Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

We need more ugly and weird animation. So much of today's animation is cute and homogeneous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
otoh, big mouth

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Ugh, yeah. That may be the greatest show of all time and I'd never know it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Detective No. 27 posted:

We need more ugly and weird animation. So much of today's animation is cute and homogeneous.

I kept hearing John K saying this and nodding along, and then he turned out to be a creep and I feel like everything I learned from him is now suspect

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

He's a pretty big loving creep.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
"sometimes creeps are also right about stuff" - socrates, probably

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

LSD at the gangbang posted:

Klasky Csupo is hideous and only worked for Duckman

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

you guys realize that even rugrats didn't look the same throughout its run right? its first season was just as rough and hideous as the simpsons' first season

also, can we PLEASE stop defending seasons 1 and 2? why go to bat for it so often when there are far more deserving seasons you can defend?

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Why wouldn't we defend a season that contains Bob's RV Roundup?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mr Interweb posted:

you guys realize that even rugrats didn't look the same throughout its run right? its first season was just as rough and hideous as the simpsons' first season

also, can we PLEASE stop defending seasons 1 and 2? why go to bat for it so often when there are far more deserving seasons you can defend?

Cuz 2 is best season

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think the reason it's all homogeneous is because everyone is going for a simple look that yields well to the animation software. I get the idea that uglier animation just doesn't play as nice vs cute clean lines.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Mr Interweb posted:

Seasons 1 and 2 are better than seasons 8 and 9. :colbert:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

2-4 are so drat good. I got a weird thing where I prefer earlier seasons of shows though. Even ones I like.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ikanreed posted:

They dug way lower when Bart fell in the well

You're right I think that's probably the lowest elevation. Did they ever go to the Grand canyon or maybe into a mine or cavern?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

John Wick of Dogs posted:

You're right I think that's probably the lowest elevation. Did they ever go to the Grand canyon or maybe into a mine or cavern?

What about Springfield Gorge?

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Just look at the list of Season 2 episodes. So many classics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Simpsons_(season_2)

And Bart goes to France was in Season 1?
https://i.imgur.com/rXBDMpe.mp4

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

S1 had some janky animation bits but the directing ideas were lit

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Iron Crowned posted:

What about Springfield Gorge?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vZ2_O3mnsg

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wait this thread is about the least point of elevation in the Simpsons right? I'm not misinterpreting that? Not counting like, treehouse of horror where Homer goes to hell or something

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

If we aren't counting that time Homer went to hell, then the lowest point in elevation would have to be when we see Shiva in the earth's core in Bart vs Australia

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Wait this thread is about the least point of elevation in the Simpsons right? I'm not misinterpreting that? Not counting like, treehouse of horror where Homer goes to hell or something

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

AstroWhale posted:

no you see seasons 1 and 2 were bad stop defending them using examples of the good eps and animation!!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

I think the reason it's all homogeneous is because everyone is going for a simple look that yields well to the animation software. I get the idea that uglier animation just doesn't play as nice vs cute clean lines.
You can do weird-cool-ugly animation in modern animation software, it just requires intentionally ignoring most of said software's featureset. I remember hearing that Superjail (or the first couple seasons at least) were done entirely in Flash while ignoring pretty much every feature that wasn't the pencil and flood fill tools.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AstroWhale posted:

Season 2 is very good, and if you haven't seen it in a while, it's a nice surprise to find those classic episodes that you haven't seen forever, but can't remember which season it's from (it's season 2).

I think that the bigger problem is that The Simpsons didn't hit their stride until season 3. The animation wasn't quite nailed down yet in season 2 and while it's very good, season 3 is excellent.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Homer really did die when he ate the fugu. Everything since then has been a hallucination of his dying mind.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Just lol if you're that pedestrian. It's clearly all a hallucination by Santa's little helper during his race, imagining what would happen if he loses again

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The new one was an episode of "The Flanderseses" featuring a new theme song with lyrics about the Flanderseses.

Todd decides he doesn't believe in God because his mom is dead, so Ned banishes him to The Simpsons house.

Lisa pitches him Buddhism with a fundamentally incorrect description of Buddhism. She even calls Buddha a god. Then she asks her framed picture of Buddha what he reincarnated David Bowie as, and a fly with David Bowie calls out to her that his new life sucks, and she says "I've been meditating too much." The end of the show stinger features Lisa getting berated by Buddha for being a bad salesman.

Ned gets drunk with Homer. Hans Moleman, driving Lindsey Nagle in an Uber, hits them coming out if the bar. Todd regains his faith by praying for Ned to come out of a coma.

Ned's vigil is attended by the whole town, while Homer's is just by Moe, Duffman, and Lenny. Carl doesn't attend, and it's not pointed out, which makes it the only good joke of the episode.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

The new one was an episode of "The Flanderseses" featuring a new theme song with lyrics about the Flanderseses.

Todd decides he doesn't believe in God because his mom is dead, so Ned banishes him to The Simpsons house.

Lisa pitches him Buddhism with a fundamentally incorrect description of Buddhism. She even calls Buddha a god.

Isn't there some Buddhists that do that?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

AstroWhale posted:

Isn't there some Buddhists that do that?

Ah, you know I guess I shouldn't rule it out, but I think the vast majority do not. Their practices look like worship, but Buddha was enlightened, not a personal creator god.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The episode where Bart goes to France is a great example of early season bad editing and overcrowded dialog. Never in that episode’s wildest dreams would there ever be any references to Peter Ueberroth.

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

Season 10 I think was when the new character designs became really noticeable:

First there's some typical looking Simpsons characters in a crowd

Same episode seconds later, there's these characters in a completely different style (I can't tell if they're supposed to be a reference to someone in particular?)

It's super jarring in contrast and they decided to run with that more detailed, realistically proportioned style even though it's out of place with the rest of the characters

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They were just talking about those characters on Talking Simpsons. They're animators families and such.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Mike Scully's daughters specially

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

dracky posted:

Season 10 I think was when the new character designs became really noticeable:

First there's some typical looking Simpsons characters in a crowd

Same episode seconds later, there's these characters in a completely different style (I can't tell if they're supposed to be a reference to someone in particular?)

It's super jarring in contrast and they decided to run with that more detailed, realistically proportioned style even though it's out of place with the rest of the characters

Yea when they added cheekbones of all things, it hosed with the facial style. Also when shadows/cell shading was added. Show really wasn't the same after these changes.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Master Twig posted:

Seasons 1 and 2 are better than seasons 8 and 9. :colbert:

okay, how do i get torn six ways from sunday on here with my comment about seasons 1 and 2, yet THIS guy roams free completely unscathed despite his comments on seasons 8 and 9??!

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Just rewatched Moaning Lisa, it was OK, it's the first time we see Lisa being too smart for her own good and Homer is now the familiar well-meaning oaf after the weirdness of There's No Disgrace Like Home. Some decent gags and the B-Plot of Homer trying to beat Bart at Super Slugfest was probably more entertaining than the main one. I felt a little bad for Homer when Marge unplugged the game as Bart was on the ropes so I guess the episode did a good job of imparting how it was important for Homer that Bart doesn't see him as a total goof, even if it's just at playing not-Punchout.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Walton Simons posted:

Just rewatched Moaning Lisa, it was OK, it's the first time we see Lisa being too smart for her own good and Homer is now the familiar well-meaning oaf after the weirdness of There's No Disgrace Like Home. Some decent gags and the B-Plot of Homer trying to beat Bart at Super Slugfest was probably more entertaining than the main one. I felt a little bad for Homer when Marge unplugged the game as Bart was on the ropes so I guess the episode did a good job of imparting how it was important for Homer that Bart doesn't see him as a total goof, even if it's just at playing not-Punchout.

It's funny, I remember when I first saw this as a little kid I was rooting for Bart the whole way and was relieved when Marge saved his win streak when she pulled the plug. Aging has definitely shown me what you said though, and I do feel for Homer.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Mr Interweb posted:

okay, how do i get torn six ways from sunday on here with my comment about seasons 1 and 2, yet THIS guy roams free completely unscathed despite his comments on seasons 8 and 9??!

Because I'm right, and we all know it.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Master Twig posted:

Because I'm right, and we all know it.

Actually you’re not and I was too tired to comment before telling you what a terrible take that was to even suggest season 1 is better than a season that has The Old Man and the Lisa, Homer’s Phobia, MOTHERFUCKING Homer’s Enemy? A Mulhouse Divided? I sleep in a race car, do you? gently caress me dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
8>2>1>9