Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
This Saturday blitz lark's not bad exercise y'know! Phone reckons I've walked nearly 15 miles today in between doorknocking and posting about 1000 letters (never done the leafletting/letters bit before and don't think I ever will again, good loving lord).

I'm not caught up and feel like I've been on another planet all day. I'm told the polls say It's Happening, but I'm still not letting that into my zone... Hope you all had a good Super Satda in your various constituencies, comrades ;>

Ms Adequate posted:

lmao oh poo poo, this isn't going to be great for the tories.

But a sensible non-voting centrist on the doors told me today that the NHS *definitely* isn't going to be harmed and it's all scaremongering? How could this be.

(Told him I work in mental health services and we're ALREADY being harmed, that this isn't some abstract game or political pointscoring, the Bad Things are real and they're happening now. Think I made some headway...)

E: 107BC - the uprising of Saumachus against Mithridates VI in the Kingdom of the Cimmerian Bosporus. Some academics consider this a (successful, at first!) slave revolt.

Shogi fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lettering does take a lot of time it's true.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

If anyone hasn't seen this ad it is surreal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pShKu2icEYw

A leaked excerpt from the script for the sequel to this ad:

quote:

Honey! This year I got you a stairmaster :heysexy:

:j:

And a pole dancing pole! :pervert:

:crossarms:

And a jade egg! :mrapig:

:gonk:

I'm not trying to suggest that pole dancing must be sexual and objectifying, just that Wonderful Husband probably thinks so. Frankly, I'd like to try it myself some time. It looks fun, and I enjoy callisthenics and the elements of gymnastics that I have tried :)

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
And then she leaves him for a healthier person from the pole dancing class.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Bundy posted:

e: ^ statistically yes, the Labour party has fewer anti-Semites by % than any other party and no higher than the population in general. The problem is people conflating anti-Zionism with anti-Semitism.
https://twitter.com/votetools/status/1203415971718938629

Hey now, it's more important that we find out where this information came from rather than what it means.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Wait, "bottom cornflakes"? Is Boris an adherent of the teachings of John Harvey Kellogg? Yoghurt enemas, electrotherapy, unsexy food etc.

Hmm. Oh, I see. What first turned him on to Kellogg's teachings must have been this:

Wikipedia posted:

Kellogg was outspoken on his beliefs on race and segregation, though he himself raised several black foster children. In 1906, together with Irving Fisher and Charles Davenport, Kellogg founded the Race Betterment Foundation, which became a major center of the new eugenics movement in America. Kellogg was in favor of racial segregation and believed that immigrants and non-whites would damage the gene pool.[123]

I expect Boris got into the rest after losing track of how many children he has, in the hope of reducing the production of more. Unfortunately, anaphrodisic foods haven't helped. Boris has tried everything recommended by Kellogg, apart from circumcision:

Wikipedia posted:

As a leader of the anti-masturbation movement, Kellogg promoted extreme measures to prevent masturbation. He circumcised himself at age 37. His methods for the "rehabilitation" of masturbators included measures up to the point of mutilation without anesthetic, on both sexes. He was an advocate of circumcising young boys to curb masturbation and applying carbolic acid to a young woman's clitoris. In his Plain Facts for Old and Young,[37] he wrote:

"A remedy which is almost always successful in small boys is circumcision, especially when there is any degree of phimosis. The operation should be performed by a surgeon without administering an anesthetic, as the brief pain attending the operation will have a salutary effect upon the mind, especially if it be connected with the idea of punishment, as it may well be in some cases. The soreness which continues for several weeks interrupts the practice, and if it had not previously become too firmly fixed, it may be forgotten and not resumed.[51] "

further

"a method of treatment [to prevent masturbation] ... and we have employed it with entire satisfaction. It consists in the application of one or more silver sutures in such a way as to prevent erection. The prepuce, or foreskin, is drawn forward over the glans, and the needle to which the wire is attached is passed through from one side to the other. After drawing the wire through, the ends are twisted together, and cut off close. It is now impossible for an erection to occur, and the slight irritation thus produced acts as a most powerful means of overcoming the disposition to resort to the practice"

and

"In females, the author has found the application of pure carbolic acid (phenol) to the clitoris an excellent means of allaying the abnormal excitement."

He also recommended, to prevent children from this "solitary vice", bandaging or tying their hands, covering their genitals with patented cages and electrical shock.[37]

In his Ladies' Guide in Health and Disease, for nymphomania, he recommended

"Cool sitz baths; the cool enema; a spare diet; the application of blisters and other irritants to the sensitive parts of the sexual organs, the removal of the clitoris and nymphae..."

Johnson's getting desperate. Bozza may have to sacrifice his schlozza.

Pictured: Boris Johnson's tarnished bellend. Image credit: The Spectator

Bonus:

Wikipedia posted:

Even today one can visit the Kellogg Discovery Center in Battle Creek, Michigan, and sit on Kellogg's vibrating chair, which is equipped to mechanically oscillate 20 times per second.[83]

Kellogg strongly warned against the habit in his own words, claiming of masturbation-related deaths "such a victim literally dies by his own hand", among other condemnations.

Kellogg considered sexual climax to be a serious exhaustion of nervous energy writing "..[sex] is accompanied by a peculiar nervous spasm, ...one more exhausting to the system than any other..."[115]

No, that's just all exercise :trumpsmug:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've seen markilplier do pole dancing and I am not convinced it can be non-sexual.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Hang on a minute.. doesn't Boris saying they need to find the leaker basically mean that (a) the document is in fact genuine, and (b) Russia has hacked some server where the government is keeping important documents.
Both these things seem significant (even more so than the distinct Trumpian vibe of hunt the leaker).

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
His generation is a bunch of crappy crispy cornflakes.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

:hai: jam grandpa will usher in a thousand years of red communism and it’ll be really inspiring for us across the pond

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

OzyMandrill posted:

Hang on a minute.. doesn't Boris saying they need to find the leaker basically mean that (a) the document is in fact genuine, and (b) Russia has hacked some server where the government is keeping important documents.
Both these things seem significant (even more so than the distinct Trumpian vibe of hunt the leaker).

"Find the leaker" at least means "find the person leaking things", I'm not sure where you're getting "and also servers have been compromised by crackers"

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

OwlFancier posted:

Lettering does take a lot of time it's true.

I'm being a bit unfair tbf, it was pretty satisfying and meditative in a way, and it's great exercise once you're into the swing of doing it briskly. Think I'm more the talky type though.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bundy posted:

Help I can't tell if this is parody or not
I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but this means you're a Tory.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

I'm getting Poes law'd so hard here.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

you're the goon in Joanna Cherry's seat, right? just saw the opposing labour candidate's awful attempts at weighing in on trans issues and i would just like to extend my sympathies

i mean she was never going to be as good as the Bang And The Terf Is Gone Meme candidate but "(biological) women" yikes

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

wocobob posted:

https://twitter.com/craigblackoreyt/status/1203313756131987456?s=21

Potentially relevant tweet for canvassers in here. For reference, Barnsley Central is one of the only seats where the MRP has BXP as within striking distance of a labour incumbent.

Even the YouGov MRP with Labour 11 points behind has both seats as 'Likely Labour'. Barnsley Central has a 15,000 Labour majority.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but if we're losing seats like that then the Tories have already won by a landslide so who gives a gently caress about Dan Jarvis. Spend your canvassing efforts in marginals, there is zero point running a defensive campaign when we need to gain seats to form a government.

EDIT: It's also very telling/frustrating that YouGov published their MRP much earlier than 2017 but haven't updated it for weeks, whereas last time it changed practically daily. They don't want to make the mistake of telling the public that Labour are closing the gap.

jabby fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 7, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shogi posted:

I'm being a bit unfair tbf, it was pretty satisfying and meditative in a way, and it's great exercise once you're into the swing of doing it briskly. Think I'm more the talky type though.

I will say I've gotten to enjoy several different varieties of estate design doing lettering, which dovetails nicely with a mild interest in urban planning coming off city builders.

I will also say that the weird snaking nested court/cul de sac design, while very nice for being sheltered and walkability, is a pain in the loving arse if you're delivering a hundred letters in sequence and the house numbers go in random loving runs in all directions.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

sinky posted:

Wasn't that found to be not true?

It might be talking about the CAA analysis - there was one from 2017 (I think) that showed antisemitic attitudes were most prevalent on the right. So this time around they combined antisemitic statements with criticism of Israel and wouldn't you know it now the far left has the highest number

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol at the sun and tom newton dunn in particular trying to memory hole that article

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One other thing I was wondering. Your CLP gets updated registers from the electoral roll over time, yeah? But it takes time for them to be sent out and longer for them to be loaded into labour's system.

So that means we're not talking to any of the new registrants, basically?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

when you're good at your job of being a political journalist

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1203313840752070656?s=20

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Bundy posted:

"Find the leaker" at least means "find the person leaking things", I'm not sure where you're getting "and also servers have been compromised by crackers"

If it was a 'leaker', it would have gone to the press somewhere, or the Canary, or 1000 other places. The fact it came out via the network of 67 accounts 'linked to Russia' suggests otherwise. The 'Russian connection' being coyly alluded to by the BBC, appears to be drawing parallels to the DNC email hack type shenanigans, of the type Boris has recently suppressed a report into.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
interesting juxtaposition of headlines on the guardian frontpage rn

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
:siren: HORNY ALERT :siren:

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1203429841346945024

Also, if you'd asked me before the election how I thought Deborah Meaden might vote, I would have instantly said 'Tory', so it's good to see she's actually a good'un

https://twitter.com/DeborahMeaden/status/1203030909722746880

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 7, 2019

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Braggart posted:

Yoghurt enemas, electrotherapy

:frogon:

quote:

I expect Boris got into the rest after losing track of how many children he has, in the hope of reducing the production of more. Unfortunately, anaphrodisic foods haven't helped. Boris has tried everything recommended by Kellogg, apart from circumcision:

Well he's dumb as hell then because severe phimosis is solved through circumcision and Business has been much easier for me since I got cut.

I'm down with no anaesthetic though.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

jabby posted:

EDIT: It's also very telling/frustrating that YouGov published their MRP much earlier than 2017 but haven't updated it for weeks, whereas last time it changed practically daily. They don't want to make the mistake of telling the public that Labour are closing the gap.

They are apparently issuing an update on Tuesday, so uh anyone who doesn't want a lot of pollchat on their forums might want to find something else to do that evening

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Oh hey, Boris wants to reward Tory donors:

https://twitter.com/StevePowers_/status/1203360504137371648

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/mojos55/status/1203434769515720704

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Kitfox88 posted:

:hai: jam grandpa will usher in a thousand years of red communism and it’ll be really inspiring for us across the pond

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Lyric video is up! If anyone would like to give us a hand and share it, it would be greatly appreciated.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=h1FF3wqBFm4

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/TheLabourLeftie/status/1203409314070876160

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Angepain posted:

you're the goon in Joanna Cherry's seat, right? just saw the opposing labour candidate's awful attempts at weighing in on trans issues and i would just like to extend my sympathies

i mean she was never going to be as good as the Bang And The Terf Is Gone Meme candidate but "(biological) women" yikes

I haven't seen that and can't find it. Do you have a link?

I was never really expecting this seat to flip, particularly after Labour's previous candidate stood down, but a single seat is less important than getting a Labour government into power nationally.

My commiserations to all trans and nonbinary people in my constituency though. Cherry doesn't believe I'm real either :dksays:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Bardeh posted:

:siren: HORNY ALERT :siren:

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1203429841346945024

Also, if you'd asked me before the election how I thought Deborah Meaden might vote, I would have instantly said 'Tory', so it's good to see she's actually a good'un

https://twitter.com/DeborahMeaden/status/1203030909722746880

She's reportedly worth about 60 million, if she'd rather lose her money than her soul I have bad news for her soul.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/1203109109299646464?s=20

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/simonmaginn/status/1203354428616663042

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

I see you're not as interested in unsexy food :D

quote:

Well he's dumb as hell then because severe phimosis is solved through circumcision and Business has been much easier for me since I got cut.

I'm down with no anaesthetic though.

I have no idea whether Bozza is circumcised nor do I know any other facts about his penis. But that won't stop me making jokes about the wanker ;)

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

I hope Jez can lock down the imperialist vote now

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...
The polls! The polls!

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1203427476254478336
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1203422629409050624
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1203386379226505221

And a few interesting constituency polls:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1203394680697872387
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1203396078604865536
So, some stray observations:

1. *Deep sigh* It's really not looking good for Labour. Back in 2017 there was a big divergence in the headline polling figures which suggested an underlying error. This time, aside from that bonkers BMG one, the polls are a lot more solidly coalesced around an 8-10 point Tory lead. As it stands, there would need to be a pretty substantial systemic polling error for Labour's odds to increase.
2. The Lib-Dems are gonna gently caress Labour out of seats and it'll be just as enraging as you expect.
3. None of this matters and you should still vote as much as you can.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

And unlike you proles, I do in fact understand the importance of working. I have seen Nanny do it many times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol i'm in an arguemtn on facebook and when i've linked to stats showing number of people using food banks or poverty just been responded to with

quote:

oh look at me, I can share news reports about food banks, without any substance as to why people are in such a place. Seriously. You think that will get better under Corbyn? Do you have your own views or just rely on links to reports... just out of curiosity. The post started with quotes and first hands accounts, not easy copy and paste bollocks