Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Some “flat rate” systems incorporate additional amounts like $300 for a fact deposition that is not the plaintiff or whatever. So there can be an incentive to take those depositions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.
Attending depositions where there are a dozen lawyers in the room and one of them is a mortal lock to ask the witness the exact three questions I'm there to ask before I get a chance to are the closest I'll ever get to paid vacation.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Some “flat rate” systems incorporate additional amounts like $300 for a fact deposition that is not the plaintiff or whatever. So there can be an incentive to take those depositions.

Wow, 300 whole dollars!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Wow, 300 whole dollars!

Lol for 30 minutes of work that’s a pretty good realization/effective rate

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the sanctions motion for that captain hook lawyer is in front of the judge who wrote this, so we may get one hell of a written decision out of it: https://www.popehat.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/PendaSanctionsOrder.pdf

perhaps my favorite judicial footnote ever:

quote:

This punitive portion is calculated to be just below the cost of an effective appeal.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 6, 2019

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Many thanks to Omerta and Munin for meeting up for lunch with me today. Time entry: Non-billable - administrative: Lunch meeting with industry colleagues 2.0.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

evilweasel posted:

the sanctions motion for that captain hook lawyer is in front of the judge who wrote this, so we may get one hell of a written decision out of it: https://www.popehat.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/PendaSanctionsOrder.pdf

perhaps my favorite judicial footnote ever:

I finally read some of the depo and my god. Can't wait for the judge's take on the shitshow.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Can someone explain how musk won the defamation case, also how did it even get through motion practice - what's the issue of material fact for the jury

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Can someone explain how musk won the defamation case, also how did it even get through motion practice - what's the issue of material fact for the jury

Probably intent i.e. malice.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
also whether calling someone a "pedo guy" means that you think he is molesting children or just a creepy old guy and an issue of actual damages

i think the jury got it wrong

quote:

Musk testified that Unsworth had proposed a physically impossible act that could not be taken literally. Likewise, he said, the “pedo guy” phrase couldn’t be taken literally. “Mother-effer doesn’t literally mean incest,” he noted. And, he said, he apologized and took the pedo guy tweet down within hours.

Unsworth’s lawyers offered evidence to show Musk literally accused Unsworth of pedophilia. After the initial tweet, Musk sent another that read “Bet ya a signed dollar it’s true.” He had an employee pay a private investigator (who turned out to be a con man and ex-felon) to dig into Unsworth and leak material to the British media, according to court testimony. Musk sent emails to Buzzfeed News reporter Ryan Mac concerning his coverage of Unsworth, insinuating that the rescue diver was a child rapist.

In one email to Mac, according to court documents, Musk wrote, “I suggest that you call people you know in Thailand, find out what’s actually going on and stop defending child rapists...” Musk also claimed Unsworth moved to Thailand “for a child bride who was about 12 years old at the time,” though no evidence backs up such claims, the lawsuit said.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
The fact that people have invested millions if not billions (I have not looked up Tesla's market cap) of dollars with this nutjob amazes me. It just reminds me of my transactional practice, where I learned that any notion that wealth and success is necessarily associated with intelligence and merit is just ridiculous.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Elon Musk is a saint and I won't tolerate you talking bad about him which may or may not be related to a certain client of mine. Also every elderly European living in southeast Asia is by definition sus.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Some of the dumbest people I know are rich

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Jury trials in civil cases is some moronic bird brained poo poo

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
How you get results like a public figure calling some guy a child fucker for no reason and then tripling down on it and apparently not being liable. Just poo poo

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Yuns posted:

Also every elderly European living in southeast Asia is by definition sus.

Not wrong tbh.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

terrorist ambulance posted:

Jury trials in civil cases is some moronic bird brained poo poo

Thank god my practice is basically all equitable poo poo.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

EwokEntourage posted:

also whether calling someone a "pedo guy" means that you think he is molesting children or just a creepy old guy and an issue of actual damages

i think the jury got it wrong

:thunk:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SlyFrog posted:

The fact that people have invested millions if not billions (I have not looked up Tesla's market cap) of dollars with this nutjob amazes me. It just reminds me of my transactional practice, where I learned that any notion that wealth and success is necessarily associated with intelligence and merit is just ridiculous.

There are plenty of people much richer than Musk who are also much stupider.

E: OK I checked his net worth and updated my post accordingly: There are plenty of people who are also billionaires like Musk and who are even stupider than he is.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 7, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

joat mon posted:

Mad Dog 20/20 will give you more interesting dreams, but if you're watching Frozen for its cultural appropriation missteps, Thunderbird is the one you want.

What's the word? Thunderbird!

Back in the day I worked at liquor store in. . . .let's call it a disadvantaged neighborhood. The largely homeless, alcoholic clientele all had specific colloquial names for their preferred beverages. Seagram's gin was "bumpy" because of the bottle. Wild Irish Rose had several names ranging from "primrose path" to "fight'cha momma". (as in, "gimme ha'pin' fight'cha momma".) The most common was "smirky" for Smirnoff.

The homeless alcoholics would rarely buy bottom shelf though if they bought liquor and not fortified wine. The college kids bought Popov and Aristocrat, not the alcoholics.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pqSvqOaglbk

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

What's the price? A dollar twice!*

What's the action? Satisfaction!

The college kids bought Popov and Aristocrat, not the alcoholics.

loving Aristocrat is the worst alcohol I have ever tried, and I drank MD 20-20 through my college years.

*Sometimes "thrice", times being what they are.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Another member of the jury owned two teslas but could not be struck because the plaintiff was already out of strikes.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
When I interned in state court, I watched the prosecutors interview the jury after they lost a DV trial. One of the jury told the prosecutors that they would have won the case had they subpoenaed all the phone recordings of the calls defendant made that month and listened to them to “establish intent”.

Prosecutor told the guy you couldn’t subpoena phone recordings like that. Jury member told the prosecutor he was wrong, that the he has personally done it before, and he should be better at his job.

Mediocre prosecutor but drat he had a rock solid poker face

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

EwokEntourage posted:

Lol at this dude asking for free legal advice online

Obvious Throatwarbler rereg

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

So I got PSLF.

So that's cool.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
The Plaintiff in the Musk case swung for the fences and asked for $150 million in exemplary damages. This likely means they attempted to pick a "damages" jury over a "liability" jury.

I don't blame Plaintiff. It's rare to get someone with the resources of Musk as a Defendant. Shoot your shot.

If they had picked a liability jury and asked for 100k, the Plaintiff would have won easily.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I think the logic was that the damages should be enough so as to act as a deterrent for someone as rich as Musk.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Teddybear posted:

I think the logic was that the damages should be enough so as to act as a deterrent for someone as rich as Musk.

I understand the logic but getting a jury to award 150 million in exemplary damages over a tweet is hard to do. You need a certain type of jury panel and enough evidence to get the jury to literally hate the Plaintiff.

Statistically, you may get that jury 1 out of 10 times. Still worth a shot to most Plaintiffs because there are very few human activities that will pay you 150 million a tenth of the time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It wasn’t just a tweet. It was a series of tweets, hiring a dude to spread rumors in british tabloids, and flat out calling him a child fucker in an email to a journalist.

He asked for $1 per twitter follower. Unsworth lost his case because of bazingas on the jury.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Musk paid a PI like $50k to prove the guy is a pedo. It wasn’t a joke or expressing an opinion.

What jurisdiction was this in?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Federal court in southern california, iirc.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Nah, Mudd is right - If your ask is outrageous, the jury is going to presume you're outrageous, and your case is outrageous.

I think it's a perfectly acceptable check and balance against litigiousness, and one thats inherent in our modern social mooring, And if the personalities were different in this case most people would feel a different way.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Ok but why is a jury even being asked for damages. Liability I kind of understand (not really) but damages?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Do juries not decide all legal issues of fact in your jurisdiction?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The jury didn’t say no because of damages. The juror that owns two teslas said that because the “sorry pedo guy you brought this on yourself” tweet didn’t name unsworth specifically he failed to prove that the defamatory statement was directed at him.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

SlothBear posted:

So I got PSLF.

So that's cool.

Congrats, that's like winning the lottery! Were you on ibr the whole time leading up to it?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ok but why is a jury even being asked for damages. Liability I kind of understand (not really) but damages?

actual damages are a matter of fact to be proved by the plaintiff as part of their case. as the jury is the fact-finder, it's appropriate that the jury measure those - it's not a matter of law what damages a plaintiff is entitled to on a defamation case

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

SlothBear posted:

So I got PSLF.

So that's cool.

Congrats on being part of the 0.01%!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Damages are (mostly) a question of fact, not law, so jurors decide them when they are acting as fact-finders.

I mean I agree civil juries are dumb as poo poo and we should abolish them, but until that constitutional amendment happens, we’re stuck with juries getting to decide complex legal questions, and then over-award damages for them.