Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Phigs posted:

Okay, so the mooncrash timer is not oppressive but it's also not good. They should have just added triggers for higher corruption in the game instead. Each section you visit and each escape ups the corruption for instance. As it is now I largely ignore the timer itself, but the presence of a timer makes me rush more than I'd like. Moon shark can also eat a dick. It's balanced to the point that it's not really worth fighting normally so I used to just sprint through the crater and emp the typhon gates and now I just start every game with some tentacle grenades so I can insta-kill that idiot. I kinda like it now, prepping for enemies brings back some nethack feelings, but I think you run into it too early so you develop a hatred for it before you figure out your options. It needed to be deeper into a run.

I just gained access to the security officer's story so I can unlock the janitor. I'm enjoying it but it's also disappointing. It's a really good proof of concept and makes me want something else like it, but between the Prey combat and some bad balancing decisions I'm not completely sold on this specific iteration.

I know how you feel about the moon shark, I think finding a solution to it is one early milestone that kind of defines the game, for better or worse. I experimented with Typhon lures and the super tentacle grenade, but by the end of my runs I was most comfortable just buying the super jetpack propulsion thingy. My routine became to just chuck a rock or whatever to distract it and then jet-sprint to the middle tower with a pre-bought power server blade or whatever. I really loved Mooncrash, but it's definitely part of the conceit to have to metagame a little bit. Cool that it's there and how it works, but at the same time, it deal feel a bit cheap. I'm not good at self-imposing challenges so I tend to expand to whatever broken stuff a game allows you to do. Once you can buy the hourglasses, the game especially starts becoming trivial. I started letting it get to level 2 or 3 simply because I got tired of how rapidly the level 1 noise and glitch effect began after chugging an hourglass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Level 3 is perfect because the timer is slow as hell, there are enough big enemies that you get lots of 'free' hourglasses, and the difficulty isn't so bad. I usually keep it at three and never buy hourglasses, although I believe I did craft a few in a pinch once. I had to learn this though because my first game I didn't get the crafting recipe for it until almost competing everything... The rng can force some interesting choices.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
https://youtu.be/adgMVxbC5vw

Still the most hosed up thing to happen in Prey. :thatsxcom: but it’s “That’s Immersive Sims!”

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Bogart posted:

Still the most hosed up thing to happen in Prey. :thatsxcom: but it’s “That’s Immersive Sims!”

Something like that happened to me in Mooncrash. For healthy to dead in a fraction because physics.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bogart posted:

I'm so glad I'm not the only person who got killed by that loving explosive canister.

My "best" physics death, though, was that time a poltergeist teleported my head into the ceiling, killing me instantly.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Just finished Joan's personal mission :smith:

e: just brutally beat a Telepath to death with a loving wrench in a tiny kitchenette while concussed and on 1 health, and went on to win as the security guy. This DLC loving kicks rear end

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 7, 2019

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The proper way to play Mooncrash is on 5, since the Nightmares spawn infinitely and are much more capable than in the main game. I once had to play cat and mouse with 3 nightmares simultaneously and it was amazing

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Bogart posted:

this is mimic justice

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Late-game spoilers: The military operatives are doing a good job of chewing through all my stored up resources from the game so far. And they come four or five at a time, it's a nightmare!

Also I tried the December ending and was greeted with a couple voice clips of Alex saying "this isn't the end we want. try again" and one of the medical staff restarting. IS THE WHOLE GAME A SIMULATION WHAAAAAT

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Arivia posted:

IS THE WHOLE GAME A SIMULATION WHAAAAAT

No it’s not that

Spoiler: I lied, that’s exactly what it is

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I finished Prey. Major spoilers below.

Honestly I'm not sure which ending I liked the best. I activated everything and headed up to the bridge, and worked through most of the permutations (Dahl died, so there was no escape shuttle.) What feels the most right was destroying the station, especially with Mikhaila telling me to do it after she heard what happened to her father. Q-Beaming Alex to get to the self-destruct is HORRIFYING, btw. I killed some people and saved others, so it was a mixed bag, but the operators in the hidden room thought I was pretty empathic.

Speaking of the hidden room, I did really like the twist. I saw it coming, I found the hidden note in Psychotronics about the hybrid the first time through, and then obviously as I just said I popped the simulation early and had it confirmed. It makes sense for it to be a simulation in a simulation, and that's earned.

It's a game that wants me to take a moral standpoint and I can't find a clear one, which is really interesting. The difficult thing is that responding morally naturally gets me mixed kill/no kill responses (like I was happy to save people on the station but anyone trying to get off got murdered to follow January's guidelines), and on replays I still have the no kill and kill everyone achievements to work through. I'm not sure how I'll handle all of those, but I want to see the permutations through. Does kill or no kill work better with a lot of Typhon mods, because I'll do that next. I'm speaking both morally and mechanically. The Cargo Bay defense would be hard with no kill and Typhon mods, as you'd need to invest a bunch in hacking to sort out all the turrets. So maybe just go hard kill Typhon only next run?

Speaking of, what's a good walkthrough? I went hard on human options and hacked my way into everything, but without hacking I'll need to find a bunch of notes and things.

First though, I have to find everyone on the space station, since I've got most of that done. I have a save from before entering the Cargo Bay to explore Dahl's shuttle, so I'll redo that, rush down to Life Support and kill him, then turn off his robot in Psychotronics, then run around and finish things up. As long as I don't go meet Alex in Arboretum, things shouldn't explode and make exploring untenable. I forced the robot in Psychotronics first, which meant I had to go stand off against Dahl in Arboretum and started the endgame straight up.

I'm sad there apparently won't be a sequel. The game really deserves one, narratively and mechanically.

e: oh! can I use new game+ to make the achievements easier to complete?

Arivia fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 9, 2019

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Arivia posted:

It's a game that wants me to take a moral standpoint and I can't find a clear one, which is really interesting. The difficult thing is that responding morally naturally gets me mixed kill/no kill responses (like I was happy to save people on the station but anyone trying to get off got murdered to follow January's guidelines), and on replays I still have the no kill and kill everyone achievements to work through. I'm not sure how I'll handle all of those, but I want to see the permutations through. Does kill or no kill work better with a lot of Typhon mods, because I'll do that next. I'm speaking both morally and mechanically. The Cargo Bay defense would be hard with no kill and Typhon mods, as you'd need to invest a bunch in hacking to sort out all the turrets. So maybe just go hard kill Typhon only next run?

So, the cargo bay isn't actually that hard if you went heavy on Typhon, even without hacking. First of all, you can set up the turrets, get the code, and then shut the turrets off before you open the door. That leaves you without the turrets for support, but frankly they're kind of disappointing compared to judicious use of Superthermal.

You can also just make sure the turrets are in front of you before opening the door -- they won't turn around to shoot you, they only scan in front of them. You might need to use telekinesis to operate the keypad without the turrets seeing you. That gives you support from the turrets, and once the fight is over you can turn them back off or just quietly move them out of the way. Just make sure not to do what I did, which was to catch them in a Kinetic Blast that knocked them over my head and resulted in them landing upright behind me and shooting me to death.

quote:

e: oh! can I use new game+ to make the achievements easier to complete?

I'm pretty sure you can still get achievements in NG+, yes.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

It is also worth noting that the Cargo Bay folks freak the gently caress out if they see you use Morph. So, uh, don't do that.

e: like, "most of the air abruptly becomes bullets" level freak-out. They don't take it very well, is what I'm saying

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah, that happened to me the first time; but I should really have seen that coming, and sort of did but I wanted to see how dedicated the game was.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Is there a list somewhere of the things you absolutely need hacking, repair, or leverage to get into? I’m debating how many neuromods to invest into those skills in addition to going Typhon-heavy. I’m also wondering if the Typhon attack mods like Psychoshock are enough to get by on, or if I need to keep a shotgun updated on top of that.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Psychoshock is a great ability but I still think having a shotgun upgraded is good to have if you are going to be combat heavy, more so early in the game. Stack ammo for it and with the gloo gun you got enough tools.

Next playthrough I'll do will be a more stealthy engineer that will bash stuff with the wrench. Maybe go over the 2 typhon power reshold and see how I manage against the defence systems with some extra hacking.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

It is also worth noting that the Cargo Bay folks freak the gently caress out if they see you use Morph. So, uh, don't do that.

e: like, "most of the air abruptly becomes bullets" level freak-out. They don't take it very well, is what I'm saying

Oh, I should try that. They're remarkably calm if they see you operating keypads from across the room or setting things on fire with your mind.

Arivia posted:

I’m also wondering if the Typhon attack mods like Psychoshock are enough to get by on, or if I need to keep a shotgun updated on top of that.

You can, and I'm mostly doing just that for my Typhon-only run, but having a shotgun helps a lot. One-shots mimics without needing to spend psi, good for finishing off enemies that Psychoshock didn't quite kill or things that almost got out of the blast radius of Superthermal before it went off, etc.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Finished Mooncrash last night. Goddamn, that ending. I adored the bit in the final sequence where you're going "uhh... okay it probably won't work, but let's try this? ...No, of course I don't have that much fuel. What if... this? No. No, obviously they wouldn't let me go there. Well, gently caress my life, I guess." It's a masterpiece of horror writing - you know where this is going, you know how this has to end, but you resist the whole way anyway. Fantastic balance of urgent panic and slow dread. Also, because I am a dad, I teared up at the guy going straight for his kid's doll and holding it close while he looked out the window.

The Volunteer's story mission had my husband and I pretty :stonk: as well. It even qualifies as a death rather than an escape lmao

Anyway, Prey owns, Mooncrash owns, and I love that (lore spoilers) the deepest, most gut-churning horror in both of them lies not in the Typhon, but in the world-building - debt-slavery, giving people free Neuromods so as to trick them into giving their employer the legal right to erase swathes of their mind with an apto-regressive neurotomy, casually sacrificing human beings on the altar of science in order to research more valuable products, individual greed and corporate espionage being ultimately responsible for the downfall of Earth. Unchecked capitalism was the true monster all along.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
This thread loves Mooncrash, but the reviews all seem lukewarm at best. What's that all about?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It's not story-driven in the same way as the base game, and the gameplay-forward design means that ppl notice how forgiving the difficulty is. The base game is plenty easy as well, Arkane doesn't go out of its way to prevent the player from doing anything. Mooncrash basically requires self-imposed restraint to add challenge.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Somehow I don’t think the game ultimately being easy is why it has a so so metacritic score.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
It’s a randomized rogue-like that doesn’t further the main game’s plot. That put me off of playing it for a long time, but I really enjoyed Mooncrash.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DreadCthulhu posted:

This thread loves Mooncrash, but the reviews all seem lukewarm at best. What's that all about?

When I read the negative reviews a lot of them were focused on the time limit mechanic, which would normally be a fair criticism but it didn't bother me at all once I actually played the game. It's well-done and enhanced my experience.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Time limits freak people the gently caress out. Majora's Mask is a global treasure but when it released people just couldn't get over the time mechanic.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Oh, I forgot to mention this earlier, but I might have noticed something cool in the Volunteer's story mission: I passed through a Typhon gate that registered 7 threats nearby, but I was only aware of 6 - my Neuromodded to gently caress Volunteer, the Moon Shark, a Technopath, and its three corrupted Operators. It's possible there was a Mimic or something nearby, and I just missed it - but my husband and I were already suspicious of the toy, for obvious reasons, so seeing the readout on the gate console made me go I loving KNEW IT

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Might interest some people in this thread

https://twitter.com/shawnelliott/status/1204178417966432257?s=21

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The last Bioshock was godawful but that doesn't mean that the next one has to be bad. I'm hopeful. A Rapture that's designed like Talos could be awesome. But if it's just More Bioshock, then it'll suck

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That tweet makes it sound like its news to him too that it's a *Shock successor. Which is not very reassuring.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Serephina posted:

That tweet makes it sound like its news to him too that it's a *Shock successor. Which is not very reassuring.

i think that it's possible that they had an untitled project and then the publisher decided that it was going to be called bioshock for marketing purposes

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

in case people don't know, he was a level designer for both infinite and prey

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
I'm probably in the very small minority of people who didn't enjoy the Bioshock series that much at all. The intro to the first game was rather engaging, but it devolved into a generic shotgun shooter for the rest of the game.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DreadCthulhu posted:

I'm probably in the very small minority of people who didn't enjoy the Bioshock series that much at all. The intro to the first game was rather engaging, but it devolved into a generic shotgun shooter for the rest of the game.

Pretty much

all of those games are completely unplayable a second time, a successor to system shock they are not

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Bioshock is good

also Chris Avellone let slip that he was working on a Bioshock sequel like a year and change ago, on one of his lush days. Speaking of Prey staff

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
I could never call Bioshock a bad game I enjoyed playing it. On the other hand once I finished it my first thought was how I didn't think I am ever going to replay it and decade latter I have never desired to and I have started System Shock 2 two or three times since then.

Bioshock have some very strong elements: Rapture is beautiful and I can't think of any games that have a setting like it, the Big Daddies are fun to fight and Andrew Ryan's inevitable failure to create a libertarian utopia is a compelling narrative but everything else is just meh.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 10, 2019

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

Bioshock is good

i wonder if i'd like it more if i was better at action games (not meant as a backhanded dig at the game). outside the atmosphere and phenomenal world, i didn't like playing it much past the first few hours.

e: that came out harsher than i meant, i just wasn't having much fun with the combat, which makes up most of the game.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 10, 2019

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Rinkles posted:

i wonder if i'd like it more if i was better at action games (not meant as a backhanded dig at the game). outside the atmosphere and phenomenal world, i didn't like playing it much past the first few hours.

e: that came out harsher than i meant, i just wasn't having much fun with the combat, which makes up most of the game.
No I think that’s a v fair assessment of the game

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
FYI, if you haven't played Minerva's Den, you've been missing out. Bioshock 2 had the best gameplay of the Bioshock series, and Minerva's Den has a great low-key stand-alone story unburdened by Ken Levine's ego, or 2's narrative problems. It condenses all the best parts of 2 into a great, short immersive sim.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Bioshock 1 was good for me up until the last.. 1/4 of the game and the final boss because it sucked really hard. I liked to hear all audiologs and loved the setting. Combat wasn't amazing but plasmids looked nice enough. Years later I've only played it to completion once because there's not much point on doing so.

Bioshock 2 was decent and had better combat while I wasn't as invested on the plot coming from the first but the DLC was cool enough.

Bioshock Infinite at the other hand divides me. It has a really cool start and aesthetic, a big change from the underwater to the skies and is colorful. Combat is a step down from 2 and plot goes bad really fast but the setting helped me beat it. With the lovely plot and "twist" at the end left me with a bad taste. Can't remember but I think it was the last DLC the one that was decent at least.

Prey is better than them in every aspect in my opinion and gives the player enough freedom and variety of skills for newer playthroughs.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Guillermus posted:

Bioshock 1 was good for me up until the last.. 1/4 of the game and the final boss because it sucked really hard. I liked to hear all audiologs and loved the setting. Combat wasn't amazing but plasmids looked nice enough. Years later I've only played it to completion once because there's not much point on doing so.

Bioshock 2 was decent and had better combat while I wasn't as invested on the plot coming from the first but the DLC was cool enough.

Bioshock Infinite at the other hand divides me. It has a really cool start and aesthetic, a big change from the underwater to the skies and is colorful. Combat is a step down from 2 and plot goes bad really fast but the setting helped me beat it. With the lovely plot and "twist" at the end left me with a bad taste. Can't remember but I think it was the last DLC the one that was decent at least.

Prey is better than them in every aspect in my opinion and gives the player enough freedom and variety of skills for newer playthroughs.

Bioshock infinite got super trudgy at the last 1/3 against million bulletsponge enemies so my advice still today is that If you are interested on the ”plot” just watch the last few hours from youtube rather than bothering to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

DreadCthulhu posted:

I don't know if generic is disparaging enough for its combat. Shooting limited ammo at a bunch of tweakers as they twitch about has never been fun.