Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Lamuella posted:

And now I'm remembering a mid 90s WCW promo where Jim Duggan called Hogan "a great technical wrestler", shattering kayfabe into a trillion pieces.
I’m not one to doubt a man as intelligent as Jim Duggan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TheKingslayer posted:

*Sports Entertainer

Not to be confused with a performance fighter like Roman Reigns

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Von Linus posted:

Unless he doesn't want the pressure or something.

It's 100% this. He's doing a bang-up job scouting talent for the women's division and having fun little hardcore one-offs. Let the artist work, if he wants to hold the belt for awhile in a year or two I'm sure they'll be happy to let him.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

jesus WEP posted:

I’m not one to doubt a man as intelligent as Jim Duggan

Hehehehe, HAHAHAHA!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

It's 100% this. He's doing a bang-up job scouting talent for the women's division and having fun little hardcore one-offs. Let the artist work, if he wants to hold the belt for awhile in a year or two I'm sure they'll be happy to let him.

Yeah, I think he said that being IWGP champ was super stressful

I think him being a transition champ is a good idea though

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Yeah, I think he said that being IWGP champ was super stressful

I think him being a transition champ is a good idea though

On the other hand, he's currently AAA Megachampion, is that not stressful as well?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Von Linus posted:

Kane and Inferno matches?
Kane is 1-3 in Inferno Matches

Win: MVP
Losses: Undertaker, Undertaker, HHH

He is undefeated in Buried Alive Matches

Dell_Zincht posted:

Undertaker and Buried Alive matches, too
Undertaker is 2-3 in Buried Alive matches:

Wins: vs. Mankind, Rock & Sock Connection (w. Kane)
Losses: Steve Austin, Kane, Vince McMahon (who won with interference from Kane)

Which is to say both men are better with their weakest matches than Seth is with Twitter.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Lamuella posted:

On the other hand, he's currently AAA Megachampion, is that not stressful as well?

it only gets defended once every two or three months, so, no, not really?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Edge & Christian posted:

Undertaker is 2-3 in Buried Alive matches:

Wins: vs. Mankind, Rock & Sock Connection (w. Kane)
Losses: Steve Austin, Kane, Vince McMahon (who won with interference from Kane)

I don't remember this at all. The Rock actually got buried alive at the end?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I don't remember this at all. The Rock actually got buried alive at the end?
It was in the earliest days of Smackdown and is actually posted in full by WWE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUBu9Dl-x1A

It was an incredibly Attitude Era finish, and for the tag team championships. For anyone who doesn't want to watch the whole match, eventually Undertaker and Rock brawl backstage and Mankind beats up Big Show with a shovel and is winning the match.

But backstage, Triple H attacks the Rock and lays him out, allowing Undertaker and Big Show to double team Mankind out by the dirt hole.

But then Kane attacks Triple H to save the Rock, but then Chyna attacks Kane. Kane chases Chyna off.

Undertaker and Big Show have Mankind beat and Big Show starts filling the hole while Undertaker holds off the Rock. But before Big Show can finish burying Mankind, Triple H runs out, clocks Big Show with his sledgehammer and... finishes burying Mankind.

Undertaker and Big Show are now the tag team champions, but Undertaker and the Rock have brawled out into the ether where Kane and Chyna are, so all that's left is Triple H standing tall and posing over a buried Mankind and an unconscious Big Show.

An ambulance arrives to recover Mankind's body from the grave, but before it can save him Steve Austin runs in and starts beating up Triple H, throwing him into the grave on top of Mankind and eventually tossing HHH into the ambulance, driving it out into the parking lot, and then driving a semi-truck repeatedly into the side of the ambulance containing Triple H in an attempt to murder him, I guess?

So no, the Rock didn't ever set foot in the grave.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I think I remember that match now, even though it's confusing as hell reading a summary of it. And yeah, I knew they'd ever let the Rock actually get buried. Thank you.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I think I remember that match now, even though it's confusing as hell reading a summary of it. And yeah, I knew they'd ever let the Rock actually get buried. Thank you.
I only remembered in hindsight the whole "Austin throws HHH into an ambulance and tries to destroy the ambulance with a semi truck" gimmick, because it's clearly meant to be a babyface move just a couple of months before the heroic Steve Austin is cruelly and maliciously hit with a car by a mystery driver in an act of evil cowardice at Survivor Series 1999.

And then Austin's return feud against Rikishi and eventually Triple H, where the scoundrels who would attack a man unprovoked with a car are justifiably killed by Austin, including him dropping Triple H off of a forklift while trapped inside a car.

And then a year after that, Hollywood Hogan and the NWO do almost exactly the same thing Austin did, but to the Rock, in a last-ditch effort to get fans to boo Hogan in 2002.

Vehicular manslaughter is a land of contrasts.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Edge & Christian posted:

Vehicular manslaughter is a land of contrasts.

That's why I always laugh when people point out Hogan throwing Giant off a roof as being so over-the-top with "Hogan tried to murder him!" when there was a period of time in WWF where everyone was trying to kill everyone else with motor vehicles.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

It was in the earliest days of Smackdown and is actually posted in full by WWE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUBu9Dl-x1A

The epitome of glorious clusterfuck right there.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lamuella posted:

AAA doesn't really value the world heavyweight title the way other companies do. It gets defended maybe 5-6 times a year, and it's not a focus from a marketing perspective

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Fenix won it in August 2018 by winning a four way match (Jeff Jarrett was champion coming in; match also had Brian Cage and Rich Swann in it) and they made a big thing about how he was going to be a fighting champion and that AAA were going to build it up as a big title.

His first defence was in September 2018, not in AAA but for GALLI, a Lucha company based in Chicago where Fenix beat Aeroboy in a title for title match to also win the GALLI title.

His second defence, and first in AAA, was in August 2019 when he beat Laredo Kid, Taurus and Puma King in a four way match.

He then lost it to Kenny Omega in October 2019; with Kenny already defending it as many times in two months than Fenix did in a whole year.

Titles really don't matter that much in Lucha - this title history isn't exactly unheard of; just look at some of the approximately 10,000 titles that CMLL has. You'll see them main eventing smaller shows with them but the big thing is always Mask or Hair matches and that's what the build is to; not to big World Title matches.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Even with all that in mind, was there an angle built around him having to defend his title in a 4-way?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

IceAgeComing posted:

Fenix won it in August 2018 by winning a four way match (Jeff Jarrett was champion coming in; match also had Brian Cage and Rich Swann in it) and they made a big thing about how he was going to be a fighting champion and that AAA were going to build it up as a big title.

His first defence was in September 2018, not in AAA but for GALLI, a Lucha company based in Chicago where Fenix beat Aeroboy in a title for title match to also win the GALLI title.

His second defence, and first in AAA, was in August 2019 when he beat Laredo Kid, Taurus and Puma King in a four way match.

He then lost it to Kenny Omega in October 2019; with Kenny already defending it as many times in two months than Fenix did in a whole year.

Titles really don't matter that much in Lucha - this title history isn't exactly unheard of; just look at some of the approximately 10,000 titles that CMLL has. You'll see them main eventing smaller shows with them but the big thing is always Mask or Hair matches and that's what the build is to; not to big World Title matches.

The AAA Mega Linear Title History is a thing of beauty. https://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2015/11/09/aaa-linear-mega-heavyweight-championship-or-toru-yano-messes-everything-up/

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

worth observing that GALLI runs out of basically an empty warehouse in the back of a strip mall

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
What're the best video packages produced in wrestling, with major bonus points for spot-on music selection?

There are two feud videos that come to mind for me:

- Stone Cold vs. The Rock - Wrestlemania XVII - Limp Bizkit, "My Way"
- Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker - Wrestlemania XXVI - Placebo, "Running Up That Hill"

And then there are another two that are less about the particular match and more about telling the wrestler's story that come to mind, too:

- The Miz - Wrestlemania XXVII - Nas, "Hate Me Now"
- Daniel Bryan - Wrestlemania XXX - Imagine Dragons, "Monster"

Any more great ones come to mind in either of those genres?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

surf rock posted:

What're the best video packages produced in wrestling, with major bonus points for spot-on music selection?

There are two feud videos that come to mind for me:

- Stone Cold vs. The Rock - Wrestlemania XVII - Limp Bizkit, "My Way"
- Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker - Wrestlemania XXVI - Placebo, "Running Up That Hill"

And then there are another two that are less about the particular match and more about telling the wrestler's story that come to mind, too:

- The Miz - Wrestlemania XXVII - Nas, "Hate Me Now"
- Daniel Bryan - Wrestlemania XXX - Imagine Dragons, "Monster"

Any more great ones come to mind in either of those genres?

Lmao you can watch as their long term booking gets slowly worse and worse

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I immediately thought of CM Punk in the MitB build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idJi_cV4Wmw

I can't find the original version though, which has one subtle but neat difference:

CM Punk: In anybody else's hands this is a microphone

* low in the background you can hear IF YA SMELLLL while screen flashes something like JUST LIKE DWAYNE

This version has the still effective but not as cool YOU WILL LISTEN and no sound clip

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Daniel Bryan video package was ruined by the loving terrible song they pick for it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Randaconda posted:

The Daniel Bryan video package was ruined by the loving terrible song they pick for it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you heard me :colbert:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I'm not going to buy that "thinking Imagine Dragons is bad" is an outlier position.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

one of the most famous wrestling promo packages and definitely the most famous wrestlemania promo package of all time featured a Limp Bizkit song

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the most famous man alive freaking sucks rear end

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alaois posted:

one of the most famous wrestling promo packages and definitely the most famous wrestlemania promo package of all time featured a Limp Bizkit song

That song was way loving better than anything Imagine Dragons has ever excreted

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Garbage music is often good music for wrestling

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i like imagine dragons :(

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Randaconda posted:

That song was way loving better than anything Imagine Dragons has ever excreted

imagine dragons freakin sucks but limp bizkit's attempt at a deftones song is not much of an improvement

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alaois posted:

imagine dragons freakin sucks but limp bizkit's attempt at a deftones song is not much of an improvement

Deftones are also garbage, so it's a wash

:corsair:

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Dec 8, 2019

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Randaconda posted:

Deftones are also garbage, so it's a wash

:corsair:

You've gone too far now

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i don't like deftones but do you mean this??? the majority of bands around older than them are all just senior citizens scamming people for incredibly overpriced tickets out of nostalgia

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cavauro posted:

i don't like deftones but do you mean this??? the majority of bands around older than them are all just senior citizens scamming people for incredibly overpriced tickets out of nostalgia

No, I meant I'm old :negative:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Right, it's just that you have to be at least 69!!!!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

We're gonna sit here and poo poo on Imagine Dragons when Limp Bizkit is *right there*?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Best band Best wrestler Best hype vid

https://youtu.be/1g0W9GhO--k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
https://streamable.com/eq82i