Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beet Wagon posted:

TBF the second way is more of a pain in the rear end to post.

Besides that though I don’t see any issues.

It is, yeah. But honestly if that's the price people have to pay to stop me from just issuing bans next time this happens, I think that's pretty okay.
[/quote]

Sure, don't bait redditors either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beet Wagon posted:

It is, yeah. But honestly if that's the price people have to pay to stop me from just issuing bans next time this happens, I think that's pretty okay.

Sure, don't bait redditors either.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: This game wouldn't ever have the villain be a Gary Sue

The dystopic cyberpunk gender fluid beckons. We need a dope rear end villain that no other studio has had the guts to do to touch apart from possibly CDProjecktRed.

Basically rando super villains that are either a massive dicked tranny dude that looks like a 10/10 chick, or a tranny chick that's more masculine than a dude and will rip your balls off and eat them. Or both! What could be better?

Surely this game balls and/or vagina to pull something like that off without the community imploding.

:yikes:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Some more experts weigh in with their take on what SOCKS means to us now that 3.8 is arriving:

A guy who understands game development posted:

It’s ONLY V.1. We should all be happy but it’s not the FULL implementation and IIRC Server Meshing is going to be the other piece of the puzzle.

That being said I am excited as well to see what performance gains we get from even the V.1 version of SOCS.

Looking forward to those performance gains!

Two Jareds In A Trenchcoat posted:

No client-side perf gain. If you are at 10fps at ArcCorp, you'll still got 10fps here.

There won't be any performance gains!

A Brain Genius posted:

It would absolutely improve player side performance, frame rate is capped to the server performance for all players, proven by fresh server instance restarts being really smooth and old servers instances being stuttery.

There are absolutely going to be performance gains!

An Avocado posted:

As an evo tester, just wait until you get your hands on it it's night and day. Everything is so smooth then i get a 30,000

There are already performance gains and then it crashes to desktop!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
10FTC used to provide a weeks worth of content by itself.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

10FTC used to provide a weeks worth of content by itself.

Chris Roberts saved PC Gaming this thread

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Quavers posted:

Basically rando super villains that are either a massive dicked tranny dude that looks like a 10/10 chick, or a tranny chick that's more masculine than a dude and will rip your balls off and eat them. Or both! What could be better?

I'm sure that person thought they were being progressive but uh... swing and a miss.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

precision posted:

I'm sure that person thought they were being progressive but uh... swing and a miss.

I'm significantly less sure.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Sarsapariller posted:

Some more experts weigh in with their take on what SOCKS means to us now that 3.8 is arriving:

The turn SSOCS made from jesus tech to 'tier 0 early days' once it hit PTU is wild. It's been a while since we've had that happen, and it seems like the citizens are still happy to make excuses for CIG under delivering.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JerryLee posted:

I'm significantly less sure.

It's hard to tell when you're dealing with such severe brain damage

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Guard Frequency podcast chat about the CI!G & Turbulent share purchase/transfer

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/518156615?t=0h49m0s

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Tokamak posted:

The turn SSOCS made from jesus tech to 'tier 0 early days' once it hit PTU is wild. It's been a while since we've had that happen, and it seems like the citizens are still happy to make excuses for CIG under delivering.

I remember when CIG first trotted out the "Tier-0" phrase, which was a really, really obvious way to say they were going to "put something in" but don't expect it to work. Basically their version of "stub code." I remember hoping that I wasn't going to see the cult going and repeating this stupid, stupid phrase, and they added it to their lexicon the very same day. There's nothing too stupid for Chris Roberts, and nothing Chris Roberts does is too stupid for his supporters. This is Scientology 2.0 and we will die as it goes on forever. (Not as a game, though.)

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

can't read lol

Armadillo Tank fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 8, 2019

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Tokamak posted:

It's putting me in mind of the gif I did for 3.6, back in the summer.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just stared at that roadmap for 5 straight minutes and I still have no idea how to glean any actual information out of it

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:reddit: It's really nice to see Star Citizen being played by mainstream content creators, and accepted by their viewers

I know that people have been saying "this is the year that SC goes mainstream" since 2015, but I feel like we have real evidence that it's actually the case this year. A youtuber with over 100k subs that I've been following for years, BigFry, just released a video praising SC and recommending it to fans that don't mind bugs. The video is overwhelmingly liked by viewers, with an insignificant number of dislikes, and nearly all of the top comments are positive. The thing is, he was previously very critical of the project. He backed in 2016, and according to him his view on the project at that point was "gently caress CIG and gently caress Star Citizen".

I totally understand why people who backed/followed the game in 2014-2017 and stopped following the progress being made would have a negative outlook. But as someone who backed in 2018, I've never had any major problems, and it always upset me when I saw the overwhelmingly negative outlook that many people had on the project. I think that might finally be coming to an end with so many twitch streamers and Youtube content creators making positive videos. SC might still be lacking in content and polish, but the foundation of something truly mind blowing is finally here, and the more people that are exposed to it through these content creators, the more public perception will shift from negative to positive.

2020 might be the year that I can talk openly about SC outside this subreddit and not be drowned in a sea of negativity.

Checkmate, goonailures

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I like that even their December 2019 chart shows almost every SQ42 chapter entering stage 4 (Production) in Q1 2020, lol.

Don't worry everyone, in 3 weeks (including the Holiday break) everything will be entering Production ready! Nevermind that we couldn't even be bothered to give an update at CitCon regarding SQ42. But it's definitely just about done.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
On a whim I looked up SC on twitch and even the dedicated fedora-hosted fan show has guests saying "I'm being naively optimistic, I realize that"

To quote Lee Marvin, "the car is on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel... we're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine, and the machine is bleeding to death"

Edit: ahaha this woman streaming it just replied to someone talking about buying a ship with "enjoy your jpeg".

precision fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 8, 2019

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

I agree. My main goal is to make it so that I don't ever have to come in here again and explain why doing a megapost about some guy's problem with a car he bought or joking about doxxing him is not funny or worth posting just because he's a Star Citizen fan or demanded the CIA destroy Something Awful or whatever. At this point everybody in here should realize that's not okay, and I like to think most people do, but since it has become a problem again we're going to have to take steps to fix it and I think this is a good one.

maybe just tell mirificus to stop stalking people on reddit

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

maybe just tell mirificus to stop stalking people on reddit

Do you want to piss off Skynet and initiate Judgment Day?

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.
Questions I like to ask myself from time to time, because CI(there is no)G is not answering them.

The backers didn't vote to increase the scope of SQ42. Why is it so delayed?

What important initiatives has Sandi spearheaded in her role in, say, the last 6 months?

In what year will the BMM be in-game and fully functional?

Is the Calder investment being spent on development, or just marketing of SQ42? If the latter, where is this marketing? If neither, is it being held as cash?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

precision posted:

I just stared at that roadmap for 5 straight minutes and I still have no idea how to glean any actual information out of it

The number in the box is the phase of the chapter, the color of the box is how far they are on that phase (green = done, orange = current phase they're working on).

You don't need to look at it too hard to realize that not a single chapter is past greybox. None. They have not even one complete level without placeholder assets and gameplay systems.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah but what do whitebox and greybox even mean? Whitebox because it's drawn on a whiteboard at that stage?

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

precision posted:

Yeah but what do whitebox and greybox even mean? Whitebox because it's drawn on a whiteboard at that stage?

The Whitebox is Robert Space's personal studio, all "creative" spaces need a cool name. Mr Space enters The Whitebox when a new Dreams.txt is required to generate revenue from his Followers. Mr Space inhales the Spice Melange which fills The Whitebox, and dictates a new Dreams.txt, which he draws forth by folding space and reading over the shoulders of popular authors of speculative fiction as they themselves type their original stories.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
More like Shart Shitizen

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

You don't need to look at it too hard to realize that not a single chapter is past greybox. None. They have not even one complete level without placeholder assets and gameplay systems.

Nonsense. There's a post on Spectrum from Ben from 2017 saying he played through every single chapter in SQ42 and it's almost done.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

precision posted:

Whitebox:

Greybox:

The point is the game should be fun and functional in Whitebox; it's pointless to work on high-res graphics if the game is going to be poo poo. Greybox is making sure the gameplay is still solid as you start to work toward the early stages of a graphical look and feel.

Chris wanted fidelity so all the graphics are done first, then he fails to layer in gameplay, just like he fails at everything else.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Rad Russian posted:

Nonsense. There's a post on Spectrum from Ben from 2017 saying he played through every single chapter in SQ42 and it's almost done.

Maybe he got confused with Wing Commander Saga.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Scruffpuff posted:

Whitebox:

Greybox:

The point is the game should be fun and functional in Whitebox; it's pointless to work on high-res graphics if the game is going to be poo poo. Greybox is making sure the gameplay is still solid as you start to work toward the early stages of a graphical look and feel.

Chris wanted fidelity so all the graphics are done first, then he fails to layer in gameplay, just like he fails at everything else.

Aren't both of those screens greybox?

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Sillybones posted:

That's the impression I was under. I always assumed that 'whitebox' was just a made up CIG term.
Of course I don't work in the industry and don't understand game development so I'd be happy to be proven wrong. :)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

precision posted:

I don't know why but I'm giggling like a highschool stoner at the fact that "body dragging" is an item on that roadmap

Wait, the Beastie Boys are coming out with a new EP?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Nowher posted:

That's the impression I was under. I always assumed that 'whitebox' was just a made up CIG term.
Of course I don't work in the industry and don't understand game development so I'd be happy to be proven wrong. :)

I've heard the term since before CIG was a thing - as early as 1991. It was used with Amiga 3D modeling where you'd create a "whitebox" picture of what you wanted the rendered scene to be, and you'd have to get it perfect because rendering the 3D image literally took overnight. Where whitebox becomes grey is open to interpretation - it's also a term used in any 3D modeling, including CGI in films. It's not something that was around before PC graphics got to where they are now. But it wasn't made up by CIG, although I'm fully on board with the idea that they're intentionally or unintentionally misusing the term, or most likely simply adopting it because it makes them sound like they know what they're doing.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sillybones posted:

Nowher posted:

Yep. "Whitebox" is CIG's internal term for what is essentially the writing/planning stage of a level, not even playable enough to be called greybox. It's hard to conceive what that might even look like in the engine or why they don't just have a new step called "planning" and just use "greybox" for everything past that.

Scruffpuff posted:

I've heard the term since before CIG was a thing - as early as 1991. It was used with Amiga 3D modeling where you'd create a "whitebox" picture of what you wanted the rendered scene to be, and you'd have to get it perfect because rendering the 3D image literally took overnight. Where whitebox becomes grey is open to interpretation - it's also a term used in any 3D modeling, including CGI in films. It's not something that was around before PC graphics got to where they are now. But it wasn't made up by CIG, although I'm fully on board with the idea that they're intentionally or unintentionally misusing the term, or most likely simply adopting it because it makes them sound like they know what they're doing.

That's not how they're using the term though, they're using it in relation to the narrative and gameplay - "whitebox narrative" and "whitebox playable".

I THINK they might be using the engine as a storyboard tool, basically? And the playable step means they link all the "moments" together? At least that's what I've been able to piece together from their weird descriptions.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 8, 2019

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That's not how they're using the term though, they're using it in relation to the narrative and gameplay - "whitebox narrative" and "whitebox playable".

That literally makes no sense whatsoever. How can you do a "whitebox narrative?" That would have nothing on the screen. I guess you're right - CIG is, yet again, full of poo poo.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

That literally makes no sense whatsoever. How can you do a "whitebox narrative?" That would have nothing on the screen. I guess you're right - CIG is, yet again, full of poo poo.

Experimental Skin posted:

The Whitebox is Robert Space's personal studio, all "creative" spaces need a cool name. Mr Space enters The Whitebox when a new Dreams.txt is required to generate revenue from his Followers. Mr Space inhales the Spice Melange which fills The Whitebox, and dictates a new Dreams.txt, which he draws forth by folding space and reading over the shoulders of popular authors of speculative fiction as they themselves type their original stories.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Scruffpuff posted:

:shrug: Here's their explanation:

1. Whitebox Narrative: Setting up the key moments, conversations and scenes to understand their layout and flow. This phase won’t include the full functionality of the various systems, but this is meant to give an understanding of the general pacing and layout of the environment and story.

2. Whitebox Playable: Taking the approved Whitebox Narrative and building the systems into the chapter, so the team is able to play through in a complete flow as opposed to a rough flow and encounters. We will sometimes use placeholder systems or flowgraphs if the features are still in development. They will be replaced as these systems start to come online.

3. Greybox: This version of the chapter will include all the primary and ancillary story moments and character interactions. The environments will be moving closer to a final look and feel. Any features or mechanics that have come online will be integrated into the flow. Design will have prototyped any kind of boss fight and combat encounters. At this point in the development, the level will now present a relatively complete feel and the teams will start to balance the experience.

4. Production: In this phase, the chapter will be brought to a releasable state. All our mechanics will be finished and implemented. The team will focus on ensuring level stability for all gameplay, player actions, and branches. Our required feature set should now be complete and art will be near final.

5. Polish: The purpose of the Polish phase is to finish up any remaining details and improve the overall player experience. Delivering total stability is a huge priority in this phase. Any refinements, last minute feedback, optimizations or bugs will also be tackled here.

More detail: https://www.space4games.com/en/squadron-42-en/squadron-42-roadmap-release-infos-and-update-english/id-2319/

“Whitebox narrative is to show and figure out the rough pacing, framing and distances of the key events and transitions and to ensure they story flows appropriately”, Nick Elms adds. “Whitebox playable is to fill in the minute to minute gameplay, architectural spaces and flesh out specific puzzles/exotic gameplay, this is where we start to see the entire experience from a design perspective come together.” From this point on, all departments have a better understanding of what is needed to improve the game.

In Whitebox Playable, the AI comes into play for the first time and replaces the animated objects from the Whitebox Narrative phase. However, it’s not about the functionality of the AI yet, but about the clarification of the gameplay intensity. It just feels a lot different when an fleshed-out character stands in front of the player, in this case the developer, instead of a roughly animated block object.

Nick Elms: “Playable means you should be able to play the entire story but the player may require the use of debug to pass certain areas with incomplete features or may come across designer prototype logic/gameplay to show intent for final features.”

Yeah, uh... I dunno.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Do they have concrete examples of any of this bullshit? Or just page after page of "take our word salad for it?"

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I think the fact that no chapter has made it past greybox should give you the answer you're looking for.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Idk the SQ42 gameplay demo they showed at CitCon shows they've got everything under control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Popete posted:

Their road maps mean nothing, it's completely arbitrary and vague "Missions more fun v2".

Well, we know this considering they have repeatedly worked on things not on the roadmap, like their new Battlefield mode that they worked on for over 6 months.

Here's a thought. Perhaps if they stopped working on things they are not on the roadmap, maybe more roadmap items would get done!