:

Mobile shipyard is pretty handy...

I think we know exactly why they didn't do this.

*Queues up new fleet unrelated the mobile shipyard's fleet*

*Main shipyards at the core systems churn out half the fleet in a few minutes, the other half is an 40 ship long queue of battleships being produced exclusively at the one mobile shipyard*

e: Oh wait they are doing this lol. Ok well then that's my prediction.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Chomp8645 posted:

I think we know exactly why they didn't do this.

*Queues up new fleet unrelated the mobile shipyard's fleet*

*Main shipyards at the core systems churn out half the fleet in a few minutes, the other half is an 40 ship long queue of battleships being produced exclusively at the one mobile shipyard*

e: Oh wait they are doing this lol. Ok well then that's my prediction.
This is why I only ever have one shipyard station until I have gates because good god is that infuriating.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I seem to recall shipyard logic was optimized a long time ago so that that wasn't an issue.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
It's still an issue. I had 4 maxed shipyards and whether I manually set a home base for a fleet or not, or whereever the fleet happened to be, the choice of shipyard to build was the one furthest from, getting 75% of the queue.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I just remembered how blowing up the AE titans felt so good before I could build them myself :(

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I seem to recall shipyard logic was optimized a long time ago so that that wasn't an issue.
Yeah, they said it was, but it is *definitely* still an issue. By best example is: Due to the aforementioned issue, I was only running one starbase that had 6 Shipyards in it. I had a fleet of 40 corvettes that I wanted to double in size to 80 corvettes. This fleet is at my only 6x Shipyard starbase, which is the fleets designated home station. The only other shipyard in my empire is 20+ jumps away, it was supposed be temporary to allow me to build some colony ships near some distant planets that I was terraforming, but I forgot to delete it. When I click the button to build the corvettes to double the size of that fleet, 50% of the corvettes get queued at the starbase I expect, and 50% get queued at the single-shipyard starbase 20+ jumps away from the fleet / the fleet's home station.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah, they said it was, but it is *definitely* still an issue. By best example is: Due to the aforementioned issue, I was only running one starbase that had 6 Shipyards in it. I had a fleet of 40 corvettes that I wanted to double in size to 80 corvettes. This fleet is at my only 6x Shipyard starbase, which is the fleets designated home station. The only other shipyard in my empire is 20+ jumps away, it was supposed be temporary to allow me to build some colony ships near some distant planets that I was terraforming, but I forgot to delete it. When I click the button to build the corvettes to double the size of that fleet, 50% of the corvettes get queued at the starbase I expect, and 50% get queued at the single-shipyard starbase 20+ jumps away from the fleet / the fleet's home station.

Yeah, this is also why I'd only build a single shipyard until jump gates. The game wouldn't even distribute orders by number of slips, but just by stations. So a station with 6 yards gets just as much of the ship building burden as the shipyard with 1.

Yet on the other hand I'd sometimes have situations where I'd have 2 shipyard with maybe 3 slots each and only 2 jumps away from each other. I'd order 40 new corvettes and 2 cruisers and the 40 corvettes would all go to one shipyard while the 2 cruisers would get split. So when you want the order actually spread to finish quick it doesn't, and when you want it all done in one spot because the other yards are on the other side of the galaxy they do. Bad.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
IMHO, they should do away with those silly limits on Titans. If we are crazy enough to build 42 Titans, let us! I'm sure our economies can take it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Libluini posted:

IMHO, they should do away with those silly limits on Titans. If we are crazy enough to build 42 Titans, let us! I'm sure our economies can take it.
Agreed.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
This thing is totally the Homeworld mothership turned sideways.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Shumagorath posted:

I was thinking the Vasari Loyalist faction's titan, Vorastra, from SoaSE

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

If the shipyard logic is doing that then they broke it at some point. I am almost certain it was optimized before so that it took into account queues and travel time when picking a yard.

Titans should be capped because they arnt supposed to be battleship 2.0. If they are battleship 2.0 then youve killed battleships which is bad.

Hardcaps arnt ideal but at least they are backstop. Uncapped titans is basically just give up on ship roles and go download NSC.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Shumagorath posted:

Entorwellian posted:

I was thinking the Vasari Loyalist faction's titan, Vorastra, from SoaSE

It's also the giant even more Super Star Destroyer from TLJ

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

Immediately thought about the 343 Industries art "cameos" in the Stellaris mobile game with this post.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I mean it's not really that new for Stellaris. The avian ships are extremely the Liir ships fom SotS 2.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
So I just picked this up and watched a tutorial video on getting started. I think I have a grasp on claiming space and trying to build your economy, but I had some asshat aliens show up and blow up one of my science ships and their fleet is 1k, where mine is barely 600 having 20/20 ships in it. Do I just have to wait until I research some weapons to upgrade my fleet to do something about them?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Losing science ships happens. You can either get better tech or build Starbases with Anchorages to increase your ship cap. The cap on fleet size and the cap on how many ships you can run without massively increased maintenance are different too - sometimes you gotta stack 2 fleets in the same fight to get equal or higher power, and that's perfectly normal.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

smertrioslol posted:

So I just picked this up and watched a tutorial video on getting started. I think I have a grasp on claiming space and trying to build your economy, but I had some asshat aliens show up and blow up one of my science ships and their fleet is 1k, where mine is barely 600 having 20/20 ships in it. Do I just have to wait until I research some weapons to upgrade my fleet to do something about them?

The earliest techs to increase your ship caps (either empire or fleet) make a huge difference. I believe they're in society research, so try not to bog yourself down decrypting alien languages or studying aliens.

You can just stack two fleets and they'll fight just fine, or if you're at your empire cap you can exceed your empire cap if you've got the resources to pay for the upkeep. Another solution is to fortify your border with the enemy with a starbase - one of those upgraded with a couple of guns can make the difference between winning or losing a fleet battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

smertrioslol posted:

Assuming we're talking the random spsce creatures (there's a bunch of different ones) and not an AI empire that declared war on you, pretty much yeah. There will be techs (and a bonus in the Supremacy tree) that will increase the 20 ship Command Limit dramatically through the game, and the ship parts you research will steadily increase the power of your ships as you go. And don't be afraid to just send multiple fleets on the same mission either.

In the meantime you can just ignore them. Put your science ships on Evasive and they'll do their best not to blunder into enemies, but it'll still happen until you get better sensors.

If the aliens are blocking you, you can try putting your ship on non-evasive stance and manually pathing them around the hostiles too; most aliens won't go out of their way to attack your ships.