Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

TeenageArchipelago posted:

How does roar/whirlwind/ect work in regards to online competitive? Because it is 3v3, where you have a team of 6 but can only use the first three you send out, right? Like, if I turn 1 whirlwind, does it pull out a Pokemon that they now have to use?

e: or am I remembering wrong and you choose which three you are using at the start?

Both sides choose 3 Pokemon to use, and that’s all they get for the battle. Moves that force a switch swap between those 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Squats posted:

Updated my trainer card after beating the game and completing the dex:

0000 0007 2FND P6
I want an actual Poliwag shirt. That shirt owns, Im jealous.

I also kind of want a Ziggy Zagoon-dust tattoo or something, I love the new look and dont even @ me.

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 8, 2019

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah I keep forgetting to share mine.

0000 0002 143B LT

I really wish we could get higher def versions of our cards. Mine looks so pixelly. Looks great on the TV though.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
so I was looking through some "totally historically accurate, promise" dinosaur skeletons, and while I love draco/arcto-zolt/vish, I almost wish they'd been even more ridiculous, because honestly

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
I can't believe they couldn't be bothered enough to make a victory road or final dungeon in this. It feels more like sailing down a lazy tube river than engaging in a game :(

Walking down the farm path at the beginning of the game and overlooking the wide farmland was more exciting than getting to the final city which had all the struggle of fighting three trainers with one to two pokemon each in the way.

EatinCake fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 7, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

EatinCake posted:

I can't believe they couldn't be bothered enough to make a victory road or final dungeon in this. It feels more like sailing down a lazy tube river than engaging in a game :(

Walking down the farm path at the beginning of the game and overlooking the wide farmland was more exciting than getting to the final city which had all the struggle of fighting three trainers with one to two pokemon each in the way.

They couldn't bother with a lot of things in this game. That point you really shouldn't be surprised you just take a train to the league.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the last frame of reference I have is red/blue but I've gotta say that the whole final four/victory road thing was fine and all but it was just repetitive grinding for 99% of the post-game and way overrated nowadays. If we had it in swish nobody would participate because its whole purpose was exp grinding and now there's a way easier way to do that

I have a loooot of opinions about how the post-game could be better in swish but bringing back what is basically the championship rematches +1 fight ain't one of them

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Considering how big of a deal this league challenge is supposed to be in Galar (being the equivalent of a sports match that most of the region's culture revolves around), having the endgame in the biggest stadium in the biggest city in Galar makes more sense then putting it behind a massive obstacle-filled maze full of dangerous creatures like Victory Road in other games.

But it's kind of an issue that's been building since the jump to 3D. Dungeons themselves are becoming less complex to navigate, becoming simple halls or just a single room in some cases.

I'd estimate that 80% of the world design went into making that wild area.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Zuzie posted:

But it's kind of an issue that's been building since the jump to 3D. Dungeons themselves are becoming less complex to navigate, becoming simple halls or just a single room in some cases.

I'd still take this over BW2's dungeon design of five minute straight line main path and sprawling 20+ minute side path that leads nowhere because you don't have the ability to progress by the time it's mandatory to get there, while you can't really distinguish which is which until it's too late.

It would be nice to have longer dungeons again, though

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.
Well I've been doing some last minute mon training for the Galar Beginnings competition, thought to myself "Oh I should train up a Tsareena."

About thirty eggs in, trying for some good IVs:

I named her Domegranate. :toot:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Blaine the Train posted:

Well I've been doing some last minute mon training for the Galar Beginnings competition, thought to myself "Oh I should train up a Tsareena."

About thirty eggs in, trying for some good IVs:

I named her Domegranate. :toot:

;asldkjgsflkjgh

you are so lucky and that's a hilarious name

also i've always found victory roads to be annoying and tedious and i didn't miss it at all

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
I agree with most of ya'll that the old approaches weren't ideal. Certainly better than this tho. At least ya felt something when you finally beat your rival and didn't have to fly all the way back to the start to heal up. HM's weren't great either, but it was nice to get a quick reflection of all the little things you picked up on your journey. Here... bleh, I guess I upgraded a bike at the last minute.

3d environments have been around since the late 90s. It's not like they're treading any new ground there, and they have 400 little monsters to utilize for world building or *puzzles*! I don't think I'll remember anything from the routes or dungeons of this game outside of that they were pretty and linear. & that's a shame.

It's just nuts to me that the Gameboy era games with all their iterations did a better job at world building – TM's come from NPC's loosely associated with the move and not just randomly out in a field. Once you can explore more places, there's quirky things to discover. There's a house just out of reach that you know you'll have to come back to. Most towns have a feature or two that makes them worth going back to, etc.

EatinCake fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 7, 2019

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i never played in any of the online competitions in past Pokemon games because it seemed like such a slog to get a team ready for them

but in this one things seem way easier and faster (especially with raids as an easy source of 4/5 IV pokes and dittos) i have 4 pokemon that are good enough to use in the Galar Beginnings one so I gave it a shot. it's a lot of fun! Ribombee as a sticky web setup then usually follow with either Duraludon or Drednaw (usually Drednaw, since he's got the Stonesurge which is good to get out early on) as a g-max fella, with an Imposter Ditto as cleanup or a wildcard after Ribombee if that seems like a better choice. not the most complex team around and i dont have anyone else i can really use yet but it's fun and i've won a few matches, hooray!

i really want to make a good doubles team but i'm not sure where to begin with that. singles seems a bit easier to put together, but doubles seems more fun

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I catch a Tyrogue
It has let’s say, 53 attack and 52 defense
I force that little poo poo to eat a couple of +DEF feathers until he is at 53 atk/53 def
I give him a rare candy for being such a darling and eating all those feathers

He proceeds to evolve into... a Hitmonlee?

This has happened twice.
What about Hitmontop do I not understand?

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Sockser posted:

I catch a Tyrogue
I force that little poo poo to eat a couple of +DEF feathers until he is at 53 atk/53 def

This has happened twice.

What are the stat gains from that rare candy? Sounds like it gets at least 1 more in attack on level up which throws it off.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sockser posted:

I catch a Tyrogue

This has happened twice.

What its stats are AFTER it levels is what matters, not before. It must've gotten more defense points than attack, because of IVs or nature. It's easiest to get Hitmontop at level 20 when the stats are still really low. Alternatively you can just catch one in the wild.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

You can find hitmontop at the lake of outrage grass in.... certain weather

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I was thinking of trying for a living dex before the global trade 3ds thing goes down in Feb. Does anyone know if there's like a quick online resource for like putting out what Pokemon I'll need to trade for if I put in what games I have?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Note to self: host raids at 6am because it's the only time people will join. I've been struggling to even knock out a Giga Snorlax all week but within like 15 seconds I was joined by all 3 legendaries.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mesadoram posted:

What the gently caress. Why would they not make it automatic or make it like a news story sent to you in game?

Thank you, I will do this when I get home.

We were doing some offline 4 player raiding and not everyone could join certain raids

We were troubleshooting network issues for an hour before we realized this was it lol

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/RainbowJulian/status/1202763758046601217

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Quote posted:

Mints rule, gang. Use mints. You'll save a ton of time, even if you have to win the BP.

e: Seriously, the amount of time you can cut out of breeding by using both the Destiny Knot AND one of the power items is completely worth it.

I get th destiny knot usage but what’s this about a power item, does that max the power item’s stat for eggs or something else?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Power Equipments will force the parent to give the egg their IV in the stat it corresponds to. So say you have a parent with a Best in Attack, give them the Power Bracer and the egg will have Best in Attack as well.

Genovera wrote a cool breeding guide that I've been following that they posted a few days back. It's on this page if you want to check it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3883283&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=751#post500508299

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I too am disappointed that GAMEFREAK robbed me of the privilege of running through dark corridors either burdened with a useless beastie that's just there to solve dumb environmental puzzles or having my team potential diminished by having those moves taking up moveset space while fighting endless geodudes, zubats, tentacools and wingulls or their generational equivalent

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I really dislike the weather graphics in the wild area. I can understand that they want weather to play a role in the game but I don’t understand how they thought it was a good idea to obscure the largest area in the game with lovely haze for half the time. It shouldn’t look like there is glare on my tv when it’s sunny out.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Caught a Gluttony G-Max Snorlax this morning with nearly perfect IVs. Wrong nature, but that’s no big deal anymore.

I guess I should finally finish the story mode so I can actually get to the Battle Tower and start breeding.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The Wild Area doesn’t feel right without swarms of Zubat annoying the poo poo outta me.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Mega64 posted:

The Wild Area doesn’t feel right without swarms of Zubat annoying the poo poo outta me.

I'd take them over getting blitzed by Electrike.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Mega64 posted:

Don’t worry. Noivern fills that role nicely.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I haven't read the last 5000 posts because of game spoilers but I'm popping in to ask, is anyone else way more interested in the battle meta this generation than they have been for the last few? Mega and Z-Moves were fine but Dynamax is so much cooler and more exciting than either of them and that's coming from someone who was deeply underwhelmed and uninterested in it when it was first revealed.

Note that this only applies to VGC doubles, Dynamax is kind of broken in singles but singles has been getting increasing boring every generation whereas doubles only gets more awesome. They really need to make a new doubles-focused Colosseum/XD game.

I've been watching a bunch of different YY channels for wifi battles recently, mostly VGC but singles now and then too just to see what people are doing over there, and there's so much neat stuff going on with the new mons. Gonna get Sword for Xmas so I am very excited to finally try them out.

Feb 2, 2005
My water absorb Freeze-Dry Lapras is running circles around all these scarfed Dracovish and defensive Toxapex in the Galar Beginnings tourney and I am loving every goddamned second of it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I'd take them over getting blitzed by Electrike.

Trying to farm Eevees is a PITA cause of these loving ASSHOLES :byodood:

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Leal posted:

Trying to farm Eevees is a PITA cause of these loving ASSHOLES :byodood:

I'm scared of dogs so it's a more primal fear in my case.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Anyone have a spare G-Farfetch'd with a leak? No takers in the discord. I'm only just now getting into breeding but I could hook you up with a 5 IV Applin w/sweet apple or a G-Darumaka.

I'll watch the thread for a bit and trade using 3175 if anyone's interested.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Forgetsu posted:

Anyone have a spare G-Farfetch'd with a leak? No takers in the discord. I'm only just now getting into breeding but I could hook you up with a 5 IV Applin w/sweet apple or a G-Darumaka.

I'll watch the thread for a bit and trade using 3175 if anyone's interested.

Farfetch'd has a 50% chance of holding a leak. Just catch one yourself. It'd be a lot faster.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Nanigans posted:

Farfetch'd has a 50% chance of holding a leak. Just catch one yourself. It'd be a lot faster.

Shield

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sockser posted:

I catch a Tyrogue

This has happened twice.

If you didn't get your hitmontop when you first hit the wild area you will never get it without trading. Adjusting stats doesn't work and breeding doesn't either because all are male and ever egg with a ditto will be the same as the non ditto parent

You're going to need to trade for it or get it via raid. Don't waste items on a tyrogue because it will never work out

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

You could use a razor claw for roughly the same effect I think.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/SunderCR/status/1202764791783182336

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

i went camping with the fossil abominations to see what their animations are and i noticed arctovish's eyeballs are right side up, which i somehow find weirder than its whole head being upside down