Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
that's just under a month. just under a month til more Doctors Whom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

docbeard posted:

I kind of love "Space For All" as a Doctor Who tagline.

:agreed:

Space. For All.

(Even the haters)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Box of Bunnies posted:

that's just under a month. just under a month til more Doctors Whom!

Thank you sweet baby Jesus :worship:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
6:55 GMT, 1/1/20.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Edward Mass posted:

6:55 GMT, 1/1/20.

PM, I guess.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Nope! You've got to wake up super-early in the morning to watch it!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Edward Mass posted:

Nope! You've got to wake up super-early in the morning to watch it!

you joke, but like 7 in the morning is the time episodes go up on ABC iView here in Australia

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

wrong thread

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 4, 2019

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
13 is going to cross over into 10’s timestream in the comics. Expect the machine that goes ding!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/Pancheers/status/1202605557619802113?s=20

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Naoko :allears:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Heh

https://twitter.com/naoko_mori/status/1202641195412922368?s=20

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I honestly can’t believe that’s still there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's excellent.

Anybody watched season 1 of Torchwood lately? Ooof.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/BBCOne/status/1202981684955799552?s=20

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Speaking of doctor who, where the hell is the season 10 soundtrack? I need the actual track of him dying in the control room. (A great scene).

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

That's excellent.

Anybody watched season 1 of Torchwood lately? Ooof.

The rape poo poo didn't sit well with most people at the time, it is NOT going to age well

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Burkion posted:

The rape poo poo didn't sit well with most people at the time, it is NOT going to age well

It's so loving bad.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Rhyno posted:

It's so loving bad.

It's super bad and then the rapist is a main character that you're meant to root for and emotionally engage with for the rest of the show. Makes it nearly totally unwatchable, as someone who tried a few years ago. I just could not get past the fact that we see this guy in the first episode doing a date rape and then the rest of the episodes treat him as a normal protagonist-y bloke.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And then the play it like he's going to be killed off but instead he's an undead monster for the rest of the show.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Android Blues posted:

It's super bad and then the rapist is a main character that you're meant to root for and emotionally engage with for the rest of the show. Makes it nearly totally unwatchable, as someone who tried a few years ago. I just could not get past the fact that we see this guy in the first episode doing a date rape and then the rest of the episodes treat him as a normal protagonist-y bloke.

When I first watched it as it came out, I could never get that opening character intro out of my mind for the rest of the show. He was always 'the rapist', no matter how heroically he acted or the sacrifices he made or whatnot.

Maybe that's what they intended? ..mmmmmmmaybe? If so, well, mission accomplished, guys, but otherwise...

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That's why the only Torchwood I've watched in full is Children of Earth, which is very good. I think the rapist is gone by that point?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

EimiYoshikawa posted:

When I first watched it as it came out, I could never get that opening character intro out of my mind for the rest of the show. He was always 'the rapist', no matter how heroically he acted or the sacrifices he made or whatnot.

Maybe that's what they intended? ..mmmmmmmaybe? If so, well, mission accomplished, guys, but otherwise...

Keep in mind Misfits, another show from the same time frame, had some one whose super power was effectively "Super Rape"

The British were really, really wanting to push a rapist as a main character and I cannot fathom why

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

marktheando posted:

That's why the only Torchwood I've watched in full is Children of Earth, which is very good. I think the rapist is gone by that point?

Oh yeah, he's long gone by that point. Children of Earth is probably the only Torchwood really worth watching. ...I need to watch Children of Earth again...

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
While the character commits what is, by any reasonable definition, rape in the first episode, RTD clearly didn't intend for it to be taken as such (and this is to his detriment; it's really really loving bad). So it's kind of unfair to hold that against the character. It's like how, yes, it's incredibly inappropriate for Professor X to be perving over Jean Grey in Silver Age X-Men, but you're not supposed to read the character as pervy (unless you're Mark Waid); it speaks more of Stan Lee's failings than Professor X.

I don't know why I'm going to the mat for Torchwood of all things.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Oh yeah, he's long gone by that point. Children of Earth is probably the only Torchwood really worth watching. ...I need to watch Children of Earth again...

Children of Earth held up pretty decently when I watched it a year or so ago. The biggest flaw is it can't really support 5 hour-long episodes; losing an episode or maybe shortening the length a bit would have helped a lot.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn_0NXHefpE

Nothing TOO spoiler-y here.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Android Blues posted:

I'm still not a fan of how they seemed to be half-looking for sympathy, but at least in The Boys a character introduced as a rapist is treated as a pathetic piece of poo poo joke and gently caress-up who everybody hates for the rest of the season. Making Owen into the heroic dude who everybody loves and respects for basically the entirety of his run on Torchwood was just miserable.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I seem to recall even outside of that Owen was kind of a dick.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

I seem to recall even outside of that Owen was kind of a dick.

That was the other thing, even taking away that he was a rapist, he was a thoroughly unpleasant and arrogant rear end in a top hat! And yet the characters in the show still seemed to trip over themselves wanting to like him or earn his respect or some bullshit.

Oh yeah this is looking really promising. Our long wait is almost over.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

LionArcher posted:

Speaking of doctor who, where the hell is the season 10 soundtrack? I need the actual track of him dying in the control room. (A great scene).

From what I heard, it’s down to Murray Gold not having put it together, and now he’s no longer working for the series he’s not so inclined to get it done.

There was an interview on Radio Free Skaro in the last few years with someone involved with Doctor Who brand management (I think it was Edward Russell), who gave the impression that we shouldn’t get our hopes up for a Series 10 soundtrack.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Zaroff posted:

From what I heard, it’s down to Murray Gold not having put it together, and now he’s no longer working for the series he’s not so inclined to get it done.

There was an interview on Radio Free Skaro in the last few years with someone involved with Doctor Who brand management (I think it was Edward Russell), who gave the impression that we shouldn’t get our hopes up for a Series 10 soundtrack.

Ugh. So lame. Some of his best work was that last season.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Graham Norton's show is often very mean-spirited, so this is much nicer.

And while we're on music, I really want Thirteen's theme to play whenever she does something clever, and I get that that's hacky, kind of, but I still want it, because I am the Doctor and A Good Man chiming in whenever The Doctor solved a problem was rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gNz_6HeaW4

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

I'm still not a fan of how they seemed to be half-looking for sympathy, but at least in The Boys a character introduced as a rapist is treated as a pathetic piece of poo poo joke and gently caress-up who everybody hates for the rest of the season. Making Owen into the heroic dude who everybody loves and respects for basically the entirety of his run on Torchwood was just miserable.

Also my money is on a redemption story for The Deep. He seems to be hitting a rock bottom, and I can see him genuinely start to see what he did was wrong and actually atone, instead of Fake Corporate Atone. By the end of this season I could even see him switching sides to The Boys.

Whereas Torchwood, there was no follow up, no arc. It was just a jokey "lol date rape" one time thing that was never mentioned again. Well I suppose so, because I never watched much Torchwood besides the first couple eps and CoE. :shrug:

I'll say this for Torchwood though: at least it's not Class.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Astroman posted:

Also my money is on a redemption story for The Deep. He seems to be hitting a rock bottom, and I can see him genuinely start to see what he did was wrong and actually atone, instead of Fake Corporate Atone. By the end of this season I could even see him switching sides to The Boys.

Whereas Torchwood, there was no follow up, no arc. It was just a jokey "lol date rape" one time thing that was never mentioned again. Well I suppose so, because I never watched much Torchwood besides the first couple eps and CoE. :shrug:

I'll say this for Torchwood though: at least it's not Class.

In Torchwood's case, the show'd probably just prefer the scene never have existed, and treats it like it never did.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I grinned when Jodie said "that's Ace!" because I am a silly man.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Burkion posted:

Keep in mind Misfits, another show from the same time frame, had some one whose super power was effectively "Super Rape"

Misfits at least treated this ability (anyone who touched Alisha, the character in question, had an uncontrollable urge to gently caress her, whether they, or she, wanted it) as something horrifying, and once she worked out the implications of it her only recourse was to just not touch people any more, including the person she was dating at the time. It wasn't perfect but the show never took the position that using this ability was okay, or just a funny goof (and it was very much a show where the characters' powers often were treated as a funny goof), which is definitely the position that first episode of Torchwood had when Owen 'borrowed' that alien aphrodisiac.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
I'm sure RTD didn't think much about the scene beyond "lol wouldn't it be funny if" because (as I recall) the guy whose girlfriend Owen used alien GHB on was all hypermasculine "oi, that's my loving bird", then he gets sprayed with the same stuff and oh tee hee, now he's getting his gay/bisexual sex on. I'm pretty sure RTD, a notoriously lazy writer during most of his run in the DW universe, gave it absolutely no more thought than that.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
My excuse for watching Torchwood was because I was 18 years old at the time, and it had ~adult situations~

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'm pretty sure RTD, a notoriously lazy writer during most of his run in the DW universe

I dunno, wasn't RTD famous for being overworked, hence the David Tennant sketch where he plays RTD as an overwrought chainsmoker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Open Source Idiom posted:

I dunno, wasn't RTD famous for being overworked, hence the David Tennant sketch where he plays RTD as an overwrought chainsmoker?

Well, I meant lazy as in "crafts the dumbest and most obvious poo poo", not lazy as in "can't be bothered". He worked hard on the shows; it's just that most of his work was trash, where characters did whatever suited the story at any given moment.

Don't feel bad though, RTD himself made the same mistake as an actual defense when confronted with the same argument about his lazy writing. :v: