Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Braggart posted:

I haven't seen that and can't find it. Do you have a link?

I was never really expecting this seat to flip, particularly after Labour's previous candidate stood down, but a single seat is less important than getting a Labour government into power nationally.

My commiserations to all trans and nonbinary people in my constituency though. Cherry doesn't believe I'm real either :dksays:

https://twitter.com/HarryJosieGiles/status/1203409303736111104

it's definitely in the "I think i'm being inclusive but i'm actually showing my ignorance repeatedly" genre rather than the open-hatred genre, but it's still not great

e: the number 108 is considered sacred in some religious practices, which I could look up in detail the fascinating history behind for the enlightenment of the forums audience but can't be arsed sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Of course it did! The Economist is for people who can spell Pinochet!

Pictured: An ancient Johnson, pink and filled with blood under high pressure

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

ABC AUSTRALIA posted:

"It is a big decision for someone like myself who has voted Labour all my life to back Boris Johnson but that is exactly what I'm going to do," Mr Ridley told the ABC from his home just outside Workington.

"I think the Labour party no longer represents the working man of the north, so that's why I'll vote Conservative.

"You know it is difficult for somebody with my background to vote Conservative but I feel it will be best for certainly my family and the country," he said.

Oh dear.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1203346176520515584?s=19

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Angepain posted:

https://twitter.com/HarryJosieGiles/status/1203409303736111104

it's definitely in the "I think i'm being inclusive but i'm actually showing my ignorance repeatedly" genre rather than the open-hatred genre, but it's still not great

e: the number 108 is considered sacred in some religious practices, which I could look up in detail the fascinating history behind for the enlightenment of the forums audience but can't be arsed sorry

loving hell, Scotland, enough with the TERFs. She's ex-SNP too, which isn't encouraging. Whatever, I'll still vote Labour, and if she does get in then as a constituent maybe I can raise some hell about it if she doesn't shape up. I can certainly encourage my politically motivated trans and nonbinary friends to get involved :getin: :justtrans: :dksays:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Jose posted:

lol i'm in an arguemtn on facebook and when i've linked to stats showing number of people using food banks or poverty just been responded to with

"if the conservatives are trying to reduce the number of people using food banks, why do you think that the numbers of people using food banks have gone up after 9 years of tory rule"?

edit:

Oh boy, time for the TERF brigade in the UK to stand up and start screaming about how being called a TERF is like being told OK BOOMER which is in turn, the new, and much worse, n word.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Drone_Fragger posted:

"if the conservatives are trying to reduce the number of people using food banks, why do you think that the numbers of people using food banks have gone up after 9 years of tory rule"?

edit:

Oh boy, time for the TERF brigade in the UK to stand up and start screaming about how being called a TERF is like being told OK BOOMER which is in turn, the new, and much worse, n word.

They aren't dying fast enough

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Braggart posted:

I see you're not as interested in unsexy food :D

Oh I avoided that because I assumed it would kick off crispchat and poor twisto would have themself an aneurysm :v:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

there was a bar just off Glasgow Central station that for a long time advertised "sexy food" in its window. I never had the guts to go in and discover what exactly "sexy food" involved. a panini with a little bikini on, perhaps

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Angepain posted:

there was a bar just off Glasgow Central station that for a long time advertised "sexy food" in its window. I never had the guts to go in and discover what exactly "sexy food" involved. a panini with a little bikini on, perhaps

Binini.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
https://twitter.com/HxOvAx/status/1203340735501733888?s=20

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Firos posted:

Binini.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

Oh I avoided that because I assumed it would kick off crispchat and poor twisto would have themself an aneurysm :v:

Which crisps go best with beans up yer backside, thread?

Gosh, would you look at the time? I must be off to bed. Guess I'm going to miss crisps-and-butthole chat. Oh well! :D

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

One other thing I was wondering. Your CLP gets updated registers from the electoral roll over time, yeah? But it takes time for them to be sent out and longer for them to be loaded into labour's system.

So that means we're not talking to any of the new registrants, basically?

Our county electoral registration officer sent out all the new registrations as at approx 1st December - around 1500 - and I know they've all been sent (mostly hand delivered) an individual letter. ED: it wasn't just new regs it included changes of address eg myself was on it.

Angepain posted:

In Egypt (before the revolution) they had a clampdown on "Provocative Goods" - erm not sex toys but the list included foreign pet food and cos lettuce.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

yeah this sums it up about

https://twitter.com/uncooljerk/status/1203354203944554496

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Braggart posted:

Which crisps go best with beans up yer backside, thread?

Gosh, would you look at the time? I must be off to bed. Guess I'm going to miss crisps-and-butthole chat. Oh well! :D

Marmite ones

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

I confess I am getting anxious about the election (not sure the people coming in to the thread and saying "we're clearly going to lose, look at this objective information" are helping much). But if the Tories get a majority, there's always violent insurrection, right?

deano
Sep 6, 2000

Yeah after seeing some of the poo poo in the comments think ill be chucking another donation into the pot.

Also nice sign, be a shame if you left it alone for a while.

deano fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 8, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is not violent insurrection, but you'd best make sure to tell people who it was that took their future from them, and that they must not ever be forgiven for it.

No more mercy for the decrepit filth that can't conscience the slightest inconvenience for themselves so their children can have a future.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

The fun thing about all these 65+ voters voting Tory is that they don’t realise that most of them are not actually that rich (without selling the house) and that paying for healthcare upfront is very expensive and no way would private insurance touch them with a barge pole

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

There is not violent insurrection,

Not even a bit?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Jollity Farm posted:

I confess I am getting anxious about the election (not sure the people coming in to the thread and saying "we're clearly going to lose, look at this objective information" are helping much). But if the Tories get a majority, there's always violent insurrection, right?

I don’t understand how any of you can keep your hopes up. I can’t bring myself to entertain the idea of a Corbyn victory because I hate the disappointment.

I just try and help individually and despair nationally.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Jollity Farm posted:

If the tories win a majority, I wouldn't be remotely surprised to see things get violent in the next few years. Not right away; there'll be a sense of not being "allowed" to get lairy about losing an election and the tories will be able to say "Look we need some time to sort things out" that the press will present with minimal criticism. But once Brexit happens and things start accelerating downhill and people realize "Hang about the tories really have sold the NHS and we're all hungrier and poorer than ever"? Bets are off.

However, I'm thinking a tory majority outright is very unlikely. A tory minority government? Possible, but just leaves us back where we are right now and I'd expect it to lead to another election within months. I think a Labour minority government is the most likely outcome (Especially as Sturgeon has been carefully leaving the door open a crack for supporting such a government). A Labour majority? Looks pretty unlikely as well, but I honestly think it's significantly more likely than a tory majority is.

Maintain, if not unrestrained confidence, at least a degree of optimism! Look at how much energy we have, how many people will stick out the weather to see Corbyn speak, how many young people registered to vote, just the different levels of energy in the campaigns, the difference between an exciting and dynamic and forward-looking Labour manifesto vs. a tory manifesto that seems to be almost entirely "Brexit, and some afterthoughts", and historic evidence of the polls being, uh, shall we generously say, a little wide of the mark. We absolutely don't have anything in the bag, but we absolutely do have it all to play for!

deano
Sep 6, 2000

Ms Adequate posted:

Maintain, if not unrestrained confidence, at least a degree of optimism! Look at how much energy we have, how many people will stick out the weather to see Corbyn speak, how many young people registered to vote, just the different levels of energy in the campaigns, the difference between an exciting and dynamic and forward-looking Labour manifesto vs. a tory manifesto that seems to be almost entirely "Brexit, and some afterthoughts", and historic evidence of the polls being, uh, shall we generously say, a little wide of the mark. We absolutely don't have anything in the bag, but we absolutely do have it all to play for!

This ^^^ so much this, trying to overturn a 53% tory here and Im telling everyone thats willing to listen to do the right thing, only had a few hold outs but at least after a chat or two they aint voting tory at least. work continues. :D

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
As if that reprehensible dog's oval office has ever done a day's work in his tragically long life.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
hello thread my partner has just moved to bristol for work, so I'm taking the train out from london to go have a day dicking around the city tomorrow. Neither of us know the place at all, so Bristol goons please tell us cool (and ideally not expensive) things to do and places to eat/drink!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

We absolutely don't have anything in the bag, but we absolutely do have it all to play for!
We have a world to win.

ThomasPaine posted:

hello thread my partner has just moved to bristol for work, so I'm taking the train out from london to go have a day dicking around the city tomorrow. Neither of us know the place at all, so Bristol goons please tell us cool (and ideally not expensive) things to do and places to eat/drink!
Not Bristol but I did have a very nice weekend there with advice from mfcrocker and Fluo :rip:

Avoid the Harbourside/waterfront being the main one, and visit The Hatchet Inn being another.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
If the Tories win again I have room for one person on the pullout couch/bed in the living room if you want to move up hey.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Pilchenstein posted:

As if that reprehensible dog's oval office has ever done a day's work in his tragically long life.

The worst part is a lot of people that lap those sort of lines up.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Coohoolin posted:

If the Tories win again I have room for one person on the pullout couch/bed in the living room if you want to move up hey.

Tempting but I fear I'd start gaining opinions on scotpol.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I miss New Labour where everything was technocratic.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Technocracy is just philosopher kings but with added steps.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
As someone watching from Ireland who’ll never have the privilege of voting for a party leader like Jeremy Corbyn, I hope you all pull this one off.

I also frankly do not understand some of the people deciding to vote Tory on their performance of the last few years.

Best of luck.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Chuka Umana posted:

I miss New Labour where everything was technocratic.

I don't.

It's literally exactly the same system that produced this pile of idiots.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

OwlFancier posted:

I don't.

It's literally exactly the same system that produced this pile of idiots.

Blair was scum but I think Brown had his heart in the right place, especially early on, then drank the 'electability' kool-aid and ironically torpedoed himself lol

e: by all accounts Brown was a total firebrand as a young man, and his academic work on poverty is still considered good.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

Blair was scum but I think Brown had his heart in the right place, especially early on, then drank the 'electability' kool-aid and ironically torpedoed himself lol
Brown was massively hosed by not calling an election in 2007 (which led to him up until 2010 being referred to as "the unelected Prime Minister" in the same way Tories never are) and by the 2008 financial crisis.

Theres another massive financial crash close on the horizon but this time the entire media in this country will come out arms swinging to defend the government because its led by another half-brained, right wing oval office.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The blair system is what produced the load of poo poo we've had to spend the last three years getting rid of in the labour party and it's also what left the tories with this shower of inbred morons as well. Technocracy produces the worst kind of careerist filth that does nothing but incestuously fornicate with their mates in the press because that's all they know how to do. gently caress the lot of them.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Honestly I felt the second way about both :shrug:

Here's something encouraging:
https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1203398661390163969

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/JackHenno_13/status/1203455483077709825?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

I'm anxious because my wee one is in hospital.

She's only two weeks old but is a bit fevered and struggling with her breathing. It's likely a viral thing but they're now a bit worried it could be bacterial and ate prepping her for antibiotics. Doing bloods literally right now in what is likely one of the best children's units in the world.

I'm pretty sure I am well off income wise in terms of the thread average although I would hardly be paying more tax under Labour. I would though. They could slap 50% on my national insurance to resource the NHS and I would pay it gladly.

This election result looks touch and go at best to me right now and we might never solve all our problems with politics. But while there is still hope for a better tomorrow we have a moral duty to take it to these arrogant wreckers, who trade lives to serve their own ambitions, on every front.