Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Neito posted:

You read that right, but do you maybe not understand how family style eating works? For N people, you order N dishes and share them. So they basically threw a tantrum because 1/7th of their food was going to be meatless.

Or you can order N-1 dishes for N-1 people and let 1 guy order something for himself? Family style dining is not, like, some sacred ceremony where one guy eating his own plate of stuff is going to ruin everyone else's meal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It is entirely possible that I misread part of the post but at least initially it's written as if he insisted that the entire order of Mapo be meatless, and only suggested a separate one for himself as a compromise after they shot that down.

The only vegan option is Mapo Tofu without meat.

"No we need to eat it right it needs meat"

Can I order for myself and I'll pay it out of pocket?

"No we don't want to be forced to eat it"

Ok then can we get two orders?

"No that's tacky please stop trying to make meatless Mapon happen"

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

sullat posted:

Or you can order N-1 dishes for N-1 people and let 1 guy order something for himself? Family style dining is not, like, some sacred ceremony where one guy eating his own plate of stuff is going to ruin everyone else's meal.

Oh for sure. It's be one thing if he was changing "meat is murder" or whatever, but vegan dude was being pretty chill about this.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Neito posted:

You read that right, but do you maybe not understand how family style eating works? For N people, you order N dishes and share them. So they basically threw a tantrum because 1/7th of their food was going to be meatless.
Oooh, okay. No, I didn't know how family style ordering worked; I revise my earlier statement, the vegan is absolutely justified in cutting them out entirely. Using "because it'd be tacky" is a dumb as hell reason to give for anything, anyway.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mapo Tofu is uh, not unusual to be vegan and a frequent variation is with eggplant and no beef. Also what fuckers are going to a chinese restaurant and dont have multiple vegetarian, if not vegan dishes. What colossal assholes who do not understand what eating family style means.

I just got back from china with family and Im literally mad about dishes.

Edit: A basic rule of thumb is to order 150% of the dishes you would order for guests if they were doing individual meals. Over the next few months well learn about dish composition and protein source as well as cooking times impacting meal selection.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 8, 2019

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Mapo Tofu is ok vegan but there should be plenty of vegan sichuan dishes at a sichuan place

Barudak
May 7, 2007

tractor fanatic posted:

Mapo Tofu is ok vegan but there should be plenty of vegan sichuan dishes at a sichuan place

This is the weirdest part. Im trying to imagine a restaurant that spells it sichuan and serves family style and doesnt have like a full 1/3rd or more of the menu be vegan or easy to convert.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Could it be things like "oh this has honey in it, oh this is breaded so it probably has eggs"?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pinecone Sample posted:

Girlfriend is asking for an outlandish(?) prenuptial agreement if we are to become officially engaged.

I’m not a lawyer but this sounds like, not an enforceable contract

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Pirate Radar posted:

I’m not a lawyer but this sounds like, not an enforceable contract
No, but it also sounds like he could have had some fun Bird Law poo poo out of it.

"Oh yeah we can totally sign this contract but... well, in America it is customary for the Husband to supersede all men in the family so now your father is like a son to him and your father must pay him monthly for keeping you. Also your mother cannot criticize him else it nullifies the marriage and he keeps all your possessions."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Could it be things like "oh this has honey in it, oh this is breaded so it probably has eggs"?

Honey would be very uncommon as would bread, like in general. Quite a lot of sichuan dishes are just vegetable mixes hot or cold, with things like garlic cooked in with the vegetable oil along with various spice mixes. After making a menu full of things like pan fried spicy lotus root, you then can add tofu and suddenly your menu doubled in size.

Going the other way is easy as hell too since its just telling the chef, hey, just dont throw the meat into this wok full of stuff.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 8, 2019

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I can't find the post for the szechuan rear end in a top hat on reddit, can someone link it?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

SirSamVimes posted:

I can't find the post for the szechuan rear end in a top hat on reddit, can someone link it?

https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/e7o040/aita_for_not_allowing_a_vegan_to_force_the_rest/

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Perhaps meatless mapon would be tacky in texture,like the meat provides a lubrication to the tofu, and the friend did not want to heap further indignities onto Mike by having to eat gross sticky tofu, especially if Mike has limited saliva from his dietary restrictions - Mike could have chocked on the tofu!

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
is eating this bussy vegan

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Lmao proper mapo tofu isn't even supposed to have that much meat in it, the meat is used more like a spice than an integral part of the dish. But Americans cannot tolerate that so they fill it up with minced meat, which makes the dish harder to eat too

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Lmao at an entire table afraid to order two of the same dish as if the wait staff are going to mock them in the kitchen.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It is entirely possible that I misread part of the post but at least initially it's written as if he insisted that the entire order of Mapo be meatless, and only suggested a separate one for himself as a compromise after they shot that down.

E: I'm also distracted as hell getting my poo poo together for work so that probably isn't helping my reading comprehension

They "suggested" he just eat plain rice and tea. All he wanted was some Mapo tofu without the meat. OP is reacting like having a single vegan dish on the table makes them all soyboys or something.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

cumshitter posted:

Lmao at an entire table afraid to order two of the same dish as if the wait staff are going to mock them in the kitchen.

I love the OP insisting it was "true cuisine" when it's likely the same trash American Chinese food panda express serves, and given the restaurant only had 1 vegan option (which makes zero sense) it was probably some lovely dive dumping MSG and corn syrup on everything.

Anyone insisting that something they eat in America "must be eaten this way" is a loving tool because people from the actual culture aren't going to be super hardasses about it like that.

mllaneza posted:

They "suggested" he just eat plain rice and tea. All he wanted was some Mapo tofu without the meat. OP is reacting like having a single vegan dish on the table makes them all soyboys or something.

It might be fake but I always love the tales of people catering or cooking for a big family meal, and then relatives start bitching they weren't warned that it was meatless and that vegetarian/vegan hosts must always cook meat for them.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 8, 2019

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

"I dont really care about people's diet unless they try and force it on others"
Invited vegan to place with exactly one vegan option and refuses to let him order it.

"I don't mind X unless they try to shove it in my face" is always what some conservative rear end in a top hat says right before they act completely unreasonably toward X.

I don't mind vegans, I just don't see why it's such a big deal that I refuse to let my vegan brother bring a vegan dish to my BBQ.

I don't mind black folks I just don't want my daughter to date one

I don't mind gay people but they shouldn't be allowed to get married, adopt, be employed in my organization, etc

"He tried to force everyone to eat vegan food" is exactly the kind of factually incorrect bullshit conclusion that I expect from some shithead who carts out "I don't mind vegans, but... ".

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for being jealous of my boyfriend on a road trip with his coworker?

quote:

My boyfriend just left for a 5 day road trip to a few national parks, which I have stressed several times that I have wanted to go do that with him. Even for the small stuff( like going and getting dinner)it’s some excuse like he doesn’t have the money, which I’m totally understanding of. Suddenly he springs on me that he’s going on this trip with another girl (just them two the whole trip) and sleeping in the same hotel rooms. He knows I was cheated on in my last relationship and when I told him it bothered me he used the excuse “you should be happy I’m out living life and getting these experiences”
I am happy, but I have to draw the line somewhere. Am I the rear end in a top hat for being upset he’s on this trip?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Lucrece posted:

Yeah you draw the line at him banging his coworker on a trip for the next few days.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Now that I'm am actually at work and have properly read the tofu post, I repeat my previous statement of the guy being fully justified in ditching them and apologize again for my misinterpretation.

Lucrece posted:

He's cheating on you with her. There is a nonzero chance you were the side piece all along.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

He's cheating on you with her.

whoa whoa whoa let's not rush to judgment

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Lucrece posted:

You're the side piece

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

pentyne posted:

Anyone insisting that something they eat in America "must be eaten this way" is a loving tool because people from the actual culture aren't going to be super hardasses about it like that.

what about italians?

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Miss posted:

what about italians?

the only way to properly eat italian food is by pissing off italians

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Lucrece posted:

“you should be happy I’m out living life and getting these experiences”

This guy has balls like in that episode of South Park.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA For Making Rude Comments Towards My Cisgender Friend?

quote:

One of my friends, "Sally", is cisgender, which I really have no problem with. We've been friends for four years, and I've known that she was cis the entire time. I mean, I don't really believe in cis people, I think you'd have to be a bit weird to consider yourself a cisgender, but whatever, we both play guitar and we like the same video games, so it doesn't really bother me.

About a week ago, we were playing Super Smash Bros together, and when I beat her fair and square, she went on an entire rant at me about how I'm a terrible person. Apparently I've been a bad friend because I've made comments about her being a cisgender in the past, none of which I think are bad things to say. I've made comments about how I don't really believe that she's cis, because no one is really cis. According to her, that's extremely rude and disrespectful, and she know for sure that she's cis and has never had any doubts, but I just don't believe that. I mean, can you imagine never questioning your gender, at all, ever? And just believing what the doctors tell you when you're born, that if you have a penis, you're a guy, and if you have a vagina, you're a girl? Idk, that just sounds like a symptom of narcissism to me, and I told her that. Then she flipped out at me and said that I was always a poo poo friend, and that she doesn't want to hang out with me anymore.

I asked one of our mutual friends about this, Matt, and he said that he doesn't think I'm in the wrong here, and that even if Sally disagrees with me, we can still be friends and have political disagreements. I have free speech to say whatever I want to, and if Sally doesn't like that then she doesn't have to hang out with me.

But now Sally's been trash talking me with other friends, and they've all taken her side. I'm genuinely confused here. Were the comments I made to her lovely and mean? Am I wrong to think that being cisgender is unnatural and weird?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lucrece posted:

Is there a point where you put too much bait on the hook and the hook doesn't work anymore? Feels like this is well past that point but this is reddit

Barudak fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 8, 2019

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Lucrece posted:

Cumshitter's early work

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I agree. It is extremely narcissistic to defy God, who is gay, by believing that you are a heterosexual outlier. The Bible makes it perfectly clear that the Lord is homosexual. I actually empathize a lot with God, because we both know the pain of raising disappointing heterosexual children.

Evidence:

-God created Adam first in His perfect image. He only created Eve because Adam demanded it. Like me, God was a bad parent, but somehow even worse because His son wanted to gently caress something that didn't even exist yet. Think about that: Adam wanted to gently caress something God had to invent. Adam is the pre-anime version of a weeaboo who humps his anime pillow.

-We celebrate the immaculate conception because a man was born without having to touch a woman.

-God is consistently only interested in the affairs of men.

In short, God is gay. Like me, but an even worse parent because he gave up on Adam. I will never give up on my son.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

Is there a point where you put too much bait on the hook and the hook doesn't work anymore? Feels like this is well past that point but this is reddit

I mean I assumed it's supposed to be obvious satire?

Miss posted:

what about italians?
We give each other poo poo about making food wrong so there's no way to please us anyway. Well Italian-Americans do I just assume Italians in Italy do it as well since most Italian-Americans I know are only one or two generations off the boat.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The immaculate conception refers to Mary being born without original sin, which allowed her to carry the son of god. The oldest sources describe Mary with a word that is closest to "maiden," but which was translated to "virgin" at some point to help convert some celtic tribes who had a myth about a virgin birth :eng101:

Anyway, it is well established that God is in favor of both homosexuality and drug use, as in Leviticus it states "if a man lies with another man, they should both be stoned"

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
My final contingency plan for my son is that should I die while he's still married to his wife he will only inherit my estate and my majority stake in Capital Under Management if he marries a man within 72 hours of my will reading. The greatest gift I can give him in death is a forced gay romance based on a romantic comedy I saw while drunk and sort of remember the details of.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I am having a hard time believing there is a Chinese place that doesn't have multiple vegetables and tofu options. But if such a place exists, let the vegan order his goddamn mapo tofu without meat. It might taste wrong to a meat eater but give the guy his dish. At family style everyone should get to pick at least one dish. I would hope they also have salt and pepper tofu because that poo poo is delicious.

Generally Asian food is the only time tofu is palatable for me because they aren't trying to make it substitute for meat. It's a good ingredient as long as you respect it and use it for what it is. That said, I absolutely suck at cooking tofu, can never get it right, and only eat it if it is on the menu at a restaurant.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Sagebrush posted:

The immaculate conception refers to Mary being born without original sin, which allowed her to carry the son of god. The oldest sources describe Mary with a word that is closest to "maiden," but which was translated to "virgin" at some point to help convert some celtic tribes who had a myth about a virgin birth :eng101:

Anyway, it is well established that God is in favor of both homosexuality and drug use, as in Leviticus it states "if a man lies with another man, they should both be stoned"

I think what god is saying there is that if you think you're too heterosexual to have sex with someone of the same gender, smoke weed until you can enjoy it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

cumshitter posted:

My final contingency plan for my son is that should I die while he's still married to his wife he will only inherit my estate and my majority stake in Capital Under Management if he marries a man within 72 hours of my will reading. The greatest gift I can give him in death is a forced gay romance based on a romantic comedy I saw while drunk and sort of remember the details of.

Brewster's Millions (of sperm, in your butt)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not wanting to “confess” or pay my mom’s medical bills after she ate my edibles?

I'm still 20 pages back, but there was an update to this:

/r/raisedbynarcissists
My mom ate my edibles follow-up: I did it. I stood up to my nfamily and called them out on their emotional abuse
[Progress]
Hi. Two days ago, I made a post on AmITheAsshole that blew up way more than I thought it would and I was constantly referred to this sub. I legitimately thought that this was a morally grey situation (probably due to the gaslighting I’ve had to deal with) but apparently it broke one of the sub rules about not making a post where you clearly are not the rear end in a top hat (LOL) so it got deleted. Well at least my narc family thinks that I’m 1000% the rear end in a top hat. To sum it up, my mom has a history of snooping through my stuff (though she swears she does not). She dogsat for me while I was away, found my store-bought, child-proof labeled edibles, and went to the ER with a $1500 bill. She didn’t know what had happened to her and I refused to tell anyone or pitch in to pay for her medical bills because it’s not my fault and she’s fine. I made an update to the post stating that my aunt put two and two together and told the rest of the family that my mom went to the ER because she ate edibles at my place. They were harassing me and calling me horrible things, one of them being a criminal (weed isn’t legal in my state yet). This kind of behavior is not new but they’ve never had any “legal” dirt on me. So I responded with a big paragraph detailing the criminal history of this family. I mentioned penalties and jail times for tax evasion + money laundering, social security scam, and faking a marriage in order to obtain a permanent residency status. I told them I was mentioning these things of the past to show that there is no reason to vilify me so horribly for “what I’ve done” when they never got called out on any of these things.

It felt amazing. Oh my god. They got so triggered it was beautiful. They really had no argument against me. So they just resorted to vile insults, called me insane, ungrateful and said that I was attacking them. Of course, they repeatedly reminded me that they have done so much for me. As if helping someone out excuses emotional abuse lol. I never stepped down to their level, but I did call them out on their repetitive verbal and emotional abuse. That only got them more triggered.

But I’m financially independent and don’t need them lol. In fact my mom, despite being affected, is not mad at me or verbally abusing me at all. She doesn’t agree with what I said but is fighting back against the horrible things her siblings are saying about me. I feel like despite her invasiveness, there’s hope for her. She wants to try to be better. No one else realizes that there’s anything wrong to their words or actions.

My cousins were always the trouble kids. I was the good girl, the one that never talked back to adults, the one that stayed quiet and obeyed. The one used as an example for how the rest should behave. Must be the wildest shock and betrayal to finally see me stand up for myself, and then disappear. From now on, I’m NC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Idk man but that sounds like an excellent way to prove you were an accessory after the fact