Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

echothreealpha posted:

One theory I have on why we haven't seen Squadron 42 is they are working in some sort of terrible crunch time to get it done by the end of 2020... and hitting the PS5 & next gen Xbox launch window. That's a gold rush window right there.

and I really hope it happens because boy, I have no doubt it will be one of the buggiest, terribly made launch game we would ever see.
This would be a fascinating curve-ball to this whole shitshow, but getting Squadron 42 ready enough to actually release on a console (or multiple consoles) feels like it would be above CI!G's capabilities. They have basically brute-forced Star Citizen to "work" on super high-end PCs, but even then it's a buggy, laggy, low FPS mess. Even next-gen consoles won't have the capability that the newest, high-end gaming PCs do, so trying to get Squadron 42 on console would result in a literally unplayable game.

Don't get me wrong though, "Squadron 42 on PS5 and XBox2X" would be the greatest and most entertaining shitshow we've seen in years, so now I actually want it to happen just for the massive fallout (76) that would ensue. It would be Anthem bricking consoles all over again, but even somehow worse.

E:Page snipe, so say hi to my cat Kira:

She is very relaxed and chill. And always hungry.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Quick reminder that this is so close to the gates in X:beyond, X2:The Threat, X3:Terran Conflict (Reunion/Albion Prelude), X:Rebirth and X4:Foundations that it stretches the credulity of 'un homage' and starts to become the full Archer.

Beyond the Frontier

The Threat

Terran Conflict/Albion Prelude

Rebirth

Foundations

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Strangler 42 posted:

That reminds me of a thought I had, that one day I might wake up and load up the thread and the title will have changed again. But this time it reads: Star Citizen Has Stopped Working. It will be the day when Star Citizen finally gets flushed down the toilet.

Can we officiate this?

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?

echothreealpha posted:

One theory I have on why we haven't seen Squadron 42 is they are working in some sort of terrible crunch time to get it done by the end of 2020... and hitting the PS5 & next gen Xbox launch window. That's a gold rush window right there.

dont consoles have pretty stringent certification requirements? such as the game not being a buggy mess?

i hope you are right

zebedy fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 6, 2019

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Hav posted:

Quick reminder that this is so close to the gates in X:beyond, X2:The Threat, X3:Terran Conflict (Reunion/Albion Prelude), X:Rebirth and X4:Foundations that it stretches the credulity of 'un homage' and starts to become the full Archer.

Gotta defend CIG on this one- it's one of those core sci fi concepts that has been used so many times that they all start to blur together. Not just X but also Eve, Stargate, The Expanse, and basically every other sci-fi property that needs quick interstellar travel with some kind of bottleneck, has tapped the ol' gate mechanic.

I've tried to trace it back to some originator and the closest I can come is possibly John Haldeman's 1974 classic The Forever War which was written as a direct response to Starship Troopers and influenced a lot of scifi thought and writing around the time. The earliest I could find in the games industry was Space Rogue in 89, an Origin product and spiritual predecessor to Wing Commander which as we know was pretty heavily influenced by the Man-Kzin War series, first published in 88 and heavily featuring the use of jump gates. So it may be that this one was a Chris Roberts original in the gaming space after all.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

Gotta defend CIG on this one- it's one of those core sci fi concepts that has been used so many times that they all start to blur together. Not just X but also Eve, Stargate, The Expanse, and basically every other sci-fi property that needs quick interstellar travel with some kind of bottleneck, has tapped the ol' gate mechanic.

X:Beyond was 1999; Freelancer was 2003. The thing I'm pointing out is the big glowy ring with the outriggers is something that goes back 20 years, or just under a third of Star Citizen's development time.

Sarsapariller posted:

I've tried to trace it back to some originator and the closest I can come is possibly John Haldeman's 1974 classic The Forever War which was written as a direct response to Starship Troopers and influenced a lot of scifi thought and writing around the time.

No complaints there. How did he describe them?

As for the concept that Paul Neurath might owe something to Chris Roberts' influence, that might be true, but Space Rogue used 'wormholes' and pre-dated Wing Commander.

If you want to trace the geneology there, I can point you all the way back to Codename Matt.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

echothreealpha posted:

and I really hope it happens because boy, I have no doubt it will be one of the buggiest, terribly made launch game we would ever see.

console players will savage Squadron 42's over cruddiness worse than any other broken release that requires a 50gb day one download to patch. Going to a wide market is dangerous because it means more eyes on the project. I still maintain that SQ42 will never be in a state to release because it was always crap and will always be crap and they figured it out year ago. Releasing it will kill the Star Citizen and the company. It is better to keep pushing the release date back while hiding behind the excuse that it needs more polish and isn't up to Chris's standards. While also pulling in more money. The whales that are trapped at this point can't turn back so they'll keep pledging no matter how far back the dates get pushed. Pay yourself with their money until the bills stack too high to pay and then blame outside forces for destroying the game.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hav posted:

To be fair, the probably don't want any of the plot leaking before release.

Those....<struggles for breath>...day one sales....Nah, I can't do it.

I personally can not wait to play as the camera for the Pusher story. With cameos by Mark Hamill here and there and other lowbrow actors like Gillian Anderson, etc.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Strangler 42 posted:

console players will savage Squadron 42's over cruddiness worse than any other broken release that requires a 50gb day one download to patch. Going to a wide market is dangerous because it means more eyes on the project. I still maintain that SQ42 will never be in a state to release because it was always crap and will always be crap and they figured it out year ago. Releasing it will kill the Star Citizen and the company. It is better to keep pushing the release date back while hiding behind the excuse that it needs more polish and isn't up to Chris's standards. While also pulling in more money. The whales that are trapped at this point can't turn back so they'll keep pledging no matter how far back the dates get pushed. Pay yourself with their money until the bills stack too high to pay and then blame outside forces for destroying the game.

Gonna say it now, I'll be surprised as all hell if they even make an attempt, given the sheer wall of complaint that will greet the saviour of PC Gaming appearing to give the consoles 'first taste' of the thing they paid for.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Warframe is online streaming real Railjack gameplay while explaining in detail every bit of gameplay.
https://www.twitch.tv/warframe/

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

The earliest I could find in the games industry was Space Rogue in 89, an Origin product and spiritual predecessor to Wing Commander which as we know was pretty heavily influenced by the Man-Kzin War series, first published in 88 and heavily featuring the use of jump gates.

LOL, turns out that it's on Steam; https://store.steampowered.com/app/569200/Space_Rogue_Classic/

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
the last tweet from swafford about star citizen was June 11th 2018

Guess those checks stopped coming in

Guess what he's hyping now

https://mobile.twitter.com/DavidSwofford/status/1186685474108301314

Lol

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Check out that wormhole at :47 in the video. Space colonoscopies are real and ancient

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Hav posted:

No complaints there. How did he describe them?

Fairly different except in the sense of being points in space that linked two systems

Haldeman posted:

Most of us didn’t feel too enthusiastic about making a collapsar jump, either. We’d been assured that we wouldn’t even feel it happen, just free fall all the way. I wasn’t convinced. As a physics student, I’d had the usual courses in general relativity and theories of gravitation. We only had a little direct data at that time — Stargate was discovered when I was in grade school — but the mathematical model seemed clear enough. The collapsar Stargate was a perfect sphere about three kilometers in radius. It was suspended forever in a state of gravitational collapse that should have meant its surface was dropping toward its center at nearly the speed of light. Relativity propped it up, at least gave it the illusion of being there … the way all reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted. At any rate, there would be a theoretical point in space-time when one end of our ship was just above the surface of the collapsar, and the other end was a kilometer away (in our frame of reference). In any sane universe, this would set up tidal stresses and tear the ship apart, and we would be just another million kilograms of degenerate matter on the theoretical surface, rushing headlong to nowhere for the rest of eternity or dropping to the center in the next trillionth of a second. You pays your money and you takes your frame of reference. But they were right. We blasted away from Stargate 1, made a few course corrections and then just dropped, for about an hour.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

Lol
A reminder that June 11th 2018 was right before star citizen got almost $50m for marketing (and just a month later crobbo bought a nearly $5m mansion in the pallisades) and they seemed to have purged their PR guy who worked with them since 2013

makes sense

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

Check out that wormhole at :47 in the video. Space colonoscopies are real and ancient

Yeah, is nothing sacred? :)

TheAgent posted:

Rex starts streaming SC Nov 24th 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy0YIsgj5R8

Guess they shifted the marketing budget.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Inacio posted:

you guys are nuts. how the heck do you think star citizen isn't the best looking game of all time

Hiding in the shadows.

Lust is on his mind.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Btw every loving time and elevator kills you, thanks this guy

https://mobile.twitter.com/obj_calavera/status/862373564024070144

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019

Strangler 42 posted:

Maybe, but we know Chris Roberts really wants to make films, has hired some pretty well known actors/actresses and also promised the Calders something for the 46 million.

We know it's a bad idea, because how much of the 350m of crowdfunded + investor money has already been wasted on the product? It could also be why the beta is delayed until the third quarter of 2020; just in time to release the beta on PC, get the necessary comments and major bug fixes, and rush it through the door just in time for next gen games launch.

That's such a shitshow waiting to happen that I cant help but hope it will be the case.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
console release is the only way they survive now. $40m/yr is nothing and 600 employees will eat through that so goddamn fast

Crobbo needs a massive hit, something like 2m *new* copies sold to start breaking even

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Hav posted:

TBH jump gates in scifi are so standard it's probably just a lack of imagination.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
my current company brings in about $32m/yr with about a staff of 250 and we are barely making a profit

and not everyone here has to be tech savvy, there's a ton of interns and people getting paid $15 an hour

So that $40m that citizens are clamoring over? It's loving really low for a project of this scope

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Fly through of the new city: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7ov1es

Pros:
* Buildings look nice

* Snow on the rooftops is a nice touch

* Little clusters of buildings and bridges look neat to fly over without thinking too hard about

Cons:
* Geographically the city makes no sense. Why is it located there? What is it accomplishing that justifies putting it in the arctic rather than in the (apparently) temperate zones on the planet. Does literally everyone in the future live in densely packed high-rises in the middle of otherwise uninhabited landscapes? I salute their ecological sensibilities but where are the loving farms and suburbs? The world doesn't just go nothing, nothing, nothing, CITY, nothing, nothing. Star Citizen is a game of, apparently, giant space stations and cities and no other signs of human habitation anywhere.

* Architecturally the city makes no sense. Why do they need towering bridges over ice-lakes that are frozen year round? Why do they need docks and port buildings? What the gently caress?

* Speaking of- remember that "Revolutionary road tech" they advertised, like, a year ago? Guess it didn't go anywhere because the cities are clearly not being built with roads in mind. There's no way that anyone is going to add driveable paths to this mess without rebuilding it from scratch.

* The entire thing is completely lifeless, no traffic, no NPC's, no lights- it looks like the player is noclipping through a static model because that's literally what is happening.

* The design is once again not built for ground gameplay in any way. Look at the buildings. There are no roads between them. No two are at the same elevation. Bridges jut from nowhere and end up nowhere. The whole thing is clearly built to be a backdrop as you fly in and out of the spaceport, the one part of the planet that will have any on-foot elements. This is stupid. You have a whole goddamn planet of empty space and one point of interest, and it's the one place you can't actually walk around.

* Critically though, they forgot to build a bunch of big walls around the city this time. At Loreville you couldn't get into the city without going through a bunch of little doorways on foot. This one sure looks like an enterprising player could land on the edge of the no-fly zone, get out, and walk right into the clearly-not-designed-for-them city. That's gonna lead to some embarrassing videos within a week of release, or a no-walk-zone, further damaging immersion.

* Fixing any of these cons just screams "Enormous tech debt."

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

"New Babbage"???

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Sarsapariller posted:

Fly through of the new city: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7ov1es

Pros:
* Buildings look nice

* Snow on the rooftops is a nice touch

* Little clusters of buildings and bridges look neat to fly over without thinking too hard about

Cons:
* Geographically the city makes no sense. Why is it located there? What is it accomplishing that justifies putting it in the arctic rather than in the (apparently) temperate zones on the planet. Does literally everyone in the future live in densely packed high-rises in the middle of otherwise uninhabited landscapes? I salute their ecological sensibilities but where are the loving farms and suburbs? The world doesn't just go nothing, nothing, nothing, CITY, nothing, nothing. Star Citizen is a game of, apparently, giant space stations and cities and no other signs of human habitation anywhere.

* Architecturally the city makes no sense. Why do they need towering bridges over ice-lakes that are frozen year round? Why do they need docks and port buildings? What the gently caress?

* Speaking of- remember that "Revolutionary road tech" they advertised, like, a year ago? Guess it didn't go anywhere because the cities are clearly not being built with roads in mind. There's no way that anyone is going to add driveable paths to this mess without rebuilding it from scratch.

* The entire thing is completely lifeless, no traffic, no NPC's, no lights- it looks like the player is noclipping through a static model because that's literally what is happening.

* The design is once again not built for ground gameplay in any way. Look at the buildings. There are no roads between them. No two are at the same elevation. Bridges jut from nowhere and end up nowhere. The whole thing is clearly built to be a backdrop as you fly in and out of the spaceport, the one part of the planet that will have any on-foot elements. This is stupid. You have a whole goddamn planet of empty space and one point of interest, and it's the one place you can't actually walk around.

* Critically though, they forgot to build a bunch of big walls around the city this time. At Loreville you couldn't get into the city without going through a bunch of little doorways on foot. This one sure looks like an enterprising player could land on the edge of the no-fly zone, get out, and walk right into the clearly-not-designed-for-them city. That's gonna lead to some embarrassing videos within a week of release, or a no-walk-zone, further damaging immersion.

* Fixing any of these cons just screams "Enormous tech debt."

Don't worry, this is just the tier 0 version and it's still early days.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Rotten Red Rod posted:

"New Babbage"???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JATjMZJuX1c

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I mean, I know it's referring to Charles Babbage, but it's just such a bad-sounding name for what is supposedly a cyberpunk city.

Also, ew, gently caress Nick Robinson.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

TheAgent posted:

Lol

https://youtu.be/ZTZUmnLZVhU?t=33907 confirmed by relay

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/517491130?t=01h49m15s
:ohdear:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
lol

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

So close. And yet they keep finding a suitable rationalization to shake the realization off.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
this was the guy who used to get wonderful fluff pieces everywhere, including the gamestar "WE ARE loving AMAZING DEVELOPERS, WE NEED MONEY, OH GOD PLEASE DON'T CRITICISM US IT HURTS OUR FEELS" puff piece and the wonderful pixellemonade articles

guess they went and paid $500k to red bull instead lol

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

echothreealpha posted:

I guess it wouldn't pass the console certifications.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hav posted:

As for the concept that Paul Neurath might owe something to Chris Roberts' influence, that might be true, but Space Rogue used 'wormholes' and pre-dated Wing Commander.

At least he made salad dressing.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Zzr posted:

I guess it wouldn't pass the console certifications.

I don't see how they possibly can. Even now they're still touting that the game runs like poo poo because it's got such incredibly fidelity, instead of the reality which is that it requires a top-end PC so it can brute-force the code's crippling inefficiencies. They couldn't optimize poo poo like this for a console if their lives depended on it.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

MedicineHut posted:

So close. And yet they keep finding a suitable rationalization to shake the realization off.

No, those are pretty much the musings of a guy who's realized what's up but is literally too invested (full time Star Citizen streamer) to go full FailureToReport.
He's basically the guy working in a car-break factory who sees his company cut corners on the manufacturing process, has a conscience, but also debt and no better job prospects, so he sucks it up.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

So, on the topic of neural nets: AI Dungeon 2 is finally ready and it is loving incredible. I used it to have the world's most fidelitous Star Citizen adventure earlier. Note- I entered the commands in the carets. All the descriptive text came from the neural net. It got it just about right though.

Adventure Begins:

You are a wing commander in the galactic imperial republic. You are hunting bounties
in the local pirate bar. A group of shady men enter the room and walk up to
you. The man in the lead says, "We have been hired by one of your clients".

> Shoot him and claim his bounty

"Who is this?" you ask.

The man smiles, "This is my client". He points at you,

> Nod in understanding

"Very good", he says, "I will be back with the payment soon". He walks out of
the room.

A few minutes later, you return to find that he has returned with a large sum
of money. He hands it to you and smiles

> Buy a spaceship

You take the money and walk outside. You see an old man sitting on a bench, smoking
a cigarette. He looks like he's been crying for awhile now.

> Ask if he has any spaceships

He nods, "Yes I do! My son has one!"
You nod, "What kind of ship is it?"
He pauses,

> Clip through the floor

He nods, "It's a small craft, but it can travel great distances, it was given
to me by my friend".

> Offer to buy it

He smiles, "Well, you could have it".

> Take the ship

He nods, "Thank you sir!". He begins walking away.

> Get in the ship

You sit down in the chair and look around. The interior of the ship is very simple,
just a bed, some chairs and a computer screen. A door opens up into another
room. On the wall there are several pictures of various ships, from different
eras

> Enter waypoint for Hurston

You walk over to the door and open it. Inside you see a woman wearing a space
suit. She stares at you, as she slowly turns her head to stare at your face.
She sits down next to you and puts her hand on your shoulder

> Live out wild space fantasies

"Hello, I'm Samantha Hurston. I've come here to meet my father".

> Have mind blown by this revelation

"My father? Oh yes, he's a famous explorer who lived many years ago. He was a
member of the Federation, which was a group that tried to unite all the planets
in the galaxy under one government".

> Shoot her and claim her bounty

She shakes her head,

> shoot her shoot her shoot her

You fire your pistol at her, but miss. Her body falls backwards onto the ground.
You quickly run over to her and begin kicking her corpse.

> Shout "The inevitable consequences of piracy!"

You turn around and start shooting at the other pirates. They fall dead one after
another. You then hear the sound of a helicopter approaching. You quickly climb
up the ladder and jump off the side of the ship. You land near the helicopter,
where you're met by two men in suits

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Latest Devstream is about Empyrean and a look at previous updates and a look at future updates for Warframe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_SbsSoIuIg

Major changes include a major overhaul of all systems. Energy management is gone now, you instead use materials for resource management, which you can collect and use from blown up aircraft and asteroids. So if you blow up a bunch of fighters you can collect mats and then instantly use those to build missiles and energy and stuff. Your ship also has its own powers and "mana" pool which can be powered by materials.

Jumping to and from enemy ships is really smooth, new minigames for ship repair are in the dev build.
Co-op is required but you can jump onto public player ships. So if you don't have one, you can be part of anyone else's crew so long as you got an Archwing (a thing you get relatively early in the game)

Avionics have replaced modules and are basically installed like Warframe mods. There are some which are always on, others use the aforementioned "mana" and so on.

There is an account-bound skill system which governs piloting, engineering and so on.

For anyone who is going to join in, this will likely drop January-February and will likely be kinda buggy and unstable so fair warning. Currently development is ongoing for NPC crew members, including the converted kuva liches and major balancing.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Scruffpuff posted:

What concerns me is that they split "playable" and "narrative" into two separate things. It's not horribly surprising since Chris doesn't know what a game is, vs what a movie is, but it's still concerning. Does that mean the game toggles between playable areas and in-engine cutscenes, like the worst games ever made, or does it seamlessly have the world and narrative occurring around you without taking away player agency, like Half-Life 2 did? The second thing is more immersive, and as we know, Chris says the word "immersion" like he has a vocal tic but his actual products are the least immersive pieces of poo poo in gaming history - anti-immersive, if anything. Which means the first answer is the correct one.

Which means even their cutscenes aren't done yet, because of course they're not. So my keen guess is that CIG is permanently stuck in "whitebox narrative" development while Chris Roberts stammers, drools, and waves his hands pretending to be a movie director in front of some unfortunate prick covered in ping-pong balls, deleting function arguments and turning to the camera, then spitting on a cake and designing the fourth iteration of a leather jacket; in the meantime, the rest of the team types up "lore" while waiting to do something - anything - gameplay related, once someone tells them what kind of game they're supposed to be making.

moved to concern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
So which planet is BadBitch on?