Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

thetedster posted:

The Cold War?

Wow, I have powerfully owned myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I got my SK to 20 on Green server and just completely burned out.

I'm so loving tired of this game. FINALLY AFTER 1000000 years I AMFRREEEE

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

moolchaba posted:

You say that now. Give it time... oh yes.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

moolchaba posted:

You said this the last two times you were free lmao

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
How long does P99's staff usually take to respond to help tickets? My wife and I want to play together but cant because of a block on multiple connections from the same IP to prevent multiboxing. She put in a ticket over the Thanksgiving holiday to see if they could make an exception for us and we still havent heard back from them. I did stop by 99's Discord and verify that they had the ticket and were aware of it so its not an issue with the way the ticket was submitted and they verified they had it. I get that the server is run by volunteers so stuff takes time, but jeez, its been a few weeks already with no sign of any activity on the server staff's part. Itd be nice for us to be able to play together.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Someone who has more current knowledge on turnaround can answer better, but this is not an unusual amount of time. IP exemptions historically have been done in batches about once a month, and any staff member can do them. Keep in mind that they're probably swamped because of green and that they all have poo poo going on over the holidays as well.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

moolchaba posted:

You probably just need to re-roll.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

CoffeeBooze posted:

How long does P99's staff usually take to respond to help tickets? My wife and I want to play together but cant because of a block on multiple connections from the same IP to prevent multiboxing. She put in a ticket over the Thanksgiving holiday to see if they could make an exception for us and we still havent heard back from them. I did stop by 99's Discord and verify that they had the ticket and were aware of it so its not an issue with the way the ticket was submitted and they verified they had it. I get that the server is run by volunteers so stuff takes time, but jeez, its been a few weeks already with no sign of any activity on the server staff's part. Itd be nice for us to be able to play together.

It seems completely random. When I did an IP exception I was approved literally 3 hours later.

Kurt Loadeater
May 15, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I decided to play around on Teal and Green. Do casuals actually group up and guild together on p99, or is it all just a decade of grudges and drug addicts ? I like the idea of no boxing, though. Also not to be a dick myself about the culture, but my first experience dealing with P99 was as a mac server player when IB started coming over.

Kurt Loadeater fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 8, 2019

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015

Kurt Loadeater posted:

I decided to play around on Teal and Green. Do casuals actually group up and guild together on p99, or is it all just a decade of grudges and drug addicts ? I like the idea of no boxing, though. Also not to be a dick myself about the culture, but my first experience dealing with P99 was as a mac server player when IB started coming over.

Hi Kurt loadeater, pretty much the entire leveling experience is casual groups, if you want it to be, It's something that p1999 has always been good at.

P1999 starts to suck when you want to raid, but it sounds like you're familiar with that side of things.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Kurt Loadeater posted:

Most of the game is grouping with Pugs. Most people are super chill and nice too (altho I have noticed more negativity on the new servers than blue).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CoffeeBooze posted:

Mine took literal months.

And then your IP will change because you have a dynamic residential internet and then you get to put in a new ticket.

It kinda blows.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

And then your IP will change because you have a dynamic residential internet and then you get to put in a new ticket.

It kinda blows.

If youve got a phone plan with unlimited data, EQ will work rather well on a tethered wifi connection for your second household player. This game was made for dial up, after all.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

It kinda blows.

IP exemptions do not rely on your IP address, they rely on the specific combination of accounts you are using to log in. This is a common misconception that the staff are instructed not to clear up for players because IP exemptions are highly abusable even when they're legit.

Also, part of the reason IP exemptions get handed out so slowly is that a high number of people who get them immediately try to use them to run two clients on the same machine. It's a big waste of time to process the exemptions and all the bans that inevitably follow.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

IP exemptions do not rely on your IP address, they rely on the specific combination of accounts you are using to log in. This is a common misconception that the staff are instructed not to clear up for players because IP exemptions are highly abusable even when they're legit.

Then they must occasionally disable them because I definitely got locked out after I'd had an exemption for awhile and was told to put in a ticket to have it update my IP

And that also means its not so much they are instructed not to clear it up but rather they are explicitly lying to people

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why am I enjoying this game more than any other pve focused mmorpg ever made? To any goons boredly browsing through threads looking for some poo poo to play, play this.

Really picks up once you get around level 8 and start grouping.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

soy posted:

Why am I enjoying this game more than any other pve focused mmorpg ever made? To any goons boredly browsing through threads looking for some poo poo to play, play this.

Really picks up once you get around level 8 and start grouping.

Cause eq1 owns baybeh

(just dont neglect your kid if you have a kid while you're playing so that the kid dies which i think actually happened, possibly more than once)

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
It has a cocaine addiction in its DNA. This game will outlast all of us.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Anyone have successful tips how to eliminate the ResetDeviceFailed() crash?

It used to happen like multiple times daily, then it was recommended that I start using WinEQ which seemed to stop it for awhile, but it's started happening again nearly as frequently. It loving sucks, because it always happens in the middle of a kite and kills me. Really squashing my desire to continue playing this when I regularly lose an hour of exp through no fault of my own.

To add, I'm not swapping back and forth between full-screen and windowed or anything like that, I always have WinEQ windowed. I alt-tab between browsers and stuff, but it always seems to happen while EQ has focus and I'm pushing random keys.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Gray Matter posted:

It used to happen like multiple times daily, then it was recommended that I start using WinEQ which seemed to stop it for awhile, but it's started happening again nearly as frequently. It loving sucks, because it always happens in the middle of a kite and kills me. Really squashing my desire to continue playing this when I regularly lose an hour of exp through no fault of my own.

To add, I'm not swapping back and forth between full-screen and windowed or anything like that, I always have WinEQ windowed. I alt-tab between browsers and stuff, but it always seems to happen while EQ has focus and I'm pushing random keys.

Are you somehow hitting windows key L? Can you try and see if that crashes you?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Relayer posted:

(just dont neglect your kid if you have a kid while you're playing so that the kid dies which i think actually happened, possibly more than once)

wonder what they dropped

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

soy posted:

wonder what they dropped

Not worth the faction hit

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Meatgrinder posted:

Are you somehow hitting windows key L? Can you try and see if that crashes you?
There's no way, I have left hand on wasd and right hand on the mouse. I did try it though, and didn't crash.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Gray Matter posted:

There's no way, I have left hand on wasd and right hand on the mouse. I did try it though, and didn't crash.

Bah, ok. Could be that your native resolution and EQs resolution are different. That way it would crash trying to 'reset' to a 'correct' resolution. It shouldn't happen though since you are playing with WinEQ.

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015

Gray Matter posted:

This happened to me over and over on green, never had it on blue. I tried everything to get it to work on my desktop without success. Eventually I installed p1999 on my laptop and that worked fine.

Desktop PC had a 2080, and the laptop a 1050ti.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Thus far I think I've only gotten it on the login screen (with maybe a couple exceptions), but if I leave the game at the login screen for a while I'm basically guaranteed to get it. I do have the game set to a lower resolution than my monitor, so I guess that could be the culprit, but :shrug:

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
I play on other Emus and there seems to be a theme where 2080s are crashing. I haven't seen any resolution yet.

Hic Sunt Dracones
Apr 3, 2004
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.
Is anyone else playing on Teal? I made the swap from Green pretty early one night when there were 70 people in Oasis fighting over everything the second it popped, and I've been happy with the switch. I know everyone loves to complain about the community being a bunch of unemployed, drug-addicted poopsockers, but my experience has been overwhelmingly positive; I can recall maybe three incidents of witnessing irrational manchild freakouts since I started up in October. The forums suggest that Green's main raiding guild is a much bigger pain for the server (controlling all good farm camps, insane rules for raiders, etc.) than is Teal's, but of course I haven't been on Green to experience that and acknowledge it may just be typical forums whining. Most people on Teal seem chill and sociable, whether soloing or in groups.

I do wish the devs would take a serious critical look at the ZEMs, because there's solid evidence that they aren't truly classic, anyway, and regardless the result is that most people seem to feel locked into a small handful of zones like Upper Guk, Unrest, and High Keep. Even so, I did most of my leveling soloing guards in various outdoor and city zones without those favorable ZEMs, and I didn't find it intolerably slow. There remains something weirdly compelling about the EQ grind.

I'm having a little bit of a "now what?" feeling after getting my main character (a troll shaman) into a good place in terms of gear and financial stability. An alt is probably the answer; I'm leaning toward one of the hybrids but haven't decided.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Hic Sunt Dracones posted:

Is anyone else playing on Teal? I made the swap from Green pretty early one night when there were 70 people in Oasis fighting over everything the second it popped, and I've been happy with the switch. I know everyone loves to complain about the community being a bunch of unemployed, drug-addicted poopsockers, but my experience has been overwhelmingly positive; I can recall maybe three incidents of witnessing irrational manchild freakouts since I started up in October. The forums suggest that Green's main raiding guild is a much bigger pain for the server (controlling all good farm camps, insane rules for raiders, etc.) than is Teal's, but of course I haven't been on Green to experience that and acknowledge it may just be typical forums whining. Most people on Teal seem chill and sociable, whether soloing or in groups.

I do wish the devs would take a serious critical look at the ZEMs, because there's solid evidence that they aren't truly classic, anyway, and regardless the result is that most people seem to feel locked into a small handful of zones like Upper Guk, Unrest, and High Keep. Even so, I did most of my leveling soloing guards in various outdoor and city zones without those favorable ZEMs, and I didn't find it intolerably slow. There remains something weirdly compelling about the EQ grind.

I'm having a little bit of a "now what?" feeling after getting my main character (a troll shaman) into a good place in terms of gear and financial stability. An alt is probably the answer; I'm leaning toward one of the hybrids but haven't decided.

Yeah I am on Teal. Never really played on Green and only very casually on Teal; I think my druid is like 25. People are nice and competent, mostly. I get invited to groups way more than when I ever leveled on Blue and everyone looks like they just died, so that's nice. There's some rulelawyering rear end cunts about but no more or less than on Blue, which I am also still very casually active on.

You can't really vet things for not being classic; poo poo will never be fully classic, it can't be. It is fun starting over, though.

If I were to play anything as an alt it'd be a cleric or paladin, definitely a dwarf.

Hic Sunt Dracones
Apr 3, 2004

Meatgrinder posted:

You can't really vet things for not being classic; poo poo will never be fully classic, it can't be. It is fun starting over, though.

Oh I understand. This is a free server run by volunteers, and it does a marvelous job recreating the overall experience of classic EQ to the extent that it's possible, and I'm grateful for all of that. I'm certainly not going to go post thousand-word "Well, technically..." screeds on the P99 forums.

It's just that sometimes I do find it odd the things the P99 devs consider, "the design and timeline of classic" vs. "obvious bugs and mistakes" vs. "non-classic features that are implemented for other reasons." For example, Kedge Keep should be completely empty right now (save, I think, some random low level fish for ambiance?), and that's very easy to confirm via the patch notes about a year after release in which the Verant devs say they stuck mobs and loot into Kedge. But on Green/Teal, the servers launched with Kedge in this later fully populated state. And yet, just because some jackass on the forums proved that mages were released with unintentionally broken research combines for all pets after level 34, the devs carefully went through and removed all high-level pet spells to ensure mages would get the classic experience of being released broken, even though I can't imagine anyone arguing that it was ever an "intended" part of the game design that one class should be missing its defining feature after mid-levels. The non-classic ZEMs are even odder: they're both not classic and demonstrably bad for the game, yet they're left unchanged with an ambivalent shrug.

(Again, I'll disclaim that I quite like P99, and I don't think I could do a better job overall, etc.)

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Yeah, ZEMs are a pox. There are a huge number of zones that just don't get much or any use because their ZEMs are terrible, and the high ZEM zones are obnoxiously overpopulated.

I'm not a hardcore traditionalist though. I'd go so far as to give everyone free limited binding and probably even gating, because those are basic quality of life things, and half of the classes missing them "because they're not full casters" is kinda bullshit. I'm worse than Hitler and should go play babby's latest MMORPG, I know.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I went deep into splitpaw with a group the other day, it was a ton of fun and we had basically the whole zone to ourselves. Made nearly a full level. I feel like the amount of time you spend sitting around LFG in the popular zones with high ZEM's is offset by just going to an underused zone and xping there instead.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
frankly I love the lack of quality of life poo poo, it makes the game painful and therefore cool and good and rewarding if you can actually make it anywhere

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Dick Burglar posted:

Yeah, ZEMs are a pox. There are a huge number of zones that just don't get much or any use because their ZEMs are terrible, and the high ZEM zones are obnoxiously overpopulated.

I'm not a hardcore traditionalist though. I'd go so far as to give everyone free limited binding and probably even gating, because those are basic quality of life things, and half of the classes missing them "because they're not full casters" is kinda bullshit. I'm worse than Hitler and should go play babby's latest MMORPG, I know.

I loving love that you can buy gate potions for over a thousand plat, and they can still collapse.

Hic Sunt Dracones
Apr 3, 2004

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I loving love that you can buy gate potions for over a thousand plat, and they can still collapse.

I have a strange fondness for this kind of thing, too. I guess it's the commitment to (harsh) world-building first and gameplay second. In this world, gate is sometimes unreliable, regardless of what you have to spend to cast it. It's like how the effects of invis and invis. vs undead potions can randomly drop (sometimes in the first couple seconds) just like the casted versions.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I always contemplate coming back to P99, then see this poo poo and remember why I don't. There's something to be said about the nostalgia factor, but I don't have the bullshit tolerance that I had when I was a lovely teenager and all of the things that I'm nostalgic for are heavily tempered by all of the things that actively turn me off. I wish Shards of Dalaya had picked up steam because (at least at low level) that seemed to be the right balance of having a similar feel to old EQ while going it's own direction in some interesting ways and having some nice quality of life changes over old EQ for the foggy old fucks like myself.

I don't know. I think my solution might be that Vanguard emulator if that ever gets more feature complete since that still had that everquesty flavor while having those quality of life changes for the better. Problem being is that progress there seems to be incredibly slow going because it was never as extensively documented and datamined as old EQ or WoW was. The codebase was also incredibly janky to begin with too. If they lean into the skid though, they potentially have the space to do SoD style custom content using the game's classes and mechanics, which could be interesting in and of itself.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Did they ever smooth out catching up to the pack in Shards of Dalaya? Last time I tried to get into it I had literal years of grinding and whatnot ahead of me if I wanted to do anything even remotely current

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Shards of Dalaya was cool and good.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I played a shaman up to like level 58 on shards of dalaya, and this was about a decade ago, and even then getting to any of the endgame content felt hopeless. Although the content I did get to do was quite fun and good and I was poised to not like it because it's "custom" but that feeling completely evaporated once I started playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

cmdrk posted:

Shards of Dalaya was cool and good.

I really liked it. I played a bit on it, then quit and went back way later and it was dead in the water. I liked how it took the original setting and then did other things with it; it gave me the opportunity to relive the experience of discovery that I had in EQ in 1999. The idea of items leveling up with you was also very much my thing.