Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
The game feels hiccupy and stuttery in a way it did not when I last logged in 686 days ago.

Pop match felt very stuttery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

What's the jawa "game"?

It's where people replace a word in movie titles (usually) with "jawa". It's never clever, it's been going on for years, apparently, and I can't stop thinking about it

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I can't even imagine how that would work after the first five minutes and you've used up all the so-bad-it's-good ones.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

the shawshank jawa

cloud jawa

the jawa

mad jawa: fury jawa

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've never made it to Tattooine before. I think I'm gonna break my rule of having at least one run where I do everything and find all the Datacrons.

(Technically I broke that on Taris because I didn't want the hassle of finding somebody to help me get to the one you need a boos for.)

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

has environment pop-in always been extremely bad, or is something wrong with my system? it's incredibly jarring to see trees pop into existence like 30 feet ahead of me

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
I remember Belsavis was really bad for it with the grass, to the point it caused you to ctd. Shouldn't be that bad generally though?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dawgstar posted:

I've never made it to Tattooine before. I think I'm gonna break my rule of having at least one run where I do everything and find all the Datacrons.

(Technically I broke that on Taris because I didn't want the hassle of finding somebody to help me get to the one you need a boos for.)
They're legacy-wide tracked, so once you find them on one character you find them on all. Tatooine is easier than Taris, but you can jank it easier with a friend.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Sometimes guilds do summons to Datacrons too.

Which reminds me, I've got a character parked at the Mek-Sha Mastery one if anyone wants to skip the hassle.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I forgot that place existed entirely.

There are a few around, like on Belsavis or with the roaming droid on Hoth, where you can just say "oh hey, the datacron is available at X, Y" in GC, and I tend to do that if I find myself caring enough.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Preechr posted:

XP is plentiful and just doing your class missions they shower you with free XP boosts. I don’t even do planetary missions anymore, class only will do it for you.

Is the game actually tuned so that class missions alone will keep you at the current level, or is it “possible” in the sense that you’ll be under leveled but you can power through?

AngstPenguin
Oct 10, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is the game actually tuned so that class missions alone will keep you at the current level, or is it “possible” in the sense that you’ll be under leveled but you can power through?

Depends on your legacy level, I think? If you purchase all the class mission and exploration XP boosts you can ignore everything but class missions and you'll pretty much stay level appropriate. I haven't tried without those xp boosts, though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think you still have to do bits and pieces to stay on track. I always used to get caught out by the Quesh minimum level when trying to bomb through class stories outside those 12x xp events.

Did they re-cast Jaesa? She sounds different in her first appearance, as does that rear end in a top hat Quinn when he chimes in on that conversation.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Good to know, thanks; I’m playing a stealth class so it’s not too much trouble to bang out some heroics or a planetary line now and then.

Even the space missions seem to give decent xp the first time you do them, I never noticed that before.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
In the first year after release or so I used space missions a lot to supplement xp because leveling was a massive pain.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Been a while since I played one of my low-level guys, but I remember daily heroics would give you ridiculous amounts of XP and some good leveling gear, so even if I didn't "need" to do them, it was a painless way to ensure my alts were always geared and leveled while enjoying the class stories.

Edit:
Also, since you can never really be over-leveled in SWTOR, I would usually try to "bank" some XP on a new character. Like once you get through the newbie planet, if you just take a break from the story and run a few heroics, get yourself up to 20-something, you basically never have to do that again.

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 6, 2019

Pryce
May 21, 2011

sassassin posted:

I think you still have to do bits and pieces to stay on track. I always used to get caught out by the Quesh minimum level when trying to bomb through class stories outside those 12x xp events.

A couple years ago (maybe with KotFE?) they integrated that "12x" boost into the class storylines; you can ignore every quest in the entire game other than the main story and you'll keep up with the planet levels easily (more likely, you'll be overleveled).

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i'm playing through the smuggler storyline right now (subscribed but without legacy XP bonuses)

i'm consistently a few levels behind the curve but the game is so easy now that only matters when a cutscene throws me straight into a fight without time for Bowdaar to get aggro, lmao. it's honestly kinda nice to not have the bosses be complete anticlimaxes

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Been a while since I played one of my low-level guys, but I remember daily heroics would give you ridiculous amounts of XP and some good leveling gear, so even if I didn't "need" to do them, it was a painless way to ensure my alts were always geared and leveled while enjoying the class stories.

Edit:
Also, since you can never really be over-leveled in SWTOR, I would usually try to "bank" some XP on a new character. Like once you get through the newbie planet, if you just take a break from the story and run a few heroics, get yourself up to 20-something, you basically never have to do that again.

Yeah that's usually my strategy but I'm just kind of over Heroics for this round; fighting HP-sponge enemies as a low level character, and competing for open world objectives with players who don't understand that accepting your group invitation is actually good for both of you is getting a little tiresome. Though I suppose you could always just skip the latter heroics once you realize which ones they are.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Pryce posted:

A couple years ago (maybe with KotFE?) they integrated that "12x" boost into the class storylines; you can ignore every quest in the entire game other than the main story and you'll keep up with the planet levels easily (more likely, you'll be overleveled).

I'm assuming a subscription makes a big difference as I've just finished act one of SW, have been doing a fair number of sidequests and bonus objectives, using the mission-drop xp items all the time plus legacy boosts, and am bang on level now after spending the first couple of planets very overlevelled.

If I were doing a stealth class story mode run I wouldn't expect to maintain that long term.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I actually bought one of those level up to 70 items with a few years' worth of security key coins, just in case.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Nerd Of Prey posted:

FYI if your overleveled for a planet and synced down your stats are capped and gear doesn't matter.

Edit: for Bolster for FP's and PvP it's counter intuitive as well in that you get the best Bolster the worse your gear is. The lvl 10 greens you get for completing the starter planet are the most powerful you can be in a Warzone if you're under lvl 65.

DrunkenGarbageCan fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 7, 2019

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Level locking is hilarious right now. A bolstered level 65 character sometimes has better stats than a BiS 306 level 75.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I recently re-ran the Jedi Consular storyline and did only the class quests and the major planet quests (skipping a few planet stories I hate) and finished up my class story at level 55. I imagine i'd have been 60+ had I also done the story instances and the major planet quests I skipped.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

lmao the end of the act one smuggler storyline

Risha: "We need to deliver this man in carbonite"

Codex Unlock: Nok Drayen: "The man literally cheated death by freezing himself in carbonite for over a decade"

you couldn't have, uh, waited a few cutscenes for that one, game?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The only planet quest worth doing is the last part of the Balmorra one which lets you stick your tongue down Darth Lachris' throat.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

the tatooine ones are pretty interesting the first time you do them

imperial taris also gets credit for having the most memorably annoying minor NPC in the game

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Dec 7, 2019

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Imperial Belsavis is pretty drat important to do as well.

Honestly, do all the planetary stories once. The game is about story.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Medullah posted:

Imperial Belsavis is pretty drat important to do as well.

Honestly, do all the planetary stories once. The game is about story.

The game is clearly about running back and forth across mostly empty landscape imo.

I mean I am enjoying this game, just started playing a couple weeks ago, but holy crap why are objectives so far apart, and why is there so much backtracking built into it?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
When originally designed you'd have your class quest, maybe the war quest, and a few side quests. So you'd be doing like 3 or 4 things in the open space at once, then turning it all in and going to the next part. Now if you just do your class quest and maybe the war quest it's a lot more walking and a lot less doing things when you get there.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

dmboogie posted:

the tatooine ones are pretty interesting the first time you do them

imperial taris also gets credit for having the most memorably annoying minor NPC in the game

Going to second both of these--make sure to do Imp. Taris just to kill Thana Vesh.

Corellia is good from a story standpoint, but jesus gently caress Corellia is cancer.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The stories work better without several often very similar plot threads going on at once confusing matters. The game features more Darths and Moffs and single greatest generals in Republic history than anyone can hope to tell apart. It's rare that they're complementary, but it does happen. The Warrior has to make the Balmorran arms factory job look like anything but a targeted assassination, so picking up Darth Lachris' mission is a great cover story. But usually you've got an urgent class story task that you have to hurry up with (Knight is the worst for this) and hanging around doing grunt work doesn't make sense.

There can be a lot of travel sometimes but that's why you buy a nice speeder/tauntaun.

Yes, it's worth trying everything once, but most people running through are going to do/have done 3/4/5+ classes. The planetary stories are extremely skippable.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

sassassin posted:

The stories work better without several often very similar plot threads going on at once confusing matters. The game features more Darths and Moffs and single greatest generals in Republic history than anyone can hope to tell apart. It's rare that they're complementary, but it does happen. The Warrior has to make the Balmorran arms factory job look like anything but a targeted assassination, so picking up Darth Lachris' mission is a great cover story. But usually you've got an urgent class story task that you have to hurry up with (Knight is the worst for this) and hanging around doing grunt work doesn't make sense.

There can be a lot of travel sometimes but that's why you buy a nice speeder/tauntaun.

Yes, it's worth trying everything once, but most people running through are going to do/have done 3/4/5+ classes. The planetary stories are extremely skippable.

At what point are speeders actually fast?

edit: that sounded flippant, I mean, I assume they do give you access to speeders that are more than just barely faster than your sprint speed at some point but I haven't found one yet.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So I'm coming to find that if I keep my stuff in level appropriate yellow mods then it really doesn't matter if they're better when I'm just doing normal questing junk.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Speeder speed is tied to level, you unlock faster speeds as you level, with two additional perks you can buy through legacy after you get the first 3.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The red ones go faster.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Medullah posted:

Speeder speed is tied to level, you unlock faster speeds as you level, with two additional perks you can buy through legacy after you get the first 3.

Wasn't one of the speeders locked at max speed or something? I want to say the Refer-a-Friend speeder, if only because I recall being stuck using that ugly thing at lower levels.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Jan posted:

Wasn't one of the speeders locked at max speed or something? I want to say the Refer-a-Friend speeder, if only because I recall being stuck using that ugly thing at lower levels.

Yep! The one you get from referring 5 friends is 130% right from the beginning. But that really doesn't matter with how fast leveling is and with all taxis unlocked

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I need to meet the person who wrote Doc's dialogue and ask them to explain themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I only briefly played this game in Earth's distant past, but I recall lightning inquisitor being pretty straightforward with a bit of proc based reactive gameplay. Is that still (or was it ever) the case?