Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Phil Moscowitz posted:

We was just wrassling your honor

The Rt. Hon. Shaggy 2 Dope finds the defendant Totally Sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Turtlicious posted:

This is some legal advice:

Do not wrassle anyone. No wrassling. Period.

what if you're a professional wrassler

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

A_Account posted:

So far everybody I've spoken to about this has been fair and level headed, especially once they have read my statement. And I mean fair and level headed, not biased in my favour. The university guild have been very helpful, GBS less so.

I came looking for legal help more for what to do after all this is over since I am fairly confident it will go in my favour and if it doesn't I will kick back as hard as possible.

Everyone else has already chipped in here but seriously shut up.

You don't know enough to be confident. If you are confident , you are wrong. You are dunning-kreuger personified right now: you don't even know enough to realize how ignorant you are.

Only a lawyer, licensed in your area, who has reviewed your case could possibly speak on it with confidence. Go talk to one. Stop talking here.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

No, please, post your exact actions that will obviously exonerate you, Rowdy Roddy RA. The lawyers in this thread are just trying to protect their championship belts, but I think a heel winning it will really galvanize the ratings

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Seeing as A_Account hasn't asked - would you lot recommend lawyering before he hears the specifics of the complaint, or should he hold off till then? Like, for all he knows it could be "A_Account didn't pass me when he should have, waa" and the uni is obliged to go through the motions. (E: I mean, it's not gonna be, but it could be, right?)

Also, what if it's a gold-fringed wrasslin belt?

lofi fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 7, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

lofi posted:

Seeing as A_Account hasn't asked - would you lot recommend lawyering before he hears the specifics of the complaint, or should he hold off till then? Like, for all he knows it could be "A_Account didn't pass me when he should have, waa" and the uni is obliged to go through the motions. (E: I mean, it's not gonna be, but it could be, right?)

If you need a lawyer you needed the lawyer yesterday. You're already making mistakes or you probably wouldn't be looking for a lawyer in the first place. The longer you wait to lawyer up the more opportunities you're giving yourself to gently caress up further. You can't listen to a lawyer you don't have.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Outrail, I was unable to read the details before you deleted them (and it's good you deleted them), but it is very possible your boss knows exactly what they are doing, and is making sure you are the person who is going to be held responsible.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Discendo Vox posted:

Outrail, I was unable to read the details before you deleted them (and it's good you deleted them), but it is very possible your boss knows exactly what they are doing, and is making sure you are the person who is going to be held responsible.

Yeah, this makes sense to me also.

Your best choice of action is probably quitting and getting a job somewhere else ASAP. Without having read the original post, just from context comments it's crystal clear this situation is going to get worse and you don't want to be the last one out before the musical chairs stop.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

owlhawk911 posted:

actually that is a question i have now. is that actually a defense? like if this guy went ahead and cranked out some falsified invoices for his charity could he just say "my boss told me it was cool" and be off the hook?

The Nuremberg defense is not actually a defense the majority of the time. You can argue mens rea and intent, if you didn’t actually know what you were doing was wrong. But you’d be hard press to claim ignorance on falsifying invoices.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Really the number one rule when it comes to subjective defense pleading (aka too dumb to crime) is that it needs to actually be reasonable. If nobody is usually that loving stupid, well then you have a problem.

Also, it needs to concern fact, not law. Factual ignorance may get you off the hook (mislead, conned, defrauded etc. and your conduct was reasonable in that context) but ignorance of the law (didn't know it was illegal, honest) is a straight waste of time almost every time everywhere.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
It makes me sad you guys dunked on that dude so hard he’s probably never coming back to finish his tale of wrasslin’-inspired woe :(

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Discendo Vox posted:

I hadn't thought of that, but given what I know about the parties involved this is extremely unlikely. In any case even if I deliberately did some extremely illegal poo poo he would also be legally liable for anything I did as a worker for the organization.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, this makes sense to me also.

Your best choice of action is probably quitting and getting a job somewhere else ASAP. Without having read the original post, just from context comments it's crystal clear this situation is going to get worse and you don't want to be the last one out before the musical chairs stop.

Yeah, we're approaching this point. If we leave the org will likely fold and it does a lot of good work.

I've had a string of lovely working environments and I'm just so loving tired of dealing with poo poo like this when I should be hammering out actual work. Finding work around here in my field is very difficult, and the situation is potentially salvageable if we can convince the two problem people to just back off and let us do our jobs. You can start pissing down the well now.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Challenge your boss to a cage match, A_Account could be hiding under the ring to throw the match in your favor.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
gently caress. Violence really is the answer to all our problems.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

sephiRoth IRA posted:

It makes me sad you guys dunked on that dude so hard he’s probably never coming back to finish his tale of wrasslin’-inspired woe :(

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Outrail posted:

gently caress-violence really is the answer to all our problems.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Nice piece of fish posted:

Really the number one rule when it comes to subjective defense pleading (aka too dumb to crime) is that it needs to actually be reasonable. If nobody is usually that loving stupid, well then you have a problem.

Also, it needs to concern fact, not law. Factual ignorance may get you off the hook (mislead, conned, defrauded etc. and your conduct was reasonable in that context) but ignorance of the law (didn't know it was illegal, honest) is a straight waste of time almost every time everywhere.

"2 dumb 4 crime" as a face tat seems like a powerful piece of evidence. i'll have to think about this, thanks. maybe just practice saying "oh gosh, ah geez. those tricksters" real embarrassed-like for now

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
We are mutually wrestling! [I slide my hand over your rear end and fall into unemployment, it's not clear what kind of move I was trying to do]

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Is it a written order? Try to get it in writing.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
That was amazing. That guy was the stupidest, most tone deaf motherfucker and deserved every last dunk from both threads

FrozenVent posted:

“CAN YOU SMEL-L-L-L-L! WHAT THE RA! IS! COOKING!”

:love:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I’ve never asked legal advice from something awful, llc. But is this a lot of traffic itt vs normal?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
"oblivious person who doesn't yet realize how deep the poo poo they're in" and "oblivious person who doesn't realize fraud is a crime" are recurring cast members, getting two in a row like that has things a little lively but that's it

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Javid posted:

"oblivious person who doesn't yet realize how deep the poo poo they're in" and "oblivious person who doesn't realize fraud is a crime" are recurring cast members, getting two in a row like that has things a little lively but that's it

It’s pretty entertaining, so win I guess.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

It was a good couple pages

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

We just need tree law to complete the sequence.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
So I'm not on speaking terms with my neighbor, and there is a eucalyptus tree on our property that is partly overhanging their driveway.

How do I legally replant the tree on their driveway without anyone noticing?

Fake edit: I'm not on speaking terms with them because I only moved in this year and haven't seen them yet.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Burt Sexual posted:

I’ve never asked legal advice from something awful, llc. But is this a lot of traffic itt vs normal?
It was linked in PYF: SA's Greatest Sagas and that's how I got here and am posting to say "lol"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Eminent Domain posted:

We just need tree law to complete the sequence.
My neighbor's papaya tree overhangs on our backyard and drops rotten fruit and dead limbs into our patio. Am I within my rights to prune everything that overhangs with no warning?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

FilthyImp posted:

My neighbor's papaya tree overhangs on our backyard and drops rotten fruit and dead limbs into our patio. Am I within my rights to prune everything that overhangs with no warning?

That's what my dad does to his neighbors trees and it's fine. Go ahead. IANATL

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
My neighbour’s tree fell and crashed through my guest bedroom and my garage, damaging my car and injuring my friend who was staying over on a business trip.

On the way down the tree also took down the communication cables for the block.

The tree might have fallen because my landlord - who also own the neighboring property - was doing some landscaping work to shore up the fence on the property line with his neighbour.

Who do I sue and for what?

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
LOL at IANATL.

In the future I hope tree law branches off from law like how optometry or dentistry doesn't go through medical school. You can just go to tree law school. Maybe a six year combined program with an agricultural degree.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

FrozenVent posted:

My neighbour’s tree fell and crashed through my guest bedroom and my garage, damaging my car and injuring my friend who was staying over on a business trip.

The tree might have fallen because my landlord - who also own the neighboring property - was doing some landscaping work to shore up the fence on the property line with his neighbour.

So the landlord owns your property, the neighbour's property and the tree? Who else is there to sue? Yourself?

Throw the landlord into a woodchipper and you're now owned by the tree.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
make a bone broth out of your manager/supervisor and eat him in front of their family.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Turtlicious posted:

make a bone broth out of your manager/supervisor and eat him in front of their family.

That’s your answer to everything.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

FrozenVent posted:

Do you have renters insurance

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

EwokEntourage posted:

Do you have renters insurance

Yes, through the landlord’s family-owned-and-operated insurance company

They’re denying the claim, is that relevant?

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap
Divorce law question, sort of. I'm in the process of looking for a divorce lawyer, and my dad is convinced that the best thing for me to do is to write out what happened, so that I can hand over a typed-out transcript of events to the lawyer. This will, he's sure, save time and money.

Is this actually necessary and/or helpful, or should I just focus on finding the lawyer and skip the transcript entirely?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
That sounds like an extremely great idea honestly. Don't just send it unsolicited but if they're like "yeah tell me about the situation" it's just ready to read from or email or whatever

IMO this isn't even lawyer advice so much as "dealing with pros you pay by the hour, in general" advice, but having as much information you can about whatever you want them to do for you already prepared (before you start a dialog with them) is always helpful

I cannot speak for others but when I'm working on that sort of client-job basis, the people who know what they need and don't make me wring the key data I need out of them get more of my priority attention; in your case, a good solid essay on the period of time in question will probably cover a lot of the key bits the guy needs to start filing whatever things need filing

finding a solid lawyer you trust can/should take non-zero calendar days, so definitely get on both tasks imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The lawyer still has to read and interpret the document and ask you follow up questions

Not really seeing a time or money savings

It’s not like free for a lawyer to read something