Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah I love the passive heatmap on poe.ninja. Normally I have some idea of what skills/approach I want to use, fiddle around with the filters to get other people doing that, and heatmap the passive tree to see where the good passives are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

anyone else claim your free twitch prime mtx and not get them?

e: they just popped up after i went and poked around my account page on the poe website. didnt change anything or re-link my account, just visited the page.

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 7, 2019

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Awesome! posted:

anyone else claim your free twitch prime mtx and not get them?

Yes

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Vasudus posted:

When I make a build in PoB, I never fill it out completely with gear. I put in the weapon I'm using (if planning an attack based build), whatever other items are mission critical to the build functioning, and all the proper gem links. Then I make sure that everything is checked off properly in the calculation tab and fill out the tree to level 95. If I can't reasonably get 175% life or so with what I know to be an appropriate level of dps nodes, I adjust as necessary. Very very rarely will my build plans have more than 2-3 items in them unless I have all the gear prebought, which does happen sometimes.

If the character I'm building is meant to be a league starter, I always fill out the gear slots just to see if I hit the resists I want to hit. I decide which uniques are integral to the build, then fill up all the other slots with basic rares. Typically I throw 60% res on helmets, gloves, amulets and shields, ~45% on boots, and ~85% on rings. If I'm comfortable with my resists, I can do things like swap out boots for uniques with more movement speed, or load up on uniques that give me better damage output.

If you've played the game enough that you can just eyeball it, you obviously don't need to do this, but for me it's a good way to keep from adding too many uniques to my build.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Bought a weta to get the harlequin leap slam effect

not a bad

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Got the Harlequin hat.

Honestly, pretty good use of 5 points.

E: Just saw the "Wrangler" and "Wild" sets, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Dance Officer posted:

If the character I'm building is meant to be a league starter, I always fill out the gear slots just to see if I hit the resists I want to hit. I decide which uniques are integral to the build, then fill up all the other slots with basic rares. Typically I throw 60% res on helmets, gloves, amulets and shields, ~45% on boots, and ~85% on rings. If I'm comfortable with my resists, I can do things like swap out boots for uniques with more movement speed, or load up on uniques that give me better damage output.

If you've played the game enough that you can just eyeball it, you obviously don't need to do this, but for me it's a good way to keep from adding too many uniques to my build.

I just look at the resists I get from the tree and my bandit choices. 15% from Alira and usually 13-16% from the tree typically means I'll have a relatively easy time. If for whatever reason I'm doing a Scion, it's insanely easy (36% from meeks, 15% from Alira, then 13-16% from the tree).

Every now and then I've got half my gear filled with uniques and go Kill All and then that's bad times. But I don't do those for league starters.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Alira is always my choice for first character. Resists are always good and her bonuses are good for most builds. Two skill points has almost no effect when leveling

Chalk is Cheap
Mar 29, 2005

You know, Maine has a really cool underground hip-hop scene...
Can I get a a guild invite before the leageue start? character name Kreftan.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I did some digging at CI Builds and there's two philosophies I'm seeing: 1) gently caress it go straight into shield, don't spend any life, turn on CI after you grab Zealot top right thing (health Regen converts to shield Regen). 2) follow this ED/Contagon build order then spend 40 regrets to respec.

Anybody got any ideas about this? Around the time to map I usually have about 10-20 regret orbs kickin around.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Always Alira first, its an easy choice.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I think it depends on how experienced you are at PoE and whether the character is a league starter or is inheriting wealth from your stash later in the league.

If you’re new and still learning mechanics or don’t have a stash of currency/ES gear ready to go, I’d be more likely to start as hybrid and swap over later.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Oh man... testing for sanitization on cross platform is gonna be fun lol

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Have the people saying two points isn’t a big deal actually played poe

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

two points isn't a big deal while levelling

two more points at level 94 is a different story

read better

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

whydirt posted:

I think it depends on how experienced you are at PoE and whether the character is a league starter or is inheriting wealth from your stash later in the league.

If you’re new and still learning mechanics or don’t have a stash of currency/ES gear ready to go, I’d be more likely to start as hybrid and swap over later.

Yeah, this will be league start. I'm probably going full sidequests to get the regret orbs. Plan is to convert, around early maps, to Deaths Oath / Aura. I'm fixated on the CI switch to solve the self damage problem. I haven't overlapped the two PoB spheres, but it shouldn't be more than 20 right?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Two points are a big deal while leveling, and picking them or alira is actually a real choice.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You only really need health and resists for the start. If you can't finish the story because you dont have enough skill points to do dmg, lol. And around 94 you could just get 2 more levels. 2 more skill points at the end of the game are kinda meh who cares at that point. Sure might add 1% more hp/es or 1% dmg but who cares. The least interesting part about playing this game is trying to get more gem slots on the passive tree.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 7, 2019

J
Jun 10, 2001

Most of my builds I kill the bandits and don't really find myself having trouble with resists. Throw random essences or alchs on some two stone rings and use the crafting bench to slap resists on my other rares and that's enough to cover the campaign. Usually I can walk right into maps too but if I've had egregiously bad luck then I'll pick up a few things to fix resists going into maps but I usually don't even have to do that.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Getting your key keystones and notables earlier owns and in trade league it’s trivial to get res capped

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

please knock Mom! posted:

Two points are a big deal while leveling, and picking them or alira is actually a real choice.

tell that to the speedrunners who say that 1-2 points has no significant effect on speed

15% all res meanwhile makes a big difference. most people aren't pathing into defensive nodes

please knock Mom! posted:

Getting your key keystones and notables earlier owns and in trade league it’s trivial to get res capped

its trivial to get res capped when you're a day behind everyone else.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Tenzarin posted:

You only really need health and resists for the start. If you can't finish the story because you dont have enough skill points to do dmg, lol. And around 94 you could just get 2 more levels. 2 more skill points at the end of the game are kinda meh who cares at that point. Sure might add 1% more hp/es or 1% dmg but who cares. The least interesting part about playing this game is trying to get more gem slots on the passive tree.

lmao

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

KirbyKhan posted:

I did some digging at CI Builds and there's two philosophies I'm seeing: 1) gently caress it go straight into shield, don't spend any life, turn on CI after you grab Zealot top right thing (health Regen converts to shield Regen). 2) follow this ED/Contagon build order then spend 40 regrets to respec.

Anybody got any ideas about this? Around the time to map I usually have about 10-20 regret orbs kickin around.

Play it as pure life until you can hit comfortable ES, say 4-5k minimum.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Locator posted:

That sword is probably worth more than my entire net worth for the league.

yeah, which is why im saying, imagine how ridiculous it'll be when even the base is really rare and not just the mods/crafted mods

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vasudus posted:

I've made all my builds for many years now. It's not something I would recommend to new players unless you're doing something incredibly simple (like most cyclone builds) because there's a whole assortment of mechanical quirks that may or may not be necessary to know depending on what skill or ascendancy you pick. Likewise, people inexperienced in making builds might also go in the completely opposite direction and be non-stop gear interactions and gimmicks and end up with something terrible; not that there's anything wrong with gimmick builds but if you don't know what you're getting you're ripe for disappointment. There's a fine line to consider that really only comes from trial and error, and new players might find themselves burnt out if all they do is cook up their own poo poo to varying degrees of mediocrity.

That said, poe.ninja is something I reference all the time when considering what to make. It lets me see what common meta interactions there are that I might not be considering (like for example this league when people spontaneously discovered that The Stampede was fantastic) and also lets me determine what to stray away from because of cost concerns. Sorting by DPS is usually a terrible idea however since the snapshotting system they use can be easily gamed.

When I make a build in PoB, I never fill it out completely with gear. I put in the weapon I'm using (if planning an attack based build), whatever other items are mission critical to the build functioning, and all the proper gem links. Then I make sure that everything is checked off properly in the calculation tab and fill out the tree to level 95. If I can't reasonably get 175% life or so with what I know to be an appropriate level of dps nodes, I adjust as necessary. Very very rarely will my build plans have more than 2-3 items in them unless I have all the gear prebought, which does happen sometimes.

otoh, make your own builds early and often, but ask a lot of advice and look at build guides as a reference in an attempt to understand why instead of just stacking damage with no life or the less common but still funny completely life and stats only

you wont have fun in maps or with kitava but you cant really go wrong just stacking damage forever and ignoring everything else, especially if your skill is a fairly simple one

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Larry Parrish posted:

otoh, make your own builds early and often, but ask a lot of advice and look at build guides as a reference in an attempt to understand why instead of just stacking damage with no life or the less common but still funny completely life and stats only

you wont have fun in maps or with kitava but you cant really go wrong just stacking damage forever and ignoring everything else, especially if your skill is a fairly simple one

this isn't the best advice

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Just pick a skill or a skill type you like (scourge arrow, rain of arrows, cyclone, just 'mines') and use a build guide which has a bunch of positive replies, maybe ask in the discord whether it's a good one if you're not sure. Then tinker with it and see what works and what doesn't work. Having a workable build skeleton is way more convenient than having to come up with everything from scratch.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I entirely support many making builds in path of building. Firstly it saves you from playing path of exile and its faster and does not destroy time itself! You can spin up a 90 character in a fraction of the time to do it in the game and you can see if it works. If you like what you made then go play it in the game because you atleast have some proof you can kill kitava.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/1203385692304199680

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

So a friend of mine hates me and roped me into this game and now I'm hooked. I'm really enjoying it so far. I have a level 37 witch and I feel like I have an understanding of a lot of thing but there are a few things I'm still iffy on.

While leveling, what kind should I be looking for in gear? I'm still wearing things that I got like 15 levels ago because they had 3 connected gem slots or had gem slots for gems I wanted to use. I haven't had any problems fighting enemies so I think I'm looking at the right thing.

How are legendary items and such handled in this game? Are they just attached to a general loot table and just randomly drop from containers, bosses, ect. or can you farm certain bosses for an increased chance of certain legendary items?

As a new player, are there thing I absolutely should avoid doing? I know about the Exalted and Chaos orbs. I'm getting around to watching some newbie videos and I understand how valuable those are.
As a new player is there anything I absolutely should do? I haven't touched the prophecies yet despite having silver coins for them. I have to look them up because I don't have any idea what they are. I also got one of those item filters.

I think I'll drop ten bux on the game to start. The currency tab is looking mighty attractive right now. I can't even imagine how much currency players who have been at this game for a couple of years have.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I must resist the urge

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Most stuff right now drops from everything you kill. It's gated by itemlevel, mostly. There's a few exceptions, but don't worry about them for now.

For gear, you want to have one link-item. Preferably not a weapon slot or boots slot. Basically your biggest link which still suits your main skill wrt colors.

Your weapon slot is responsible for a lot of your damage while leveling, whether you're melee, ranged, or using spells. You don't want to focus links here because it'll make upgrading more difficult. Your boots are responsible for your movespeed. You want to put the item with the most movement speed% in here, unless you have an item with slightly less speed but a ton of other useful stats.

Aside from that, you want resists until you're capped to lightning/cold/fire, and life. Don't worry about chaos resistance for now. Eventually you want to get it as high as possible, but you can coast by on -60% for a really long while.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Jimbot posted:

So a friend of mine hates me and roped me into this game and now I'm hooked. I'm really enjoying it so far. I have a level 37 witch and I feel like I have an understanding of a lot of thing but there are a few things I'm still iffy on.

While leveling, what kind should I be looking for in gear? I'm still wearing things that I got like 15 levels ago because they had 3 connected gem slots or had gem slots for gems I wanted to use. I haven't had any problems fighting enemies so I think I'm looking at the right thing.

Generally you have a few slots where you just care about having the right sockets to support your main skill and maybe a few auras, etc. The rest you try to look for upgrades in life and resists to stay as close to 75% fire/cold/lightning as possible. For boots, I prioritize movement speed over everything.

Jimbot posted:

How are legendary items and such handled in this game? Are they just attached to a general loot table and just randomly drop from containers, bosses, ect. or can you farm certain bosses for an increased chance of certain legendary items?

It's a mix. There is a generic pool, which the majority of uniques are in. But there are also endgame boss encounters each with their own exclusive loot tables. Repeating a boss kill just to have a better chance at items overall is not a thing.

Jimbot posted:

As a new player, are there thing I absolutely should avoid doing? I know about the Exalted and Chaos orbs. I'm getting around to watching some newbie videos and I understand how valuable those are.
As a new player is there anything I absolutely should do? I haven't touched the prophecies yet despite having silver coins for them. I have to look them up because I don't have any idea what they are. I also got one of those item filters.

Don't use any price check scripts to evaluate rare (yellow) items.

Use silver coins liberally once you're done with the story, it's worth it. Remember you can seal them to make space if you have ones that are hard to trigger.

Jimbot posted:

I think I'll drop ten bux on the game to start. The currency tab is looking mighty attractive right now. I can't even imagine how much currency players who have been at this game for a couple of years have.

Currency and map tabs are very high QoL, you should do it. And probably at least one premium/quad tab to sell items.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Is the currency tab just for standard? I’ve only played Blight and have no idea how people got these.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Larry Parrish posted:

Purely stacking damage only works if you're good enough to dodge everything, even in the story.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
No, you get one of every tab you've purchased in every league.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
I was looking at Nebuloch Cyclone on Poe Ninja and I'm real confused as to why more people have taken Diamond Skin than go through Strong Arm. Is the increased armor and the tiny bit of movement speed that much better?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Jimbot posted:

What I typically go for is 2-3 armour pieces that are 4-linked, with the appropriate socket colours, usually the helmet, gloves and body armour. Main focus for boots is movement speed, for rings and amulets it's resists and life in that order of importance.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Jimbot posted:

If you are on PC be sure to join the goon chat /global 5555

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Xeras posted:

I was looking at Nebuloch Cyclone on Poe Ninja and I'm real confused as to why more people have taken Diamond Skin than go through Strong Arm. Is the increased armor and the tiny bit of movement speed that much better?

Dual Nebuloch Jugg has most slots filled with uniques, so maxing resists pre-endurance charge can be problematic, especially if you want to get a reasonably cheap -mana cost chest with life.