Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Elentor posted:

Is there an in-game penalty for overcapping in tft? (other than the whole can't buy new champions or you they go to bench).

Only the feeling of guilt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

As someone who does really enjoy Runeterra, maybe this will actually release enough lore for Riot to stop retconning everything when they want to release or update a champion. Maybe it will finally get them to update the VOs of all the champs that are completely outdated.

But probably not.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

what in the world does enjoying runeterra have to do with riot updating voice actors

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Because there's a disconnect when I read the lore of, say, Miss Fortune, and she's a hardened killer with a soft spot for her crew and it makes me want to play her in game, and then her in game voice acting is her basically flirting with you.

There are a lot of champs like that.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
mf has terrible voice acting.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

rabidsquid posted:

what in the world does enjoying runeterra have to do with riot updating voice actors

As the other League Lore Liker (LLL), ive actually come to accept that selling champions in terms of lore/aesthetics ingame is like 90% voice acting/presentation because let's face it the writing is only gonna be OK at best and there's only so much you can do with it ingame. Jhin's lines for example aren't exactly anything mind-blowing when you're just reading them, but the voice acting and classical music are so good that he's one of the most beloved characters in the game (not the only reason of course, but a big one). Contrast with kai'sa whose voice acting is boring and deadpan as gently caress and even though she has a theoretically pretty cool backstory and is wildly popular no one gives a poo poo about her as a character at all

edit: plus look at newer champs like pyke and urgot who have amazing effects on their voices to bring their characters to life, vs malphite who was made when making Mountain Guy meant "pitch shift the intern's voice down in audcaity"

Monicro fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 6, 2019

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Well the sound booth and the script were both taxxed to contain her so they could only get one take

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

kaisa is cool because she's zero suit samus

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Tonight I played a Xerath/Sivir pushfest bot lane and after I had the Pyke in post-game lobby type

"xerath"
"get some rope"
"find a ceiling fan"
"step on a creaky chair"
"make a knot"
"put ur head in the loop"
"kick out the chair"

So I guess that's how he avoids getting popped by the system to for saying "kys" or "lynch urself"

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

you can get reported for post game lobby chat so. no. probably not.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

yeah but he never used a specific word that would probably get him detected

but i'd agree it's way less toxic than it used to be. I turned off my allied and all chat a while ago and it's been great.

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?

drat did you accidentally take a cannon minion?

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
poo poo talking is one thing but telling someone to kts is just loving rude, and its the lowest effort of trolls.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
playing without /mute all is just stupid

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
No need for mute-all, if someone goes toxic or tilts just don't engage with them, have the willpower yourself to press esc instead of enter on that sick burn you thought up and just keep focused on the right plays.

Also it's good that someone typing kys or variations is a pretty much guaranteed ban, people get so emotional and invested in the game at times there could be people out there in a bad state of mind that would take up the advice, it's at least good to see the message popup that those people got their accounts taken away.

Even had that happen this week with a guy going full toxic despite us being ahead in every single category but not winning hard enough, so he typed KYS one letter at a time and said his other account was getting unbanned within a week so he didn't care, then post-game did the slimy weasal poo poo of trying to say he wasn't toxic at all, he got banned within the day.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
i dont want to know the mood or the level of frustration of the players on my team. im so loving happy living in ignorance and just focusing on my own play.

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
Maybe because I'm only level 17 or something with ~40 games under my belt, but it doesn't seem like people talk much in games anymore. I think the system defaults new players to having /all chat off, which I think is a great idea. Only once or twice in all my games have I had someone get really toxic, and 3 of the other 4 players came to their defense. Being able to talk almost entirely in pings now is great.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Only the feeling of guilt.

Well then.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I like the League Lore, I liked it more when the League of Legends was actually cannon to the game League of Legends. But there's some fun world building, especially in the card game like how Vladimir has a bunch of edgy goth teenage fans in Noxus.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
trundle has a big club and he likes to hit people with it.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

garen likes damacia, his home (citation needed). jarvan iv as well

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Slaapaav posted:

trundle has a big club and he likes to hit people with it.

Yeah me too but you don't hear me bragging about it.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Lord_Magmar posted:

I like the League Lore, I liked it more when the League of Legends was actually cannon to the game League of Legends. But there's some fun world building, especially in the card game like how Vladimir has a bunch of edgy goth teenage fans in Noxus.

Vlad's edgy teen posse is the best thing to come out of this game.
League Lore is superfluous and the writing for the stories is often pretty garbage but I like what little actually is there.

I also keep chat on because those times there's a genuinely cool guy that makes calls and glhf's at the start of the game both make up for and probably outnumber the actual toxic cesspool parts, but I'm also euw bronze gutter trash and don't touch ranked so

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

League's "universe" is an incredibly valuable property. It lends itself well to nearly every popular type of game out there, and it's successfully mushed enough genres and aesthetic styles together that you can appeal to a broader cross-section of people besides "people who like League." Something like KD/A has enough popular recognition from League fans to push it into the mainstream, where music fans - people who might otherwise have never even touched League - get hooked. Even Runeterra - which is the fantasy kitchen sink Forgotten Realms always longed to be - has such a broad net of popular appeal that you can scoop up just about everyone who's even vaguely interested in the fantasy genre.The fact that it's taken them this long to exploit that is entirely on upper management being a bunch of dinguses who blindly stumbled into their incredible success more than anything else.

Polderjoch posted:

League Lore is superfluous and the writing for the stories is often pretty garbage but I like what little actually is there.

The writing's been getting progressively better, now that they have enough money and clout to start hiring actual-for-real writers. Still, I'm never expecting Dostoevsky from them: League is fundamentally a chuuni-rear end universe, and the writers they get - dudes like Dan Abnett - understand how to cater to that sensibility.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Monicro posted:

Yeah my understanding is there's a list of extreme no-no words (slurs, kys, etc) that the robots pop people for immediately, and thus the trick to being toxic is just avoiding those keywords like the worlds lamest hacker

finally my l33t h4><0r sk1llz are relevant again

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Hellioning posted:

Because there's a disconnect when I read the lore of, say, Miss Fortune, and she's a hardened killer with a soft spot for her crew and it makes me want to play her in game, and then her in game voice acting is her basically flirting with you.

There are a lot of champs like that.

The og canon mf should be the one who's running all over the place in pyjamas, farting stars out of plastic guns.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The new lore will never match the height and weight of the old lore.

Karthus was a wizard, one day, he drowned in a swamp, now he is the death singer, the end.

Tryndamere was a kid, one day, his barbarian tribe was murdered by mysterious strangers, now he is the barbarian king, the end.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Karthus was a wizard, one day, he drowned in a swamp, now he is the death singer, the end.

Tryndamere was a kid, one day, his barbarian tribe was murdered by mysterious strangers, now he is the barbarian king, the end.

Maokai was a tree. Too much magic nearby brought him to life. Maokai thinks "This sucks".

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Sion searches for his chopper, seeking knowledge of who is your summoner, and what does he do.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Vermain posted:

League's "universe" is an incredibly valuable property.

no its not!!! not its not!!!!

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Two histories in one:

Soraka was a god, she got really mad about this murderer named Warwick so she forsook godhood to curse him, the end.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Warwick: Alchemist werewolf? (????????) also has a canister on his back because we hired poorly

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

eric ciaramella posted:

Sion searches for his chopper, seeking knowledge of who is your summoner, and what does he do.

hahahaha

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Currently Warwick was not an alchemist, he was a random former gangster who Singed captured and turned into a werewolf.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
chemical gangster werewolf?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

He’s “Bad”-era Michael Jackson who was turned into the werewolf from the Thriller video, exactly

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Udyr was a kid who got beat up by his parents then became a feral forest child. A monk walked through his forest one day and he tried to scare/fight him and couldn't. The monk said come with me and Ill teach you. And he did.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Also this quote about Alistar lmao

quote:

His charitable work has earned him several philanthropic awards, which serve as an interesting contrast to the rage and destruction he brings to the League of Legends.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Pussy Quipped posted:

Also this quote about Alistar lmao
Canonically a Targon's support

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

mundo buys and mundo sells