Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I don't know if they ever went into production, but I just love tekio tube lights, aka Lampe Tekio:

Could you not achieve the same with some string lights and a dryer hose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Snowy posted:

I’m looking to get a large paper ball ceiling light and there’s a fixture at IKEA that would work but is there something better I should know about?

I was just in a house that had this one, maybe it’s just the one from Ikea idk

Nelson lamps if you want something not cheap and paper and looking like a college dorm

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Azza Bamboo posted:

Could you not achieve the same with some string lights and a dryer hose?

transparent aluminum is years away.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Brute Squad posted:

transparent aluminum is years away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_oxynitride

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Snowy posted:

I’m looking to get a large paper ball ceiling light and there’s a fixture at IKEA that would work but is there something better I should know about?

The Ikea ones are perfectly fine and very neutral. As long as you don't stick pointy objects into them they'll last forever too, despite being just paper and some wire.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N64fR6pMaoU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

PRADA SLUT posted:

Nelson lamps if you want something not cheap and paper and looking like a college dorm

Those are nice but not that different enough to justify the price.

nielsm posted:

The Ikea ones are perfectly fine and very neutral. As long as you don't stick pointy objects into them they'll last forever too, despite being just paper and some wire.

I agree, I had one of the large ball lights a few years ago and the light it gave off really was beautiful. I was just thinking there might be other options to consider but $500 or so isn’t happening.

I’m doing a bunch of renovation right now so I guess this is where I should save a little.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

an AOL chatroom posted:

There's a hotel in Roxbury, NY with themed rooms. We stayed there once on a weekend getaway, and landed in the "Wizard's Emeralds" room, an Emerald City-themed suite where pretty much everything is green but a yellow brick road going down the middle of it. That definitely messed with my color perception after a fairly short amount of time, and going outside took a few seconds to recalibrate to seeing non-green colors.

https://theroxburyexperience.com/room/the-wizards-emeralds/ - there's quite a few rooms on there that should probably be posted in here.

Greenwood Fantasuites is the superior cheesy fuckroom hotel

The "Desert Nights" room

The "Alien Invasion" room which did not deserve a decent photo

The not-at-all racist "Arabian Nights" room

The "Cinderella" room

The "Indy 500" room for those who had racecar beds as kids and got a fetish from it

The "Pink Cadillac" room which is the boomer version of the above

There are so many of them and they are all amazing.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

Those are some weird looking boob lights.

Snowy posted:

Those are nice but not that different enough to justify the price.

I agree, I had one of the large ball lights a few years ago and the light it gave off really was beautiful. I was just thinking there might be other options to consider but $500 or so isn’t happening.

I’m doing a bunch of renovation right now so I guess this is where I should save a little.

'Japanese Paper Lanterns' sounds like the item you want. But I have to agree with PRADA SLUT in that they do look a bit college dorm. You may have to search around and see if anything strikes your fancy.
example: https://www.paperlanternstore.com/36--even-ribbing-round-paper-lanterns.html

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

That’s no more transparent aluminum than water is “liquid oxygen”.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

People should make one like this, but with a few little 'horns' coming off the bottom at angles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rope_trick_effect

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

People should make one like this, but with a few little 'horns' coming off the bottom at angles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rope_trick_effect

I agree, it would go well with one of these

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Snowy posted:

There are lots of better options but they'd be more expensive. I'd suggest something like

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Plum-flower-Chinese-Japanese-Style-Hanging-lantern-Decorative-Paper-Lantern-/273639219847

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
I'm going to be upset if y'all have scared off BeamMasterJ and we don't get to see the kitchen remodel unfold...

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

HycoCam posted:

I'm going to be upset if y'all have scared off BeamMasterJ and we don't get to see the kitchen remodel unfold...

Speaking of whom, thanks to those who pointed me to his posts and to the link in the OP. I went over to that thread. Quite a read!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

HycoCam posted:

Wait, did he actually announce a kitchen remodel? I want to see it.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

What do you guys think of using copper piping off the shelf of Home Depot for curtain rods? Solid charcoal curtains with grommets. I figure I could clean up the copper, put a bit of a shine on it, and it would look decent. It's not any more expensive than any other option.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Wonder Weapon posted:

What do you guys think of using copper piping off the shelf of Home Depot for curtain rods? Solid charcoal curtains with grommets. I figure I could clean up the copper, put a bit of a shine on it, and it would look decent. It's not any more expensive than any other option.

What's the span?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

MetaJew posted:

Wait, did he actually announce a kitchen remodel? I want to see it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

That looks nice but I just want the most soft light I can get so I don’t want paintings of trees on there or anything.

The big round paper lights are used a lot in film/tv lighting because the light is so even and flattering. The lighting guys call them china balls. I’m used to them in that context so I don’t have the dorm room association I guess. When I was in art school nobody was hanging their own ceiling lights, that would have been a waste of good drug money.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Sounds pretty, but it's gonna dull over time and require re-polishing. Chrome might be a better option.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Also finials might be a pain.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
The toilet is sunken too.

Youth Decay posted:

The not-at-all racist "Arabian Nights" room

AKA Justin Trudeau room.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
tub owns, gently caress those haters. would slide my naked rear end off the top of those ramps and splash down theatricaly

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Man, for a room named after a collection of fairy tales, that sure is a room lacking in... Well, anything appealing.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/17828-Lake-Rd-Lakewood-OH-44107/33488314_zpid/

Please enjoy this extremely groovy property

Emphasis on the bedrooms and custom wallpaper

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The further I went, the more interesting that got.

Some of those rooms were unique.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Mocking Bird posted:

I mean it's a big house, it doesn't look that bad it's just-

-HO HO gently caress me look at those purple shag stairs

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I know this isn't strictly the place to appreciate 'interesting' floor layouts but here's a lot of new stuff going up in Kalasatama neighbourhood in Helsinki and I am amazed at this:

Good luck with keeping the place clean on dirty weather or getting a dog, the only washroom is that one you access through the 'bedroom' at the back.

Here's another fun new construction: https://www.etuovi.com/kohde/n32894?haku=M1436941504

Looks funky on the outside, no? Here's the floorplan you plan your furniture around

barbecue at the folks fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Dec 9, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Legend in case anyone cares:
VH: wardrobe
ET: vestibule
KT: kitchen (used to be just K IDK?)
OH: living room
PH: washroom (shower & bog, basically, used to be KPH but :shrug:)
MH: bedroom
S: sauna
LASITETTU PARVEKE: glazed balcony

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I found a tumblr that's just pictures from old magazine shoots for anyone who's interested in mid-century interior design trends. Most of it is pretty tasteful if dated, but there's some weird things if you dig.

What the his/her sink level for this?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

What the heck is with Ohio and it's untouched period mansions? That :krad: 80's house is also there (they just recently dropped the price too): https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5964-Thistlehill-Cir-NW-Canton-OH-44708/35239300_zpid/

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sirotan posted:

What the heck is with Ohio and it's untouched period mansions? That :krad: 80's house is also there (they just recently dropped the price too): https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5964-Thistlehill-Cir-NW-Canton-OH-44708/35239300_zpid/

Nobody wants to live there any more.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Mocking Bird posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/17828-Lake-Rd-Lakewood-OH-44107/33488314_zpid/

Emphasis on the bedrooms and custom wallpaper

I did a Joey Lawrence *whoa* when I got the bedrooms.

Honestly, that's a really nice house with a really nice layout. And our den had the exact same carpet that's in the billiards room. It was great for playing MatchBox cars.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

What's the span?

There's three windows we're covering, so they vary. The shortest is maybe 7ft, and the longest is around 12ft. (I'll have to put a bracket in the center of that span, and probably attach two pipes together as well.

Any curtain rod better than bargain bin Target is going to be at least $40 or $50 that's long enough to go 12ft, so $30 worth of copper piping and some elbow grease to get it clean and shiny sounds great. I figure there's got to be some chemical you can coat it with afterwards that should greatly reduce tarnishing speed.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Sirotan posted:

That house looks how Timecop 1983 sounds.

Maybe it will be in the new Wonder Woman movie.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

there wolf posted:

I found a tumblr that's just pictures from old magazine shoots for anyone who's interested in mid-century interior design trends. Most of it is pretty tasteful if dated, but there's some weird things if you dig.

What the his/her sink level for this?

ww2 berlin

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

There's three windows we're covering, so they vary. The shortest is maybe 7ft, and the longest is around 12ft. (I'll have to put a bracket in the center of that span, and probably attach two pipes together as well.

Any curtain rod better than bargain bin Target is going to be at least $40 or $50 that's long enough to go 12ft, so $30 worth of copper piping and some elbow grease to get it clean and shiny sounds great. I figure there's got to be some chemical you can coat it with afterwards that should greatly reduce tarnishing speed.

Copper is often lacquered to keep the shine, which seems to work pretty well.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

i was once in a house (in ohio, obvs) and the bathroom had silver wallpaper like this but with a bamboo motif, and get this: black ceramic with glitter toilet/bidet combo, and white shag carpet

also,

very classy things like pianos, ships, and typewriters indicate good taste and Culture,

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I mean, I have a typewriter, so obviously that makes me classy as hell, and not just because my dad bought an antique typewriter at an estate sale for $5 because no one wanted it and then gave it to me.