Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
There should be 0 fire types in the game.

If fire type is you favorite I'm sorry they're bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

There should be 0 fire types in the game.

If fire type is you favorite I'm sorry they're bad

But...my dear puppy Pokemon, Growlithe...

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'd love to see the Gen 8 Pokedex broken down by type and family, not gonna lie.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
reminder that [your favourite pokemon] was cut from sword and shield and [your least favourite pokemon] was included

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

ungulateman posted:

reminder that [your favourite pokemon] was cut from sword and shield and [your least favourite pokemon] was included

What do I do if this isn't true

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ungulateman posted:

Eevee and all 8 of its evolutions are in and Miltank is out so false.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

ungulateman posted:

My 5 favorite pokemon in order are:

Ribombee
Butterfree
Milotic
Dhelmise
Aerodactyl

I think this gen is pretty alright.

CubeTheory fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 8, 2019

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

ungulateman posted:

sableye and garbodor are right there

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

ribombee has been my favorite pokemon for two generations now and they still havent made a ribombee plushie and im angry about it

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Sea Lily posted:

ribombee has been my favorite pokemon for two generations now and they still havent made a ribombee plushie and im angry about it

This.

Ribombee plush when.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think the raids add a really cool dynamic in terms of being able to show off how powerful you've made your favorite mon in a setting outside of competetive where you'll get annihilated by anyone who's running a really sweaty team. It's great going into the Snorlax raids with Scrafty and then having everyone else's Machamps die to Zen Headbutt, or bringing Vanilluxe into Grass-type raids where everyone else runs Charizard. I mentioned fire types specifically because I was trying to think of who to bring to Cottonee raids, flipping through my boxes and really struggling to find any fire types at all, much less one I wanted to use.

I wouldn't mind a slimmer number of Fire pokes if Bug/Grass weren't so common. Bug/Grass/Normal/Dark are like the brunt of the trashmobs the games throw at you early on before you have a ton of choice about your team, so Fire/Fighting has always felt super efficient.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Flying types are fairly evergreen too, more common early on than fire types, and are very effective against both bug and grass. Wing Attack also packs way more power than most early game Fire moves, and comes at disgustingly early levels for most any flying type that learns it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Nanigans posted:

I may be remembering something completely made up, but I think the developers said the reason for that is that fire isn't something all that commonly occurring in nature. Though, I'm sure Californians would disagree right now.

Psychics, ghosts, and fairies don't show up much in nature either but they're pretty common!

Those also happen to be among my favorite types, and SwSh includes the Clefairy, Togepi, and Ralts families, as well as newer favorites like Mimikyu. This game is good. :unsmith:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Fairy is very common in this game and I wonder if that's because the entire concept of a fairy is sorta tied in to the british isles

Like I did not expect Weezing to be a fairy, and that new Fairy/Dark imp line is basically proof that Fairy in this context is like, magical hill people

Why is the stonehenge pokemon not a fairy

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh right Rapidash being My Little Pony Unicorn Fairy

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Fairy is by leaps and bounds my favorite type so I won't complain about their prevalence, especially since they're a newer type anyway that my all time favorites got retconned into

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Framboise posted:

Fairy is by leaps and bounds my favorite type so I won't complain about their prevalence, especially since they're a newer type anyway that my all time favorites got retconned into
big :same:

the new fairies are fantastic too

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think Sinistea is the only new ghost (not counting corsola) so that's my literally only complaint as far as stuff goes

I love ghost pokemon.

Fake Edit: Oh right Dreepy but I forget it exists a lot as I didn't get it till post game and although it's cute I just had zero chance to actually grow attached.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Really disappointed at the lack of Alolan forms in this game, especially after they put them in Let's Go, I absolutely love Alolan Ninetails and Raichu is really neat too. I do feel like theres a billion of them though, and Hatterne/Rapidash seem like weird decisions from a type-based standpoint considering they already have Gardevoire filling that exact same archetype. Hell, Hatterne is basically 1:1 just a Gardevoire clone, even down to design. Coulda done Fire/Fairy for Rapidash as well.

e: on a Semi-related note it feels like there's four Electric mons this gen as well, and I refuse to use Boltund because he looks too much like a Deviantart fan-submission. Joltik/Galvantula rule but their whole schtick isn't as useful as normal considering it rains like all the time in the Wild Area and so many DMax water moves cause rain

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 8, 2019

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think Sinistea is the only new ghost (not counting corsola) so that's my literally only complaint as far as stuff goes

I love ghost pokemon.

Fake Edit: Oh right Dreepy but I forget it exists a lot as I didn't get it till post game and although it's cute I just had zero chance to actually grow attached.

Also Galar Yamask and Runerigus.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I love Sinistea and Polteageist's designs, and doubly so when I remember the silly little teapot things have a Special Attack stat on the level of stuff like Darkrai and the Lati twins

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I absolutely love it when household items like "A teapot" and "some keys" are actually competively viable and always make an effort to use them

I love it even more when people get mad that "this shouldn't be a pokemon" when Gen 1 had literal rocks (evolves into bigger rocks), a pokeball, and a blob of goo that evolves into a bigger blob of goo.

Polteageist specifically can use a move called Shell Smash which doubles attack, special attack and speed in exchange for lower defenses, and has an ability called Weak Armor which raises speed further if you're hit.

Give it a focus sash which prevents one hit KOs, let it take a single hit to set up, and the thing can wipe out teams

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Game Freak should stop pandering to genfivers.

Unfreakinbelievable.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
just alternating years of RBY remakes and GSC remakes, forever,

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Your Computer posted:

I definitely felt like gen V was over-represented but that's probably just because the gen V designs stick out like a sore thumb to me

I'm... not a fan

I will not rest until James Turner is punished for his sins. It's especially bad because his abominations are some of my least favorite pokemon but they got in.

Granted my favorite Arcanine is in so I can't complain any more than I do whenever I have to look at that trash.

e: basically I like pokemon that pass the completely arbitrary "can I picture this as a pretend animal" test. There are no hard or fast rules and my judgment is harsh and random.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 8, 2019

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Well he became lead art director for this game, so that may take a while.

He did at least give us Shadow Lugia back in Gen III. And then he went on to make the Vanilluxe line.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Araxxor posted:

Well he became lead art director for this game, so that may take a while.

He did at least give us Shadow Lugia back in Gen III. And then he went on to make the Vanilluxe line.

Shadow Lugia was in fact his very first design.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
golurk family is good

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Eimi posted:

e: basically I like pokemon that pass the completely arbitrary "can I picture this as a pretend animal" test. There are no hard or fast rules and my judgment is harsh and random.

Yeah this is basically my approach on judging them as well. Ive gone on rants about how I feel about newer designs but I feel like the drawing style is more of an issue than the designs themselves. Pretty significant number of the Pokemon over the last few gens feel like they're more along the lines of YoKaiWatch characters than Pokemon. I don't necessarily mind the fact that a Pokemon is an inanimate object or whatever, but like...the new fossils just look so terrible. And I don't mean the fossil mixing and matching, I get the concept and think it could have worked, but god they're just such ugly drawings. From a stylistic perspective they just look completely different from anything prior to like, maybe gen 6/7. Cufant is also egregiously ugly despite being relatively mundane in terms of design, it's basically just an elephant.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah this is basically my approach on judging them as well. Ive gone on rants about how I feel about newer designs but I feel like the drawing style is more of an issue than the designs themselves. Pretty significant number of the Pokemon over the last few gens feel like they're more along the lines of YoKaiWatch characters than Pokemon. I don't necessarily mind the fact that a Pokemon is an inanimate object or whatever, but like...the new fossils just look so terrible. And I don't mean the fossil mixing and matching, I get the concept and think it could have worked, but god they're just such ugly drawings. From a stylistic perspective they just look completely different from anything prior to like, maybe gen 6/7. Cufant is also egregiously ugly despite being relatively mundane in terms of design, it's basically just an elephant.

Yeah. It's an elephant but it looks off. I think part of it is the basic design, they went incredibly blocky for some reason, but I also think it's the coloring/textures. Like take Bolthund, it's an electric greyhound, okay cool design, shame it comes form a corgi, but whatever. But in game it's colors/textures are just off. It looks like it's made of plastic instead of having fur. Yamper has that issue from some angles, but overall it manages to make me not think it's some weird fake thing, but Bolthund just looks fake. It's a toy figure come to life on a design that is not trying to be that. It's very offputting. The earlier more pastel palate and softer lines they worked with in the old days was just flat out better.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

A big part of the issue with the newer designs is that the style of design absolutely changed over the course of the franchise. The earlier Pokemon had a more rough and natural feeling quality to them, while the later ones are a lot more soft and simplified.

https://twitter.com/Mega_Arcanine1/status/1136713971690610689

Doesn't help that Ken Sugimori said that back during Gen 5, he wanted Pokemon designs to be more simplistic, so we're basically stuck with this style now.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Dec 8, 2019

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Araxxor posted:

A big part of the issue with the newer designs is that the style of design absolutely changed over the course of the franchise. The earlier Pokemon had a more rough and natural feeling quality to them, while the later ones are a lot more soft and simplified.

Doesn't help that Ken Sugimori said that back during Gen 5, he wanted Pokemon designs to be more simplistic, so we're basically stuck with this style now.

Okay I posted something almost identical to this like a year ago, comparing Arcanine to Lycanroc and Pidgey to Fletchling and people here called me insane and had no idea what I was talking about. I actually really liked how originally Pokemon felt like they were inspired by the wildlife documentation (along with the use of watercolors like were being used during European exploration of Africa) and now everything just looks like they were designed straight for the anime

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Araxxor posted:

Well that's a really succinct explanation of why I tend to like older mons. The new ones can have some decent stuff, and I do think a lot of that can be salvaged by color palate/lighting/texture work. It's not all dire but I really miss that older art direction. Also makes the older starters more impressive because they managed to be super cute without 'cheating' so to speak.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Araxxor posted:

I wouldn't put all the blame on that, even Gen I had a bunch of very soft and simple designs. Take Clefairy or Oddish for example

those stubby feet and arms are like peak Gen I for me. :3:

personally one of the reasons I'm more fond of the older mons (I mean, aside from nostalgia but I feel that's a given :v:) is that in addition to the stylistic shift a lot of the mons feel very "overdesigned". Compare Persian with Liepard:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Simultaneously underdesigned and overdesigned.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Simultaneously underdesigned and overdesigned.

I mean yes, this is possible.

Like take Drednaw. Its body has a pretty rough design reminiscent of how Pokemon in earlier generations looked.

Then you get to the thing's face which is ridiculously simplistic compared to the rest of the design, creating a rather inconsistent look.

And that's not even getting into the Frankenfossils.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Araxxor posted:

I mean yes, this is possible.

Like take Drednaw. Its body has a pretty rough design reminiscent of how Pokemon in earlier generations looked.

Then you get to the thing's face which is ridiculously simplistic compared to the rest of the design, creating a rather inconsistent look.
I would argue that Drednaw's head is a good example of the overdesigning I'm talking about. Behold my rigorous artistic analysis comparing it to the head of a turtle of yore

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the jaw thing is definitely supposed to be reminiscent of a bear trap, hence the mechanical aspect.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I mean also part of it was in Gen 1 you could literally just draw An Actual Cat and say "this is a pokemon" and make it normal type

And if you did that 3 more times people would probably just poo poo on you, so you have to make the Dark Type Cat dark and spiky

I like a lot of the new designs this gen but I absolutely hate how the starters final forms are essentially now Digimon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I like all the Pokemon, they are my friends and I have a great time watching my friends get the poo poo beat out of them.