Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ranzear posted:

There's this trope in Gundam and whatever of the quiet stoic protagonist, but then there's an extra step further of the truly unflinching ones like Heero and Mikazuki. What sets these two apart for me is they never ever talk about their own aspirations or goals, and I kinda want to dig into the prevalence of this archetype. They aren't psychopaths though, just very capable and sometimes robotic. Are there any others that stand out like that?

I may have realized why these characters in particular resonate with me, but I want to study a few more examples. The tl;dr is that Mikazuki definitely reads to me as potentially aphantasic.

Mika does talk about his aspirations sometimes. He wants to live on a farm, and he wants to reach the place Orga talks about. There's something incredibly off about him, but he doesn't seem aphantastic, especially not with the scenes where we see him flashing back to the alley.

(There's apparently a radio drama CD or similar with an interesting bit on the topic. Orga talks about a dream he had of the whole of Tekkadan together on the farm.Then Mika says he had a dream too. He immediately starts on describing the exact same thing. When Orga points that out, Mika responds

"Your dream is my dream, Orga.")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Mika does talk about his aspirations sometimes. He wants to live on a farm, and he wants to reach the place Orga talks about. There's something incredibly off about him, but he doesn't seem aphantastic, especially not with the scenes where we see him flashing back to the alley.

(There's apparently a radio drama CD or similar with an interesting bit on the topic. Orga talks about a dream he had of the whole of Tekkadan together on the farm.Then Mika says he had a dream too. He immediately starts on describing the exact same thing. When Orga points that out, Mika responds

"Your dream is my dream, Orga.")

Both of those fit with aphantasia. Aphantasia is not an inability to recall memories or have goals, but in most degrees the inability to visualize unique images. Mika's interactions with Orga about 'that place' are because he can't see himself being elsewhere. The latter is strong aphantasic behavior, though aphantasics can still have regular dreams and even hypnagogic visuals (which would fit seeing himself with Orga at the end). I'm not trying to imply Mika was actively written this way, but I'm wondering if some of his behaviors come from other works and whether a specific set of behaviors as a trope might come from interacting with someone with aphantasia.

A counterexample is from skimwatching Gargantia just now: During the climax he sees the girl in her flying machine in his mind, and that changes his mind about what he's doing and sets up the brobot yeet. Its a bit literal of an interpretation, but I wasn't getting the same read on him anyway.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 7, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ranzear posted:

There's this trope in Gundam and whatever of the quiet stoic protagonist, but then there's an extra step further of the truly unflinching ones like Heero and Mikazuki. What sets these two apart for me is they never ever talk about their own aspirations or goals, and I kinda want to dig into the prevalence of this archetype. They aren't psychopaths though, just very capable and sometimes robotic. Are there any others that stand out like that?

I may have realized why these characters in particular resonate with me, but I want to study a few more examples. The tl;dr is that Mikazuki definitely reads to me as potentially aphantasic.

Mikazuki actually does talk about his own aspirations quite often. It is just that when he gets crippled he stops because he can't be a farmer anymore.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Yeah I just phrased that poorly. I was thinking much more of Heero in that sentence and I'm not 100% on my interpretation of him yet.

This goes even further with Mika talking about that memory with Orga being the day he was born. Not as a walking talking killing machine, but as a person with a future by proxy of Orga, even if he himself can't see it.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 7, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Mikazuki actually does talk about his own aspirations quite often. It is just that when he gets crippled he stops because he can't be a farmer anymore.

Or, to be more precise, because he doesn't think he can farm easily or well, but he can definitely still be an incredibly capable pilot and Orga's mightiest weapon. If farming was impossible for him, he wouldn't have fried his brain again to make sure he couldn't do it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Gripweed posted:

The guy from Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet is like that. The whole show is about that kind of character finding himself in a situation without any immediate mission and having to adjust to a slow, peaceful life defined by relationships with other people

I see Gargantia as a series about deprograming a kid from a fascist dictatorship.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

I see Gargantia as a series about deprograming a kid from a fascist dictatorship.

Yeah that's what I got from it. Regular child soldier stuff. That's usually just the run-of-the-mill 'quiet stoic' I mentioned.

Mika seems disconnected in an entirely different way to most people; the constantly flat expression, weirdness with physical contact, surgical intensity, personal perfectionism, tendency to hover near a conversation and interject once necessary ... but all of that ranged from sensible to way too familiar to me and I couldn't figure why until now.

Hell, the person who manged to properly piss him off the most was the image-obsessed Carta, whose death I nearly celebrated. I'd figure only a fellow aphant could write a character that obnoxious to me. Who is the actual core writer of IBO? Kazuma Isobe or Mari Okada? Okada seems more like a screenplay adapter, and both the anime and manga released around the same time so I can't figure out which is the adaptation, lol.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Dec 7, 2019

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ranzear posted:

Yeah that's what I got from it. Regular child soldier stuff. That's usually just the run-of-the-mill 'quiet stoic' I mentioned.

Mika seems disconnected in an entirely different way to most people; the constantly flat expression, weirdness with physical contact, surgical intensity, personal perfectionism, tendency to hover near a conversation and interject once necessary ... but all of that ranged from sensible to way too familiar to me and I couldn't figure why until now.

Hell, the person who manged to properly piss him off the most was the image-obsessed Carta, whose death I nearly celebrated. I'd figure only a fellow aphant could write a character that obnoxious to me. Who is the actual core writer of IBO? Kazuma Isobe or Mari Okada? Okada seems more like a screenplay adapter, and both the anime and manga released around the same time so I can't figure out which is the adaptation, lol.

It was Okada. Like with most Gundam stuff, the manga is an adaptation and the anime is the original.

Okada's done a good chunk of adaptations, but that's just because she's one of the most prolific screenwriters in the anime industry. She's also done a lot of original work, and even adapted a show from her own manga.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Is there a way to watch the Brave franchise legally?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

You can buy Gaogaigar and Betterman on DVD and maybe blu ray? The rest of them were never licensed in any capacity.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Droyer posted:

You can buy Gaogaigar and Betterman on DVD and maybe blu ray? The rest of them were never licensed in any capacity.

Looks like those DVDs are super out of print. I shall resort to crime.

Is there a recommended viewing order, other than just production order? Any duds I should avoid?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gripweed posted:

Is there a recommended viewing order, other than just production order? Any duds I should avoid?

The series are completely unconnected. Gaogaigar is the best produced, J-Decker and Mightgaine are generally considered above average monster-of-the-weeks, and the others exist if you need yet further content.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

They're all entirely unconnected except dagwon which has an ova and gaogaigar which is connected to betterman, gaogaigar FINAL and the gaogaigar vs betterman novel.

The worst one is either Exkaiser just for being the most basic one and having a severe lack of stakes, or Dagwon for really failing to do anything with its cast and not doing anything to make up for it.

My personal favorite is J-Decker for being the most introspective one, it does a lot of really neat character stuff and is the only one that really treats the robots like proper characters. With that said though other ones excel in other ways, Goldran is basically a full-time comedy and is very funny, Might Gaine has the best rogue's gallery, Gaogaigar has the greatest scope and is also the most well-animated. A lot of people go to bat for Da-garn and while i don't dislike it I suspect it kind of gets a free pass for being the only one most people have seen other than gaogaigar. A big reason people bring up for why its good is that it grows out of an episodic story into longer arcs in its second half, but IMO it flounders both the main character's arc and one of its major themes but YMMV i guess.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Ranzear posted:

I don't really know what this has to do with aphantasia, because IME it's not really a personality or social trait except insofar as you respond differently to some nonvisual stimuli.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Droyer posted:

They're all entirely unconnected except dagwon which has an ova and gaogaigar which is connected to betterman, gaogaigar FINAL and the gaogaigar vs betterman novel.

The worst one is either Exkaiser just for being the most basic one and having a severe lack of stakes, or Dagwon for really failing to do anything with its cast and not doing anything to make up for it.

My personal favorite is J-Decker for being the most introspective one, it does a lot of really neat character stuff and is the only one that really treats the robots like proper characters. With that said though other ones excel in other ways, Goldran is basically a full-time comedy and is very funny, Might Gaine has the best rogue's gallery, Gaogaigar has the greatest scope and is also the most well-animated. A lot of people go to bat for Da-garn and while i don't dislike it I suspect it kind of gets a free pass for being the only one most people have seen other than gaogaigar. A big reason people bring up for why its good is that it grows out of an episodic story into longer arcs in its second half, but IMO it flounders both the main character's arc and one of its major themes but YMMV i guess.

That's a fair criticism of da-garn. I mostly like how empathetic it is to its villains, Butcho's arc in particular is enjoyable to see unfold. Although it's kind of weird that he's the one that gets a big redemption arc when he's the only villain to successfully kill one of the braves and tortures another one and it's never brought up again

It also just has a fun tone, like how some of the villains regularly eat at the vegan restaurant incognito

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

That's a fair criticism of da-garn. I mostly like how empathetic it is to its villains, Butcho's arc in particular is enjoyable to see unfold. Although it's kind of weird that he's the one that gets a big redemption arc when he's the only villain to successfully kill one of the braves and tortures another one and it's never brought up again

It also just has a fun tone, like how some of the villains regularly eat at the vegan restaurant incognito

Technically Seven Changer was the one who killed Sky Saber, which makes his "I was a good guy all along" reveal super weird

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Gaogaigar rules cause there's a guy named Pizza.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Droyer posted:

Technically Seven Changer was the one who killed Sky Saber, which makes his "I was a good guy all along" reveal super weird

Oh yeah. Lol

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Caphi posted:

I don't really know what this has to do with aphantasia, because IME it's not really a personality or social trait except insofar as you respond differently to some nonvisual stimuli.

I'm suggesting that some media may contain characters inspired by or even written by aphantasics, and Mikazuki is a prime example. Most aphantasics don't even know they are, because the term has only been around or at least in public knowledge since 2015 or so. Aphantasia runs way deeper than you suggest, and absolutely can be part of personality and socialization. The core of it is an aphantasic can completely lack self image and this alters motivations and goals drastically.

Anyway, that's why I asked for more examples, because Mikazuki almost sticks out too much. I couldn't figure out why Mika's weird behaviors were my weird behaviors until, separately, I learned of my aphantasia and was able to trace them to it. I'm not asking if Mika is aphantasic, I'm wanting to look into how such a character was originated and whether it relates to aphantasia in the writer's personal experience.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Gaogaigar rules cause there's a guy named Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cdIx-tWFug

I'm glad Kajet is doing better these days. Look him up again if you remember this poo poo, because he's back from the dead recently.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ranzear posted:

I'm suggesting that some media may contain characters inspired by or even written by aphantasics, and Mikazuki is a prime example. Most aphantasics don't even know they are, because the term has only been around or at least in public knowledge since 2015 or so. Aphantasia runs way deeper than you suggest, and absolutely can be part of personality and socialization. The core of it is an aphantasic can completely lack self image and this alters motivations and goals drastically.

Anyway, that's why I asked for more examples, because Mikazuki almost sticks out too much. I couldn't figure out why Mika's weird behaviors were my weird behaviors until, separately, I learned of my aphantasia and was able to trace them to it. I'm not asking if Mika is aphantasic, I'm wanting to look into how such a character was originated and whether it relates to aphantasia in the writer's personal experience.

Well, Mari Okada wrote an autobiography if you want context. What I've seen of it has been a pretty good read, and she certainly comes from circumstances.

That said, Mika was written specifically to be weirdly empty according to interviews. The initial concept was "Best pilot ever", but Okada went "Alright, what does that mean? A lot of characters just like to fight, so that would just be redundant. Oh, right. He's going to have a disturbing emptiness leading to existential trauma."

Some interesting stuff out there if you track down some interviews.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Now watch Psybuster.

Curse my Stinkomanian intensity when I think someone is asking me for a challenge. I actually watched an episode of this.

A lot of mech anime kicks off pretty much immediately, or at least hints at it. You get space terrorism, or mad scientists or karate fights or cold blooded murder before the first commercial break to hook the viewer in with the promise of some real action.

Not Cybuster. You're more than halfway into the episode before Cybuster shows up in a scene of... apocalyptic devastation? Like, it feels like it's meant to have that tone, there's a big Akira explosion, but it doesn't do much harm and everything's just done almost immediately, so, I guess mildly unusual property damage is a better fit.

The robot fight after doesn't do much to amp up the stakes. The (secretly not evil!) villain is clearly avoiding killshots even before it ditches, nobody fires any guns, the animation is poor, it's short, and there's no denouement.

Not the animation was better for the rest of the show. There's a scene where someone doesn't move at all as she talks when she's pretty near center frame, which is the sort of sloppy that indicates someone didn't give a gently caress, but mostly it's just the boring kind of eh-to-poor animation.

Really, that describes Cybuster as well as anything. There's moments of active badness, but mostly it's just... fine. The characters are stock, but they're not intolerable, the plot is dull, but enough happens that you don't fall asleep, and in general, it's just kind of there. Going by the first episode*, I'd assume the main reason people say it's terrible is how much effort it puts into going against its source material. Independent of that, I wouldn't watch another episode of my own initiative, but I can think of around half a dozen mech anime I hated more than it.

*(I've looked at some later fight clips, and the show does get even more amazingly half-assed, so I get that there's a real basis. Just noting that as far as I got didn't really make it a hall of famer yet.)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

One episode into Panzer World Galient and my main takeaway so far is "Jordy Volder" is a loving Rural Juror name

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

One episode into Panzer World Galient and my main takeaway so far is "Jordy Volder" is a loving Rural Juror name

You mean true story of Roy Jurner, who's pure furor ensures a terrible murder?

Shocking.

But yeah. It's kind of the opposite of a Tomino name. While "Zuchini Nicchini" is clear nonsense, it's a memorable name that you can easily say assuming you don't mind looking a little silly. Jordy Volder, meanwhile, doesn't look like a name nobody has at first glance (beyond the fact no-one in history has it.), but it makes a mess of any attempt to say it casually, and it kind of sludges up in the brain.

Still haven't got around to any of Galient, and VOTOMs seems to be slowing down again so there's not as much to say about it, but I did see the opener to Heroic Age. And...

I'm not saying it's worse than Cybuster, to be clear. I'm just saying that, given a choice between them, I'd be more likely to watch Cybuster episode 2.

First off, it takes forever to get to what the draw is supposed to be. All the humans are a ragtag fleet of refugees from a destroyed planet searching for the legendary super-weapon Age to try to turn the tide against the endless armies of aliens. All to the good. Except instead of seeing the Battlestar style fight and run, the betting on long odds, and the destruction of the Earth, we just see the powerful people jabbering. They find Age halfway into episode 1, and we don't get any fights until he's around. It's not the kind of space opera where harder science fiction runs smack dab into the age of the gods. It's weird psychic superhumans who apparently lost Earth to aliens stumbling into another, stronger superhuman before we're done with an episode. And since I didn't give a drat about them, it's pretty important that Our Hero be likable and compelling.

Our hero is not likable or compelling.

Although this anime is supposed to be inspired by the legend of Hercules, Age is nothing like Hercules beyond being strong. Instead of a hard drinking, hard fighting, hard loving man of action who still manages to use his brain on any problem in front of him, (when he isn't killing his best friends and family in a rage) Age is a dumb nice kid who can turn into a laser monster. He's sustained by a space monster giving him its spare arms to eat, and he interacts with it and his ship's computer as his only companionship, doing nothing remotely interesting.

I mean, there's room to grow, in theory, but so much was done badly with him that I don't trust the show to do it. Our introduction to characters matters, sets them up for the future. Amuro is a genius with no social skills but a good heart. Chirico Cuvie is an elite special forces soldier who isn't quite the unquestioning machine his superiors want. Lal'c Melk Mark is a cool professional, but she's willing to go out of her way to help a stranger in trouble. Shinji Ikari doesn't want to be in trouble, but he can't run away. They hold together, and they make you want to know more.

Age doesn't make sense. He's raised by a computer with a very limited voice recognition system, but he keeps saying things that get an "error", when you'd think he'd speak in a way that, you know, matched his environment. He also doesn't make any decisions in the episode, just going where the plot takes him. Even in his daily life, he just gets handed everything he needs, including his godlike powers, not for what he does, but just because he's there.

I know this is a reference I go to pretty often lately, but if you compare him to fellow feral idiot gifted with monster powers Denji from Chainsaw Man, you see how dull Age is in comparison, just in the first installment. Denji does things on his own (killing devils and selling his organs to pay off his debt to the yakuza) and Denji wants things (like sex). Without actions or motives, Age is a big wet fart of a character in the intro. And it's not even like his fights are cool yet to make up for it. He just shoots invisible energy rays, and that melts things. The energy rays don't even get the buildup shots to make them have impact. Just... zap. Energy rays. Everything's dead now. (But no friendly fire, because they couldn't go with the most basic parts of making a Hercules analogue)

Also, you know. Hirai-face.

Kind of disappointing that something that combines space wars, giant robots, kaiju, and near human extinction is so dull.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

It had been awhile, but a podcast reminded me to revisit it and lawd, Wings of Goodbye whips rear end.

Who's seen Mazinkaiser SKL? It's p wild and it's only three eps.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pootybutt posted:

It had been awhile, but a podcast reminded me to revisit it and lawd, Wings of Goodbye whips rear end.

Who's seen Mazinkaiser SKL? It's p wild and it's only three eps.

I mentioned seeing it a bit ago in this thread.

It was every bit as wild as I was promised, but I was also pleasantly surprised by Yuuki being cool, useful, and a decent character instead of dead weight.

If you're in the mood for pure id in mech anime form, it's a great time.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Two episodes into Panzer World Galient and my main takeaway so far is I'm disappointed the hero robot isn't also a centaur

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Meanwhile, I'm watching Dallos.

On the side of interest, there's the fact it was the first OVA. Directed in part by Mamoru Oshii, it tells the story of a war between Earth and the moon as workers revolt against their oppressive overlords. It was even released in the USA in 1991, beating the first American produced direct-to-video animation by a good three years.

It's not purely of historical interest, either. As you'd expect from Oshii, the action has some great moments and very nice details, including almost obsessive shots of people reloading by hand. It even has some unique looking mechs, with the rebels having to rebuild their mining equipment into combat machines to fight against Earth's power armor and... weird planes with legs.

It's just primarily of historical interest. Dallos is infamous for its lack of a real conclusion, with things ending where most shows would start. The protagonist has joined the rebellion, the sympathetic Earthling has gone back to Earth to plead for Colonial rights, the Earth governments have declared war, and the machine-god Dallos is awake to do... something after having wiped out both sides of a battle using lasers. And, oddly, nobody seems to care much that there's a self-repairing army wrecking god-machine on the moon built with unknown technology.

The characters are neither particularly interesting or particularly terrible, although some of the motivation is difficult to process at times. The attack on a civilian center when the actual base of the rebels is known may have historical precedent, but it seemed like a pretty questionable move when even the most Earth loyal lunar citizens are openly rebelling in a colony that Earth depends on for survival. (It's also not clear exactly what the Moon is mining, at on my viewing. I know that the H2 fuel explanation most shows go with is unfeasible in real life, but it's at least enough of an answer to go 'oh' and move on.)

It's also notable how nobody on the Earth side even seems to be talking about what the minimum they can do to make the Moon people shut up and work. Neither side seems to have an endgame in play. Even when the rebels get a VIP as a hostage (the fiance of the Marshall sent to restore order to the Moon who's also the daughter of a high ranking Earth politician), several of them talk about just killing her rather than, you know, offering her return in exchange for ceding to certain demands.

It feels like 'What do you want?' and 'how do you get it?' are pretty base level questions when entering into a military conflict, and I don't see answer from anyone on the show.

The animation, while nice for the time, also isn't really on par with good looking modern weeklies, the plot doesn't have original ideas, the pacing has Oshii's tendency towards slow exposition and scene setting without the atmospheric shots that make it work, and in general, it just doesn't do much well enough to be worth seeking out, even if it also doesn't do much wrong enough to be an outright slog.

Again, it's an interesting historic curiosity. Beyond that, it's just another OVA with mechs in it to add to the massive pile. Better than some, worse than others, and frustratingly incomplete even by the most generous standards.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I know there are a lot of contenders for most half-assed transformation, but the Galient is up there. It just leans forward on it's double jointed knees, and then a little thing on the back flops forward

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

It makes a little more sense when you realize that the Galient in that picture is a combiner. I don't believe this is true before Galient gets its mid-season upgrade, but after that point it absolutely is shown it can detach the upper portion bird portion to fly around while the bottom half scoots around being a tank.

It doesn't necessarily make it any less lazy, but it does make it a little more goofy and that's always a plus.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Omnicrom posted:

It makes a little more sense when you realize that the Galient in that picture is a combiner. I don't believe this is true before Galient gets its mid-season upgrade, but after that point it absolutely is shown it can detach the upper portion bird portion to fly around while the bottom half scoots around being a tank.

It doesn't necessarily make it any less lazy, but it does make it a little more goofy and that's always a plus.

Oh it's like Turn A Gundam, where they'll discover more features in this robot they dug up. That's neat

Speaking of which, I got to the part of Panzer World Galient where they go to a valley without any gravity, so it's full of knights with jet packs having laser axe battles around floating dragon skeletons.

Panzer World Galient kinda owns.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Gripweed posted:

Speaking of which, I got to the part of Panzer World Galient where they go to a valley without any gravity, so it's full of knights with jet packs having laser axe battles around floating dragon skeletons.

Panzer World Galient kinda owns.

This is the last episode I saw and I need to watch more of it myself.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

My super short review of Galient is that it's a series with a cool aesthetic that it doesn't capitalize on as well as I'd like, it has some great characters (and a couple of terrible ones), and it has a wonky-rear end ending. It's very definitely a Takahashi show and I'm always up for that, but it doesn't quite come together.

There is one particular thing about the ending that always stuck out at me as kind of weird and wonky, but I have to go WAY into the deepest deep end of spoilers to elaborate on this so if you actually want to watch it please do so and then come back to tell me I'm wrong, THIS MEANS YOU!

Also I don't know how kosher it is to do this, so if I shouldn't have done this let me know and I will promptly excise it.

My problem with the show is that I wish that Jordy and Marder actually had, like, conflict? Like besides the obvious giant robots with swords battling it out conflict. Yes, Marder is the bad guy who wants to conquer the world and leads a fascistic military regime and is keeping Jordy's mom as a prisoner, but he and Jordy are looking in totally different directions. Marder is constantly going on about he's a Shadow Mirror who wants to break up the stagnancy of the Crescent Galaxy with a big interstellar war, but all this is something Jordy knows basically nothing about and couldn't really care less about. And maybe it's justified that he doesn't care because on some level it doesn't matter, Jordy is fighting for Arst, his home, its people, and the scope of the conflict in immediacy is entirely limited to the battle for Arst and moreover winning this war will end Marder's ambitions before they ever even get off the ground, so on some level Jordy doesn't need to care why the bad guy who is directly doing bad things is doing those bad things since his motivation to fight is self-evident. The thing is, though, that when Marder starts waxing philosophical he basically stops engaging with Jordy entirely. They're fighting and you understand why they're fighting, but it still feels kind of odd they're fighting each other for totally different reasons and this goes basically unexamined and it stands out considering how much of Galient's latter portion is comprised of Hilmuka and Uzuben arguing the relative merits of Marder's position. With how much time is spent hashing out the villain's position you'd think there'd be more time for the actual hero of the piece should say "no, you're wrong you psychotic warmonger", but he really never does.

Also Chururu is totally useless and Hy Schultat is the stupidest motherfucking dumbfuck.

Still, fun show and Hilmuka is incredibly awesome. I do not regret watching it and would probably recommend it, warts and all.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm not gonna read that spoiler until I'm done. So I don't know if it has anything to do with my biggest... not exactly an issue, more of a confusion or question? about the show. Which is, why does the bad guy look like Yakub

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, Mari Okada wrote an autobiography if you want context. What I've seen of it has been a pretty good read, and she certainly comes from circumstances.

That said, Mika was written specifically to be weirdly empty according to interviews. The initial concept was "Best pilot ever", but Okada went "Alright, what does that mean? A lot of characters just like to fight, so that would just be redundant. Oh, right. He's going to have a disturbing emptiness leading to existential trauma."

Some interesting stuff out there if you track down some interviews.

quote:

One time, Mr. Shimotani uttered a shocking sentence in the middle of his critique.
“As a girl, you...”
He continued his sentence after that, but the word “girl” stuck with me.
This is obvious, but I was a girl.
This may come as a surprise, but I hadn’t realized it myself. Of course, I knew that I was
biologically a girl. Plenty of girls appeared in the novels and manga I read. They generally
represented the beauty of a clear bell, light daintiness, and the ephemerality of things. None of that
applied to me—a disgusting being that had been branded with the mark of a truant.
I was a truant, and I was also a girl.
Just acknowledging this to myself lifted my heart to a surprising extent.
Mr. Shimotani had done all of this for me, but nowadays, I can’t remember what his personality
was like. I have no doubt that he was a good teacher, but I can’t even remember his face clearly.
I’m sorry to say this, but I could only see myself through Mr. Shimotani. As I mentioned before, he
really was a mirror, and through him I was able to make judgments on my current self. Perhaps Mr.
Shimotani may have noticed that, too, because he continued to play the role that I sought from him.

This uh ... yeah. Wow. This whole chapter is about how Mr. Shimotani got her to write reports about things that would include details about herself. This lack of self concept, of self image, is way too familiar.

I want to meet her now.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I'm kinda stuck on what show to pursue next. I spent way too long on Votoms (most of a year, I wasn't really into it) and then burned through Martian Successor Nadesico in a few weeks. Of what's on VRV, I'm waffling between Sakura Wars and Godannar. Am I going to get totally turned off on Sakura Wars if the theater troupe concept doesn't do it for me out of the gate? Is there anything to Godannar besides being uncomfortably hornt?

Edit: or is there something else i should try? Before this it was Patlabor, which was a lot of fun. I think I'd like more in that vein, if it's out there.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Muffinlord posted:

I'm kinda stuck on what show to pursue next. I spent way too long on Votoms (most of a year, I wasn't really into it) and then burned through Martian Successor Nadesico in a few weeks. Of what's on VRV, I'm waffling between Sakura Wars and Godannar. Am I going to get totally turned off on Sakura Wars if the theater troupe concept doesn't do it for me out of the gate? Is there anything to Godannar besides being uncomfortably hornt?

Edit: or is there something else i should try? Before this it was Patlabor, which was a lot of fun. I think I'd like more in that vein, if it's out there.

Have you seen Big O? Big O is good. It's much more prone to philosophical weirdness than Patlabor, but it has some decent comedy when it wants to. Xabungle's also comedic, to the point of people Loony Toonsing off nuclear explosions, but it's Tomino, so some people don't like how he does things.

Gurren and Diebuster are classics, but you've probably seen them both. Maybe Gorg? It's by Yas, so it has some credentials, and it's supposed to be pretty good. It's kind of an old school kid's adventure, which takes four episodes to even introduce the giant robot, meaning there's lots of shooting, running, and attempted murder using construction equipment before then.

Haven't seen any myself, though, so I'm operating on secondhand information.

(Oh, and what made VOTOMs such a slog? I'm kinda slowly trudging through myself, so I'm curious if we've got the same issues. )

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Godannar has a lot of heart to it, I think. And some decent laughs here and there. It's a show about relationships and it goes out of its way to include many different types of those. I like it, anyway. It's real horny though. yes.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Having seen Giant Gorg I'll recommend it with few reservations as a fun and eminently watchable series. It's definitely more of a kid's adventure show than a mecha show (Gorg is often totally unimportant to the precedings), but it's helped by some interesting writing and pretty great cast of both kids and adults. Also it has a ridiculously starstudded voice cast, with a surprising number of people doing good work even before they got their lifetime meal ticket roles.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I've seen Big O and Diebuster, but Giant Gorg has been on my list forever. Maybe it's time. Thanks for the recs, y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh yeah, those movies exist

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1209556942731010051?s=19