Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Carlton finishing 9th and then beating Richmond in that final is my favourite too. It was the silver lining to all the drugs stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Essendon doping I find more sad/too many people suffering from it to be funny. But I'm an Essendon supporter so eh.

Hard to go past both Richmond's - losing to the 9th placed team, and the next year winning 9 straight and kicking into the wind against Port. But the premierships sort of take the shine off that a bit.

Power stance is pretty loving funny too.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Essendoping or Melb186

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Geelong getting their coveted home final and then losing it to Freo in one of my favourites :smug:

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
Richmond losing a final to 9th placed Carlton was the perfect convergence of three unrelated jokes so it gets my vote. An ironic conclusion to Ninthmond, made possible due to the Essendon doping scandal, and carried out by the hilariously bad Mick Malthouse Carlton team. Richmond were even well ahead at half time before losing, you couldn't have scripted a better outcome.

For a more recent one, the Crows power stance backfiring is my second favourite. I'm not including the collective minds camp though, it was too awful of an experience for the players to be funny.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Adelaide now has 3 Rorys, 3 Lachlans, and 3 Bens

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
Carlton now also has 5 Sams, and St Kilda has 5 Jacks.

Eventually, the draft will be abolished and all players will be assigned to clubs based on their first name.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Weird Sandwich posted:

Carlton now also has 5 Sams, and St Kilda has 5 Jacks.

Eventually, the draft will be abolished and all players will be assigned to clubs based on their first name.

But will Geelong, or Port Adelaide get access to all the Wylie's that will be coming?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Geelong delisted their Wylie (boooo) so it's Port I guess.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Nutsngum posted:

I am getting a little bit sick of the Suns. Their mismanagement is obvious and awful and they are being thrown concessions to make them stay afloat.

Other struggling clubs are being effected by their concessions and the AFL gives not one gently caress about it.

gently caress them off, bring in a Tasmanian team and be done with it all. Queensland will never give enough of a poo poo about footy to support more then one team and boy howdy is the gold coast the worst spot you could ever dream about putting one in.

https://twitter.com/footyindustryAU/status/1201380370932891649

:10bux:

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
To be fair, their broadcast deal gives them over $400M per year. The two extra teams give them nine games instead of eight, so you could reasonably argue they are worth $44M per year to the AFL. Even if they're worth only half of that, over seven years they've paid for themselves.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
I would argue that even if you dropped all those massive, blockbuster GC and GWS games off the fixture the TV rights deal would be about the same.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Have the grassroots participation numbers in QLD and NSW surged in the time they joined the league? That's the metric of success the AFL will be looking at

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

snaeksikn posted:

Have the grassroots participation numbers in QLD and NSW surged in the time they joined the league? That's the metric of success the AFL will be looking at

Hasn’t Queensland had massive increase in junior women’s footy since the AFLW?

Almost as if the money on the expansion teams / AFLX / whatever the gently caress else dumb ideas could have been better spent on women’s footy

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

snaeksikn posted:

I think so, although the AFL is probably more interested in viewer numbers in the expansion area for bigger tv rights deals

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

gay picnic defence posted:

I think so, although the AFL is probably more interested in viewer numbers in the expansion area for bigger tv rights deals

The AFL wants NSW to watch AFL, that’s all they really care about, Vic/SA/WA/NT/Tas are theirs already and just want the big fish

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Carlton citing conflict of interest as the reason for getting rid of Silvagni now when theyve had his son on the list his entire tenure is top notch

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yeah, pretty lovely cop out press release.

Oh well, he's done the hardest list management job in footys history, the biggest list turnover (which he didn't start/plan, but inherited) without draft concessions. He's put the bits in place for the future and we saw in the second half of this season that it came together with the right gameplan.

Pretty poo poo of our new(ish) CEO to step over the top of the list manager and make recruitment pitches to Brandon Ellis and such. Stick to the corporate side of things, work on raising memberships which he's done a great job of and securing sponsors (biggest sporting apparel deal in australia with puma, etc)

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I like how they claim Silvagni oversaw the "first, complete, on-field rebuild in the club's 155-year history".

So we're just ignoring the mid-2000s then?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

cmndstab posted:

I like how they claim Silvagni oversaw the "first, complete, on-field rebuild in the club's 155-year history".

So we're just ignoring the mid-2000s then?

Lol "complete". Things can fall apart really loving quickly and Carlton has yet to show any sort of consistency in the way they play to convince me they wont still be making up numbers in the bottom half next year.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
can you smell what the blues are cooking?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Carlton citing conflict of interest as the reason for getting rid of Silvagni now when theyve had his son on the list his entire tenure is top notch

That pretty much puts the whole F/S system under a cloud.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Every year they somehow make the afl.com.au website even loving WORSE.

Also Shuey is the new Eagles captain :)

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Diet Crack posted:

Every year they somehow make the afl.com.au website even loving WORSE.

Some ublock filters I'm using to get some of the rubbish out of the way:

code:
! -- AFL WEBSITE --
afl.com.au###telstra-bar
afl.com.au##.navigation__title-bar
afl.com.au##.parallax-content
afl.com.au##.promo
afl.com.au###footer-menu
afl.com.au###telstra-footer

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

gabensraum posted:

Some ublock filters I'm using to get some of the rubbish out of the way:

code:
! -- AFL WEBSITE --
afl.com.au###telstra-bar
afl.com.au##.navigation__title-bar
afl.com.au##.parallax-content
afl.com.au##.promo
afl.com.au###footer-menu
afl.com.au###telstra-footer
afl.com.au###damien-barrett 

I’ve added one more for you

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Sliding Divs

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

How is Dwayne Russell a good NBL commentator but is so bad at commentating AFL

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

snaeksikn posted:

How is Dwayne Russell a good NBL commentator but is so bad at commentating AFL

FROM THE PAINT

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
IF YOU'VE JUST JOINED US, WE'RE WATCHING A WHOLE DIFFERENT SPORT

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Am I the only one who thinks its a bit unethical of Carlton to draft someone from Perth in the mid season draft and then just turf them six months later?

If you want to take a punt on someone then go with a local who doesnt have to uproot their entire life to try and pursue their dream.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Nutsngum posted:

Am I the only one who thinks its a bit unethical of Carlton to draft someone from Perth in the mid season draft and then just turf them six months later?

If you want to take a punt on someone then go with a local who doesnt have to uproot their entire life to try and pursue their dream.

Yeah, same with Sydney and the bloke they drafted. The sooner they make the midseason draft include an 18 month contract the better IMO because it seems to have really screwed over both those guys.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Nutsngum posted:

Weve done one better and got Harley Bennel to move his partner and kid from Perth to Melbourne and he doesnt even have a spot on our list yet.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

Weve done one better and got Harley Bennel to move his partner and kid from Perth to Melbourne and he doesnt even have a spot on our list yet.

Bennell can probably afford it a bit better than those other dudes, he's easily made several million out of GC and Freo in his career to date

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Bennell is also on his last leg(s) so he's going all in on it. Cue torn calf.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This makes me think about a simple question:

Do clubs factor in the relocation costs for players when they do trades/drafts etc.?

I'm not talking about the NSW clubs COLA stuff, I am talking about how much of a stress, and time consuming hassle it is to have to either sell your house, or break a lease, pack up all your stuff, move interstate, get the kids into a new school, and all that stuff. Do clubs officially compensate a player for that, or is it up to th eplayer to decide if it is financially and otherwise worth it?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Clubs pay for it.

Getting on an afl list, even as a rookie is a massive payday for anyone, especially if they're under 30. $80k+ (less for midseason draftees presumably, but still getting match fees)

So nobody is worrying about money. He just had to quit his job and move actoss the country in a week.

It sucks for deluca that he was dropped but thats the gig as a top up player. 17 other clubs passed on him as a free agent so he's lucky he got a chance to play footy at the highest level.

SOS wanted to draft Kyle Dunkley at the midseason draft but he was overruled, which explains some of the tensions he had with the club.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Just realised Shaun Burgoyne's nephew got picked up by Port on f/s from Peter.

Trying to work out if an uncle/nephew have ever played in a game in opposing sides (in AFL/VFL, at least - I can imagine this has probably happened in country footy a few times)

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Deadly Hume posted:

Trying to work out if an uncle/nephew have ever played in a game in opposing sides (in AFL/VFL, at least - I can imagine this has probably happened in country footy a few times)

Poor kid

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Deadly Hume posted:

Maybe one of the Riolis? Danihers? I don't think it has happened with the Abletts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Crows appoint Adam Kelly as their new head of football.

https://www.afc.com.au/news/549486/crows-head-of-football-adam-kelly-s-focus-for-2020

I don't know anything about him but he seems good.