Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Who What Now posted:

Isn't Rich only in his 40s? Why would anyone think he was gonna die any time soon?

It can happen at any time realistically :(

That said Erfworld died because of a lawsuit, the arrest of his stepson, and the suicide of said stepson. I feel like Rich isn't going to have that happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The series will likely be over in 3-5 years.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Maybe Rich will publish/kickstart that D&D campaign world he submitted if he ever got the rights back and publish companion novels for it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Eifert Posting posted:

The series will likely be over in 3-5 years.

Internet says he's 45 years old so I can see the ending dragging on for 20 more years before he decides he's ripe for retirement. Then again, maybe he'll go the Stan Lee route and keep writing until the grave.

I don't think he'd finish OOTS and then start another story, he must realize he doesn't have that much time left. 20-30 years might be enough to introduce the protagonists and a fraction of antagonists!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Or he could write shorter stories instead of sprawling epics.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Writing is a helluva drug, you can't just cut the dosage after so many years of writing an epic!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Many artists don't really retire, they just scale down their output.

If Rich finishes OotS before his 50th birthday, he can easily embark on another major work that will take 15-20 years to complete, and after that go into retirement and maybe spend his time leisurely drawing one of his undoubtedly many ideas that personally appeals to him but would be unlikely to find commercial success.

What I'm saying is, I'm looking forward to Sentient Movie Theater Snacks #1 around 2040 or so.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

bigpolar posted:

Sadly, at this point, I think that the odds of Rich surviving long enough to get to reveal the mystery of The Monster in the Dark are about on par with G. R. R. Martin living long enough to finish A Song of Ice and Fire.

I really hope to see it someday, but I'm not going to allow myself to get significantly emotionally invested in seeing the outcome.

Mainly, I don't want to end up with another Wheel of Time letdown. And I really don't think another artist finishing this out of a stash of notes will turn out reasonably well.

And that's even ignoring the possibility of a shutdown out of nowhere like that other comic GITP used to host. Although I think that sort of reaction is more likely to happen from GRRM (say, if there's a more negative reaction to his next book) than to Rich, just because he gets constant feedback, it doesn't build up for a decade.

Isn't wheel of Time some garbage libertarian wankfest?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

mandatory lesbian posted:

p sure you're thinking Goodkind, not Jordan

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

A lot of stuff aimed at youth/young adults is weird as hell. That doesn't make the fans less sad when the author dies.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I mean, it can’t be any worse than “actually the pacifists are evil, and the protagonists are perfectly justified in slaughtering them”.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

You're thinking Sword of Truth.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Sword of Truth is definitely garbage lolbertarian+racist warhawk wankfest. Naked Empire, published in 2003, contains a passage about the main character heroically slaughtering anti-war protesters, which tells you everything you need to know about Terry Goodkind.

Wheel of Time, based on a cursory glance at its Wikipedia page, doesn't seem to be openly Problematic.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Wheel of Time has an explicit gender binary metaphysics, which is definitely something to grapple with. Not at all libertarian though.

It has a show that's filming now, and their not lily white casting has been pretty cool. There was negative push back, but also thoughtful reactions like this.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just want the oots protagonists in a Paranoia short.

I can't decide if Elan would be terrible or a god.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Paranoia, at least the rules I saw would make durkon happiness officer, belkar loyalty officer, Haley communications, v hygiene, Roy equipment, and elan leader by default.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Questionable, it reads more like the monster is just making a biblical reference rather than naming himself. Speaking to Dr Frankenstein: "Remember that I am thy creature; I ought to be thy Adam, but I am rather the fallen angel, whom thou drivest from joy for no misdeed."

Yeah, he quotes the devil from Paradise Lost enough (I think his final line in the book is from there, even?) that he might as well be named Satan.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Cat Mattress posted:

Wheel of Time, based on a cursory glance at its Wikipedia page, doesn't seem to be openly Problematic.

I've been half-expecting somebody at Salon to go into the weird gender issues of Wheel of Time for at least the last 10 years. A lot of the women in WoT are comically domineering, including all five central characters' eventual romantic partners. There are a lot of onscreen marriages and relationships in "Randland" with complicated power dynamics.

Then again, it's all surprisingly PG-rated in the end, particularly in a genre that's as frequently horny as modern high fantasy. I don't think anybody in WoT gets chained to a wall and kinkily tortured until something like the eighth book.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
If Rich decides to do another comic post-OotS, which do you guys think is more likely?

A) OotS II: The Sequel Comic
B) A non-OotS related comic that's still stick-figures making DnD jokes
C) A non-stick DnD comic
D) A non-DND stick comic
E) A completely different genre and art-style altogether

I'm thinking either C or E. Rich has shown he can draw non-stick-figures.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I expect he'd be pretty tired of self-aware fantasy stick figures by then and looking to do something else.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Like on one hand I could see him continuing to do the sort do thing he's familiar with, and on the other hand, he probably sick of alignmentchat even more than we are.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

GimmickMan posted:

Yeah, he quotes the devil from Paradise Lost enough (I think his final line in the book is from there, even?) that he might as well be named Satan.

Actually this is his final line:

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Wanderer posted:

I've been half-expecting somebody at Salon to go into the weird gender issues of Wheel of Time for at least the last 10 years. A lot of the women in WoT are comically domineering, including all five central characters' eventual romantic partners. There are a lot of onscreen marriages and relationships in "Randland" with complicated power dynamics.

Then again, it's all surprisingly PG-rated in the end, particularly in a genre that's as frequently horny as modern high fantasy. I don't think anybody in WoT gets chained to a wall and kinkily tortured until something like the eighth book.

That sexual torture was pretty PG as well, and having read ASoIaF I am extremely glad for it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

You're thinking Sword of Truth.

Ah yeah, you are quite correct. There's too many dang fantasy series out there!

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Roland Jones posted:

I'm not going to link it because I wrote it years ago so the writing quality is really bad, and also I don't remember the number anyway, but it was basically a memetic... Well, originally a video tape, but it was "infectious"; when played on a device, any future media it played would be infected with it as well, and could thus also spread it, so, thanks to a VHS-DVD player, it jumped to discs as well. And later audio recordings of it while it was played on a different device. And art created by people who had been exposed to it, which they seemed compelled to do. And video footage of said art, as an unfortunate security guard who happened to be watching the monitors when a piece of it was unintentionally exposed to a camera found out.

In theory, it's the quintessential Safe item, as it could be thrown in a box and forgotten about, if one had all the copies of it. But, it's kind of hard to know if one has all of said copies, "infected" individuals could apparently create more independently, it wasn't known how many copies already existed prior to its discovery and containment, and of course if it somehow got onto the Internet then it'd effectively be impossible to contain, which is why I think there was disagreement. Still, I think I eventually stuck with Safe, since that was my original inclination.

was this the 'choked and died' one?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

p sure you're thinking Goodkind, not Jordan

"Goodkind is neither."

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Wanderer posted:

I mean, he calls lesbians "pillow friends"

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Parahexavoctal posted:

was this the 'choked and died' one?

Nope. Never stated what the thing did, outside of replicating itself and apparently compelling some people to help spread it. It was implied to probably be bad, since this was written back when SCP was still a horror thing, but I figured that it didn't really need to be explicit that it committed horrible murder or whatever for it to be spooky and probably worth keeping locked up.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Actually this is his final line:

This is amazing.

Thank you.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Someone linked this thread and after reading it I'm like "how the gently caress does anyone believe this is a real thing that happened?"

https://twitter.com/TabletopLoot/status/1203817349595435008?s=19

This is the most made up story I've seen in a while. It's somebody writing fanfiction about themselves

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

This is the most made up story I've seen in a while. It's somebody writing fanfiction about themselves

And that girl?

She grew up to be Albert Einstein.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Watch out, this guy has a gencon shirt.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There are a couple of people in the replies making the obvious "You could hear a pin drop" "Everybody clapped" jokes. I would reply the same but it was a personal friend who retweeted it and I don't want to belittle them. I don't know how she reads this and believes it, she's literally a tenured professor of literature

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

There are a couple of people in the replies making the obvious "You could hear a pin drop" "Everybody clapped" jokes. I would reply the same but it was a personal friend who retweeted it and I don't want to belittle them. I don't know how she reads this and believes it, she's literally a tenured professor of literature

If you're not used to the internet, the idea that people might make up elaborate fictional stories showcasing their own heroism isn't an intuitive one. The vast majority of people in real life don't behave that way.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Me: "Excuse me, is your Constitution 18? Then you have 14 hit points"

Girl: ...

Girl's Dad: Who the gently caress are you and why are you talking to my daughter?

Me: I have some books she may be interested in, in my car. Here let me give her something from my pockets

Dad(draws gun): Get the gently caress away from my family!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
While you studied the blade I formed d&d parties.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

It's funny that you hold professors to some sort of higher standard when most of them are just as dog poo poo stupid as the rest of us (except in their incredibly narrow field of expertise)

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
literature professors ought to be good at critically evaluating text. that is literally their field of expertise

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Earnestly posted:

drat, got the newest OotS book in the mail yesterday. That was quick. Rich must have finished the comic over a month ago.

It's also like an inch thick

This just reminded me to buy the PDF. And - is he ever going to make Snips and Snails a PDF? Or did he and I missed it?

EDIT: OHGOD Roy with hands is not right.

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 12, 2019

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

literature professors ought to be good at critically evaluating text. that is literally their field of expertise

I mean come on we know that most of em are just in it for the fantastic money and the endless power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lychnis
Jul 22, 2015

Flowers are beautiful, and smell nice.
Snips and Snails was advertised as an "Ookadook Exclusive." So while I'm sure he'll figure out some way to re-release its content in the future, it won't be in exactly the same collection.