Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

I'm really curious what the actual status of SQ42 is right now. It must be bad because they would have shown it at Citcon if they had anything, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Spatial posted:

I'm really curious what the actual status of SQ42 is right now. It must be bad because they would have shown it at Citcon if they had anything, right?

This is the truest indicator of the entire project. Since they subsist entirely on pity donations from the mentally handicapped, they have to always show the absolute best they have, no exceptions. Now look at what they've shown, and imagine how much worse the poo poo they're not showing must be.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

UnknownTarget posted:

What I don't get about SQ42 is why they needed the procedural planets. There's literally no single level that that's a requirement.

It's because procedural things were trendy at one point during the development, so roberts had to have it.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Time to bug out?

PLAYER MISSING HEAD IN STAR MARINE

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I guess Chris the Code Whisperer finally got the server to boot in headless mode, eh?
:smuggo:

Scruffpuff posted:

This is the truest indicator of the entire project. Since they subsist entirely on pity donations from the mentally handicapped, they have to always show the absolute best they have, no exceptions. Now look at what they've shown, and imagine how much worse the poo poo they're not showing must be.

And yet backers claim there are plenty of things they don't want to show until they can be used for surprise effect.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

Must be hard to reconcile daily most open development with the sq42 ultra secrecy.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Spatial posted:

My money says that they know the jig is up with the lawsuit and any movement forward about a title they are in fact not supposed to be making is going to be used as evidence in that trial.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

they're trying to keep the biggest spoiler of all from leaking: they don't have a single playable mission in yet

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Inacio posted:

they're trying to keep the biggest spoiler of all from leaking: they don't have a single playable mission in yet

Use spoiler tags, please.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Spatial posted:

I was looking at the roadmap, specifically at the chapters, the other day, and it's quite staggering how little they've done in an entire year.

You know the phases CIG defined for the progression of their chapters? "Whitebox Narrative, Whitebox Playable, Greybox, Production, and Polish?" Not a single chapter has ever made it past Greybox. Ever.

It's still kind of ill defined what they actually consider these phases to be, as "whitebox" is just something CIG seems to have made up, but basically, all chapters still have placeholder assets, still have mechanics that need to be implemented, etc. None of the levels in SQ42 are anywhere close to production/final playable state, and if they ever were in the past, like the previous SQ42 vertical slices, those were either fabricated entirely or all that work was thrown out and redone.

There is absolutely no way they enter SQ42 beta in 2020 unless they suddenly triple their development speed and competency overnight. It's no surprise they won't give any sort of estimated release date for the final game.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 6, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

DapperDon posted:

My money says that they know the jig is up with the lawsuit and any movement forward about a title they are in fact not supposed to be making is going to be used as evidence in that trial.

How's the refund coming?

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
It makes sense as they would tend to hit a massive roadblock once it needs to be "Playable" right? "Whitebox Narrative" is super easy because that's just a formalized dreams.txt but having a working thing? That's just straight out of reach.

I can't imagine that there's a Squadron release of any sort in 2020.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

I think SQ42 is being saved for the Livestream, if they do one.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Fidelitious posted:

It makes sense as they would tend to hit a massive roadblock once it needs to be "Playable" right? "Whitebox Narrative" is super easy because that's just a formalized dreams.txt but having a working thing? That's just straight out of reach.

I can't imagine that there's a Squadron release of any sort in 2020.

Yeah, seems that way. It's super confusing what the difference is between Whitebox "Playable" and "Narrative" is, but as far as I can tell, both phases are pretty much just still the writing phase, but just using the game engine as a storyboard tool. And then the actual map design, enemy encounters, all the, you know, "gameplay" and "game design", happens in greybox. The phase where, again, they've never finished a single chapter.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 6, 2019

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, seems that way. It's super confusing what the difference is between Whitebox "Playable" and "Narrative" is, but as far as I can tell, both phases are pretty much just still the writing phase, but just using the game engine as a storyboard tool. And then the actual map design, enemy encounters, all the, you know, "gameplay" and "game design", happens in greybox. The phase where, again, they've never finished a single chapter.

What concerns me is that they split "playable" and "narrative" into two separate things. It's not horribly surprising since Chris doesn't know what a game is, vs what a movie is, but it's still concerning. Does that mean the game toggles between playable areas and in-engine cutscenes, like the worst games ever made, or does it seamlessly have the world and narrative occurring around you without taking away player agency, like Half-Life 2 did? The second thing is more immersive, and as we know, Chris says the word "immersion" like he has a vocal tic but his actual products are the least immersive pieces of poo poo in gaming history - anti-immersive, if anything. Which means the first answer is the correct one.

Which means even their cutscenes aren't done yet, because of course they're not. So my keen guess is that CIG is permanently stuck in "whitebox narrative" development while Chris Roberts stammers, drools, and waves his hands pretending to be a movie director in front of some unfortunate prick covered in ping-pong balls, deleting function arguments and turning to the camera, then spitting on a cake and designing the fourth iteration of a leather jacket; in the meantime, the rest of the team types up "lore" while waiting to do something - anything - gameplay related, once someone tells them what kind of game they're supposed to be making.

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019
I wouldn't be surprised if they are struggling to finish a quarter of the cutscenes.

Can you imagine giving a terrible director limitless budget? He'd think he has all the time in the word to reedit, change things around. There's no actor egos he has to handle. Everything from props to extras can be changed by a request to the SQ42 production team.

and oh god, lighting, the length of Mark Hamill's character's beard. everything can be manipulated to his desires.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

DapperDon posted:

That actually makes a lot of sense. Guess we will see soon enough either way at the holidays stream or any annoucements early next year.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

MedicineHut posted:

That actually makes a lot of sense. Guess we will see soon enough either way at the holidays stream or any annoucements early next year.

We all just need to stay frosty until then.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I am also unsure what beta will mean for them. How are they defining it and couldn't they just lie like they did with the status of sq42 so many times before?

Have they promised beta access to backers?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Spatial posted:

If the Roadmap can be believed, Squadron hit a wall in the (latest) year it was supposed to be wrapping up. All that hype surrounding the Calder investment — “we raised $46 million to help give Squadron a AAA-worthy marketing campaign” — assumed the launch date was set:

quote:

While Roberts can use the new funds as he wishes, the whole point of raising more money is to develop full marketing campaigns for the launch of the first game in the Star Citizen universe, the single-player Squadron 42 that finally has a launch window.

Venturebeat posted:

The company continues to add people as it nears the launch of Squadron 42.

Venturebeat posted:

The new investment was made equally into each side of the Cloud Imperium Group (including both the U.S. and U.K.). Roberts said this all funding round allows the company to dedicated most of its pledge money to development, publishing, and community engagement. Meanwhile, the new round will be used to prepare marketing campaigns for the launch of Squadron 42.

Venturebeat posted:

Roberts also released a public roadmap for the remaining development targets for Squadron 42. That will allow fans to track the game’s progress toward completion.

Venturebeat posted:

He noted that the marketing expense will be big because Cloud Imperium’s games will be going up against other Triple-A games that have tens of millions of dollars in advertising campaigns behind them.

The gaming press and much of the community seemed to believe that Calder’s investment was proof positive that the end was finally in sight for Squadron. From late 2017 through mid-2018, we replayed the Squadron hype cycle of the fall of 2015. It was all eyes on Squadron. And as with 2015, the wall of hype was followed by a long, conspicuous silence — the latter of which continues to this day. Our only glimpses are of Roadmaps, and rather than the journey growing shorter, we see the roads stretching further ahead.

Were the news good, Chris surely would’ve done some teasing at CitCon. But he said no more about Squadron than he did about Sandi. It wasn’t even included in the vague “road ahead” section at the end of CitCon. (Surely Chris has said a lot more to Calder, if Calder did in fact put $46 million in because he was especially interested in the movie game Chris desperately flogged back in his investor pitch video from Holiday 2017... because how could he not?)

I can understand, if the news is indeed bad, why Chris would stay quiet about it during the critical, year end ship sale push to fans. Why risk setting CIG up for another clickbait feeding frenzy about CIG’s delays? But it seems like he might want to address the issue fairly soon. The question keeps coming up with each dismal reddit post about the Squadron Roadmap.

I’d not be surprised if Chris helped shape the BBC Click piece to partly achieve that purpose. The last BBC Click piece was mostly a forum for Chris and employees to talk about how ambitious the projects are and how hard they’re working. Chris whined about criticisms from all the “armchair developers” and “armchair CEOs” out there who don’t understand how important scope creep and lying really is to visionaries like him. It wasn’t much different from a Gamestar puff piece.

As noted before, they might be dinging Chris a bit on his abuse of the UK Video Game Tax credit program since it was big news in 2019. But I’d not be surprised if they also give him the opportunity to talk about Squadron’s delays on his own terms. Maybe he gives them some exclusive unseen clips and they give him an uncritical chance to excusemake about delays. This would fit the pattern of Chris once again NOT sharing news with backers first and instead giving it to a friendly press outlet so he can reach new audiences.

Even if Click doesn’t touch Squadron, Chris surely needs to in the next month or so. Otherwise he’s just setting himself up for a bigger drubbing once Summer 2020 rolls around.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I suspect the reason that exists is because cr has to approve everything and insists on making many changes and frequently scraps everything. so they need these extra weird steps to accommodate that. in typical development that would be handled in a much more hierarchical and efficient manor.

probably normally whitebox narrative would be an overall game design not level specific.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

One of the biggest roadblocks is probably the AI. There's no way they can finalize the design of any level or enemy encounter when the AI is in such a completely unplayable state. So they're really stuck until some future fantasy date where the AI is unfucked.

AbstractNapper posted:

I am also unsure what beta will mean for them. How are they defining it and couldn't they just lie like they did with the status of sq42 so many times before?

Have they promised beta access to backers?

:shrug: Dunno. Beta should mean "feature complete", so all levels are designed, all gameplay systems work, etc. For many multiplayer games, a beta means everything works, but it's just a few levels or time-limited. For a solo game? I guess that would mean essentially a short demo, but that would mean they'd have to have all the gameplay systems working 100% and at least one level completed. Unless CIG decides to change the meaning of "beta"!

I believe all backers get access to the beta, yeah, since buying PU access comes with SQ42 access.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

echothreealpha posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they are struggling to finish a quarter of the cutscenes.

Can you imagine giving a terrible director limitless budget? He'd think he has all the time in the word to reedit, change things around. There's no actor egos he has to handle. Everything from props to extras can be changed by a request to the SQ42 production team.

and oh god, lighting, the length of Mark Hamill's character's beard. everything can be manipulated to his desires.

Why would we need to imagine it? Whale backers are practically doing it right before our eyes.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Bofast posted:

Why would we need to imagine it? Whale backers are practically doing it right before our eyes.

This is the closest Hollywood example I can think of off the top of my head: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overnight

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Unless CIG decides to change the meaning of "beta"!

CIG has been playing fast and loose with industry standard definitions from day one - Chris is even on record as saying some completely standard things like version control numbers are the "old way" of doing things.

You are correct in that a beta is basically the finished game. In a perfect scenario where there are miraculously no bugs in the product, the beta, release candidate, and shipped copy would be identical. In real-world scenarios the beta is what they hope is bug free, the release candidate is the one they're pretty sure is bug free (after QA finds bugs), and the shipped copy is usually the latest release candidate.

Alpha is my favorite, because CIG has mangled the meaning beyond belief. Alpha products are when the game systems are complete and playable, but the game itself is not completely done yet. An example might be in a shooter game with stealth elements, you have 4 of the 9 planned guns in place, you have NPCs and AI, a few maps done, and you can get behind the controls and experience every game loop there is. At that state you just have to assemble the parts into the final product. A pre-alpha is also playable, but doesn't have all the parts in yet (perhaps stealth mechanics aren't implemented yet, but shooting is).

CIG isn't even in pre-alpha because the game has no mechanics, and what is there, doesn't work. So they lie, abuse the terms, claim the entire rest of the industry is using them wrong, as if that suddenly makes Star Citizen good.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

echothreealpha posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empires_of_the_Deep

quote:

n December 2014 the movie was announced as complete and due for release in China in December 2015 after almost five years of post-production, mostly coming from the visual effects, which had increased the budget to well over US$140 million.[5] As of December 2019, the film remains unreleased, going through four directors, 10 scriptwriters and with many of the actors and production and technical crews still unpaid.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Solarin posted:

Hey I believe you won the citizen con fundraising total guessing game. Spending millions out of your own pocket to rig the contest was a bold move but it will pay off when your ships appreciate in value

e: god dammit that will teach me to not read the last page of the thread

You're welcome I think. Literally rigged it hard too, including getting loans from shady Saudi Arabian millionaires to help ensure I am successful!

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

How's the refund coming?

Not losing hope as I still fighting the good fight.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Raskolnikov posted:

Wow that's really mean. :(

I like to evenly balance sweet with mean so that I am never one too far into the other. :)

marumaru
May 20, 2013

:(

e:
lol a few posts below a screenshot of the same thing from that video

marumaru fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 6, 2019

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

monkeytek posted:

Totally not fair! Titanic abandons us for months, probably playing around behind our backs with the Lusitania, Sinks back into our lives then wins the ultimate prize of the year!?!? This can not stand!

This is an outrage!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

stinch posted:

I suspect the reason that exists is because cr has to approve everything and insists on making many changes and frequently scraps everything. so they need these extra weird steps to accommodate that. in typical development that would be handled in a much more hierarchical and efficient manor.

probably normally whitebox narrative would be an overall game design not level specific.

It's rare to see one man slow down progress in a project more than the combined red tape of an entire government, but Chris Roberts sure managed it.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

This is the closest Hollywood example I can think of off the top of my head: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overnight

Huh, interesting.

:eyepop:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

you guys are nuts. how the heck do you think star citizen isn't the best looking game of all time

Web Madness
Apr 25, 2008
I tried 3.7 last night.

After waiting for it to patch, I launched into the game. Upon entering PU, Windows offered to close other programs because StarCitizen.exe was requesting more memory (I have 24 GB RAM). Then I pressed "Y" to get out of bed, and watched my avatar stand up at < 10fps. Took two steps forward and was greeted with a crash report window - StarCitizen.exe had exited.

I think I'll wait for 4.0 or whatever the "beta" release is :crobear:.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Inacio posted:

you guys are nuts. how the heck do you think star citizen isn't the best looking game of all time

Where is his middle and index finger?

At the very least the index should lie straight across the trigger guard, showing proper trigger discipline.

I mean ergonomically it looks like he is holding it like a clamshell.

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019
One theory I have on why we haven't seen Squadron 42 is they are working in some sort of terrible crunch time to get it done by the end of 2020... and hitting the PS5 & next gen Xbox launch window. That's a gold rush window right there.

and I really hope it happens because boy, I have no doubt it will be one of the buggiest, terribly made launch game we would ever see.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

monkeytek posted:

Where is his middle and index finger?

At the very least the index should lie straight across the trigger guard, showing proper trigger discipline.

I mean ergonomically it looks like he is holding it like a clamshell.

uh

early days?

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Web Madness posted:

I tried 3.7 last night.

After waiting for it to patch, I launched into the game. Upon entering PU, Windows offered to close other programs because StarCitizen.exe was requesting more memory (I have 24 GB RAM). Then I pressed "Y" to get out of bed, and watched my avatar stand up at < 10fps. Took two steps forward and was greeted with a crash report window - StarCitizen.exe had exited.

I think I'll wait for 4.0 or whatever the "beta" release is :crobear:.

That reminds me of a thought I had, that one day I might wake up and load up the thread and the title will have changed again. But this time it reads: Star Citizen Has Stopped Working. It will be the day when Star Citizen finally gets flushed down the toilet.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

To be fair, the probably don't want any of the plot leaking before release.

Those....<struggles for breath>...day one sales....Nah, I can't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

echothreealpha posted:

One theory I have on why we haven't seen Squadron 42 is they are working in some sort of terrible crunch time to get it done by the end of 2020... and hitting the PS5 & next gen Xbox launch window. That's a gold rush window right there.

and I really hope it happens because boy, I have no doubt it will be one of the buggiest, terribly made launch game we would ever see.

:fap: