Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Who do they have left that could possibly top the names Orphan Maker and Scalp Hunter?

Is Apocalypse's son Holocaust still around?

I’m thinking Feral/Vulcan for last two. We’ll see though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh yeah I'm pretty sure it's them but I just want someone with an even more absurd name.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

It's 100% Feral. As accurate as my predictions have been thus far, I did not expect Scalphunter. I'd been kind of hoping it would be Maverick because for some unknown reason (the Jim Lee trading card) I've always kinda liked him.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Obviously it's "Killed your mother and pissed on the corpse" McGee from the Muir Island X-Men

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I know so little other than trades read in a bookstore or one-issue comics I grabbed from a bin or wikipedia entries about most of the characters there so it's actually fun to see them in one book. I'm sure in 10 years this will be all stuck back in a box and we'll be back to the old status quo but it's stuff like this that really has me excited about comics in a way I just haven't been in a long time.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Aphrodite posted:

Who do they have left that could possibly top the names Orphan Maker and Scalp Hunter?

Is Apocalypse's son Holocaust still around?

Were any of the three (four?) Foolkillers mutants? If so, they'd be great fit for this team.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Nanny, Orphanmaker, Sinister and now actually cool-Vulcan on a team is such a bizarre and interesting combo that I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Greg Land on art? Rosenberg writing again? Both?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1202996704636788738

Meet...THE HELLIONS.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Ugh, I loathe Empath. I don't think he's been in a comic that hasn't made my skin crawl.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Empath's got a lot of cleavage there.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Well that's certainly a roster.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

That'll be a "maybe" for me, as I looked up what Zeb Wells wrote. He did volume 3 of New Mutants which I liked (back when X-Men were in San Fransisco).

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm probably a no on that one. I hate scalp hunter and emptah as characters and I don't think I'll enjoy reading a series with them in it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Going to give Zeb the benefit of the doubt on this one. What a weird rear end team.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The two female characters are Psylocke and... Nanny. Weird.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah that roster does nothing for me.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Weird but lets see what kind of dynamics shake out. Wanna see more bitchy Sinister. Who's writing though?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Zeb Wells.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
He wrote Carnage USA, which had Hawkeye being really bitchy about Ben Grimm, so I could see him doing a good camp Sinister.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Wells has a few good comics under his belt, which is the only reason I'm paying attention to this at all.

I'm a little weirded out by how Psylocke's the "Wolverine" of the 2019 HoXverse.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Fallen Angels is going to be over by the time Hellions comes out.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
New Mutants:
So I guess the depowering has been undone? Beak and Angel, and most of their kids, were Decimated

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
^ didn't know that was a thing so that's interesting.

I am very okay with dropping fallen angels. The plot isn't necessarily bad but holy crap I can't stand the art.

I will keep up with x force though, and new mutants continues to be fun Though I wonder if they'll jump around to different new mutants teams or what. If it gets me rockslide and mercury etc. I'm down.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It was nice to see Armor again. She just kinda bopped around in the background for a while, didn't she?

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

There was a lot of stuff in the newest X-force that either happened off screen or was depicted in the info pages.

Not showing the full resurrection process of Xavier, the assassins corpses blowing up and killing Healer, an interesting scene between Xavier and Mags involving the sword the latter made of the broken Cerebro last issue.

Kinda lackluster issue. All to set up that yes, mutants could use a black ops group to do the dirty work. Like that's supposed to be something new.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
New Mutants was great, Fallen Angels is basically "The Character Assasination of Laura Kinney by the coward Bryan Hill."

Edit: X-Force has won me over too.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
X-Force is winning me over, despite the lackluster first issue. Yes, it was dumb that humans could just infiltrate another mutant refuge so easily, but it also feels like it was treated seriously and that the formation of X-Force feels earned, as a direct response to a consequential event. That, along with Beast and Jean's conversations about death and Logan and Quentin's conversations about violence, makes this feel like one of the few books that are seriously addressing the ramifications of Krakoa and all that Hickman has laid out.

Which is in ironic contrast to Hickman's own title, where the impenetrable mutant homeland gets penetrated twice in as many weeks and it's more or less treated as a running gag. Why should I take the premise of Krakoa seriously -- the true final mutant homeland, cooler and better and way different than everything else we've ever tried before that will surely never fail because there's just no way -- if the story itself won't?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Humans wanting to kill all Mutants has been a staple since before Claremont.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
the premise of Krakoa... the true final mutant homeland, cooler and better and way different than everything else we've ever tried before that will surely never fail
[/quote]

We the readers have already seen it fail and the risk of it failing again is an established part of the longer term plot.
So no, you aren't intended to take the way it's sold to mutants seriously. you already know a lot of poo poo they don't.

X-Men: the impenetrable mutant homeland gets penetrated

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 11, 2019

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Nevvy Z posted:

We the readers have already seen it fail and the risk of it failing again is an established part of the longer term plot.
So no, you aren't intended to take the way it's sold to mutants seriously. you already know a lot of poo poo they don't.
If we're talking about the events of Powers of X, then no we haven't seen it fail yet. The timelines Moira experienced did not include Xavier's Krakoa experiment. This is supposed to be the experiment that averts the stuff Moira has seen. This is supposed to be the winning hand. We don't know if it will be, sure, but we haven't seen this timeline unfold yet and this is supposed to be the great big grand idea that has never been tried before.

Which is why it makes Xavier look incredibly loving dumb when the same old problems arise that don't actually get solved by this awesome great idea. And it also makes the rest of the X-Men look dumb as well when they follow him unthinkingly and then get punk'd over and over again, same as they did before.

I'm not interested in reading about dumb people.

Skwirl posted:

Humans wanting to kill all Mutants has been a staple since before Claremont.
The problem I had specifically with the X-Men before this Hickman revival is that they kept losing and dying and losing and dying and losing and dying for years and years, reboot after reboot, pretty much since (and including!) the events of Morrison.

Hickman's revival was intended to be a reprieve from that problem and, yes, to be fair we can see that mutants won't die permanently anymore which does alleviate a lot of stuff.

Which is why I like that X-Force seems to be treating their situation seriously, as in, yes we've got new safeguards, but those safeguards aren't foolproof either so that just means we need to be even more vigilant, not less. This is in contrast to the main X-Men title, where two huge problems arise in two issues and the story is just kinda acting eh whatever about it.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Fallen Angels is incredibly rough, but at the very least it's got equal opportunity rear end shots with Cable?

radlum
May 13, 2013
I thought New Mutants was OK, but it was a downgrade from the previous issues, both in plot and art. X-Force is winning me over; I'm kind of looking forward to where it is going. I had already dropped Fallen Angels and it seems I made the right call.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Three Issue Protocol

So here we are, three issues in to the new era of X. How're things looking?

For the most part, pretty good. I'm keeping most of the books, dropping only one with another two having three more issues to prove themselves. But good isn't perfect, and I've got some line-wide comments to discuss before we get to individual series.

My biggest concern is actually something that got brought up during House/Powers of X, which is a lack of narrative cohesion. House and Powers were, it was said, failing in basic storytelling, being more interested in setting up the new status quo than they were in telling a story in of themselves. While it can be argued that the way House and Powers wrapped up did make it a complete story, albeit a somewhat disjointed one, the defense presented by many (including myself) was "don't worry, there's a lot to set up here. The real storytelling will happen in the new books."

So here we are with the new books and some of them are still pretty drat disjointed. The biggest culprit is X-Men, with three different storylines with three different antagonists across three issues. This in of itself need not be a problem if each as resolved, but all three are left dangling. Orchis is still around and has a previously unrevealed leader and a plan, which leads into...Krakoa having sex(?!!) and introducing the Summoners and the Arak Maw, which gets us to....evil genocidal Golden Girls? Orchis being left as a future threat is fine, I guess, but it's puzzling that the introduction of a whole new island worth of people including a hellmouth-like gate to a dimension wracked with eternal war isn't so much as mentioned in the next issue of the book. New Mutants and Maraduers are likewise switching things up, though at least those books are flipping between cast members as the focus...though it wasn't until issue three that we realized that the likes of Armor, Glob, and Shinobi Shaw even were members of the casts of their respective books.

On the other hand, the three books that have decided to stick to more of a traditional narrative style, Excalibur, X-Force, and Fallen Angels are the ones I like the least, so maybe there's something to all the non-traditional storytelling going on? :shrug:

Still, for all that there's supposed to be a master plan in place, it sure seems like there's a lot of redundancy going around. Do we really need two organizations of former spies conspiring against Krakoa in Orchis and XENO? To say nothing of whatever the hell is going on with Apoth's child cyber-soldiers over in Fallen Angels? It all seems a bit much, and a bit samey to boot.

Well, on with the books.

Marauders - I'm actually quite a bit more interested in the Hellfire politics than I am with mutant vs soldiers action, so seeing how this all works out is pretty interesting so far. The addition to the cast of Shinobi Shaw who is not only a political rival, but shares Kate's phasing powers, could lead to a particularly amusing set of conflicts. Probably my favorite book of the lot, despite my Cyclops fandom.
Verdict: Continuing

X-Men - So far X-Men has felt less than the sum of it's part. Each individual issue is pretty good on it's own, it's just that taken as a whole that doesn't make much sense. But three issues is, to be fair, only half of the usual six issue story arc and I was surprised by how well House and Powers of X managed to draw seemingly unconnected plot threads together into something approaching a reasonable whole in the end, so I'll cut X-Men some slack until we see where they're going with it all. Besides, it's a Cyclops centric book that doesn't make him out to be an rear end in a top hat or deadbeat dad, and those are rare finds of late. And I am, as I've mentioned, quite the Cyclops fan.

New Mutants - The light hearted and funny book of the X-line got quite a bit more serious and unfunny with issue three and the addition of some of the other young X-folks to the cast. While it was nice to reconnect with Armor and Glob (and briefly Boom-Boom who really should have been in on the space trip, as she complains), to say nothing of Angel and Beak, I missed the fun that the original New Mutants cast seemed to be having. Still they won a lot of good will from me so far, so I'm content to see where this is going.

Excalibur - This one grew on me, despite a rocky beginning. There's just enough there to make me curious about what'll happen next that I'll give it another three issues to finish out the opening arc before I decide its fate. I do have to wonder why no one's seemed to have thought to bring Meggan along, since it's her husband who's been enslaved by dark magic.
Verdict: Moved to Six Issue Protocol

X-Force As of issue two, I was sure I was going to drop this, but the bits with Jean and Beast gave me pause. Using the assassination as a inciting event to recreate X-Force as the Krakoa's black ops team makes sense, and I'll go through the first arc before I decide for sure.
Verdict: Moved to Six Issue Protocol

Fallen Angels - Skwirl said it best...

Skwirl posted:

Fallen Angels is basically "The Character Assassination of Laura Kinney by the coward Bryan Hill."

There's only one character in the book I care about, Laura, and they seem determined to keep trashing her character development over the last few years. I'd be willing to look past that if there was anything else interesting going on, but I don't care about this version of Psylocke, I don't care about young hothead Cable, and I don't care about whatever Apoth is doing.
Verdict: Dropped

So there it is. As of three issues in, I'm keeping 5/6 of the new X-books, albeit with two still on probation. Not perfect, but still....pretty good.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 13, 2019

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I feel the same about X-Men being disjointed. I liked each individual issue but right now the whole is less than the sum of the parts.

I guess the timelines aren't necessarily linear or in sync but I also felt it was odd that Xavier's resurrection was addressed in X-Force two issues later rather than in any of the intervening X-books.

It looks like New Mutants 1 was Hickman/Brisson, 2 was just Hickman, and 3 was just Brisson, which might have something to do with the shift in tone. I preferred 1 and 2 to 3 as well.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Currently, X-Men seems to exist in order to set up new information that Hickman can use months or years later, depending on how long the "Dawn of X" phase lasts before moving to the next part of his plan.

He did say all these phases could be extended or shortened according to the state of sales and reactions in general.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe
The only logical conclusion for what's going on in Fallen Angels is that Psylocke is (maybe subconsciously) psychically influencing Cable and Laura to act out of character. Like, in a way she's able to mold. I think the datapages, which keep seeming to be Kwannon's hand training but sort of confirm it's her own personal philosophy sort of backs this up, as well as Cable, who on the same week was having fun with Dad and Sis on another island, deciding to feel all broody and out of place as soon as Psylocke showed up. It's the only reason I'm continuing to read it, honestly. To see if I'm right.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm not going to say you are wrong about it being disjointed - it is - but that's how Hickman's stuff often works. He'll tell a bunch of one-issue stories that don't really connect in any meaningful way as they're coming out, but they ultimately do affect the longer-term narrative he's putting together.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

I guess my big confusion with Fallen Angels is that I'm not sure who told Bryan Hill that Kwannon has the character cachet to be a believable mentor figure for two far more established characters, but they were dead wrong. Dropping this one.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

LifeGetsWorser posted:

The only logical conclusion for what's going on in Fallen Angels is that Psylocke is (maybe subconsciously) psychically influencing Cable and Laura to act out of character.

I choose to believe this, because I'm a X-23 superfan. Dropped anyway. I was only buying the book for her, and I've never given much of a poo poo about Psylocke. Big fan of Cable, too, and while I'm not against literally rebooting him in theory, in practice it's not doing it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Fallen Angels is why men should be stopped from writing boss ladies.