Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Who What Now posted:

DnD is cool and good

It's almost 2020 there are so many other (arguably better :can: ) systems but everyone is like "Let's make a DnD podcast!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's simple and lots of folks either have some familiarity or are willing to learn it based on name recognition, and it's perfectly serviceable for fun casual gaming with friends.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Riatsala posted:

I finished It Hurts across a single day and I have no regrets. Tons of narrative curve balls, very funny, with some actually emotionally effecting themes of friendship, family, and love. A++++ would read again in a couple years.

Now you can read Please Forgive Me!!! which is set after the events of It Hurts and follows the reboot universe with Aurora/Pasqualo.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Len posted:

It's almost 2020 there are so many other (arguably better :can: ) systems but everyone is like "Let's make a DnD podcast!"

Nothing else has even 10% the cultural cachet. Even the other stuff thats been around about as long have nowhere near the overall penetration.

Grandmas have heard of DnD, even if its only from Sheldon on BBT. Even most nerds probably arent familiar with L5R or dungeon world or HERO system.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Nothing else has even 10% the cultural cachet. Even the other stuff thats been around about as long have nowhere near the overall penetration.

Grandmas have heard of DnD, even if its only from Sheldon on BBT. Even most nerds probably arent familiar with L5R or dungeon world or HERO system.

Shut up, one day I will find someone else who actually played Wraith: The Oblivion!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Don Gato posted:

Shut up, one day I will find someone else who actually played Wraith: The Oblivion!

I have read the Lore on the WW wiki!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Don Gato posted:

A subpar choice. The correct answer was Promethean: The Created.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

One More Fat Nerd posted:

There was also a big 'satanic panic' backlash against D&D back in the day which just crammed it deeper in the cultural zeitgeist. We even got this amazing Jack Chick tract about it:

https://imgur.com/gallery/e66Sx

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Who What Now posted:

A subpar choice. The correct answer was WWE: Know Your Role

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Who What Now posted:

A subpar choice. The correct answer was Promethean: The Created.

I don't know enough about that but the Wraith lore was pretty great for the company that brought us moody vampires: the moodening

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Milo and POTUS posted:

I don't know enough about that but the Wraith lore was pretty great for the company that brought us moody vampires: the moodening

I remember going to goth clubs back in the day where the poor harried bouncers had to kick out a bunch of Vampire: The Masquerade LARPers who'd decided to run sessions at the club without asking permission and were being complete dicks to everyone else and trying to kick people out of certain parts of the club where they were trying to run their LARP encounters :v: :v:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's simple and lots of folks either have some familiarity or are willing to learn it based on name recognition, and it's perfectly serviceable for fun casual gaming with friends.

D&D is actually pretty clunky and overcomplicated as RPGs go, especially since recent design trends have been a heavy move to simplicity. There's a fair few systems specifically designed to wean people off D&D.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
You roll a d20, add a number, and compare it to a target number. It's not that clunky.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ghost Leviathan posted:

D&D is actually pretty clunky and overcomplicated as RPGs go, especially since recent design trends have been a heavy move to simplicity. There's a fair few systems specifically designed to wean people off D&D.

5th ed. is pretty streamlined. More importantly, Wizards has a lot of money to throw at promotion.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yep, 5e at least *can be* nice and streamlined depending on how your group and DM act, and most of the groups in question are very much at the story and character end of the spectrum more than the hardcore type of players.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Who What Now posted:

You roll a d20, add a number, and compare it to a target number. It's not that clunky.

PbtA is significantly easier, plays how I've always felt D&D should play, and I would think carries to an audio format significantly easier since it's doesn't have strict turn order or a strong wish to be a miniature game.

It also is fail forward so even if you spend the two hour combat missing with your sword you're at least getting xp out of it

Plus how many other games have "roll to cheat death" as a mechanic?

For content, does anyone remember a webcomic set in a hospital? It was a comedy strip and there was a page where a guy was full of owls. I remember it being funny but this would have been 10-11 years ago

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Len posted:

For content, does anyone remember a webcomic set in a hospital? It was a comedy strip and there was a page where a guy was full of owls. I remember it being funny but this would have been 10-11 years ago

I can think of a terrible comic set in a hospital and a terrible comic with a terrible owl in it, but neither are funny.

Fake edit: I think I'm the owl

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Lucid TV?

Edit: http://lucid-tv.com/032.html

Edit 2: apparently ther original webcomic had around 200 strips set in the Jim Belushi Memorial Hospital but the creator scrubbed them all and started over with random strips and never archived the originals, so they're super hard to find. Here's a livejournal collection, all translated into Russian, but the photobucket links are all broken: https://ru-lucidtv.livejournal.com/

Edit 3: once my brain remembered the Internet Wayback Machine is a thing that exists it was super easy to find the old strips: https://web.archive.org/web/20070801000000*/http://lucid-tv.com/

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 07:58 on Dec 7, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Who What Now posted:

GURPS is cool and good

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Don Gato posted:

*nervously raises hand*

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

NERDS!

e: Also the answer no-one asked me for is: Runequest

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 14:12 on Dec 7, 2019

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Dungeons: The Dragoning: 40,000: 7th Edition is by far the best TTRPG out there, you plebians :colbert:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommissarMega posted:

Dungeons: The Dragoning: 40,000: 7th Edition is by far the best TTRPG out there, you plebians :colbert:

looks like somebody hasn't played Cute and Fuzzy Cockfighting Seizure Monsters

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Len posted:

Plus how many other games have "roll to cheat death" as a mechanic?

D&D 5e

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm the only person who ever heard of the 90s RPG called Feng Shui where you roleplay as characters in an action movie but it was good.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
That's a lie, because I know about it too.

It was also about time-travelling sorcerers and a bad cyborg future.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I read all the materials for 7th Sea and ran a campaign many years ago. Jesus Christ what a colossal waste of time.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

vyelkin posted:

I'm the only person who ever heard of the 90s RPG called Feng Shui where you roleplay as characters in an action movie but it was good.

Apparently it still lives
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/148541/Feng-Shui-Second-Edition-digital

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

vyelkin posted:

No. I actually played it. The game is magnificent. It's meant to be quickly played and actively encourages playing it like it's a cheesy, stupid martial arts movie.

Like hey my cyborg ninja from the future just killed an evil eunuch sorcerer from the 80's (no, not 1980's, just plain 80's) with a bowl of rice that he didn't stop eating from the entire time. Totally normal thing to happen in the game.

Shy and Shameless
Jul 15, 2015

Raised by birbs
Y'all be forgetting about Paranoia and Friend Computer, and that's treason of the highest order.

...and if you're looking for one-shots with no GM, hard to go wrong with Fiasco: picture a Cohen Bros or David Lynch movie as an RPG.

On 7th Sea, they had a Kickstarter that did really well a few years ago; updated rules, fresh artwork, etc.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

No. I actually played it. The game is magnificent. It's meant to be quickly played and actively encourages playing it like it's a cheesy, stupid martial arts movie.

Like hey my cyborg ninja from the future just killed an evil eunuch sorcerer from the 80's (no, not 1980's, just plain 80's) with a bowl of rice that he didn't stop eating from the entire time. Totally normal thing to happen in the game.

It was legit good and I'm sad it never really caught on.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Valherjar owned but nobody's heard of it

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Aggro posted:

I read all the materials for 7th Sea and ran a campaign many years ago. Jesus Christ what a colossal waste of time.

I played a game of that at a con earlier this year, it was fun.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Since nerds have hi-jacked this thread, check out the dice thread in Ask/Tell :hmbol:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Get this: what if this children's game is actually super dark and hosed up?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Doesn't seem like a what if to me, it's right there in the game text

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

krinklechip posted:

Y'all be forgetting about Paranoia and Friend Computer, and that's treason of the highest order.

...and if you're looking for one-shots with no GM, hard to go wrong with Fiasco: picture a Cohen Bros or David Lynch movie as an RPG.

On 7th Sea, they had a Kickstarter that did really well a few years ago; updated rules, fresh artwork, etc.

There's a paranoia crpg that just launched yesterday on epic Games store if anyone wants to experience that old school friend computer atmosphere.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Scaramouche posted:

There's a paranoia crpg that just launched yesterday on epic Games store if anyone wants to experience that old school friend computer atmosphere.

Make sure to have fun, not having fun is treason.

Treason is punishable by death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Does it have something like this?

quote:

Last Breath

When you’re dying you catch a glimpse of what lies beyond the Black Gates of Death’s Kingdom (the GM will describe it).  Then roll (just roll, +nothing – year, Death doesn’t care how tough or cool you are).

*On a 10+, you’ve cheated Death – you’re in a bad spot but you’re still alive.  *On a 7-9, Death himself will offer you a bargain.  Take it and stabilize or refuse and pass beyond the Black Gates into whatever fate awaits you.  *6-, your fate is sealed.  You’re marked as Death’s own and you’ll cross the threshold soon.  The GM will tell you when.