Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The origin tree and big birb was absolutely loving sick. Not even to mention the boss fight, which I did much better at than I thought i would. I’m now on Dathomir per Eno’s instructions, trying to find some tool to climb yellow walls. How much farther do I have to go to the end of the game?

Like I said in a previous post, I definitely nearly burned out and bounced from this game when returning to old planets to backtrack became a thing. But I’m glad I’ve stuck with it. I have so many drat force powers now. I have to be the worst Jedi in history though. Like Obi Wan rolling over in his grave worst, because it doesn’t seem very Jedi of me to be force pulling enemies into my grasp and instantly executing them through the chest with a lightsaber. Boy it’s rad as hell to do to ranged soldiers but lol loving no way it’s Jedi-kosher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Blind Rasputin posted:

I have so many drat force powers now. I have to be the worst Jedi in history though. Like Obi Wan rolling over in his grave worst, because it doesn’t seem very Jedi of me to be force pulling enemies into my grasp and instantly executing them through the chest with a lightsaber. Boy it’s rad as hell to do to ranged soldiers but lol loving no way it’s Jedi-kosher.

It's called being a Gray Jedi

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

The origin tree and big birb was absolutely loving sick. Not even to mention the boss fight, which I did much better at than I thought i would. I’m now on Dathomir per Eno’s instructions, trying to find some tool to climb yellow walls. How much farther do I have to go to the end of the game?

Like I said in a previous post, I definitely nearly burned out and bounced from this game when returning to old planets to backtrack became a thing. But I’m glad I’ve stuck with it. I have so many drat force powers now. I have to be the worst Jedi in history though. Like Obi Wan rolling over in his grave worst, because it doesn’t seem very Jedi of me to be force pulling enemies into my grasp and instantly executing them through the chest with a lightsaber. Boy it’s rad as hell to do to ranged soldiers but lol loving no way it’s Jedi-kosher.

Finishing Dathomir gets you the final plot device so after that you’re pretty close. It’s not a point of no return though, the game lets you do everything you want to do before going to the final mission.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
This game needed more NPCs with side quests for you to do for various side benefits.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

Jedi murder the gently caress out of people all the time. So far as I can figure, the only difference between "light" and "dark" is whether they impale people while humming like an ascetic monk or screaming like Kratos.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Man this game's combat isn't as smooth as it thinks it is, parrying can be a total crap shoot, my lightsaber goes through enemies without damage and everything just feels a lot more clunky than it should be. This game wants to be like Sekiro but isn't even close to the fluidity of it.

This Taron Malicos fight is utter garbage as well.

What's with the performance on PC? It's all over the place.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

JBP posted:

They don't fly off though. They get stuck on the edge and fall down fully upright saying words. It's like 1998 up in this game.

Dude clean your playstation

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Browsing the last couple of pages, it looks like everyone else had the same trouble I was having until just recently, so I'm gonna post something I literally figured out just last night;

You can absolutely cancel a parry into another parry.

As long as you press the button with the proper timing, you'll just immediately warp into another parry animation. It's rad. Those double baton purge troopers with the super fast parry counter I spent the entire game thinking you could only block or dodge? Yeah, you can parry that. It's hard to do, and honestly you're probably better off doing parry -> dodge -> kick, but it's entirely possible. This is also true of attacks from multiple enemies, though in that case, you might be better off using the double bladed lightsaber.

Oh, yeah. That's another thing the game doesn't tell you. You know how you use the double saber to chain parry blaster bolts? Yeah, it works with melee attacks too. Same limitations apply; you've got to parry the first attack and keep holding the button, you've gotta be facing them, the attacks have to come within a certain window, and every parry after the first uses block stamina. It's great if you've got a bunch of dudes rushing you down from the front thinking they're hot poo poo.

And one other thing I just found out; those Security Droids I spent the whole game getting choke slammed by? Leaping Attack, the second hit of your one-handed strong combo, will stun them into a hackable state at any health. It works even if that's the first and only attack you hit them with. As long as you have enough Force, these guys are a joke now. You can actually get them on your side with basically full health, which turns any encounter with them and other enemies into hilarious physical comedy. Special shout out to the encounter with the Purge Commander and Security Droid in the final level, where the Commander will shoot at you and only you no matter how much his robot buddy beats him to death. Maybe the Empire shouldn't have made those guys quite so laser focused on Jedi. :shrug:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Just beat it, this game would have been so much better without of the Dark Souls poo poo games seem to always shove in these days. Really wished they refined the combat and made it more expansive, most of the skill tree is boring crap but I guess there's only so much you can do within Star Wars but like, give me some god drat force lightning at least or tons of environmental stuff to interact with using the force while in combat.

Overall it's pretty good and I'm excited to see what Respawn does with a sequel, shame they're stuck with the whole Dark Souls element now.

Also I fixed the performance by changing the game to Fullscreen Borderless and High details instead of epic, the difference went from 40~ fps to 144.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Bust Rodd posted:

The further I get from the game, the more it seems like they actually intended for you to blitz through the storyline and only go back to each planet once in the post-game after you’ve collected all your powers.

Do you ever unlock a fast travel mechanic?

The shortcuts are good and all but the trekking back to niche little corners of worlds with a new power up is making me feel the same as you. I don't really want to go back to any world unless i've got everything to let me 100% it.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
There is no fast travel, sadly. My only real criticism for this game is that backtracking for secrets is a god drat nightmare the first time through because the map is filled to the brim with one-way trips that aren't marked in any way, so you'll try to retrace your steps or get to a certain area only to find out that you can't get to it that specific way. Once you know the lay of the land, it's not too bad, but the most furious I've felt towards this game was not in any battle or boss fight, but in trying to find the last loving chest or percentage point in a given area. :argh:

The last ability you need to 100% any given planet is the double jump. I believe every single planet has at least one thing locked behind it. Once you have that, I'm pretty sure there's nothing stopping you.

Bust Rodd posted:

The further I get from the game, the more it seems like they actually intended for you to blitz through the storyline and only go back to each planet once in the post-game after you’ve collected all your powers.

Nah, your crew will usually tell you when you can go back somewhere and get a significant upgrade you couldn't get before. They'll mention Bogano when you get Push, and the crashed ship on Zeffo once you get double jump, both of which have extra stims hidden behind them.

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 8, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

PunkBoy posted:

Just finished. Very solid, and I would love to see Respawn do a sequel that improves on this one and/or some other Star Wars action game.

Love how the goal with Vader is to just get the gently caress away, and I was pleasantly surprised the ending was relatively happy and not "and then everyone died to Vader." I'm really sad Merrin wasn't introduced earlier. She's great, and I wanted to see her and Cal/the crew interact more. She should be playable in DLC/a sequel.

Cal grew on me as a character despite coming off as extremely bland at the beginning of the game and I liked him by the end. BD-1, Cere and Greez were also a lot of fun.

One small thing I liked about the game was the song that plays at the beginning of the game and the monster arena.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xClA02j0Yoo

I like hearing takes of "in-universe" music, and between this and the score in The Mandalorian, I'm digging how Star Wars music isn't just trying to be John Williams' score anymore.

oh yeah. that song is played by a real band. they are Mongolian metal band that combine throat singing and metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4xZUr0BEfE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM8dCGIm6yc

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sigher posted:

Man this game's combat isn't as smooth as it thinks it is, parrying can be a total crap shoot, my lightsaber goes through enemies without damage and everything just feels a lot more clunky than it should be. This game wants to be like Sekiro but isn't even close to the fluidity of it.

This Taron Malicos fight is utter garbage as well.

What's with the performance on PC? It's all over the place.

its fine against humans/huminoids. but against monsters it mostly sucks.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Yeah for Fallen Order II they need to reeeeeally cut back on the animal fights. Not only are they less fun to fight than Imperials and droids and bounty hunters, it seems distinctly un-Jedi-like to cut your way through half a planet's ecosystem just because they're in the way.

Also, give me a survival arena, please.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah for Fallen Order II they need to reeeeeally cut back on the animal fights. Not only are they less fun to fight than Imperials and droids and bounty hunters, it seems distinctly un-Jedi-like to cut your way through half a planet's ecosystem just because they're in the way.

Also, give me a survival arena, please.

its not just that. its also it just never gels as naturally. like stormtroopers and poo poo wandering around sure. but when its just a bunch of slugs and spiders just loving about constantly. it feels like a ps1 game. the souls eneimie encounter design kinda ruins the "living" feeling of the world.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Gameplay-wise, I would absolutely love it to focus on imperial troops and just have some occasional bigger monsters to fight rather than 99% of the visible wildlife on each planet. Thematically, it'd probably feel even weirder than it already does to just run around executing squads of low-level mooks, but hey, that's vidyagames I guess.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Man the Ilum crystal caves were amazing and beautiful. That was unexpectedly fun.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I’m back on Zeffo and BD1 just saved me from Trilla/First Sister — how many stims did you guys have at this point? I have 4 and I’d like more but sometimes exploration in this game is such a drag

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

omg chael crash posted:

I’m back on Zeffo and BD1 just saved me from Trilla/First Sister — how many stims did you guys have at this point? I have 4 and I’d like more but sometimes exploration in this game is such a drag

That sounds about right. For reference you can get up to 10 by the end.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Judging by the thread, I’m not going to like backtracking for them am I?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I finished it with 6

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I had five by the time I ran into her - one from the first visit to Bogano, and another from the first visit to Zeffo

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

omg chael crash posted:

Judging by the thread, I’m not going to like backtracking for them am I?

I just got two that are relatively easy to get to on Bogano and didn't bother backtracking more than that.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

omg chael crash posted:

Kibayasu posted:

That sounds about right. For reference you can get up to 10 by the end.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
You can have a maximum of 5 stims when you fight Second Sister a second time; two from Bogano, and one from Zeffo. You can get two more before you leave Zeffo again. Then there's one on Kashyyyk second visit, after which you can get one more on Zeffo, and one on Dathomir.

I love this game, BTW. I'm not even that big a Star Wars guy. I've never even seen ROTJ. I dunno, the game just feels really good to play to me. I agree with less animal fights, not because it isn't very "Jedi" or whatever, but because I long for a video game where animals act like actual animals, meaning they will mostly either run away from or ignore you unless they're starving or desperate or think you're threatening their kids. Just once I'd like to see an animal that gets winged by your lightsaber and then immediately decides you're not to be hosed with and just leaves. It makes sense for Stormtroopers to throw themselves at you with near-suicidal abandon because they're probably getting killed anyway if they don't, but most animals should really just want to stay alive.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I love watching no-damage runs, because even if you're great at the game, it still look like Cal's barely keeping up with his enemies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1CFNAv1c0M

The Malicos fight is a dance

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Someday I hope to see a Star Wars movie that accurately captures my fighting style, just endlessly dodge-rolling around the room to avoid attacks while occasionally sneaking in a couple hits when the badguy gets confused.

vvv :hmmyes:

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 8, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Someday I hope to see a Star Wars movie that accurately captures my fighting style, just endlessly dodge-rolling around the room to avoid attacks while occasionally sneaking in a couple hits when the badguy gets confused.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

I love watching no-damage runs, because even if you're great at the game, it still look like Cal's barely keeping up with his enemies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1CFNAv1c0M

The Malicos fight is a dance

I feel like the canonical version of this game is Cal just barely scraping by in any given fight, taking all sorts of hits and being kept going mostly by luck, :drugnerd:, and the Force. The period immediately after the game is probably Cal going through detox/withdrawal and Greez going "wait, I'm sorry, you used how many stims?" They take his pulse and his resting heart rate is like 170 and they can't figure out his blood type because at this point he is more drug than man. Dude's legs are probably broken in like eight different places; seriously, have you seen the animation for landing from a high fall? That poo poo has to hurt. Or it would, if Cal wasn't on enough :catdrugs: to kill a Wookie.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Personally whenever a guy hits me with a sword of pure energy I just shoot some meth straight into my fuckinn heart. Works ok so far

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
This game looks real pretty but is bad. Being wall locked and three-shotted by a boss on fuckin story mode kind of ruins any enjoyment to be had, y'know?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

How did that even happen, I'm the Worst Gamer and story mode was too easy for me. Like I had to *work* to get the health bar down, how did something three-shot you?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

There’s a dodge button that prevents that? I am still shoddy as hell at combat nearly back to dathomir now and still never die at a boss. It’s very forgiving.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I’m also very Bad At Video Games and had no problems at all in story mode.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah if I had any complaint about the game it was that it was too easy for the most part. You are basically a walking god with a ridiculous amount of I-Frames. If you're getting wrecked by someone on Story Mode I donno. Are you blocking/dodging?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I gave up on Sekiro about halfway because I don't have the patience to get good at games anymore, but I've been breezing through this on Jedi Master difficulty mostly. I lower it sometimes on fights I find annoying. There were a couple beast bosses I found super annoying and did them on Story. Story mode is dramatically easier than the next higher difficulty.

I am so glad this game has on the fly difficulty changing so I can just customize it as I see fit.

My only significant complaint is the lack of fast travel. Of all the things to not copy from Souls I thought for sure I was unlocking these meditation points so I could bounce around later.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Welp turns out I wasn't in story mode because you have to press shift to confirm the difficulty change. But still, not enjoying the combat. If this what Dark Souls was like, I'm glad I never played them. I'm also sick of looking at the main character's stupid ugly face.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Well, that's fair, if you don't like it a ways in it's probably not for you (Cal's face, but also the combat)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
This game is a chore to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm glad I'm not the only one