Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Replacing those period with tlide or forward slash would be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

This is some example of her dialogue.

4th level bond:
「マスターは お日様の匂いがする」

Defeat:
「時間 離別 悲哀 挨拶 ……さよなら……マスター」

Sanzang:
「ダメ僧侶 ドジ僧侶 チキン僧侶 泣き虫僧侶。大聖に逃げられるの 当然 フォローも已む無し ……ふぅ」

They put periods instead of spaces.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I don’t know what that means, YggdrasilTM. :(

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Bogart posted:

It doesn't really matter. My point is, Japanese never use space between words, while Nezha use it lot.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Bogart posted:

The content is exactly like the translation.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Factor_VIII posted:

I'm pretty sure what they meant was that Lovecraft thought was writing fiction, but that his stories described things that were real. Cthulhu, Yog-Sothoth and Nyarlathotep all exist in the Nasuverse and the grimoire of Gilles de Rais is actually the R'lyeh Text.

My take was that Mythos stuff is fiction, full stop. Cthulhu, Yog-Sothoth and Nyarlathotep do not exist in normal Nasuverse. However, for mere coincidence that fiction just happens to correspond to something beyond the normal Type-Moon universe.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 6, 2019

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

yeah these beings totally don't exist at all and foreigners are just faking connections to alien gods and will never be relevant

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

my favorite fictional part of the nasuverse is the round table. they don't exist

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

YggdrasilTM posted:

My take was that Mythos stuff is fiction, full stop. Cthulhu, Yog-Sothoth and Nyarlathotep do not exist in normal Nasuverse. However, for mere coincidence that fiction just happens to correspond to something beyond the normal Type-Moon universe.

It's a little unclear. Raum claims before he starts the project that it's precisely as you say, but we don't know for sure that he's right. There are a few things, like Gilles/Prelati and Carter turning up at the end, that imply that Lovecraft's fiction either reflects some underlying reality or has attained some level of reality - there's more than enough precedent for the latter in Chaldea, after all.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

summer 3 ya and nevermind the fact that summer bb is specifically pulling from nyarlathotep

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's a confusing way to present it for sure, i def find more charm in the take where the outer god stuff isn't 1:1 with lovecraft just because. something about fiction unexpectedly hitting on the truth of the multiverse is enough for me that i don't need Name Brand to back it up.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
It's also pretty fitting in with the general theme of EoR comingling reality and fiction.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Pretty sure by what happens in Salem, that stuff retroactively becomes true in “our world.”

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Bogart posted:

Pretty sure by what happens in Salem, that stuff retroactively becomes true in “our world.”

No, it's said that Lovecraft's writings perfectly described Yog Sothoth. And Gilles had the R'lyeh Text in Fate/Zero, which is an entirely different parallel world. There's no evidence that Salem retconned the Outer Gods into existence.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I don't Yggdrasil is actually saying something contrary to what you guys are saying. His take I think is that there is something out there beyond the universe, that was called to, and it just so happens to be similar to Lovecraftian entities, and so fulfills the same role, even if it isn't explicitly what Lovecraft was writing about, which is a valid take. He's not saying it's fiction turned into reality, but that it's a different reality that just so happens to be similar to fiction.

I'm perfectly happy if we never find out in the story one way or the other.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Apparently Nezha is supposed to be speaking in a Chinese poetic meter of some kind but it doesn’t come across very well so she just end up sound Hulk. Smash.

In my head she sounds like Chaika. Which is fine. Chaika.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

I'm a bit late starting up with Salem, but I'm digging it so far, more than Shimosa at this point, maybe because I'm a fair bit more familiar with this event in real life.

I was a little amused by the utter lack of build-up for the whole True Name reveal for the Caster of Okeanos. She's introduced, and then not one fight later, she's like, "Yup, I'm totally Circe the witch from Greek mythology".

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'm not up to date on my Lovecraft Mythos. Who is the Cosmic-Traveling Gentleman, what is his actual name (he started with Chandrap... before dropping it) and is he an Elder God? I mean, Yog-Sothoth just called him uncle so it's 50/50 if she's referring to an human uncle or Elder God uncle.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Omobono posted:

I'm not up to date on my Lovecraft Mythos. Who is the Cosmic-Traveling Gentleman, what is his actual name (he started with Chandrap... before dropping it) and is he an Elder God? I mean, Yog-Sothoth just called him uncle so it's 50/50 if she's referring to an human uncle or Elder God uncle.

the name he ends up cutting off is Swami Sunand Chandraputra, an alias of Randolph Carter

i kinda assumed the conceit with him in FGO is that he's an extradimensional entity as a nod to the nature of Lovecraft mythos, and him appearing in a bunch of places

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

YggdrasilTM posted:

He went along with the story, preventing the MC from dying or disappearing for retaliation.

But I thought that was all bullshit. The whole “we need to follow the script” thing was just a lie placed in their subconscious to keep everyone in line. Carter was the only thing keeping Salem on the rails, he admitted as much at the end. If anything, breaking cover to stop the sacrifices might have forced the decisive battle before he could open the gates. At most, Sanson only had to fake his death like Mata Hari did to keep Carter placated.

E: not to mention that we did break from the story and fight back in the end. What was the point of following the script up until that point? Besides being good drama.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 7, 2019

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Oh yeah, if you're doing the sidestory play note that it still qualifies for Salem's Caster bond point bonus.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Sanson saves Lavinia from being arrested and executed after she kills Hopkins, which lets her show up in the finale to reveal Raum, which lets Queen of Sheba step in and trigger her...noble phantasm? Her characteristic where you can't lie or deceive in negotiations, which prompts the whole motive rant and drags him from puppetmaster status to actually revealing his true form and letting you kill him.

He also is the one who convinces Abby that we can carry on bearing the weight of our sins, even if god won't forgive us or if we won't forgive ourselves. That's what lets her choose to leave Salem instead of just fizzling into nonexistence at the very end.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

YggdrasilTM posted:

In TM, things that are outside of what's real are real even if they aren't real.
Or, to make marginally more sense, things can exist regardless of their status as "fact" or "fiction".

"Real" in TM is a social construct, a product of the human order. Things that exist within the framework of the human order are real. Things that don't are fictional.
Mythical beasts and heroes used to be very much real. But then the fabric of society changed and pushed out those myths, forcing them into the realm of fiction. What used to be dragon bones became dinosaur fossils.
And like Mephisto mentions at the very beginning, if there were to be a God that existed completely divorced from humanity then, by definition, it would be fictional. But it's still there.

The point of the plan to blend reality and fiction is to weaken that barrier that divides "reality" from the what lies Outside, and that way establish a conduit to bring in one of those Gods.

This is not actually the first time TM brings up things that are Outside, actually. Think of Extella.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

my knight of cups

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
100 or it's not real.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

that's the plan, but i must chase The Meta first and give Dantes his 5

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Crasical posted:

Sanson saves Lavinia from being arrested and executed after she kills Hopkins, which lets her show up in the finale to reveal Raum, which lets Queen of Sheba step in and trigger her...noble phantasm? Her characteristic where you can't lie or deceive in negotiations, which prompts the whole motive rant and drags him from puppetmaster status to actually revealing his true form and letting you kill him.

He also is the one who convinces Abby that we can carry on bearing the weight of our sins, even if god won't forgive us or if we won't forgive ourselves. That's what lets her choose to leave Salem instead of just fizzling into nonexistence at the very end.

I don’t think killing yourself is a convincing way to show you can live with your sins.

I guess my complaint is that nothing actually required his death, nor was his death part of a larger plan. He just kinda yolo’d his way into a noose, on the gallows he built.

E: gotta say that I loved the chapter overall though. Lavinia servant when?

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 7, 2019

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Right after the Sengo Muramasa rate-up.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Traveller posted:

Right after the Sengo Muramasa rate-up.

Muramasa’s gotta be the New Years servant this year.

Based on the alignment of the stars and the celestial bodies.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
We get Muramasa, but for some stupid reason it's a Shinji pseudo-servant instead.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Vengarr posted:

I don’t think killing yourself is a convincing way to show you can live with your sins.

I guess my complaint is that nothing actually required his death, nor was his death part of a larger plan. He just kinda yolo’d his way into a noose, on the gallows he built.

E: gotta say that I loved the chapter overall though. Lavinia servant when?

I believe Sanson wasn't following any big plan he just took advantage of being incarnated to be hanged for his life as an executioner, nothing required his death, he just always believed he deserved one.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Vengarr posted:

But I thought that was all bullshit. The whole “we need to follow the script” thing was just a lie placed in their subconscious to keep everyone in line. Carter was the only thing keeping Salem on the rails, he admitted as much at the end. If anything, breaking cover to stop the sacrifices might have forced the decisive battle before he could open the gates. At most, Sanson only had to fake his death like Mata Hari did to keep Carter placated.

E: not to mention that we did break from the story and fight back in the end. What was the point of following the script up until that point? Besides being good drama.

Yeah, that aspect of the story was pretty disappointing. The only reason the protagonist and his allies spent most of the story living in the village, putting up plays and watching people get executed was that they had been brainwashed by the villain to do so. That really robs the protagonist of any agency. There wasn't even a successful investigation on who was responsible and what was going on; in the end the villain pretty much turned up and said 'hey guys, I was the pillar all along' before revealing his plan. All the good guys had been the villain's puppets from the start, until for some reason he dropped the ball in the end and allowed himself to be defeated.

Also them stressing that any Servant who dies in Salem dies permanently only for the Queen of Sheba to come back, Mata Hari to survive execution thanks to magic drugs and finally Sanson to be restored with most of this memories felt really cheap.

Factor_VIII fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 7, 2019

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
For those who wanted more Journey to the West shenanigans, the secret Epilogue is for you!

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Yak of Wrath posted:

I believe Sanson wasn't following any big plan he just took advantage of being incarnated to be hanged for his life as an executioner, nothing required his death, he just always believed he deserved one.

That was kind of a dick move on his part. All his friends were in great danger and the fate of the entire world was at stake but he chose that time to act on his self-loathing by committing suicide by hangman. He just left them all high and dry.

MonsieurChoc posted:

For those who wanted more Journey to the West shenanigans, the secret Epilogue is for you!

This must have been part of the main story originally since it follows up directly from the scene where Mash is presenting a play to the children. I guess they must have realized that there were too many plays in the Salem storyline and removed it.

Factor_VIII fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 7, 2019

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

now that salem is over, i get to watch another batch of hong free quest 3ts that use paracelsus for double waveclear

really warms my heart in a world full of paracelsus hate

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

dogsicle posted:

now that salem is over, i get to watch another batch of hong free quest 3ts that use paracelsus for double waveclear

Hard to say no to that massive battery and fast NP

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

It's done. Next 5 grails are saved for Kama.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

I also finished a grail project. next up to lv. 100 is Saber Medb unless i fail to roll her for the third time

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

dogsicle posted:

Paracelsus is a good boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Paracelsus is a good boy

For someone good he does have a rather strange habit of siding with murderous psychopaths.