Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Retro Futurist posted:

I remember when my wife walked in while I was hunting an orca in Black Flag, that was an awkward thing to explain

I can't count how many times I've been playing a game where I've had to kill a wolf or attack dog, and my wife has heard the yelp of pain from another room.

"What the gently caress was that? What did you do to that dog?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I'm not 100% on this but I think in Death Stranding as you approach 0 mls when urinating the meter slows down and speeds up a few times, just like real life

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I'm not 100% on this but I think in Death Stranding as you approach 0 mls when urinating the meter slows down and speeds up a few times, just like real life

most people don't have piss HUDS irl

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The flow also dribbles

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I haven't played Death Stranding yet (something which I plan to remedy soon), but is there seriously a pissing mechanic? I've played lots of other post-apoc games with hunger/fatigue/dehydration meters, but I don't think I've ever had to worry about how badly my character had to take a leak, or drop the kids off at the pool.

If pissing is a thing, does this mean you can do it whenever or wherever? Kill a guy, and piss on the corpse? Sneak into somebody's house and piss on the carpet? Write your name in the snow?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There is no need to piss, nothing happens if you don't piss, but you should piss whenever possible because it leaves mushrooms that grow the more players piss there

edit: You cannot piss with other people around, Sam is gun-shy and will not pull out the hog if others are present. He will tell you as much and get mad at you if you keep trying to make him unleash the beast. Writing your name in the snow is absolutely possible.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 08:50 on Dec 7, 2019

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Olaf The Stout posted:

I just wanna say I thought it was neat in the first game to go through the entire game with a bow, and then in the final fight in a scripted event you get two pistols, and dual wield them and blast the last boss away. That was a pretty nicely constructed moment and I appreciated the effort into the setup and payoff there.

It was a legitimately great way to portray her finally becoming the tomb raider. Then she spent two more games still finally becoming the tomb raider.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

The Zombie Guy posted:

I can't count how many times I've been playing a game where I've had to kill a wolf or attack dog, and my wife has heard the yelp of pain from another room.

"What the gently caress was that? What did you do to that dog?"

My Mom got real disconcerted when she came into the room and saw a big ol’ hammer and sickle on the Red Alert 2 pause screen.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

haveblue posted:

It was a legitimately great way to portray her finally becoming the tomb raider. Then she spent two more games still finally becoming the tomb raider.

The series will cap itself off with Lara having breast enlargement and polygonization surgery, for she will realize the ultimate tombs are the great pyramids of Egypt, and she should show her devotion by carrying them as her burden

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

CJacobs posted:

There is no need to piss, nothing happens if you don't piss, but you should piss whenever possible because it leaves mushrooms that grow the more players piss there

edit: You cannot piss with other people around, Sam is gun-shy and will not pull out the hog if others are present. He will tell you as much and get mad at you if you keep trying to make him unleash the beast. Writing your name in the snow is absolutely possible.

Also if the mushrooms grow big enough, they start spawning cryptobiotes which are the game's version of food which can then be replenished by even more piss.

In other words, you are eating your own piss.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You can also wait until you are in a private room with a toilet to pee. This will give you pee grenades. These will not kill BTs, but can be used to make them wander from their current position.

Then under their breath they will say ”dude, what the fricking hell did you just do, so not cool”.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Petit Gregory posted:

In other words, you are eating your own piss.

Mierenneuker posted:

This will give you pee grenades.

Yeah it's a Kojima game, so none of this surprises me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What if I told you there are also poop grenades.

Actually that's probably even less surprising.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Yeah, :darksouls: already did that one.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

CJacobs posted:

What if I told you there are also poop grenades.

Actually that's probably even less surprising.

So it's an Okami remake?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The Zombie Guy posted:

Yeah, :darksouls: already did that one.

You didn't "craft" them in dark souls though

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Where the hell did the dung in those dung pies come from anyway? I'm sure if you read and cross-reference item descriptions we will find the answer.

quote:

Dried fecal waste material, moist on the inside.

Throw at enemy to inflict toxin build-up, but also ups your own toxicity.

Though the stench makes it difficult to carry on one's person, inflicting toxins on an enemy yields high damage over time. Perhaps some Undead have fond memories of waste. Or, perhaps not

quote:

"Oh to savor the sweet pungency but once more..."

quote:

Dried fecal waste material, marked by a long plant stalk that was not properly digested.

Throw behind at enemies to inflict toxin build-up, but also ups your own toxicity.

Strictly speaking, this consists of different material than the dung pie, but waste is waste, no sense in splitting hairs.

Feeling nostalgic about my toxic turds.

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 11:12 on Dec 7, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The big club barbarian guys drop them almost 100% when they die so I'm pretty sure your character is literally just taking the poo poo out of their asses and throwing it at other enemies. Anything it takes to survive man

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Is a man not entitled to the poo poo of his rear end? “No,” says the man in Blighttown, “it belongs to the poor.” “No,” says the man in Irithyll, “it belongs to God.” “No,” says the man in Anor Londo, “it belongs to everyone.”

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

One of the many, many fun things about Dark Souls PvP was that Dung Pies had a splash effect that would go through walls and floors. If I invaded somebody, and they had gotten into a really good defensive spot, I could hang back and pelt the general vicinity with Dung Pies until Toxin hit, then just wave as their HP drained away. It was also great against players who would turtle behind Greatshields. 2 or 3 hits is usually all it would take. Goddamn, Dark Souls invading was some of the best fun I've ever had with a video game.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Dr Christmas posted:

My Mom got real disconcerted when she came into the room and saw a big ol’ hammer and sickle on the Red Alert 2 pause screen.

Same, but strict evangelical house and Diablo II pentagrams and titties, with severe consequences.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

haveblue posted:

Yeah, I brought this up in the other thread but the only dual pistols you see in Rise are as an "artifact" in Croft Manor and are solely a reference to the first game.

I'm going to take a wild guess that Shadow still does not feature dual pistols.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I kind of liked that Lara was a total lunatic in the second game, at least early on. She meets a relatively friendly face in a native in a prison, and is basically just "I don't give a gently caress mate I'm here to grab that artifact and if you get in my way I'll kill you myself." "You won't make it on your own" "You have no idea how far I've come so far..." In general I like that she needs her friends to keep her human. When the bad guy in the third game claims that Jonah's dead to mess with her, she blows up his entire everything. Whoops, shouldn't have said that mate, it literally only hurt you.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 12:47 on Dec 7, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
That's immediately after the reveal that Ana was working for Trinity all along (and they try the ole fake prisoner trick), so she's not in a trusting mood after all that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

John Murdoch posted:

I'm going to take a wild guess that Shadow still does not feature dual pistols.

It does not.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Lara is in "kill'em all" mode from the start in Rise, which is honestly pretty great.

CJacobs posted:

PYF little things in games: There is no need to piss

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something I like about Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones is that it's boss fights are mainly puzzles that you have to figure out, compared to warrior within's skill-based and pretty hard and fun bosses, and sands of time's pretty crap "Just a normal enemy that blocks more" excuses for fights.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Also the grenades you get from pissing is EX Grenade No. 1. Doing plops gets you a No. 2.

There's so many little things that are so dumb. Like you are a porter called Sam Porter Bridges and you deliver stuff for a company called Bridges. At one point you get an order to deliver some beer from a farm to a city. The style of beer you deliver is a porter.

Some of Hideo Kojima's stuff is so juvenile. It's really interesting, it's like he's not precious about it. He's capable of writing some really high concept stuff but he'll also write the dumbest stuff possible.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

PYF little things in games:

CJacobs posted:

The flow also dribbles

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
People eschew traditional family names for what they do in Death Stranding. Take a look at the surnames of your contacts for the various Bridges locations.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

There's so many little things that are so dumb. Like you are a porter called Sam Porter Bridges and you deliver stuff for a company called Bridges. At one point you get an order to deliver some beer from a farm to a city. The style of beer you deliver is a porter.

now this is how you underline your main theme when you're writing fiction lol.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I keep forgetting that I want to throw a piss grenade at MULEs to see what happens.

Non-juvenile little thing I like in Death Stranding: the delivery of floating rock samples that comes in two large crates and weighs 200 grams.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

People eschew traditional family names for what they do in Death Stranding. Take a look at the surnames of your contacts for the various Bridges locations.

Loads of traditional family names are job titles in the real world though. Potter, Cooper, Hunter, Butcher etc

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Necrothatcher posted:

Loads of traditional family names are job titles in the real world though. Potter, Cooper, Hunter, Butcher etc

How long until we all get given names that are our most prominent characteristic with "man" stuck on the end?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Necrothatcher posted:

And, you know, Porter

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Hello, I am Wallace Titman. Named for my father.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Please, call me Steve. Mr Shitposter was my father

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

E:nm wrong thread

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Necrothatcher posted:

This is all well and good until you get to the wind farm and the dude's name is literally Jake Wind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

haveblue posted:

How long until we all get given names that are our most prominent characteristic with "man" stuck on the end?

I'd say around at least 20XX. Then in 21XX we all develop fursonas.