Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
My mother has a device for coring cherries.

It is not nearly as effective at coring things as my pilot with tactics 9 in a Warhammer with dual snub PPC++'s.

It feels like I'm cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A lot of giant mechanoman media has as a flimsy pretense some sort of neural connection to the robit, like in Armored Core there's a vague "AMS" affinity for the pilots with the implication it's easier for a human with low aptitude to go "this is an arm, this is a leg, think about moving arm to move arm" than "this is a tank tread/reverse jointed leg/four legs, this is a swivel-mounted turret, think abut moving arm to swing turret 360 degrees oh god my arm what did I do" (and better pilots can get over that). I think someone mentioned there are neuro-helmets or some such in MW so I just assumed it was similar. The cutscenes in Battletech show more nimble heavies throwing down too so stuff like melee is just abstracted.

Of course, the answer is secretly always "there's no reason to put a tank on legs it's dumb as hell" and you just ignore it.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 7, 2019

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

RBA Starblade posted:

Of course, the answer is secretly always "there's no reason to put a tank on legs it's dumb as hell" and you just ignore it.

Yuuuup. Or even of you did have terrain where bipedal makes sense, multiple smaller things with guns that hit like a truck make more sense than an absurdly huge mech.

Now I want bipedal artillery guns that poop out a tripod leg, shoot, then scoot.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

A 40 foot tall, 80ton boston Dynamics dog might be in our future.

But not really due to the squared/cubed law. Still I could see someone making an impractically large robot in the next few decades. Would probably weigh muuuch more than battletech mechs though.

Asimov fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 7, 2019

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I got a funny bug in the Bourbon and Battlemechs flashpoint where it basically loaded the wrong map. It ended up being an assault on a borehole, not a bar. Granted, it was a fortress last time I played, but that's still closer to a bar than a glowing lava pit.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I dunno, a bar at a lava pit sounds pretty metal.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Asimov posted:

Still I could see someone making an impractically large robot in the next few decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZRWh-5v37g

quote:

the giant robot can't leave this building, it was built too tall to pass through the entrance

Does that count?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Asimov posted:

A 40 foot tall, 80ton boston Dynamics dog might be in our future.

But not really due to the squared/cubed law. Still I could see someone making an impractically large robot in the next few decades. Would probably weigh muuuch more than battletech mechs though.

The original mackie armor and engie were so inefficient thats its comprably armed to a shadowhawk or vindicator but without the mobility. As long as they dont go for everything at once im sure we could get a very basic robot working at under 100 tons

Wasnt that thing just a big truck with a robot shape hiding the wheels?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Klyith posted:

debug menu instructions

this is why I ironman the old fashioned way

I should have done this.

Anyway, at first glance playing with this Bullshark in the mechbay: It looks like I should strip the LBX-10s off for LBX-2s if I've got the ++ versions, since I lose about 11 damage total in return for 4.5 tons, some heat generation, and massively better ammo consumption. I only had one LBX-2, but just taking one off let me throw in max front armor everywhere and another DHS, so a second should probably let me upgrade all the ERMLas to pulse lasers if I can get enough. The thing looks like a monster though.

e: Was I ever supposed to be able to fight The Black Widow or Bounty Hunter?

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 7, 2019

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Ravenfood posted:

I should have done this.

Anyway, at first glance playing with this Bullshark in the mechbay: It looks like I should strip the LBX-10s off for LBX-2s if I've got the ++ versions, since I lose about 11 damage total in return for 4.5 tons, some heat generation, and massively better ammo consumption. I only had one LBX-2, but just taking one off let me throw in max front armor everywhere and another DHS, so a second should probably let me upgrade all the ERMLas to pulse lasers if I can get enough. The thing looks like a monster though.

My build for it was to strip off to ERML and put in some extra . . . . armor? Heat sinks? I forget what exactly I did with that two tons. Ditching those means that on most planets you can alpha a few time then down shift to just ballistics and it's still survivable as all gently caress.

Don't discount the artillery piece as a cool down move, btw. It generates a lot of heat, but not so much that it won't help you bleed off. It's not an amazing weapon, but since it does its damage across the entire enemy mech (as in it hits every location) it can be really good for sanding down a tough opponent or knocking off damaged sections.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I didn't realise until I saw it (from someone else's post earlier) that the only way to get the Raven is to do The Prototype. No wonder I've not seen them!

I think it's silly that Bull Sharks start appearing in shops and in enemy lances after you've done the flashpoint for it. I do love the thumper cannon though. And I've not changed mine's loadout at all - yea you can't keep alpha striking but just the 4 ACs is absolutely amazing.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Ravens do start showing up after you do the flashpoint as well.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Lockback posted:

Isn't MechWarrior 5 coming out in like 3 days? I haven't heard a thing about that game.

There might be some chat about it in the MWO thread but there's been a lot of public backlash because EPIC GAMES STORE BAD and people are writing it off for that alone. It looks alright from the gameplay I've seen, but PGI has a track record of making really bad decisions so I'm remaining skeptical until it launches to see how well off it'll be.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Its more that they were selling it until 2 days before the preorders ended as available on gog and steam, and then thats when they announced its going to be egs exclusive for a year

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

PGI are all about making making false promises and appearing to deliver stuff which looks amazing at first then flakes apart when you scratch below the surface. Be really skeptical of anything they make.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I'm interested in MW5 but I'm definitely going to wait for reviews to hit.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Ravenfood posted:

I should have done this.

e: Was I ever supposed to be able to fight The Black Widow or Bounty Hunter?

If you get some more UAC ++'s from Davion remove the LBX-10's and go quad UAC 5's. You can core basically anything in one precision shot, as long as they don't have protection.

It's fun. Later if you get more Bullsharks you can go two 10 UAC's and two 5 UAC's. It's a mean thing. You don't even user the lasers on either Bull unless it's to maybe reduce someones pip.

As for your spoiler. Yes. You will. Unless you chicken out.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Stravag posted:

Its more that they were selling it until 2 days before the preorders ended as available on gog and steam, and then thats when they announced its going to be egs exclusive for a year

Meh, I'll play it in 2021, same as the other EGS stuff.

edit: a lot of EGS stuff has been hitting the windows store too, so that might be an option. I know Metro did plus Outer Worlds. Obviously not Borderlands 3. Maybe this will go the same way. :shrug:

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So how do you make huge amounts of money in this game?

I'm usually hovering around 2 million bucks, so looking at the purchase price for an Orion or whatever just looks absurd. I feel like I'm either not making enough money or managing it poorly (or both).

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Selling off the hundreds of heat sinks, jump jet standards, and medium laser standards you will get every couple months of ingame time and when you complete a mech only keep the first one of the model for the campaign score and sell the rest of them if you dont like the chassis. First score trial i did i ended with 70 mill or so because thunderbolt were a unit of currency. Tbat was in an 8 part game tho so youll probably do better on easier settings. Not having the time progress 1 day per mission complete really means the sky is the limit now

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

H13 posted:

I'm usually hovering around 2 million bucks, so looking at the purchase price for an Orion or whatever just looks absurd. I feel like I'm either not making enough money or managing it poorly (or both).

Never buy a mech outright, just buy parts. Most mechs can be gotten for less than 3 mil that way.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

H13 posted:

You only make heaps of money later in the game, the more one of the houses like you the cheaper their products will be as well which can make a huge difference when your always fighting to keep your head above water.

For a large part of the game you'll get what you can via salvage.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 8, 2019

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dramicus posted:

Never buy a mech outright, just buy parts. Most mechs can be gotten for less than 3 mil that way.

One note on this: if you're using the "empty mechs don't come with gear" option, this will give you an empty mech, while buying one outright will get you one with equipment. Also this becomes less viable the more parts you need to complete a mech. Its still pretty drat cheap compared to buying a mech outright though.

e: I'm trying to decide if I want to ally with Davion: losing access to a lot of shops seems rough, but you get access to all the UACs you could want. I can't decide. I need more large pulse lasers first I guess.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 8, 2019

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Ravenfood posted:

e: I'm trying to decide if I want to ally with Davion: losing access to a lot of shops seems rough, but you get access to all the UACs you could want. I can't decide. I need more large pulse lasers first I guess.

You don't lose access to shops if you ally with a faction iirc. You can still shop at enemy stores and even take contracts from them, you can just never have a reputation above 0.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The bullshark with quad uac/5 ++ is stupid good (-2 recoil & -2 tons). You can fire 8x45 damage shots per turn and cool down while you do so. You also got plenty of room for some other energy or missiles of your choice. If you get the BSK-M3 without the thumper, it has an extra 10 tons to play with. You could also run quad uac/2 ++ with the +10 damage mod for 8x35 damage and you gain a little more tonnage, because you can carry less ammo (15/ton vs 25/ton).

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

GHOST_BUTT posted:

You don't lose access to shops if you ally with a faction iirc. You can still shop at enemy stores and even take contracts from them, you can just never have a reputation above 0.

If your rep with someone went low enough you couldn't shop or hire pilots in that system. That MAY have been one of my mods tho

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Oh, I thought it set them to the max negative, at a 50% markup. That's tolerable, just annoying.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Of course, the answer is secretly always "there's no reason to put a tank on legs except its kickin rad" and you just ignore it.

ftfy

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Stravag posted:

If your rep with someone went low enough you couldn't shop or hire pilots in that system. That MAY have been one of my mods tho

Definitely a mod. I'm allied with the Combine and with Liao and the other houses all hate me but I can absolutely use their shops.

It's frustrating that in almost every mission where there's an EVAC point the enemies are between you and it. It's so rare I actually evac, I just have to blow everything up. I feel like it should be a choice!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Taear posted:

Definitely a mod. I'm allied with the Combine and with Liao and the other houses all hate me but I can absolutely use their shops.

It's frustrating that in almost every mission where there's an EVAC point the enemies are between you and it. It's so rare I actually evac, I just have to blow everything up. I feel like it should be a choice!

Yeah that's pretty annoying. It would be nice if you could call for evac at a spot on the map of your choosing.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

sean10mm posted:

Yeah that's pretty annoying. It would be nice if you could call for evac at a spot on the map of your choosing.

Or like....evac point on the right, enemies on the left.
I've just completed a career mode and I honestly evacced 3 times in total.

It's not that it bothers me I guess - blowing things up is the game. But it's a shame.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Taear posted:

I've just completed a career mode and I honestly evacced 3 times in total.

It's not that it bothers me I guess - blowing things up is the game. But it's a shame.

Well, I think its dumb game design and makes no sense too. Ok guys let's evac! But instead of going back to where we dropped you off, go forwards through all the enemy!

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Taear posted:

stuck in the middle with you.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Deptfordx posted:

I'm interested in MW5 but I'm definitely going to wait for reviews to hit.

I'm also interested, but I'm waiting for a real developer to make it.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Organ Fiend posted:

I'm also interested, but I'm waiting for a real developer to make it.

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I have a feeling that MW5 will be as shallow as humanly possible. They are claiming you can play from 3015 to 3049. Either it's 1 mission per year, or there is next to zero content or it's entirely procedurally generated. I have no confidence in PGI's ability to fill 30 years of content.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Taear posted:

Yeah, and given that Davion gives you ready access to UAC-5++ guns, it was definitely worth allying with them.

Now, to kit out the Annihilator I almost bankrupted myself getting. I'm assuming a battery of UAC-5s like the Bullshark is probably the way to go for this gunnery monster? I do want to see what a UAC-20 does though...

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Dramicus posted:

I have a feeling that MW5 will be as shallow as humanly possible. They are claiming you can play from 3015 to 3049. Either it's 1 mission per year, or there is next to zero content or it's entirely procedurally generated. I have no confidence in PGI's ability to fill 30 years of content.

IIRC from what I read early on in the project it was going to be all procedurally generated missions.

It sounded like a FPS version of career mode without flashpoints.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

OctaMurk posted:

Well, I think its dumb game design and makes no sense too. Ok guys let's evac! But instead of going back to where we dropped you off, go forwards through all the enemy!

If you could retreat to evac where you landed it would make most missions pretty trivial to complete objective, retreat robots, and completely ignore the reinforcements or whatever gimmick.

But also this comes back to the stuff about which direction to approach enemies from. If you circle around a bit -- and keep slipping around the sides even when you get in contact -- the evac probably won't be completely on the opposite side. Always be flanking.

Last and most importantly, only 1 mech needs to make it to the evac. Anyone that can't make it can eject and the only penalty is having to replace the head and losing the cockpit mod. So if you have a legless mech who can't sprint away that guy can be the heroic rearguard for a turn, then eject.

(In-world reason makes sense: they can't drop back to the same LZ, enemy might have artillery trained on that spot.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Cyrano4747 posted:

IIRC from what I read early on in the project it was going to be all procedurally generated missions.

It sounded like a FPS version of career mode without flashpoints.

Oh boy love to play FPS career mode where you can't even fix bad or run good stock loadouts because of ghost heat