Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Pyke was a pirate. Then he was left for dead. Magic intervened and he did not become dead, and now instead will make you the dead one!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

eric ciaramella posted:

Sion searches for his chopper, seeking knowledge of who is your summoner, and what does he do.

I laughed.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Camille was a black ops assassin while her brother was head of her house, then she killed her brother and took over the house but went back to being an assassin because being head of house was too boring.

Also there's a story where she's interrogating 2 dudes while making tea, and she beheads one of the dudes because he's being rude.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Maokai is a tree.

also, he's pretty solid as support now because of the aftershock changes. go all in for days and insert tree branches into them to kill them.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

njsykora posted:

Camille was a black ops assassin while her brother was head of her house, then she killed her brother and took over the house but went back to being an assassin because being head of house was too boring.

Also there's a story where she's interrogating 2 dudes while making tea, and she beheads one of the dudes because he's being rude.

Don't forget turning into a pair of scissors because why not

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Polderjoch posted:

Don't forget turning into a pair of scissors because why not

My parents told me I could be anything I wanted to be when I grew up. So I became a large pair of scissors.

Those legs have got to be bad for the carpets, though. Criminy.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
The best lore of all time was the old annie lore

One day there were a bunch of noxian wizards and stuff (including annie's parents) who were Too Edgy And Badass even for noxus so they got exiled to a place called the voodoo lands, a place that existedliterally only in annie's lore and now has been retconned out of existence. Anyway in the voodoo lands there was this fuckin magical bear that was terrorizing people and they were all like "what the gently caress are we gonna do about this bear" until annie just walked up one day and turned it into a teddy bear and all the others were like "woah what the gently caress was that" and then the league of legends went "that sounds rad as gently caress send her over" The End

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

When did they add lore to the skins in the game? Some of them are pretty good.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Are there still summoners? Or did they retcon those out? I can’t remember.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

chaleski posted:

When did they add lore to the skins in the game? Some of them are pretty good.

Some time during S8, IIRC. There's always been a bunch of alternate universes based on certain skin lines, but they didn't expand on them much until recently.

Invalid Validation posted:

Are there still summoners? Or did they retcon those out? I can’t remember.

Retconned out when the League was removed from the canon. Nowadays, it's a legacy term that's used for convenience in the context of the game.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Technically summoners do exist, but in like the ordinary just magical summoner way. Not as part of the Institute of War blood sport United Nations organization which was made non-canon for stupid reasons. They're just magical people who summon stuff and are not the player avatar insert.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Dragongem posted:

Pyke was a pirate. Then he was left for dead. Magic intervened and he did not become dead, and now instead will make you the dead one!!!!

pyke is an anarcho-syndicalist who is unionising the sea life against the capitalist oppressors

strong bird
May 12, 2009

pyke drowned and now he hates the water. boy do i ever hate the water! is what he says

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The best lore to me will always be Varus being retconned from a family man who would do anything it takes to save his wife and child to two gay men trapped in a bow being used by a demon

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Technically summoners do exist, but in like the ordinary just magical summoner way. Not as part of the Institute of War blood sport United Nations organization which was made non-canon for stupid reasons. They're just magical people who summon stuff and are not the player avatar insert.

Yeah summoners now are just powerful beings who summon these people to basically treat them like action figures.

Vermain posted:

Some time during S8, IIRC. There's always been a bunch of alternate universes based on certain skin lines, but they didn't expand on them much until recently.
It was 2018 yeah, I think a lot of them got added alongside Odyssey.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

varuses lore is that hes several gay archers

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
several gay archers should be the thread title

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

njsykora posted:

Yeah summoners now are just powerful beings who summon these people to basically treat them like action figures.

It was 2018 yeah, I think a lot of them got added alongside Odyssey.

They don't even summon the champions, they just vaguely exist in universe as a type of mage who summons things. The champions also exist in universe as powerful important characters. It's weird. Like, the original caveat of Summoners bringing Champions to fight in the Institute of War to solve political issues is no longer a thing, Summoners no longer interact with champions at all. It's just they exist as an in universe term for people with summoning magic, instead of people specifically working to Summon specific champions for fake war games.

The game is flat out no longer canon in how it plays, and voice interactions are only vaguely canon.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 7, 2019

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I miss The Tribunal, for real. I loved seeing people named and shamed for being lovely racist and sexist bigots.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Lord_Magmar posted:

The game is flat out no longer canon in how it plays, and voice interactions are only vaguely canon.

It’s possible I’m wrong on the on the timeline, but this is probably Overwatch’s influence, right? OW very much doesn’t give a poo poo about how or why things are happening once you press the Play button, and the lore there is very popular.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Boxman posted:

It’s possible I’m wrong on the on the timeline, but this is probably Overwatch’s influence, right? OW very much doesn’t give a poo poo about how or why things are happening once you press the Play button, and the lore there is very popular.

It could be, I think it happened roughly the same year though, so it might have just been simultaneous developments in storytelling for primarily multplayer player vs player games. Overwatch definitely is using the way people care about League characters to it's maximum potential (that is to say using distinctive designs and personalities over actual plot development).

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
I can't believe we went through a discussion about stupid League Lore without mentioning how MF once spilled into the Great hall the same way she spilled into her silk blouse. BOTH TAXED TO CONTAIN HER.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Vermain posted:

League's "universe" is an incredibly valuable property. It lends itself well to nearly every popular type of game out there, and it's successfully mushed enough genres and aesthetic styles together that you can appeal to a broader cross-section of people besides "people who like League." Something like KD/A has enough popular recognition from League fans to push it into the mainstream, where music fans - people who might otherwise have never even touched League - get hooked. Even Runeterra - which is the fantasy kitchen sink Forgotten Realms always longed to be - has such a broad net of popular appeal that you can scoop up just about everyone who's even vaguely interested in the fantasy genre.The fact that it's taken them this long to exploit that is entirely on upper management being a bunch of dinguses who blindly stumbled into their incredible success more than anything else.

The writing's been getting progressively better, now that they have enough money and clout to start hiring actual-for-real writers. Still, I'm never expecting Dostoevsky from them: League is fundamentally a chuuni-rear end universe, and the writers they get - dudes like Dan Abnett - understand how to cater to that sensibility.
Even their themed events/skins could easily generate better games outside of the league client which they were shoe-horned in on.

With so many games on the horizon, maybe they're planning to go full Mario since people have their characters and you can easily have them fill different roles to fit their costumes.

I'd definitely gently caress around with a serviceable Odyssey shooter

Monicro posted:

The best lore of all time was the old annie lore

One day there were a bunch of noxian wizards and stuff (including annie's parents) who were Too Edgy And Badass even for noxus so they got exiled to a place called the voodoo lands, a place that existedliterally only in annie's lore and now has been retconned out of existence. Anyway in the voodoo lands there was this fuckin magical bear that was terrorizing people and they were all like "what the gently caress are we gonna do about this bear" until annie just walked up one day and turned it into a teddy bear and all the others were like "woah what the gently caress was that" and then the league of legends went "that sounds rad as gently caress send her over" The End

Holy poo poo that's awesome. I don't hate what we got, but I definitely prefer THIS.

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 7, 2019

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Boxman posted:

The key difference is Overwatch lore is pretty thin compared to League with all the stuff we have on the Universe site, and also Summoner's Rift being non-canon is more convenience and not having to come up with a reason for why one of the good guys is trying to bomb a robot settlement.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Kooriken posted:

I can't believe we went through a discussion about stupid League Lore without mentioning how MF once spilled into the Great hall the same way she spilled into her silk blouse. BOTH TAXED TO CONTAIN HER.

I was gonna quote that soon if it didn't show up.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Wasnt camilles thing something like;

Camille's brother: Cam you need to become a robot. For anti crimes.
Camille: what. No.
Brother: I kill your husband and say crimes did it. You should totally be a robot.
Camille: I am fooled. Time to be a robot and fight crime.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Fiancee but basically yes. The longer version is that the guy designing Camille's robot parts falls in love with her and she falls in love with him, she questions her duty to her family, brother does the thing, Camille recieves her final modification (her heart because symbolism) and becomes cold to humanity.

Eventually she kills her brother for being bad for the family business (and possibly for killing said Fiancee).

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
The best original lore is that Fiddlesticks was a motionless scarecrow locked in a room alone for 20 years after Istvaan hosed up a summoning ritual and he just killed every League official who went in to try to deal with him so they left him alone.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

njsykora posted:

The key difference is Overwatch lore is pretty thin compared to League with all the stuff we have on the Universe site, and also Summoner's Rift being non-canon is more convenience and not having to come up with a reason for why one of the good guys is trying to bomb a robot settlement.

I don't think I had looked at the Universe site since it launched and holy poo poo there's a lot of content there

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Aerox posted:

The best original lore is that Fiddlesticks was a motionless scarecrow locked in a room alone for 20 years after Istvaan hosed up a summoning ritual and he just killed every League official who went in to try to deal with him so they left him alone.

Extra-dimensional summonings were forbidden but he decided to try it anyway. The result was Fiddles who said he was waiting for something but never said what and killed anybody who got near the room he was in. So people just bricked up the room and forgot about it.

...until somebody figured out that you could summon Fiddles who went along with it surprisingly cooperatively. So long as you didn't try to go in the room he was occupying he was cool. That was some good Secrets Man was Not Meant to Know lore.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Hands off my Scroll

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I miss The League

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan
I liked Jax's old lore in which he was just some random merc that got a free pass into the League, where he turned out to be too good at kicking rear end so they made rules specifically to handicap him and in response Jax is like aight cool and proceeds to gently caress people up with a lamp post.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Who wants a piece of Saijax Cail-Rynx Kohari Icath’un

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

fibblins posted:

I liked Jax's old lore in which he was just some random merc that got a free pass into the League, where he turned out to be too good at kicking rear end so they made rules specifically to handicap him and in response Jax is like aight cool and proceeds to gently caress people up with a lamp post.

The suggestion was that he was actually the old leader of the organization in disguise. That's why he got a free pass; the door was like "oh hey guy, yeah go on in." The mercenary was totally unremarkable and mostly kept to himself until the leader guy just randomly decided to quit and disappear. At basically the same time the mercenary shows up and is like "yo bitches, I'm Jax and I want in!" The door is like "lol, k." He was just too freaking good of a fighter so they wanted to kick him out to keep it fair. He was like "whatever, I'll fight with a lamp then." They went "great, that'll make it fair."

...it didn't and he kept fighting with the lamp because why not?

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I always thought Lee sins lore was kind of cool

strong bird
May 12, 2009

lee sin's lore is that he is chinese

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sexpansion posted:

I always thought Lee sins lore was kind of cool

His original lore was great but there are no summoners anymore sooooooo...

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Just had old school semi-pro Bischu (who went to become an OW player) on my team. He sucked, but we won through the power of buying ninja tabis versus 4 AD champions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
What's extra funny to me about League's lore is that I know nothing about Soraka, my highest mastery champion. Except that she's a satyr that likes astrology, but that's stuff anyone could could figure that out just by looking at her model. Let me read champ bios in the load screen or in champ select and I will, but I'm not going to actively search out lore for +100 characters in a game that has acreted so much disparate poo poo over the years

Getting rid of Summoners and sweeping the meta narrative under the rug is even stranger to me, I could have a match where a warlord, a demon, a bird, a god, and a ninja team up to fight a king, a ghost-eating ghost, death incarnate, a fallen god, and an elemental. Without the meta narrative, and from what little of the lore I know, most of those champions would rather kill their own teammates
My teams were Ashe, Swain, Rakan, Nasus, and Kennen vs Tryn, Kalista, Kindred, Aatrox and Janna