Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Try LUI Extended, only advice I can give

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
This looks great, thank you!

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
Could I score a guild invite on @Sintour goonsirs?

Dry Hump
Sep 14, 2013
Anyway I can get a guild invite? @DryHump

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
Edit: already answered by Scy

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

I haven't been keeping up with leaks or data mining. Has the next expansion been figured out? Are they going with the obvious choice of Hammerfell? Seeing as the previous chapters were in Pact and Dominion territory Hammerfell would fit as a Covenant chapter.

I would love to to see some of the other continents/lands like Pyandonea, Akavir, or Atmora. We will probably go back to Skyrim before those areas though.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

MH Knights posted:

We will probably go back to Skyrim before those areas though.

Ding Ding Ding, just answered your own question.

Skyrim is the obvious choice because they need to milk this shambling corpse of a game as much as they can before too many people leave

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Skyrim is obviously on of the next two chapters, the only question is will it be next year, or will it be the following year so it can be the 10th Anniversary of Skyrim.

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

Sky Shadowing posted:

Skyrim is obviously on of the next two chapters, the only question is will it be next year, or will it be the following year so it can be the 10th Anniversary of Skyrim.

It makes sense to release it next year, it still captures the popularity of the original single player base and I'd wager will be similar to Morrowind in terms of chapter hype. 90 percent of the playerbase will be happy, 5 percent jaded (Hello!) and percent will quit.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

It's this year, dataminers probably have it all figured out and are waiting to cockblock ZOS before their big announcement.

Besides, dead game dead chapter.

Gymp
Dec 9, 2003

Really digging the game, it's a shame that it seems to be dying. The world is really immersive and it's fun doing stuff at your own pace.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
In a tease at the Game Awards, basically confirmed that the next chapter is Skyrim.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfeR8KaQWRs

Not even going to lie, they hooked me in when I saw nordbro's helmet and axe. Now I want to see how he got out of that soulgem he was trapped in at the end of Three Fates.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
So much more Tamriel that has never been seen or explored, but nah - let's go back to Skyrim to milk the nostalgia whales for more cash.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Skyrim is legitimately the most boring option available, but they just made something more out there with Elsweyr, so it's hard to blame them for going with a safer, more lucrative option here.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

I guess Besthesda hasn't re-re-re-released Skyrim in a while so this could be close enough to fulfill their daedric contractual obligations. And then they can re-re-re-re-release the actual Skyrim yet again on the new consoles next year! Including bug/glitches from the original release that fans patched ages ago!

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Scyantific posted:

Besides, dead game dead chapter.

Gymp posted:

Really digging the game, it's a shame that it seems to be dying.

I’m curious what facts there are that support this? Not because I doubt it, but because “MMO health” seems like a difficult thing to appraise these days.

If I’m understanding it correctly, a lot (?) of long time players are quitting because the developers don’t seem interested in actually paying attention to gameplay and balancing issues.

But since it’s pretty much F2P at this point (as the base game can usually be gotten for pocket change), isn’t there a chance that the influx of new players make up for it numbers-wise?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Comrade Koba posted:

I’m curious what facts there are that support this? Not because I doubt it, but because “MMO health” seems like a difficult thing to appraise these days.

If I’m understanding it correctly, a lot (?) of long time players are quitting because the developers don’t seem interested in actually paying attention to gameplay and balancing issues.

But since it’s pretty much F2P at this point (as the base game can usually be gotten for pocket change), isn’t there a chance that the influx of new players make up for it numbers-wise?

A big problem is the gap between someone who is really good at the systems in the game and someone who is mediocre at it is so big that balance changes that are unfun and annoying for the former have a huge impact on the latter.

High level players quitting here is a bad sign because if they find it annoying, actual new players are going to find it even more annoying.

Like, even knowing how to get a Camoran Throne on new characters makes an insane difference. I just started to level a no CP alt without one and holy poo poo, I wouldn't envy anyone in that situation. I made it to level 7 before I gave in and used a third party website to find where to buy a stack at a guild AH, which I was only able to afford in a reasonable time because I already had an alt with max legerdemain.

A new player coming in, not knowing to stack one resource when leveling, not having access to decent food, not knowing how to weave, etc, is not going to have a pleasant time.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Like, even knowing how to get a Camoran Throne on new characters makes an insane difference. I just started to level a no CP alt without one and holy poo poo, I wouldn't envy anyone in that situation. I made it to level 7 before I gave in and used a third party website to find where to buy a stack at a guild AH, which I was only able to afford in a reasonable time because I already had an alt with max legerdemain.

A new player coming in, not knowing to stack one resource when leveling, not having access to decent food, not knowing how to weave, etc, is not going to have a pleasant time.

90% of the content in this game is easy as balls. None of this matters to the casual player.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Oceanbound posted:

90% of the content in this game is easy as balls. None of this matters to the casual player.

This is exactly the difference I am pointing out. Yeah, for us it's easy.

On the other hand when Summerset came out one of the most common complaints you saw in the forums and subreddits was new players who got absolutely smashed by the first mini boss in the storyline - a boss that, if you have experience, you can pretty much sleep through.

Its easy because we already know all the weird tricks. For someone starting at 0 the game can be pretty unintuitive and confusing.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Beefeater posted:

So much more Tamriel that has never been seen or explored, but nah - let's go back to Skyrim to milk the nostalgia whales for more cash.

ill take it

was honestly expecting skyrim chapter for 2021 for the ten year anniversary but i guess 9 years is long enough

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Comrade Koba posted:

It's not even the balancing/gameplay issues that are a major problem, most midgame/endgame players can work around the bullshit changes that Gilliam and Wheeler push out with whatever dumb reasoning they give (i.e. "we put cast times on ultimates to provide a period of counterplay"). The main issue is the goddamn performance, it's simply impossible to work around constant server-to-client lag, frame drops, and memory leaks that constantly plague the game. And that's not even getting into the issues plaguing the Activity Finder that led to ZOS not only screwing us out of Midyear Mayhem (the PvP event a lot of people were eagerly waiting for), but also the recent Undaunted event that keeps getting pushed back while "they work on improving the Activity Finder."

That's what is causing the exodus of players. Why bother playing a game when you're not even sure that it'll run properly in the first place? The constant dumbing down of gameplay just makes things worse.

Like, even if the game went truly F2P the majority of casuals are only here for a few weeks at best before they get bored and move on. Or until they come across something they can't get through without putting in a minimal amount of effort (mainly PvP really; they come into PvP thinking their bow/staff build is going to work wonders, immediately get put in the dumpster by someone running a proper setup, and then end up either quitting because :effort: or running to the forums and claiming that [X] build is OP and should be nerfed).

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Logging in daily to this dead gay game, playing casually as a drunk european, the housing guild I hang around in has 70/492 online. Same as it was a year ago, pretty much, except their houses look even more ridiculously elaborate.

e: come back hhhberk!

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

cannot as im currently flying spaceships in warframe which is, at the moment, a more unstable experience than cyrodiil

but i do need to at least check out the latest DLC sometime soon

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
I left for a lot of the same reasons already posted - the final annoying proverbial nail was the rudderless combat dev team making massive, seesaw changes every three months like clockwork. It was annoying to have to spend a bunch of gold and stones to constantly respec and transmute a bunch of poo poo on nearly every character because those two morons didn't have the loving foggiest what they figured "balance" was.

The performance is also god awful. Cyrodiil during primetime is pretty much unplayable. It was a regular occurrence to see swords (a fight) going down somewhere on the map, port to the closest keep, run out to join said fight...and lag out to login. Followed by not being able to log in at all afterwards for 5-10 minutes.

And man alive is the game monetized all to gently caress. I went over to FF14 afterwards and the difference was staggering; what costs $10-$50 in ESO is given to the player for free in FF14. Simple poo poo like adjusting the look of your character or a goddamn mount. I know that ESO doesn't require a sub like FF14 does, but the cash shop is absolutely the focus of the game now and it shows. The cost of a reskinned mount is more than buying the goddamn game. A house can cost upwards of $150. You can't even change the color of your character's hair without inserting your credit card. It's insane.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

If you just treat ESO like a normal MMO with a sub, like the good old days, I don't see why you'd ever need to pay anything extra.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
In hindsight I wish they would haven stuck with the sub and had a minimalist cash shop rather than "buy everything in the crown store". Considering how terrible launch was though I doubt it would have survived had they kept it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

So, whoever had the idea of using extra transmute crystals to make things Nirnhorned and then deconstruct it ... Genius. I've only done it a few times but I'm 2/3 on getting Potent Nirncrux. I'm guessing item rarity affects the decon results, so I've been doing it with trash purples from BG rewards.

I mean, there is the issue that I basically log in to do writs and a battleground every 2 days to soak up rested XP and nothing else, but I'm sure it'll be fun again soon.

edit:

Beefeater posted:

Considering how terrible launch was though I doubt it would have survived had they kept it.
By 'good old days' I meant Ultima Online, Everquest, AC, WoW, SWG, etc. Not ESO early days! Those were bad!

You know - good MMOs that charged a sub to play and that was that. I don't really mind F2P models where the subbed experience is the same as we're used to historically, though.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 16, 2019

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Scyantific posted:

It's not even the balancing/gameplay issues that are a major problem, most midgame/endgame players can work around the bullshit changes that Gilliam and Wheeler push out with whatever dumb reasoning they give (i.e. "we put cast times on ultimates to provide a period of counterplay"). The main issue is the goddamn performance, it's simply impossible to work around constant server-to-client lag, frame drops, and memory leaks that constantly plague the game. And that's not even getting into the issues plaguing the Activity Finder that led to ZOS not only screwing us out of Midyear Mayhem (the PvP event a lot of people were eagerly waiting for), but also the recent Undaunted event that keeps getting pushed back while "they work on improving the Activity Finder."

That's what is causing the exodus of players. Why bother playing a game when you're not even sure that it'll run properly in the first place? The constant dumbing down of gameplay just makes things worse.

Like, even if the game went truly F2P the majority of casuals are only here for a few weeks at best before they get bored and move on. Or until they come across something they can't get through without putting in a minimal amount of effort (mainly PvP really; they come into PvP thinking their bow/staff build is going to work wonders, immediately get put in the dumpster by someone running a proper setup, and then end up either quitting because :effort: or running to the forums and claiming that [X] build is OP and should be nerfed).

Don't forget that an increasing number of people just straight up can't play. Whatever they're doing with that Akamai server authentication software means that entire chunks of countries (including the US and for some reason an ever increasing number of ISP's and regions.) just time out at trying to select a character. The only way around it is to use a VPN. Only a VPN means paying money or having terrible connection speeds so most people get fed up with that in a month or two.

This has been a known bug for at least since Summerset came out. There's been damned near hundreds of posts on the forums about it only to get some generic "try reinstalling it's on your end we promise" crap to no avail. And then when you open a ticket when they realize the problem you're having is that particular problem they just stop responding until the ticket times out. They just. Don't. Care. about fixing that bug. The closest they gave to a response was a "Yeah, we know it's a huge problem that's steadily killing the game but it's a lot of effort to fix it so :shrug: why bother unless we have too." months back.

I know like five people that were actively forced to quit because of that. And the number seems to be going up at a fairly rapid rate as time goes on. It's probably the only time i've seen a game lose a large number of players because the devs were too spineless to fix a critical bug.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 18, 2019

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Archonex posted:

They just. Don't. Care. about fixing that bug. The closest they gave to a response was a "Yeah, we know it's a huge problem that's steadily killing the game but it's a lot of effort to fix it so :shrug: why bother unless we have too." months back.

I think this sums up a lot of their outlook on the game these days - the absolute focus is the cash shop and milking whales for as much and as long as they can. The actual game itself is secondary. If they can get this poo poo to limp and lag along just well enough that a decent majority can actually log in, that's the extent of effort that's willing to be put in. The game, such as it is, is basically window dressing for the crown store.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Beefeater posted:

I think this sums up a lot of their outlook on the game these days - the absolute focus is the cash shop and milking whales for as much and as long as they can. The actual game itself is secondary. If they can get this poo poo to limp and lag along just well enough that a decent majority can actually log in, that's the extent of effort that's willing to be put in. The game, such as it is, is basically window dressing for the crown store.

If this were true, you'd think they would put more cool new stuff on the crown store, but they've been recycling the same old poo poo all year.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Nerd Of Prey posted:

If this were true, you'd think they would put more cool new stuff on the crown store, but they've been recycling the same old poo poo all year.

I just redownloaded last week and I was shocked that there were no new costumes in the crown store. Like, not even a rotation?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Anyone else getting crazy pings to NA last couple of days? I'm usually around 100-120, but hovering around 300 now since yesterday or the day before. My connection to everything else seems to be fine.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I just redownloaded last week and I was shocked that there were no new costumes in the crown store. Like, not even a rotation?

Most new costumes and such that they stick in there these days are "BUY NOW! LIMITED TIME ONLY!!!" and are only available for like three days to a week. It's rare that they rotate the same old usual crap that's been in there forever.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Pivo posted:

Anyone else getting crazy pings to NA last couple of days? I'm usually around 100-120, but hovering around 300 now since yesterday or the day before. My connection to everything else seems to be fine.

We were discussing this in discord, everyone's had this increase since maintenance. Something having to do with routing through Akamai

E: hahahaha apparently everyone was getting routed through Sydney thus causing the ping increase.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 20, 2019

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Scyantific posted:

E: hahahaha apparently everyone was getting routed through Sydney thus causing the ping increase.

oops

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I hit level 50 for the firs time last week and I don't know any of this. My food sucks bad.

Is it still bad to put points into Health?

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 22, 2019

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

GreenNight posted:

I hit level 50 for the firs time last week and I don't know any of this. My food sucks bad.

Is it still bad to put points into Health?

The game does a very, very poor job of explaining how to build your character properly. The best advice I can give is pick a spec (mag or stam) and dump all your attributes into it, and then take any skills that scale off your maximum stat pool.

If you want more in depth I suggest hitting up AlcastHQ. Easily the best resource for starting out.

justblais
Apr 28, 2019

its ya boi
despite people telling me this is a dead game I still bought it cause it was on big steam sale so now I need a guild invite

I think my @name is @MikeBlais because that's the userID linked to the email that my steam account linked to the game?? but it's anyone's guess cause I couldn't see it in game lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

justblais posted:

despite people telling me this is a dead game I still bought it cause it was on big steam sale so now I need a guild invite

I think my @name is @MikeBlais because that's the userID linked to the email that my steam account linked to the game?? but it's anyone's guess cause I couldn't see it in game lol

Best way to figure out your user ID is to bring up the Friends menu, and in the upper left corner it'll say UserID followed by what your actual user ID is. (i.e mine is @Heatnix90).