Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Nanigans posted:

Only 80,000 watts for two Drake fossils. :suicide:

Now the long road of resetting for Adamant/Strong Jaw.

If I get Jolly first, I'll just stick with that.

Would Jolly potentially be better, letting you outspeed more things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I suppose I should feel lucky that it only really took like 6 Dracovishes to get the right combination for me and that I only had to spend around 20k W for 2 each of Bird and Dino fossils.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nanigans posted:

Only 80,000 watts for two Drake fossils. :suicide:

Now the long road of resetting for Adamant/Strong Jaw.

If I get Jolly first, I'll just stick with that.

Dont reset just fight in the battle tower for like....30 mins to get the bp to get the nature mint.

You cant breed the fossils so you might as well just it

Feb 2, 2005
Mints rule, gang. Use mints. You'll save a ton of time, even if you have to win the BP.

e: Seriously, the amount of time you can cut out of breeding by using both the Destiny Knot AND one of the power items is completely worth it.

Quote fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 6, 2019

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

And if you just get a zen mode Darmanitan or a scarfed Dracovish you can basically sweep the battle tower forever

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My kids are SUPER into pokemon right now. I have played none Pokemons.

How is Sword/Shield for a 6 year old? He has pretty good reading comprehension and plays the card game pretty well. Is it age appropriate or is he just going to be frustrated?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It should be perfect for your kid then! These games are meant to be super accessible so it likely won’t be too difficult for them.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

if he's a pretty smart kid he will be frustrated by the lack of effort and follow-through exhibited by gamefreak and the incomplete third act of the game will probably ruin his childhood. i would recommend getting him pokemon x and y instead

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Literally the issue the older fans have with the new Pokémon games is that they’re tailor made for 6 year olds.

E: if your kid plays the card game, then they likely understand the rock-papers-scissors mechanics which is the central conceit to batting which is all they would need to know.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 6, 2019

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

canyoneer posted:

How is Sword/Shield for a 6 year old? He has pretty good reading comprehension and plays the card game pretty well. Is it age appropriate or is he just going to be frustrated?

Kids that age are pretty developmentally different from one another - things like how early they started school and what kind of learning they were doing at home matter a lot - but if you're confident in his ability to parse text and he loves Pokemon, I think he'll be just fine with it. He might find it occasionally frustrating or challenging, take much longer to beat it than an adult, and need a little help from you or a guide, but nothing about it should feel insurmountable and nothing is really inappropriate (re: violence and themes and stuff) for a child. He may not ever "beat it" or achieve 100% completion, and that's okay if (on balance) he has a great time playing and exploring.

My favorite game when I was 6 was Final Fantasy, for the NES. It took me years of playing off and on to finally finish it, and sometimes it was frustrating, but if I can soldier through that game in elementary school and love it your son who likes Pokemon is capable of enjoying a Pokemon game. Just try it.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I’ll probably just Mint my Zacian (if at all because it’s an Uber anyway), but I’d rather save my BP for items now that I have a 5 IV Ditto snd Dittos of every Nature. The fossils, legendaries and Charmander are the only things you can reset for anyway. Luckily getting the Adamant/Strong Jaw Dracovish was quick anyway.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

canyoneer posted:

Should be fine, if he can figure out the card game he's definitely going to be able to understand sword and shield.

In fact I'm pretty sure I was around that age when I started playing Pokemon.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Is Zen Mode or Gorilla Tactics Darmanitan better? I love the design of Zen Mode but Gorilla Tactics seems too brain dead not to use.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Chances are your six-year-old is a better Pokemon trainer than Hop so I'd go for it.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Dienes posted:

Would Jolly potentially be better, letting you outspeed more things?

I think based on speed tiers there’s not s significant number of threats it could outspeed with Jolly to make the drop in attack worth it. You’re mostly trying to kill switch-ins and slow walls with Dracovish.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Didn't someone say a while ago that scarfed jolly Dracovish outspeeds neutral Dragapult?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nanigans posted:

Is Zen Mode or Gorilla Tactics Darmanitan better? I love the design of Zen Mode but Gorilla Tactics seems too brain dead not to use.

Zen mode is a bit too gimmicky to be too useful. Gorilla tactics is just ridiculous.

Quote posted:

Mints rule, gang. Use mints. You'll save a ton of time, even if you have to win the BP.

e: Seriously, the amount of time you can cut out of breeding by using both the Destiny Knot AND one of the power items is completely worth it.

No, getting the correct nature is way easier than farming BP once you’ve gotten to Masterball tier in the Battle tower. Save mints for when you can’t breed for a better nature, like a unbreedable pokemon(Legendaries, fossils), a Gigantamax, a perfect IV mon, a shiny, ect.
That said you do get a ton of random mints from ranking up in Battle tower, just be frugal with your BP.

Kyrosiris posted:

Nah, that makes sense. 5 out of 6 come from the parents, so if there's not at least a 50/50 shot on all six stats, if the destiny knot picks the stat the parents don't have a 31 between them in, then you're not getting six regardless.

I’m pretty sure it’s the same chance regardless of which imperfect stat the parents have.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 6, 2019

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Super No Vacancy posted:

if he's a pretty smart kid he will be frustrated by the lack of effort and follow-through exhibited by gamefreak and the incomplete third act of the game will probably ruin his childhood. i would recommend getting him pokemon x and y instead

I cant tell if this a joke.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Framboise posted:

So. I got to breeding that Mimikyu I got using a Jolly 5-IV Stunfisk I happened to have (knew you'd come in handy!) and now I have a bunch of 5-IV Jolly Mimikyus.

Now. Many of these have Sp. Atk as the not perfect IV so it doesn't really matter, but is it possible for 2 5-IV Pokemon to hatch a perfect 6-IV one? It's totally not necessary at this point but I want it for the sake of vanity and scoffing at the stupid Max Raid encounter rates.

Ehhh, don't bother breeding for 6IVs unless you have a reason to do so. Because the 6th stat can't be inherited you only have a 1/32 for it to be perfect. Better to just start another project. That's kind of how I am with shinies too-- I'll luck into one eventually, and I'd rather have bred 12 different species than 1000 eggs of just one species. I find that aiming for something random you can't progress with just makes the process frustrating and my reaction would be "finally I am free from this hell" when I get something cool, instead of excitement.

The reasons to do it would be to either get a 6IV male to pass IVs to others in the same egg groups, or if you are building a mixed attacker and you want to maximize their defenses. Even then, for the former I would stop once I get a male with the same 5IVs as the next project in that egg group, or for the latter just use a bottle cap.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Cattail Prophet posted:

Didn't someone say a while ago that scarfed jolly Dracovish outspeeds neutral Dragapult?

It does indeed.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Cattail Prophet posted:

But why would someone run neutral Dragapult? Serious question. Isn’t its speed its best selling point?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ZeusCannon posted:

I cant tell if this a joke.

that's how you know it's good

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Fought against a 5 star Gardevoir who proceeded to one shot every AI trainer in the first round, thats cool. Guess I'll need to get something with high speed and light screen.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Genovera posted:

Ehhh, don't bother breeding for 6IVs unless you have a reason to do so. Because the 6th stat can't be inherited you only have a 1/32 for it to be perfect. Better to just start another project. That's kind of how I am with shinies too-- I'll luck into one eventually, and I'd rather have bred 12 different species than 1000 eggs of just one species. I find that aiming for something random you can't progress with just makes the process frustrating and my reaction would be "finally I am free from this hell" when I get something cool, instead of excitement.

The reasons to do it would be to either get a 6IV male to pass IVs to others in the same egg groups, or if you are building a mixed attacker and you want to maximize their defenses. Even then, for the former I would stop once I get a male with the same 5IVs as the next project in that egg group, or for the latter just use a bottle cap.

This is fair enough. I should swallow my pride for the sake of my sanity.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Leal posted:

Fought against a 5 star Gardevoir who proceeded to one shot every AI trainer in the first round, thats cool. Guess I'll need to get something with high speed and light screen.

That cleric Togekiss build sounds more and more nifty every day

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cattail Prophet posted:

I did. It's the safe option but numbers....

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Lmao dont waste time with set up in raids. A level 100 mon that's SE against your target just pushing attack will cover like 99% of all 5 star raids.

Nanigans posted:

But why would someone run neutral Dragapult? Serious question. Isn’t its speed its best selling point?

Yeah and the speed is already good enough for most poo poo with a neutral nature and you can always always always hit harder

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 6, 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

canyoneer posted:

Pokémon is a children's game so he'll be fine

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

I just got something even rarer than a shiny

https://twitter.com/stardew_when/status/1203087077031608320

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Kyrosiris posted:

Nah, that makes sense. 5 out of 6 come from the parents, so if there's not at least a 50/50 shot on all six stats, if the destiny knot picks the stat the parents don't have a 31 between them in, then you're not getting six regardless.

RatHat posted:

I’m pretty sure it’s the same chance regardless of which imperfect stat the parents have.

I think that Kyrosiris is correct. Unless I screwed this up you have twice the chance to get 6IV from different stat 5IV parents than same stat 5IV parents (1/96 vs 1/192).

5IV same dump stat only has one way to get 6IV:
1/6 chance for the correct (shared) dump stat to be the egg's dump stat, and
1/32 chance for the egg's dump stat to be perfect

= 1/192 chance

5IV different dump stats has two ways to get 6IV:
2/3 chance for the egg's dump stat to be one both parents have, and
1/32 chance for the egg's dump stat to be perfect, and
1/2 chance to inherit from the correct parent for unshared stat #1, and
1/2 chance to inherit from the correct parent for unshared stat #2
= 1/192 chance for this case
OR
1/3 chance for dump stat to be one only one parent has, and
1/32 chance for the egg's dump stat to be perfect, and
1/2 chance to inherit from the correct parent for unshared stat
= 1/192 chance for this case also

= 1/96 chance total

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Lmao dont waste time with set up in raids. A level 100 mon that's SE against your target just pushing attack will cover like 99% of all 5 star raids.

Yeah and the speed is already good enough for most poo poo with a neutral nature and you can always always always hit harder

People really shouldn't run neutral speed Dragapult, especially with Scarf Dracovish being a thing but also there really is no excuse for losing speed ties with other Dragapults.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Ultima66 posted:

People really shouldn't run neutral speed Dragapult, especially with Scarf Dracovish being a thing but also there really is no excuse for losing speed ties with other Dragapults.

If you're building your dragopult around fighting other ones you've already lost because even with jolly or timid to match their stats it's a literal coin toss between who knew shots who. Might as well plan the mon around poo poo you can actually plan around.

And scarf dracovish is a big loss of power over banded when it comes to breaking walls like toxapex and ferrothorn and most I've seen are running band or at least like adamant scarf which whiffs on dragopult.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Framboise posted:

That cleric Togekiss build sounds more and more nifty every day

The problem with Gardevoir is even Light Screen can only do so much when she's spamming Dazzling Gleam.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

BlazetheInferno posted:

The problem with Gardevoir is even Light Screen can only do so much when she's spamming Dazzling Gleam.

I honestly think I lucked out with my 5* Gardevoir raid. It was one of the few times where having Togepi on the team was a genuine boon to the team and Life Dew actually did something worthwhile.

I caught her with my Dream Ball. :kimchi: (A shame she's not OU anymore.)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Pokemon Megathread: Please don't sing Dragopult

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I probably could take out this 5* Gardevoir if the game didn't completely stop your damage when you hit shield thresholds. Going from the first shield to the second, its clear I can take half her health off a single steel spike but that first shield stops me at 90% of her health.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Livetweet update: Found an online raid for a 5* Gardevoir that both didn't immediately disconnect AND had 2 other players in it and got myself one. 4 Best stats, with very and pretty good in the remaining 2 :getin:

Its amazing what difference it makes when 3 faints don't happen in the first round

E: And I got a bottle cap out of it.

Leal fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 7, 2019

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Leal posted:

I probably could take out this 5* Gardevoir if the game didn't completely stop your damage when you hit shield thresholds. Going from the first shield to the second, its clear I can take half her health off a single steel spike but that first shield stops me at 90% of her health.

It's probably good design that you can't just shave off more than half the health of every collaborative-fight boss in one pop before other players get a chance to do something.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

How does roar/whirlwind/ect work in regards to online competitive? Because it is 3v3, where you have a team of 6 but can only use the first three you send out, right? Like, if I turn 1 whirlwind, does it pull out a Pokemon that they now have to use?

e: or am I remembering wrong and you choose which three you are using at the start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

For that Gardevoir raid, as well as the Gigantamax Snorlax raid where it'll often use Earthquake and Rock Slide, and any other raid where they spam spread moves, bring a pokemon that knows Wide Guard.