Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Last Chance posted:

Can you try installing Mac OS to an external drive and run the bootcamp installer from the external drive? Or I think you can just bypass using Bootcamp altogether if you’ve decoupled the fusion drive already

https://fgimian.github.io/blog/2016/03/12/installing-windows-10-on-a-mac-without-bootcamp
:tipshat:

So that didn't solve my problem directly, but some comments in a linked thread mentioned to disconnect every external USB device before trying to install Windows or the installed get confused. So THAT did the trick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Also reminds me of what a giant PITA dealing with Windows is lol.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

nice! glad it ended up being helpful/in the ballpark at least. I had Bootcamp set up on that same Mac (2013 was it?) and it worked okay. I had the drat Windows partition on the 5400rpm HDD however and that was true hell. I had some Steam games installed on a USB3 SSD, so it was fine after it took ten minutes to boot.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Last Chance posted:

nice! glad it ended up being helpful/in the ballpark at least. I had Bootcamp set up on that same Mac (2013 was it?) and it worked okay. I had the drat Windows partition on the 5400rpm HDD however and that was true hell. I had some Steam games installed on a USB3 SSD, so it was fine after it took ten minutes to boot.

I may give those directions a go myself. Everything was OK running Catalina without a Bootcamp partition until I looked at my Steam games list full of 32-bit games. Trip report when I get around to it I guess.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Best bet to moving stuff around is get a copy of Winclone. Once I figured out the installer issue, it was a piece of cake moving it to the SSD using a Winclone image.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

Best bet to moving stuff around is get a copy of Winclone. Once I figured out the installer issue, it was a piece of cake moving it to the SSD using a Winclone image.

Interesting. If nothing else, I could get Windows set up on another computer then make an image of that.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Wait so... in Music.app, the "heart" icon that's hidden on the left of a song's row and "love" are two different things? Tapping the heart doesn't mark a track as "loved". I've been spending the past few weeks using the hidden icon in an attempt to curate more specific music in Apple Music and now I don't know if it's even doing anything.

Edit: nevermind, they seem to be the same function, the GUI just doesn't update without a refresh.

enojy fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 26, 2019

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Cool Apple store screensaver available here if anyone doesn't have it

https://github.com/pedrommcarrasco/Brooklyn

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bob Morales posted:

Cool, why not! I saw this being used on the demo units at Best Buy, too, and it actually caught my attention in a way that screensavers shouldn't in 2019.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Ok that’s pretty drat cool.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

ty

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

In a similar vein, I will recommend Aerial, which lets you use the Apple TV screensavers on your Mac

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Are there any significant non-Apple Arcade roguelikes on the App Store other than Darkest Dungeon and Bad North?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

terre packet posted:

Are there any significant non-Apple Arcade roguelikes on the App Store other than Darkest Dungeon and Bad North?

Not on the App Store, but the best roguelike ever, Binding of Isaac, has a macOS port. For a laugh, type "binding of isaac macos" into DuckDuckGo.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
*edit: nevermind I figured it out

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
is it safe to update my 2017 MBP to Catalina now? How bad will I hate the loss of iTunes and my hard drive full of music?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The new Music app just uses/updates the existing iTunes library file and keeps playing existing files I believe.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Yeah my massive iTunes library moved over just fine.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
iTunes still lives. It's just been split into 3 apps that behave pretty much the same.

I really really miss the previous albums view though.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Phoenixan posted:

iTunes still lives. It's just been split into 3 apps that behave pretty much the same.

I really really miss the previous albums view though.

The Books app is garbage, though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Where do audiobooks live now? Audiobooks in iTunes is a big deal to me. :ohdear:

Gunder
May 22, 2003

tuyop posted:

Where do audiobooks live now? Audiobooks in iTunes is a big deal to me. :ohdear:

On iOS I think they moved to the Books app? Is that also the case for macOS?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Keyser_Soze posted:

is it safe to update my 2017 MBP to Catalina now? How bad will I hate the loss of iTunes and my hard drive full of music?

I was the most vocal hater of iTunes->Music in this thread. However after a few iOS and macOS updates, I've finally stopped having problems with syncing.

I still have a few duplicates of one of my Playlist Folders on my phone that aren't in macOS Music though. I guess I'm just ignoring them forever.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Speaking of which, does anyone know what 10.15.2 is supposed to fix? I still haven't updated my 2018 MBP. It's a work computer, and while none of my core software will be unusable (as far as I know), I am the exact opposite of an early adopter for stuff like this, simply because I can't afford downtime.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

IUG posted:

I was the most vocal hater of iTunes->Music in this thread. However after a few iOS and macOS updates, I've finally stopped having problems with syncing.

I still have a few duplicates of one of my Playlist Folders on my phone that aren't in macOS Music though. I guess I'm just ignoring them forever.

Yeah, iTunes has been annoying a long time and I won't miss it, even on MacOS. I had better results not allowing it to manage anything and keeping my music folder separate by itself. It was still a constant fight with it clearing up everything it wanted to shove into Compilations and especially things like Classical Music, which I have a lot of. Still had weird duplicates in the iTunes view popping up occasionally.

Catalina upgrade had no issues at all and only had a few apps needing replacement like the Harmony Remote and Brother Printer apps. Music is fine as well and Music view dupes have disappeared.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I've never had problems with it managing my library, and I have been doing that forever. I did have a problem when they renamed the ~/Music/ folder to .... ~/Music/Music/ I think (god the name "Music" is so dumb). I didn't have the hard drive space for it to consolidate it. However, at some point MacOS started tracking files even if you moved them. So I just moved over my old folders in the Media Library folder into the new place, and it never caused a problem, so that's cool.

My only problem with iOS/Catalina has been the syncing of my music. No one else would care, but I'm pretty OCD about my music library.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Lincoln posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone know what 10.15.2 is supposed to fix? I still haven't updated my 2018 MBP. It's a work computer, and while none of my core software will be unusable (as far as I know), I am the exact opposite of an early adopter for stuff like this, simply because I can't afford downtime.

For me, at work, the biggest pain in the rear end has been all of the security changes. Having to update that in order to present a screen during a WebEx/Zoom/Google Hangout etc etc

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Keyser_Soze posted:

Yeah, iTunes has been annoying a long time and I won't miss it, even on MacOS. I had better results not allowing it to manage anything and keeping my music folder separate by itself. It was still a constant fight with it clearing up everything it wanted to shove into Compilations and especially things like Classical Music, which I have a lot of. Still had weird duplicates in the iTunes view popping up occasionally.

Catalina upgrade had no issues at all and only had a few apps needing replacement like the Harmony Remote and Brother Printer apps. Music is fine as well and Music view dupes have disappeared.

iTunes/Music is like the personification of Me, Turning Into A Dad. I used to absolutely loathe iTunes' proprietary method of organizing & syncing files to iPods and iPhones, to the point it being the sole reason for going to Android for a couple of years. I was militant about organizing my own music for the longest time, until one day I just gave up the ghost and let iTunes take over. I think it was the gradual shift from me largely ripping & encoding my own physical music, to CD-ROM drives disappearing from my life, and Apple Music (and Spotify) becoming quite good. I even use Music.app as my primary desktop music player nowadays -- never in a million years did I think I'd see the day.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

As someone else who was formerly extremely obsessive about maintaining my MP3 library, switching to Spotify and being unable to edit metadata is weirdly liberating. Blurry album art? Misspelled track title? Not my problem!

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

tuyop posted:

As noted, audiobooks are now in the Books app. I have approximately 3700 audiobook files in iTunes, so it was a pretty big deal to me when I found that Books

• Does not use iTunes’ sort tag, so all of my books were sorted by author’s first name
• Offers no way to edit metadata
• Buries all of the audio files in ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books
• Won’t play through more than one set of speakers at the same time (I like to sometimes have audiobooks playing through my Mac speakers and through the Airplay speakers in my bedroom)

This last one is such an iOS-like behavior, that I feel like the Books app is just a Catalyst port of the iOS iBooks app.

I wouldn’t necessarily say that Catalina’s handling of audiobooks was the deciding factor when I went back to Mojave, but it was a pretty big one.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

SaintFu posted:

As noted, audiobooks are now in the Books app. I have approximately 3700 audiobook files in iTunes, so it was a pretty big deal to me when I found that Books

• Does not use iTunes’ sort tag, so all of my books were sorted by author’s first name
• Offers no way to edit metadata
• Buries all of the audio files in ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books
• Won’t play through more than one set of speakers at the same time (I like to sometimes have audiobooks playing through my Mac speakers and through the Airplay speakers in my bedroom)

This last one is such an iOS-like behavior, that I feel like the Books app is just a Catalyst port of the iOS iBooks app.

I wouldn’t necessarily say that Catalina’s handling of audiobooks was the deciding factor when I went back to Mojave, but it was a pretty big one.

Oh drat! Could you symlink to the library on an NAS or what?

That metadata and sorting poo poo is going to really bother me too. I hope they fix it before I have to update.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

tuyop posted:

Oh drat! Could you symlink to the library on an NAS or what?

Apparently not.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sigh. Remind me tomorrow it is!

I thought of just maybe migrating the books over to Calibre, since that’s where my ebooks live. But a quick google shows that’s a real pain as well. gently caress!

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

My mother is getting a mac for christmas, and her sight is not so good. On her current macbook, we just switched to a lower resolution so everything's bigger. Does Catalina maybe have some UI scale function? That would be sweet.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

mike12345 posted:

My mother is getting a mac for christmas, and her sight is not so good. On her current macbook, we just switched to a lower resolution so everything's bigger. Does Catalina maybe have some UI scale function? That would be sweet.

Yes you’ve been able to scale UI elements independent of output resolution for a very long time now. I couldn’t even hazard a guess when the change was. Over 5 years now at least - when Retina displays launched I think.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Pivo posted:

Yes you’ve been able to scale UI elements independent of output resolution for a very long time now. I couldn’t even hazard a guess when the change was. Over 5 years now at least - when Retina displays launched I think.

Oh ok really? Do websites scale automatically with this as well?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

mike12345 posted:

Oh ok really? Do websites scale automatically with this as well?

It looks exactly like changing the resolution, so yes.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Pivo posted:

It looks exactly like changing the resolution, so yes.

Well holy crap. And that's been live for 5 years? Guess I could change that now, but then again maybe just make the surprise bigger.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

mike12345 posted:

For supported displays (including internal), "Scaled" still outputs at maximum native resolution but with larger/smaller everything on screen.

Also, don't forget all the settings under Accessibility, including gestures to zoom the entire screen in and out, colorblindness settings, cursor size scaling, etc.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Dec 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Roadie posted:

For supported displays (including internal), "Scaled" still outputs at maximum native resolution but with larger/smaller everything on screen.

Also, don't forget all the settings under Accessibility, including gestures to zoom the entire screen in and out, colorblindness settings, cursor size scaling, etc.

Yeah, that's good to know. I think the reason I never found that setting is because her macbook is from 2009, pre-retina.