Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Khablam posted:

I would like to nominate Rebus for posting here for god knows why, and for not running away when the thread dumped all their hot-takes on Williams on him.

It's this. We all know it. The contest is over give Rebus the $10,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Custard Undies posted:

Holy poo poo there's $10,000 at stake? gently caress it, I revoke my nomination for Khablam and nominate myself.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Custard Undies posted:

With that kind of money on offer, Claire might want to re-negotiate with ROKiT, see if they're willing to match

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/2021-cars-nasty-racing-point/4604603/

loving lol they’ve solved the cars being unable to follow due to dirty air by encapsulating the cars in dirty air at all time’s lmao

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/2021-cars-nasty-racing-point/4604603/

loving lol they’ve solved the cars being unable to follow due to dirty air by encapsulating the cars in dirty air at all time’s lmao

"Designing cars will be more difficult!" is such a stupid thing to complain about when it effects everyone. Like here you go pal here's your chance to earn your money

I wonder if what he's actually complaining about is that the cars will be harder to drive in the limit and so teams with a poo poo tier driver pairing (hi Racing Point) will lose out because of their pay drivers

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 8, 2019

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

lmao if lance stroll is still on racing point in 2021. im predicting he's beating leclerc regularly with ferrari at that point

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

NtotheTC posted:

"Designing cars will be more difficult!" is such a stupid thing to complain about when it effects everyone. Like here you go pal here's your chance to earn your money

I wonder if what he's actually complaining about is that the cars will be harder to drive in the limit and so teams with a poo poo tier driver pairing (hi Racing Point) will lose out because of their pay drivers

The only thing they're complaining about is that the front wing is so extremely restricted in terms of development that they (and other teams) have seen the result of it and they can't do anything about it due to those restrictions. Nothing about developing it is difficult. More likely it's frustrating to them because they see all these issues and aren't allowed to resolve it.

On top of that, goes on to say that all the cars will most likely be aerodynamically unpredictable which will be a mental nightmare for a lot of drivers. More sensitive drivers are going to be completely hosed while the more braver idiots will probably dominate with this formula. Example off the top of my head being Nigel Mansell and Patrese with the active suspension. Mansell is thick as pig poo poo and thrice as horny and he didn't give a gently caress and would go huge pig balls to the wall in every corner and put maximum faith in the autism coursing through the active suspension setup. Meanwhile, Patrese had sense, style, Italianism, and strombolis to understand that an unpredictable car at the limit is basically a death wish.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Italian drivers were notorious for taking huge risks Xaus. Patrese actually was an outlier in that regard.

I will concede that the active cars were far more suited to aggressive drivers who tended to throw the car into the turn (mostly, Prost did well in the FW15 so IDK.) which is probably why Mansell did so well in the FW14.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Oddly enough it was Piquet who developed the 1st generation Williams active suspension - Mansell wanted nothing to do with it due to his poor experiences in the first Active Suspension Lotus car (until Piquet showed what it was capable of that is.)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
F1 2020: Faith in autism

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Predicting now, that under those regulations 1/3 of Italy's GDP will be carbon fibre to rebuild vettels car.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Khablam posted:

Predicting now, that under those regulations 1/3 of Italy's GDP will be carbon fibre to rebuild vettels car.

Oh no... not the 1/3 of Italy's GDP dedicated to garbage collection.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I love that this thread is just the most dogshit posting imaginable occasionally interrupted by fluid dynamics chat

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

get in there lewis

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Big Huski Boi posted:

I love that this thread is just the most dogshit posting imaginable occasionally interrupted by fluid dynamics chat

Shitposting is also fluid dynamics

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skarsnik posted:

get in there lewis

#Blessed #StillIRise #GetInThereLewis

:lewis:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

get in there lewis
Lewis is volcel confirmed.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Wirth1000 posted:

Almost had a spit take there hahahaha

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

ilmucche posted:

Shitposting is also fluid dynamics

Depends on your diet.

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

I'd like to dedicate this nomination to all the Polish fans out there and wish them all the best in their new endeavour of writing scathing posts about the BMW DTM team.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Deutsche Handicappen Motor

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1203983832564805632

hopefully they ban Sochi

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Shame motorsport isn't in the olympics or they could've ditched kvyat

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ilmucche posted:

Shame motorsport isn't in the olympics or they could've ditched kvyat

rather have Kvyat over Stroll any day of the week

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
God dammit gently caress.... poo poo.... Odo died.

gently caress...

Nooo....

He's off to the Great Link in the Sky.......

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

You Am I posted:

rather have Kvyat over Stroll any day of the week

lance stroll driver of the d-

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

the paradigm shift posted:

Oh, gently caress off, everyone knows Lance makes it up for in rac--

Ok, well, Lance totally would be but he totally had way more DNFs than Sergio Pe--

A bee bit my bottom and now my bottom's big.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Wirth1000 posted:

Fantastic, the season is over and everyone hates Abu Dhabi and continues to hate it. Here's an effort post:

Mercedes-AMG is leaving F1 after 2020.

First, you have Toto skipping Brazil which was conveniently given an excuse with "WDC & WCC won so I can go take care of other stuff back at the factory" specific to Mercedes' continuing presence in F1 beyond 2020. At the same time, Mercedes just debuted in Formula E.

Source: https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/50372227

Second, Daimler announced they're going to lay off 10,000 people as they pivot towards EVs along with the rest of the industry. Formula E just became a lot more relevant and F1 a lot less from a marketing standpoint and justification of funds to the board.

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisettevoytko/2019/11/29/daimler-plans-10000-layoffs-amid-auto-industrys-electric-vehicle-pivot/#2c14ab8b5639

Third, Lewis & Ferrari have been openly flirting for a while now this season. Toto Wolff has even come out and said he has "zero problem" with Lewis talking to Ferrari. There is absolutely none of the typical "we don't comment on rumours" or whatever other spin/dismissal of this poo poo we usually see.

Source: https://www.planetf1.com/news/wolff-has-zero-problem-with-hamiltons-ferrari-talks/

Everyone is completely comfortable with this 6x WDC and seemingly Mercedes stalwart just openly talking up Ferrari and Ferrari & Mercedes going along with it. It's all smiles, philosophical quotes of 'everyone has their own objectives', and chumminess against two direct rivals. This is because everyone knows Mercedes' time up as a works team is over in F1. They have absolutely nothing else to prove.

The 2021 and beyond rules are also perfect for Mercedes as they're going to be phasing in engine development freezes. Perfect for further cutting costs and still maintaining a presence in F1.

Source: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/engine-development-2021-freeze/4604677/

On top of the cost savings of creeping engine freezes AND dumping your works team... well, I guess we can throw in another engine for another team! Extremely doubtful that McLaren & Mercedes deal would've happened if Mercedes was going to stick around in 2021 and beyond as a team.

Source: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.why-mclaren-and-mercedes-have-joined-forces-again-for-2021.13KAgEaykDn1Y2O0ZwvNDa.html

That's it. All signs point to the works team loving off and Lewis moving to Ferrari. Who's going to buy the Mercedes team? Who can afford that? And even then it's gonna result in a ton of downsizing to begin with which is going to suck.

Also, pretty obvious that Renault's time is up, too. If anyone is interested just go read up on the entire Carlos Ghosn saga, the extreme internal turmoil, and numerous ongoing board meetings of Renault to determine where they can slash costs. It's pretty obvious now that Abiteboul is well out of his depth and the team has horribly stagnated. They've also hired on Daniel Ricciardo on a WDC's wage with absolutely nothing to show for it. I don't think they'll even stick around as an engine supplier at this point. Honda insanely leapt forward and Renault's engine team just rolled backwards.

Add this new piece of evidence to Mercedes leaving after 2020 as a works team: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mercedes-daimler-spending-wolff/4607492/

quote:

Wolff believes the value Mercedes gets from its all-conquering F1 programme, which has won the last six drivers’ and constructors’ titles, is a major factor in its chances to continue, but stopped short of saying there had been any assurances about the team’s future.

“I am the one that is responsible for the motor racing activities,” said Wolff. “But I'm also the first one to acknowledge that times within the auto industry are changing, and that all activities need to be looked at.

“Formula 1 and motor racing generally is an activity that we believe is part of our core DNA. The first-ever Mercedes was a race car.

“I think we need to become more efficient. We need to provide a solid business case. We need to reduce the contribution from Daimler into our exercise, and if we're able to achieve that, then we're in Formula 1 for the long term.”

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

To be fair though, Lance is totally dominating Sergio in facial hair here

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

How many consistent qualifying sessions was it that Lance failed to make it out of Q1? 20?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
good riddance mercedes

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Mercedes leaves.....McLaren instantly a top 3 team! :flashfap:

Would be better if it was Ferrari leaving though.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Ferrari could solve all of their problems if they used fresh local ingredients.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Wait, that's literally the cause of all of Ferrari's problems!

Fuckin' import a French duck cassoulet

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

wow who knew that lance stroll was actually poo poo

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

12 of Stroll's points also come from his fluke 4th in Germany.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
So both Hamilton and Bottas are out of contract at the end of next season. One would assume that the decision is entirely Hamilton's to make on his side of the garage, but what of Bottas? Keep the meek little Binnman or trade him up for somebody like Ocon?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Ocon is as much a meek binman as Bottas is but without the pace, which is why they shipped him off to Renault with a "please take out the trash ty" note. The next in line for a merc seat is Russell if Mercedes are even in the sport in 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah Merc will need to attempt to hire their next number 1 at this point. And if they thought that was Ocon he'd be in the car in 2020.