Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh yeah, Inside Llewyn Davis is on my top 3 too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Here are the top 11 videogame movies of the decade:
Detective Pikachu
Tomb Raider
Rampage
Resident Evil: Retribution
Hitman: Agent 47
Silent Hill: Revelation
Resident Evil: Afterlife
Warcraft
Need For Speed
Assassin’s Creed
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Warcraft was the most boringest movie ever

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm happy to say I haven't seen any video game movies this decade.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

precision posted:

Warcraft was the most boringest movie ever

It's real bad

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Oh hey before we move on from movie chat, The Brotherhood of the Wolf is aesthetically very close to Bloodborne and is about French Kung Fu scientists fighting werewolves in the South of France. The action sequences are extremely badass, and it even has Trick Weapons. I tend to recommend it once every season in the Bloodborne thread, but if you want an awesome action movie with tri-cornered hats and flintlock pistols this is the jam.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Steve Yun posted:

Detective Pikachu
Tomb Raider
Rampage
Warcraft
Need For Speed
Assassin’s Creed

Detective Pikachu was a lot of fun.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Detective Pikachu
Tomb Raider
Rampage
Warcraft
Need For Speed
Assassin’s Creed

I’ve only seen the top two but latest Tomb Raider was so lovely I can’t imagine how awful the ones below must be

It made me not like Walton Goggins in something, do you know what a sin that is

Detective Pikachu was good though yeah

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

I'm happy to say I haven't seen any video game movies this decade.

If Uwe Boll isn't involved, video game movies aren't worth watching. Too bad he ran out of nazi gold or some poo poo.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I should add that it also doubles as an “all videogame movies of the last decade” list

I only saw Detective Pikachu and Prince of Persia. POP was forgettable other than Gemma Arterton being hot. I know nothing about Pokemon so I was confused for most of DP’s injokey and convoluted plot but the ending still somehow got a tear out of me.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Dec 7, 2019

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

His career was based entirely on exploiting loopholes in the German tax code to finance his films and when they closed those it was all downhill from there

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bust Rodd posted:

Oh hey before we move on from movie chat, The Brotherhood of the Wolf is aesthetically very close to Bloodborne and is about French Kung Fu scientists fighting werewolves in the South of France. The action sequences are extremely badass, and it even has Trick Weapons. I tend to recommend it once every season in the Bloodborne thread, but if you want an awesome action movie with tri-cornered hats and flintlock pistols this is the jam.

And you know that's the guy that directed Silent Hill, right? That's why the SH movie lowkey owns hard

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Anyway the best videogame movie is Serenity.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Anyway the best videogame movie is Serenity.

Both of them!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Serenity 2019 is one of the most hilariously awful movies I have ever seen. My friend and I use “every wave that breaks is a guess” as a greeting/parting phrase to each other a lot now

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

His career was based entirely on exploiting loopholes in the German tax code to finance his films and when they closed those it was all downhill from there

I'll admit, my previous post was in jest.

He made movies that attempted to capture the essence of the way the games were played. Which is probably (definitely) not the best way to depict a story based on a video game.

I gotta give him some credit for his post lovely video game movies though, his Rampage series was unique enough (and super hosed up) that I can't imagine anyone else ever attempting anything similar.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

2-9: Twin Peaks: The Return parts 1-8

This season destroys me. Don’t know if I’ll ever see anything like it again.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MechaSeinfeld posted:

"What year is this?"

:aaaaa:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I might wait until I get a 4K box to fully utilize my tv for Fury Road. That’s the proper thing to do, right? Unfortunately that will require a PS4 Pro (probably not happening) or a PS5 since I try to watch ~serious~ intense movies with headphones and the PS4 is the best way I have to do that.

Or maybe I’ll take a 2020 heel turn and not watch it and instead brag about not watching it, tipping the scales of the ps fourth thread towards absolute anarchy hail satan

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I’ve felt like this since I first saw it. It altered a lot of my views about art and life, internally and how I approach it externally. It sounds ridiculous to a lot of people but I think Lynch captures life in a way that often pushes past the surrealism into being brutally raw and honest. It affects me deeply and I’m always glad to have been born in a time where I get the chance to experience art like this.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'll probably have to just buy Twin Peaks S3 imported from America. it had a one-time showing on a premium cable channel in Japan and then there's no sign it would ever be in streaming video or get a local Blu-ray release.

It's what I had to do for the original Twin Peaks too. It just doesn't resonate in Japan very much it seems.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Which seems crazy to me because outside of the Megatropolis cities like Tokyo isn’t Japan like... 90% spooky mountain towns?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bust Rodd posted:

Which seems crazy to me because outside of the Megatropolis cities like Tokyo isn’t Japan like... 90% spooky mountain towns?
No.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

I might wait until I get a 4K box to fully utilize my tv for Fury Road. That’s the proper thing to do, right?.

The proper thing to do is watch it ASAP by any means necessary

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i thought fury road looked pretty boring so i never watched it

it still looks really boring

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ethanol posted:

What movies look exciting to you if monster trucks shooting flamethrowers at each other in a hurricane looks boring?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ethanol posted:

Wow, the worst post ever made!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

What movies look exciting to you if monster trucks shooting flamethrowers at each other in a hurricane looks boring?
I’m holding out for the kojima feature film

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ethanol posted:

I’m holding out for the kojima feature film

It would be eight hours long, release in 2030 (original release date; 2022) and done entirely in stop-motion claymation. Because he could.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It would be eight hours long, release in 2030 (original release date; 2022) and done entirely in stop-motion claymation. Because he could.
The studio will get mad and kick him out and it’ll end worse than Game of Thrones

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
An actual film by Kojima would only be 67 minutes long, and would require controller inputs from the audience

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

"What year is this?"

:aaaaa:

Kilometers Davis posted:

I might wait until I get a 4K box to fully utilize my tv for Fury Road. That’s the proper thing to do, right? Unfortunately that will require a PS4 Pro (probably not happening) or a PS5 since I try to watch ~serious~ intense movies with headphones and the PS4 is the best way I have to do that.

Or maybe I’ll take a 2020 heel turn and not watch it and instead brag about not watching it, tipping the scales of the ps fourth thread towards absolute anarchy hail satan

I’ve felt like this since I first saw it. It altered a lot of my views about art and life, internally and how I approach it externally. It sounds ridiculous to a lot of people but I think Lynch captures life in a way that often pushes past the surrealism into being brutally raw and honest. It affects me deeply and I’m always glad to have been born in a time where I get the chance to experience art like this.

it’s the last thing I saw that I can say has made me the most vulnerable. It’s unreal. I still can’t believe I experienced it in real time. I watched mullholland drive after and it was similarly eye opening. Just can’t be sure another bit of media will affect me that much.

Similar vibes to death stranding actually. just an unreal experience.

“What year is this” is so chilling. my goodness.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

Detective Pikachu
Tomb Raider
Rampage
Warcraft
Need For Speed
Assassin’s Creed

No Doom? I lost it when it went first person.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Hav posted:

No Doom? I lost it when it went first person.

That scene is great for all of the wrong reasons.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

If you haven't watched Fury Road by 2019, your opinions on action movies - and honestly everything else probably- are worthless. I don't make the rules but I do enforce them.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Doom was 2005, so not this decade

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Steve Yun posted:

Doom was 2005, so not this decade

Some movies transcend time.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

If you haven't watched Fury Road by 2019, your opinions on action movies - and honestly everything else probably- are worthless. I don't make the rules but I do enforce them.

Would you feel as strongly about the opinions of people who haven't seen Dredd? Because while I think Fury Road is an amazing action movie, Dredd far surpasses it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sammus posted:

Would you feel as strongly about the opinions of people who haven't seen Dredd? Because while I think Fury Road is an amazing action movie, Dredd far surpasses it.

Dredd is great too but I think Fury Road is tops. But sure we can say it's true about both of 'em why not.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Dredd and Fury Road are both top tier movies, can we just appreciate them and not argue about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I didn’t find Dredd to be anything special because the gunplay is mediocre. I liked a lot of the stylistic elements but it’s nowhere near as action packed as any of the other movies we’ve discussed.