Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

The Walrus posted:

how loud do you guys listen to music? My system goes up to 10 but at 4 stuff starts shaking so I rarely go above 2. I want to go to 10 so so badly :(

My receiver starts at negative numbers for some reason so moderate volumes are in the 20-24 range (which is usually what I put it on unless I'm not in the same room.). When you get to 1 it starts getting loud. I have no idea why it's like this.

Barry posted:

TMR's "normal" stuff is really reasonably priced - the blue live LPs are $15 (have bought a few sub-$10 used at my local shops), their reissures are ~$20, the 45s are $5-$6 or so, etc. They do a lot of good reissues too; just picked up Jonathan Fire*Eaters Tremble Under Boom Lights for $18, not bad.

I would have never even heard of Texas Funeral which was one of their first reissues and that album should really be a classic. I also would have probably never been able to get the first 5,6,7,8s album either so the reissue aspect of that label is doing the lord's work. Jack White (and Ben Blackwell who probably has a lot to do with those things) has really good taste in music and he just uses the fact that he's rich and famous as a platform to get all kinds of stuff you'd probably would have never found otherwise out there.

Ballz posted:

VMP posted a mega update on all their site/shipping issues. No, they didn't email members to alert them.

My records still haven't shipped and now Beck has been delayed to January. :sigh:

Is the VMP Beck thing his new album or a desperately needed reissue of something from the 90s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I understand the AD/BC 2LP thing from back in the day, it was because you'd have automatic changers and would flip the stack at the halfway point, but I don't quite get the AC/BD/EH/FI/GJ configuration on the LCD concert. At first i thought it was, as mentioned, for DJs, who'd have two turntables (but who would be playing the whole concert in a DJ setting?) until I got to the last three LPs and it actually requires three turntables or two with a bit more switching than the first two discs imply:

LP1, side A on turntable 1; LP2, side B on turntable 2.
Play A, Cue B, Flip LP1
LP1, side C on turntable 1; LP2, side B on turntable 2.
Play B, Cue C, Flip LP2
LP1, side C on turntable 1; LP2, side D on turntable 2.
Play C, Cue D, swap LP1 for LP3
LP3, side E on turntable 1; LP2, side D on turntable 2.
Play D, Cue E, swap LP2 for LP4
LP3, side E on turntable 1; LP4, side F on turntable 2.
Play E, Cue F, swap LP3 for LP 5
LP5, side G on turntable 1; LP 4, side F on turntable 2.
Play F, Cue G, swap LP4 for LP 3
LP5, side G on turntable 1; LP 3, side H on turntable 2.
Play G, Cue H, swap LP5 for LP4
LP4, side I on turntable 1; LP 3, side H on turntable 2.
Play H, Cue I, swap LP 3 for LP 5
LP4, side I on turntable 1; LP 5, side J on turntable 2.
Play I, Cue J
Play J

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

CPL593H posted:

Is the VMP Beck thing his new album or a desperately needed reissue of something from the 90s?

New album. I thought his back catalogue was all reissued recently and isn’t too hard to find.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CPL593H posted:

My receiver starts at negative numbers for some reason so moderate volumes are in the 20-24 range (which is usually what I put it on unless I'm not in the same room.). When you get to 1 it starts getting loud. I have no idea why it's like this.

https://hub.yamaha.com/why-are-the-numbers-on-my-avr-volume-control-negative/

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

The Walrus posted:

how loud do you guys listen to music? My system goes up to 10 but at 4 stuff starts shaking so I rarely go above 2. I want to go to 10 so so badly :(
The early '70s vintage Zenith console that I listen to a lot of my old poo poo on can fill the living room at about a 3/10. I think the loudest I've ever had it was at like 5, and that was during a party.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ballz posted:

New album. I thought his back catalogue was all reissued recently and isn’t too hard to find.

I was about to say that Midnight Vultures needs a reissue and that's a one fans have been yelling about for a while. I just looked it up and it appears that the master tapes for that were likely destroyed in a fire that took many iconic and historically important recordings and films among other things. So that's unfortunate. The previous LP sells for about 200 bucks. The Information and various EPs from the 90s are still MIA, though I don't expect to see the latter every again and who knows where those things are of if they were also destroyed in the fire.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

caligulamprey posted:

If you got money to burn, Waxwork just put up their 2020 subscription that includes

Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer
Friday The 13th Part VII: The New Blood (2xLP)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Part II: The Secret Of The Ooze
Friday The 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (2xLP)
Jacob's Ladder

Plus trinkets and discounts.

Pass.

Do they sell this stuff separately? I just want Henry.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Blast Fantasto posted:

Do they sell this stuff separately? I just want Henry.
Yeah, those will all be sold separately, though subscribers get super special secret color variants.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

CPL593H posted:

I was about to say that Midnight Vultures needs a reissue and that's a one fans have been yelling about for a while. I just looked it up and it appears that the master tapes for that were likely destroyed in a fire that took many iconic and historically important recordings and films among other things. So that's unfortunate. The previous LP sells for about 200 bucks. The Information and various EPs from the 90s are still MIA, though I don't expect to see the latter every again and who knows where those things are of if they were also destroyed in the fire.

There could be hope, Beck recently said most of his stuff is accounted for.

https://twitter.com/beck/status/1199853670700998656?s=21

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

Is yours measuring db? I usually listen to mine around 50 or 60 ...70 is really loving loud. I think it goes to 99 but I am afraid to take it there

quote:

I think it is pretty available outside vmp. Also it is a pretty terrible album so it should hit the discount bins in a couple months

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ballz posted:

There could be hope, Beck recently said most of his stuff is accounted for.

https://twitter.com/beck/status/1199853670700998656?s=21

This is still really bad and if you look at the list of other things lost in that fire it's downright tragic. Many of them are significant pieces of America's musical heritage.

sporklift posted:

Is yours measuring db? I usually listen to mine around 50 or 60 ...70 is really loving loud. I think it goes to 99 but I am afraid to take it there

I think it is pretty available outside vmp. Also it is a pretty terrible album so it should hit the discount bins in a couple months

Probably, to be honest I don't know but based on the article someone posted earlier I'd have to say the answer is yes.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

CPL593H posted:

This is still really bad and if you look at the list of other things lost in that fire it's downright tragic. Many of them are significant pieces of America's musical heritage.

Oh yeah the fire is an absolute tragedy, so much history forever lost. I was just showing Beck himself is downplaying his personal losses.

sporklift posted:

:wrong:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
anyone else have the Once Upon A Time In America soundtrack? does Hush sound like it's being played over an AM radio for everyone? I guess it's a stylistic choice?

also agreed the new Beck is good. except for the last track which grates on my nerves in a weird way. rest is great.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

The Walrus posted:

anyone else have the Once Upon A Time In America soundtrack? does Hush sound like it's being played over an AM radio for everyone? I guess it's a stylistic choice?

Yeah a few of the songs sound like they’re either actual rips from KHJ or have an AM radio effect thrown on them.

I don’t doubt some are actual tips, like Mrs. Robinson which is meshed with an actual Don Steele voice over.

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 7, 2019

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I seriously just spent about two-three minutes questioning my memory of Leone's work.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I havent been following this thread for a long time and on a whim googled Crow Soundtrack Vinyl and just found out it was an RSD exclusive that's now been sold by scalpers for $100+. Any idea how likely it will get a wider release? Is there a wider release and I just didn't look hard enough?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

The Walrus posted:

also agreed the new Beck is good. except for the last track which grates on my nerves in a weird way. rest is great.

Blast Fantasto posted:

Yeah a few of the songs sound like they’re either actual rips from KHJ or have an AM radio effect thrown on them.

I don’t doubt some are actual tips, like Mrs. Robinson which is meshed with an actual Don Steele voice over.

So at least the film soundtrack is actual factual radio recordings, according to the sound mixers:

quote:

In Quentin Tarantino’s latest film, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, re-recording mixer Michael Minkler and veteran music editor Jim Schultz were tasked with delivering an unrivalled audio production. As the film relied on well-known original radio broadcasts, songs and scores from the 1960s era in which it was set, the duo selected NUGEN Audio’s Halo Upmix plug-in to allow them to mix from stereo to 5.1/7.1/Dolby Atmos and back again.

“Quentin values the authenticity of his material, from the master recording through to the reproduction and re-recording, and how it’s used in the film,” said Schultz. “One of the most important things I think we do with Quentin is to stay true to the original source as close as we can and work it into the film in a way that serves the narrative and serves the authenticity of the recording.”

For Tarantino, the immersive nature of the film’s audio starts with the dialogue. “Everything has to be real on the set; he never loops any production dialogue,” said Minkler. “Whether it’s music or dialogue, we must always work from the original source, that’s the one that’s gold and you can’t change it. For this film, he had to lighten up on that quite a bit because there was so much music involved – at last count, we used 107 drops of music. Jim spent a tremendous amount of time using the original source, but then Quentin gave us the flexibility to experiment with newer vinyl, digital and broadcast recordings, with the caveat that it had to be the exact pitch and time as his original to ensure there was no disjointed audio. So, Jim spent a huge amount of time doing that.”

Halo proved extremely helpful in creating an exact pitch to the originals. “Some of these sources were mono or two-track stereo; nothing was five-channel or higher,” added Minkler. “We’re living in a 7.1 world now, so Once Upon a Time in Hollywood had to fill up the room, but only to the level that fits and sustains the flow of the film. Sometimes we stayed within three or five channels and other times we’d go up to seven channels or Atmos. In some cases, however we had to upmix to 7.1 from a mono source, which is a little trickier but with NUGEN’s Halo Upmix, we were able to do it successfully.”

Schultz says that his strongest takeaway from working with the NUGEN software is the flexibility that is coded into it. “Halo really gives the end-user the flexibility to dial-in the type of upmix they want,” he concluded. “That includes everything from center channel diffusion, to low-frequency loading and dispersion out of the center channel to width of the surround as well as the diffusion into the surround. For creative upmixing, there’s not a one-button set-it and forget-it process. We really need the tools to be able to dial it to our taste and intent, especially on a film like this. Halo Upmix was a welcomed addition to our workflow on Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and we made good use of it, too – nearly every featured song in the film went through the software.”

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

cosmicjim posted:

I havent been following this thread for a long time and on a whim googled Crow Soundtrack Vinyl and just found out it was an RSD exclusive that's now been sold by scalpers for $100+. Any idea how likely it will get a wider release? Is there a wider release and I just didn't look hard enough?

It was just an RSD exclusive (as opposed to a first release) which means a repress wasn't planned. That might change at some point, but for now it's the flippers who win. :|

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

cosmicjim posted:

A lot of times those prices tank after a while because no one will buy it.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Cemetry Gator posted:

The album is just under an hour in length, which means one of the sides has to be over 30 minutes long.

In the 90s, that might work (Bat Out of Hell 2 is over 70 and it's on one disc), but most mastering houses probably wouldn't do that anymore. The one time I looked, you had to sign a waiver of your sides went over a certain length, because they couldn't guarantee quality.

Edit: just to expand -

Cutting a long side requires making the music quieter. That means you also have to apply more compression to the sound - you want to keep it above the noise floor, but it can't be too loud because you need to cram the grooves in there. You'll also need to EQ it to try and make it play as easy as possible - so you're probably cutting the bass. The record is also more susceptible to damage.

You can get away with it if you're doing something like spoken word or stand up comedy, or if you're working with really quiet music.
Thanks for the info. I was vaguely aware that you didn't want to cram too much on a side but didn't really look into where the limit is.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Midnite Vultures loving rules. Beck is the tits

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Techmoan shows us how to dink a record. And how not to.

Trigger warning: HE TOUCHES THE VINYL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_vDGwfsQkM

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

CPL593H posted:

A lot of times those prices tank after a while because no one will buy it.

God I wish this would happen to the Scott Pilgrim video game soundtrack by Anamanaguchi.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Techmoan no, what did that copy of Self Control ever do to you :(

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Mister Kingdom posted:

Techmoan shows us how to dink a record. And how not to.

Trigger warning: HE TOUCHES THE VINYL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_vDGwfsQkM

Uh he touches more than one record so that should say "he touches the vinyls"

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
super long shot but if anyone has any Ugly Duckling releases on wax I would like to buy them from you.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have Eye on the Gold Chain 12”, mainly because the b-side shares the same name as my hometown. It’s about 3,000 miles away currently which doesn’t help you much though I’m afraid. Always a fun group.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
There is finally a reissue of Hefner's best album even if it's still like $40 but it beats paying $100 for the original pressing

https://wiaiwya.bandcamp.com/album/the-fidelity-wars

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
Preorders for Ship To Shore’s reissue of Summer Breeze are live:

https://www.shiptoshoremedia.com/store/albums/summer-breeze

Album owns a bunch, get it

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

trdn89 posted:

Preorders for Ship To Shore’s reissue of Summer Breeze are live:

https://www.shiptoshoremedia.com/store/albums/summer-breeze

Album owns a bunch, get it

Fair warning if this kind of thing bothers you, these were sourced from the same laser vinyl rip they used for the recent CD re releases which aren't as clean as they could be so there is audible clicks and crackling and whatnot. The masters were lost at some point

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

LITA has it as well

That shirt and slip mat own.

https://lightintheattic.net/releases/6241-summer-breeze-lp-slipmat-t-shirt-tote

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Odd question, but has anyone framed a slipmat? My wife got me a Banjo-Kazooie themed slipmat for my birthday and I like it so much I'd rather display it than keep it under a record.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Gotta stop ordering poo poo off Amazon no matter how cheap. I got two records delivered today, one in a cardboard mailer that was at one point taped shut with two pieces of scotch tape and the other in a fuckin bubble mailer

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I have the opposite problem, I keep getting records from Amazon in a large rectangular box that contains air paks and a standard cardboard LP box thing with the tear off strip. It`s a lot of paper.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
I'm currently selling a turntable on Craigslist and just had someone interested in buying it. I googled him to make sure he's not a serial killer, but it turns out he has reddit posts that are sexist and derogatory. Should I sell it to him or should i string him along to show him I don't approve of his behavior.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Chip McFuck posted:

Odd question, but has anyone framed a slipmat? My wife got me a Banjo-Kazooie themed slipmat for my birthday and I like it so much I'd rather display it than keep it under a record.

Just a thought, but maybe try finding a way to mount a dowel attached to a flat base on the wall of the right diameter so it was in the open (and you could rotate it if you wanted to since the art is designed like that?)

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

VladimirLeninpest posted:

I'm currently selling a turntable on Craigslist and just had someone interested in buying it. I googled him to make sure he's not a serial killer, but it turns out he has reddit posts that are sexist and derogatory. Should I sell it to him or should i string him along to show him I don't approve of his behavior.

Just sell it to him or don’t, honestly. Also googling someone on cl is kinda creepy, go meet and buy or sell the item and move on with your life

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

pwn posted:

Just sell it to him or don’t, honestly. Also googling someone on cl is kinda creepy, go meet and buy or sell the item and move on with your life

Yeah I have no idea why you'd look into a seller. If you're getting weird vibes from them, don't meet. Or meet in public somewhere.

Since you know now that they suck, meet them in public, use false contact info, and put a single sardine inside the turntable inside the mechanism so it slowly just starts stinking up their listening room.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

VladimirLeninpest posted:

Go to his house and kick him in the dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

i agree with all the forum posters