Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

RockyB posted:

All polls are poo poo but the latest ones have Labour closing the gap, mad motivation for motley canvassers. The Graun?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/07/opinium-poll-tories-15-point-lead-over-labour-four-days-until-election

How the gently caress do the supposedly left wing Guardian end up with the most doomsaying pollsters? I'm am going to laugh in their loving faces come Friday morning.

E: loving lmao if you've been following the Peleton thing

https://twitter.com/VancityReynolds/status/1203118775815622664

EE: That's a lot of fucks. Swearing is part of my idiolect, and not at all proletarian.

The guardian isn't left wing. It's Liberal. It'll loudly talk about the problems with conservatism and then say that the solutions are worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Bobby Deluxe posted:

At least you are eventually entitled to the bread under communism.

:smug: You're entitled to bread if you just work hard. No, harder than that. Even harder! That's the spot! Harder! Harder! Work it, peasant!

HAAAARRRRRUUUUUMMMPPHHH! :gizz: :smug:

No you may not have any bread :smug:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

RockyB posted:

E: loving lmao if you've been following the Peleton thing

https://twitter.com/VancityReynolds/status/1203118775815622664

EE: That's a lot of fucks. Swearing is part of my idiolect, and not at all proletarian.

idgi

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Unfortunately, Reynolds is non grata now.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MoggMentum/status/1203387306314543109

There's that Labour antisemitism again.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Peloton did a controversial ad (controversial in the sense that the man buys his woman an exceedingly expensive exercise bike, she works out for a year, and gives him a present of the new improved her the following year). I watched the ad in the interests of research - she doesn't look any different to me. But in any case it's really sexist.

Peloton's share price dropped dramatically after this ad.

Same actor does the gin ad.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I really don't get all the landlord hate for Labour though

I mean, as much as we all like the jam man, it's not like Corbyn's going to expropriate all houses (unfortunately), owning a house will probably still be a safe "investment", it's just that renters will probably get a couple more protections, there might be some kind of rent cap, but I doubt it'll be anything too earth-shattering.

The only reason you'd be afraid is if you were a complete slumlord that exploited the gently caress out of your tenants... oh...

...oh

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Peloton did a controversial ad (controversial in the sense that the man buys his woman an exceedingly expensive exercise bike, she works out for a year, and gives him a present of the new improved her the following year). I watched the ad in the interests of research - she doesn't look any different to me. But in any case it's really sexist.

A private cosmetic surgery provider has taken note of this ad campaign and is working on one inspired by it, I'm sure.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If anyone hasn't seen this ad it is surreal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pShKu2icEYw

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Pochoclo posted:

I mean, as much as we all like the jam man, it's not like Corbyn's going to expropriate all houses (unfortunately), owning a house will probably still be a safe "investment", it's just that renters will probably get a couple more protections, there might be some kind of rent cap, but I doubt it'll be anything too earth-shattering.

The only reason you'd be afraid is if you were a complete slumlord that exploited the gently caress out of your tenants... oh...

...oh

I have some landlord friends and 3 of them are voting labour! (And not just saying that to me but actually sharing pro-Labour stuff on FB).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

...oh

Think of it this way, you own the house, you don't live in it, but you own it, it's yours, tenants are just an annoying thing you need to get money out of the house, but you don't want them to have any power over you.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

thanks. lol at brands

also i spent £80 on my exercise bike and it does the job haha

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Sociolect is the pattern of speech engendered by your environment, idiolect is the language you use based on your exposure to sociolect and other factors. For instance I grew up in Leicester and moved to Manchester for uni, then via Sheffield and Derby before ending up in London. Hence when I talk I use 'mate' and 'gently caress' far too much, and nobody can ever place my accent. Also picked up 'aye' and 'lass' from somewhere, possibly my half Scottish dad. Of course by dint of didialectalism and accent adaptation I also tend to change my terminology when speaking with business associates. Or when I'm not drunk.

Yes, I did do English Language at A-Level. Why do you ask?

Oh, the Peleton thing? Painfully sexist advert, actress has now done another ad where she's drinking heavily. This is funny.

E: Also, the actress is not wearing a wedding ring in the new advert.

EE: Oh hey I found a political context to my ramblings

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/news/a6844/heres-why-your-accent-keeps-changing-depending-who-youre-with/

quote:

In 2008, he and a team from University of York conducted a study called 'Accent and Identity on the Scottish-English Border'. One of the aims was to establish why two people from the same region, with the same level of exposure to outsiders, could grow up with different strengths of accent. They discovered that self-perception was an important factor.

"We asked lots of questions designed to see what the individuals would do in certain situations where patriotism would matter. For example, you'd ask the Scots, if there was going to be a referendum on independence (this was years before we knew there was actually going to be one), which way they would vote.

"We found there was a a strong correlation between those who said they'd vote 'yes' for independence and those with a very identifiably Scottish accent. In other words, the more patriotic they were, the more pronounced their accent was. Those who didn't particularly care spoke with a more neutral accent."

Perhaps then, after all those neutered conversations with our new London friends, me and my group of fellow dispossessed North-Easterners wandering around Hyde Park sounding like the cast of Byker Grove is a simple, defiant attempt to reclaim our identity. As Dr. Hall puts it: "People use language to establish bonds. But conversely, they also us it to establish barriers."

RockyB fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 7, 2019

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is it okay for me to admit that I still don't actually know who George Soros is and completely tune out when I hear his name regardless of who says it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He's a US billionaire that swings liberal. But he's still a billionaire so he's a huge rear end in a top hat. Also he's Jewish so he's like 50/50 hated for that or for being a liberal.

Because he chucks a bit of cash at liberal causes the right got it into their head that everything is secretly funded by soros. So the left decided it was hilarious and started claiming to part of soros's antifa supersoldier program.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Think of it this way, you own the house, you don't live in it, but you own it, it's yours, tenants are just an annoying thing you need to get money out of the house, but you don't want them to have any power over you.

It is very annoying when my blood bags complain...

Pictured: Boris Johnson after the election

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

antifa supersoldier program.

this sounds badass where do I sign up?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Bundy posted:

this sounds badass where do I sign up?

Speak to the fella pictured in the post above yours ;)

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

RockyB posted:

All polls are poo poo but the latest ones have Labour closing the gap, mad motivation for motley canvassers. The Graun?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/07/opinium-poll-tories-15-point-lead-over-labour-four-days-until-election

How the gently caress do the supposedly left wing Guardian end up with the most doomsaying pollsters? I'm am going to laugh in their loving faces come Friday morning.
the Obsever’s weekly write-ups of their Opinium polls have been bizarre, they’ve consistently been outsides with the biggest Tory leads of any polling outfit this cycle, but the articles treat it as gospel, like if it’s the only polling in existence.

Last week’s had the Tories 20 points ahead when a half-dozen other polls from the same period had it between 7 and 12, and the article was still ‘Labour twenty points behind, polling shows’.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

https://twitter.com/bresh671/status/1203404448816607235?s=20

Gary Neville doing some nice Labour campaigning in the derby post-match breakdown, good stuff.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

If anyone hasn't seen this ad it is surreal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pShKu2icEYw
I've heard people talking about how bad this was but gently caress me lol, that woman has huge "held against her will" energy :psyduck:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

an_mutt posted:

https://twitter.com/bresh671/status/1203404448816607235?s=20

Gary Neville doing some nice Labour campaigning in the derby post-match breakdown, good stuff.

Living up to his Red Nev nickname

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Wait really? Because he seemed to be best mates with the Tory council in trafford and quite pissed off when Labour got it in. A lot of Labour's campaign was about opposing development projects the Nevilles were involved in.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Still a landlord, but he's granted a bye for the first round of The Terror for this

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Wait really? Because he seemed to be best mates with the Tory council in trafford and quite pissed off when Labour got it in. A lot of Labour's campaign was about opposing development projects the Nevilles were involved in.

When he played, he was pretty much a union man. After retirement, less so

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
https://twitter.com/craigblackoreyt/status/1203313756131987456?s=21

Potentially relevant tweet for canvassers in here. For reference, Barnsley Central is one of the only seats where the MRP has BXP as within striking distance of a labour incumbent.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

When he played, he was pretty much a union man. After retirement, less so

I've stopped wishing I had loads of money given what it seems to do to people without exception.

e:

https://twitter.com/NinpoUK/status/1203416362477146112

Jesus christ

ee:
https://twitter.com/sjwrenlewis/status/1203253472109432832

eee:
https://twitter.com/Trickyjabs/status/1203386058790051840

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 7, 2019

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Beeb article on the NHS trade talks leak, includes this brilliant analysis

quote:

Analysis by political correspondent Jonathan Blake

A bit like journalists never reveal their sources, Labour are quite happy to focus on what these documents say rather than where they come from.

If you look at where Reddit's comments leave the discussion, it's both helpful and slightly problematic for Labour.

On the one hand, people are asking "where exactly did you get those documents from?" Remember, they were online in their unredacted form for several weeks before Labour brought them to everyone's attention.

But at the same time, we're still talking about these documents and what Labour claims that they show - that the NHS is up for sale, in their words. Boris Johnson and the Conservatives flatly deny that.

So it's a double-edged sword for Labour.
wut

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If these are the wrong documents then perhaps the government could provide the correct ones that show where their diplomats bravely took a stand against orange man's minions.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

And when I heard what Jeremy and Tony had done, I went and spaffed up that wall :smug:

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

quote:

none of this is minimising Labour’s very real problem of antisemitism. Yes antisemitism exists in all parties, but there are reasons (like support for the Palestinians) why antisemitism many be worse in the Labour party

Wasn't that found to be not true?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

e: ^ statistically yes, the Labour party has fewer anti-Semites by % than any other party and no higher than the population in general. The problem is people conflating anti-Zionism with anti-Semitism.
https://twitter.com/votetools/status/1203415971718938629

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Who defines what antisemitism is? What is the going definition?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

sinky posted:

Wasn't that found to be not true?

The words “may be” getting swole shoulders from all that carrying

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

It's not what you think....

https://twitter.com/seebsouq/status/1203024456437895170?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Azza Bamboo posted:

Who defines what antisemitism is? What is the going definition?

IHRA one is popular, though a lot of people just define it however they like.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Bundy posted:

e: ^ statistically yes, the Labour party has fewer anti-Semites by % than any other party and no higher than the population in general. The problem is people conflating anti-Zionism with anti-Semitism.
https://twitter.com/votetools/status/1203415971718938629

lmao oh poo poo, this isn't going to be great for the tories.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/bloonface/status/1203281366231724032?s=19

loving vile

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Help I can't tell if this is parody or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not to defend the tories but from what I recall the table in the document was for extra funding. So you're getting five years of extra funding, that's it. It's actually a theme with their funding pledges, quite a few of them seem to assume they won't be needed in a couple of years.