Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I just want to see an episode where marty licks docs balls.

I'm asking for a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

"That's right Morty, being a Nazi can make your friends not like you and even get you into trouble with the law."

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If Bugs Bunny cartoons came out today you’d ask him to finish the episode with a prolonged “violence is never the answer” monologue so the kids would understand not to dress up like Opera Vikings and seduce their enemies into traps where you can effectively kill them with a mallet

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Why would Rick care about Nazi's? He's already left his original family behind in the Cronen universe. He's caused millions(billions? TRILLIONS?) of sentient beings to die. And the worst part is he has no end game. He's not trying to help anyone or make the universe better.

I guess i'm trying to say Rick is worse than Hitler.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Show is still pretty funny though.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Fragmented posted:

Why would Rick care about Nazi's? He's already left his original family behind in the Cronen universe. He's caused millions(billions? TRILLIONS?) of sentient beings to die. And the worst part is he has no end game. He's not trying to help anyone or make the universe better.

"You're like hitler but worse" is one of things morty says to him in the very first episode.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Away all Goats posted:

"You're like hitler but worse" is one of things morty says to him in the very first episode.

Well i said it better. Give me writing credits.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Fragmented posted:

Show made it clear. Rick hates it when others boss him around.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Show made it clear. Rick hates it when others boss him around.

Should have been a one minute ending of him genocide all the Nazi's planets/universes then. I don't really know what argument i'm making here but Rick only seemed mildy annoyed by the fascism being in his way, not that it existed.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

If Bugs Bunny cartoons came out today you’d ask him to finish the episode with a prolonged “violence is never the answer” monologue so the kids would understand not to dress up like Opera Vikings and seduce their enemies into traps where you can effectively kill them with a mallet
No I wouldn't, you're being willfully obtuse, and you don't ev n have a point here beyond making up a thing I didn't do and being mad about it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

No I wouldn't, you're being willfully obtuse, and you don't ev n have a point here beyond making up a thing I didn't do and being mad about it.

Nobody is mad, what? I feel like I understand what you’re saying just fine. You don’t think the creators of this show are effectively policing their work enough so that the shittiest and dumbest fans won’t feel empowered or emboldened by the obviously flawed and selfish people in their programs. It sounds as ridiculous to me now as when people told me Looney Tunes promote violence in children.

Once again, anyone on Earth who gets their political or personal ideologies from cartoons are people you should just go out of your way to avoid engaging with, because they’re effectively still children. If your life is such that every day is a battleground of Rick & Morty/South Park/Star Wars fans coming out of the woodwork to be awful and tear you down, then maybe you’re just hanging out in the wrong places?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

Once again, anyone on Earth who gets their political or personal ideologies from cartoons are people you should just go out of your way to avoid engaging with,
Tell that to the McDonald's employees.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lmao are you goddamn kidding me

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The whole 'Think of the children!' argument was only ever used to kill competition and censor LGBT+ positive content at the first opportunity. If you're worried about what's causing young men to become socially inept Nazis, you're gonna hafta look a little further than the goddamn cartoons.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

We could stand to be more critical of the content we consume without kneecapping it.

But that requires a wider response than just what makes it to TV.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole 'Think of the children!' argument was only ever used to kill competition and censor LGBT+ positive content at the first opportunity. If you're worried about what's causing young men to become socially inept Nazis, you're gonna hafta look a little further than the goddamn cartoons.

You're right, if you critically engage with media in any way you're literally a homophobic monopolist Tipper Gore pearl clutching wokescold because cartoons are simultaneously completely inconsequential and must also have their artistic integrity protected at all costs.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's not remotely what anyone's saying.

Personally, Rick being right all the time, while also being lovely, is getting emotionally exhausting and has tipped from funny to not really funny anymore because it keeps happening. Again, my personal reaction. I think there's some criticism on that level that people just don't like what it's doing anymore.

The criticism that comes closest to "it's bad and should stop" is that the show keeps framing "nice" and "smart" as opposites. There are a lot of misanthropic dumbasses out there already inclined to think that way, and this show really uncritically hammers that dichotomy home, and that's lovely because lovely people will feel better about themselves and be more sure about their lovely beliefs. This isn't "people getting their opinions from cartoons" this is basic human interaction with media.

None of this has anything to do with censorship or "think of the children" bullshit.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Sleeveless posted:

You're right, if you critically engage with media in any way you're literally a homophobic monopolist Tipper Gore pearl clutching wokescold because cartoons are simultaneously completely inconsequential and must also have their artistic integrity protected at all costs.

Well, I mean, yeah, right?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Okay, revised prediction of the season finale: Morty finally manages to unambiguously outsmart Rick on something significant precisely because Rick’s extreme cynicism caused him to overlook or dismiss Morty’s idea, and his own “solution” is either ineffective or makes the problem a thousand times worse.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Sleeveless posted:

You're pretending to be the one critically engaging with the material in the face of people actually doing the work of looking at the text and analyzing it.

It's dishonest bullshit and it's really loving tiresome. Like, I get being emotionally burnt out by people like Rick. I'm burnt out by idiots who can't be bothered to check their assumptions and are incredibly loud and confident about their opinions and think that vague impressions are super important and just talk over any take that doesn't feel truthy to them. And then try to claim the moral high ground for it.

And it might be unfair to dump that on someone making a post about a dumb cartoon, but that isn't going to stop me from saying gently caress you. It barely matters if the show is good or not, because I don't think you give a gently caress about anything but voicing your hot take based on poo poo you barely remember.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 8, 2019

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Regalingualius posted:

Okay, revised prediction of the season finale: Morty finally manages to unambiguously outsmart Rick on something significant precisely because Rick’s extreme cynicism caused him to overlook or dismiss Morty’s idea, and his own “solution” is either ineffective or makes the problem a thousand times worse.

Theres a consistent theme so far of Morty being turned into something monsterous due to Rick, both directly and due to healthy growth being shut down so he can be Rock's adventure buddy. That's where the season is going with this.

e: not gonna fix that typo, have Morty go on an adventure with The Rock if you're gonna do celeb cameos.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Dec 8, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm more picturing Morty sticking googly eyes on a rock and pouring whiskey on it and taking it on adventures

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm more picturing Morty sticking googly eyes on a rock and pouring whiskey on it and taking it on adventures

I could see Morty doing that if he got trapped in some random dimension for months before Rick came for him.

The Rock should definitely voice the rock.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Then it's left behind forgotten with the cube from Star Trek TNG, and it becomes Rock and Moriarty.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Then it's left behind forgotten with the cube from Star Trek TNG, and it becomes Rock and Moriarty.

The real joke here is that I'm old enough to get this.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I'm still scratching my head about the rant from the first episode and liberalism and all this stuff about old people.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'll just be over here waiting for the Steven Universe crossover episode

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

turboraton posted:

I'm still scratching my head about the rant from the first episode and liberalism and all this stuff about old people.

Its weird stupid people think not understanding an analogy makes them seem smarter than the person positing it.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Rick is like a weird sci fi libertarian and hates nazis/fascists/bureaucrats etc. But yeah his character is secondary to whatever concept the episode wants to do. Sure he doesn't feel especially attached to every dimension or alien species out there but basically he believes in 'muh freedoms' n stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExitLAP6F9U&t=64s

how soon we forget.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Toalpaz posted:

Rick is like a weird sci fi libertarian and hates nazis/fascists/bureaucrats etc. But yeah his character is secondary to whatever concept the episode wants to do. Sure he doesn't feel especially attached to every dimension or alien species out there but basically he believes in 'muh freedoms' n stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExitLAP6F9U&t=64s

how soon we forget.

In theory, he's an anarchist. In practice, the other Ricks are evidently libertarians or something, and the difference doesn't really amount to much- most of his wrath is directed at governments and bureaucracy, and he's only different from the Citadel Ricks in that he doesn't set up any long-term exploitative organizations.

Well, except the universe he made to power his car.

I'd actually sort of like the show to take the chance to rib anarchists a little for the fact that, for all their theoretical credentials, anarchists are in practice way more comfortable than communists to the status quo insofar as anarchist rhetoric targets the state rather than capital.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

In theory, he's an anarchist. In practice, the other Ricks are evidently libertarians or something, and the difference doesn't really amount to much- most of his wrath is directed at governments and bureaucracy, and he's only different from the Citadel Ricks in that he doesn't set up any long-term exploitative organizations.

Well, except the universe he made to power his car.

I'd actually sort of like the show to take the chance to rib anarchists a little for the fact that, for all their theoretical credentials, anarchists are in practice way more comfortable than communists to the status quo insofar as anarchist rhetoric targets the state rather than capital.

I mean, I think that anarchists are in general anti-capitalist. I don't think there are any anarchists that could look at the system of capital, the social hierarchy (private ownership of the means of production), and the stratification it produces, and be like 'yeah this is okay'. Many anarchists are pro dismantling capitalism, and anarchist critique of the state is founded in an understanding that capitalism is wrong too.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Toalpaz posted:

I mean, I think that anarchists are in general anti-capitalist. I don't think there are any anarchists that could look at the system of capital, the social hierarchy (private ownership of the means of production), and the stratification it produces, and be like 'yeah this is okay'. Many anarchists are pro dismantling capitalism, and anarchist critique of the state is founded in an understanding that capitalism is wrong too.

Those would be the theoretical credentials, yes.

It's just that capital is actually much better at adapting to "smash the state" than "seize the means," to the point where the former is barely subversive anymore.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Toalpaz posted:

google greece.txt

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

shame on an IGA posted:

google greece.txt

lol An-Caps are morons

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

lol An-Caps are morons

:emptyquote:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

lol An-Caps are morons

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Our Rick is the perfect, Ayn Randian Liberitarian: The Ur-Man of Politics - he does everything for himself, relies on no one, and needs nothing (except the support-base of infinite galactic-level civilizations and an endless supply of replaceable family members). An impossibility in the real world.

All of the other Ricks are actual libertarians.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Our Rick is the perfect, Ayn Randian Liberitarian: The Ur-Man of Politics - he does everything for himself, relies on no one, and needs nothing (except the support-base of infinite galactic-level civilizations and an endless supply of replaceable family members). An impossibility in the real world.

All of the other Ricks are actual libertarians.

I mean, my real point here is that he considers himself an anarchist, but despite supposedly being a freedom fighter or whatever, he waited until after the Federation killed Bird-Person to waltz in and wreck their poo poo. He could have done that before, you know they killed his best friend.

I'm hoping that the Pheonix-Person comes home to roost on that one. Like, he wasn't even going to attend that wedding, let alone come up with a plan in case the government that wants his friend dead made a move at the incredibly obvious time to strike against a political target. Really, Bird-person died because Rick did not care enough to even think about stopping it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I read the liberalism post as someone posting from further left than liberalism but maybe I misunderstood it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I read the liberalism post as someone posting from further left than liberalism but maybe I misunderstood it

Liberalism is a useless word as so many people use it as "think I don't like politically" but they all mean something different so it's lost all actual meaning.