Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Riptor posted:

Nuclear Strike or one of its predecessors?

No, IIRC this one didn't have a story or any other enemies on the map than the opposing team(s), where every team had an identical base and the same three-vehicle setup. I vaguely remember there being some rock-paper-scissors mechanics to the gameplay as well where every vehicle was strong against one other but weaker against another. Like the tank could easily blow away the jeep, but was vulnerable to the chopper's missiles, and so on.

EDIT: Found it! It was Return Fire. Turns out it was actually four different playable vehicles.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Potrzebie posted:

PcLeague v2.1, a football (soccer) manager from 1994 made by Asle Rokstad.

It was released in full as freeware by the creator 2008 or so, but all I can find if the dumb shareware that has disabled the save function. The closest I've come is :filez: bundled up with 19k other DOS-games, but that's not what I want.

Couldn't you just only download the one file you want? It's pretty easy to tell your torrent client to only download certain files.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Bold Robot posted:

Couldn't you just only download the one file you want? It's pretty easy to tell your torrent client to only download certain files.

Also 0 seeders at some random .xyz-site...

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Maha posted:

I think this may have been from Cracked or another competitor to Mad Magazine, maybe from the 80s or 90s - a comedy article that listed world nationalities, complete with (deliberately) insanely offensive caricatures and stereotypes.

I feel like this might've been MAD itself, honestly, since I vaguely recall something like that from a really old (early 70s?) issue. I'll do some digging and see, unless you're sure it was a competitor.

Found it pretty much right after: Foreigners of the World by P.J. O'Rourke, published in a 1976 edition of National Lampoon. Warning that it is, indeed, insanely offensive.

symbolic fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 8, 2019

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

symbolic posted:

Warning that it is, indeed, insanely offensive.

Holy poo poo you are not kidding. Times were different and national lampoon was a little edgy but I don’t remember anything like that in there.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Comrade Koba posted:

No, IIRC this one didn't have a story or any other enemies on the map than the opposing team(s), where every team had an identical base and the same three-vehicle setup. I vaguely remember there being some rock-paper-scissors mechanics to the gameplay as well where every vehicle was strong against one other but weaker against another. Like the tank could easily blow away the jeep, but was vulnerable to the chopper's missiles, and so on.

EDIT: Found it! It was Return Fire. Turns out it was actually four different playable vehicles.

I literally told you that lmao

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Snowy posted:

Holy poo poo you are not kidding. Times were different and national lampoon was a little edgy but I don’t remember anything like that in there.

There's a good bit like that in the beginning of The Prauge Cemetery, where Simone Simonini just goes off about how disgusting every other culture on the continent is in comparison to his.

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

Moai Ou posted:

I've posted about this in other white whale & identify this song threads for nearly a decade now, and still, bupkis.

There's a song on my PC that I don't remember downloading:

BOA - money.mp3

Googling the lyrics doesn't come up with anything. Shazam doesn't recognize it. I've looked through every band on Discogs with the name "Boa" and none of them have a song called "Money" or even including the word money. I've asked countless people and nobody has ever heard it.

If anyone can actually find out who this is, what album it's from and where to buy it, I'll buy you a forums upgrade of your choice.

I feel like I've heard this late 90s-2000s high-voiced indie/alt-rock boy voice a million times, but I can't find examples. Closest thing I have in my library in terms of vocal intonation is The Parlor Mob, but the actual genre is different.

Maybe it would help if you could get someone to decipher the French-sounding chorus?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Suspect Bucket posted:

There's a good bit like that in the beginning of The Prauge Cemetery, where Simone Simonini just goes off about how disgusting every other culture on the continent is in comparison to his.

Yeah but that was a racist character in a novel that wasn’t racist. That national lampoon piece is like straight up white power propaganda.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tjadeth posted:

I feel like I've heard this late 90s-2000s high-voiced indie/alt-rock boy voice a million times, but I can't find examples. Closest thing I have in my library in terms of vocal intonation is The Parlor Mob, but the actual genre is different.

Maybe it would help if you could get someone to decipher the French-sounding chorus?

It doesn't help that the lyrics are super generic and his voice is super common sounding. It's a decent song, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was like a one off for a movie or something.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Tjadeth posted:

It sounds completely unintelligible to me.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Snowy posted:

Yeah but that was a racist character in a novel that wasn’t racist. That national lampoon piece is like straight up white power propaganda.

And The Prauge Cemetery was much more funny.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Love

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There's a book that's mostly empty pages but with some text in the middle or thereabouts, and the title is something like Arial Oblique or something, maybe a year as well.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Tjadeth posted:

I'm far from fluent in french, but it sounds kinda like "je n'ai tu tu as", which didn't really help anything in my google search. If I had to guess, I would assume this was some french-canadian band, but it does seem kinda odd that something from relatively recently and so well produced could be so elusive, even if it were just some sort of one off filler song from some obscure show/movie

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Moai Ou posted:

I've posted about this in other white whale & identify this song threads for nearly a decade now, and still, bupkis.

BOA - money.mp3

Googling the lyrics doesn't come up with anything. Shazam doesn't recognize it. I've looked through every band on Discogs with the name "Boa" and none of them have a song called "Money" or even including the word money. I've asked countless people and nobody has ever heard it.

If anyone can actually find out who this is, what album it's from and where to buy it, I'll buy you a forums upgrade of your choice.

Upload it to YouTube and if it's from any of the major labels you'll get a copyright claim on it within 24 hours that will tell you the song title and artist.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tip posted:

Upload it to YouTube and if it's from any of the major labels you'll get a copyright claim on it within 24 hours that will tell you the song title and artist.

And just ask in the comments if anyone knows who it is in case it doesn't. I'm starting to get oddly interested in figuring out who it is.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

This is not enough information to accomplish anything but you lot have had some amazing catches so here goes:

Back in 2002 I went and saw KoRn at Philips Arena. There was some music playing before the show (as venues do) and there was this one song I absolutely loved. This was pre-Shazam and no amount of Googling when I got home then up until today has given me any correct results.

I *think* the chorus lead in is "I'm the best, motherfucker," with the end of "motherfucker" really stretched out and growly. Fit in well with the generic early 2000s hard rock/industrial/nu-metal thing going on in the era.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
happine- someone did this one already? gently caress. ok.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Slightly Absurd posted:

I'm far from fluent in french, but it sounds kinda like "je n'ai tu tu as", which didn't really help anything in my google search. If I had to guess, I would assume this was some french-canadian band, but it does seem kinda odd that something from relatively recently and so well produced could be so elusive, even if it were just some sort of one off filler song from some obscure show/movie

I get the feeling it's from one of those really obscure artists that they feature on in-store music systems like Moodmedia. Back when I worked in retail we had such a system with some admittedly really catchy songs that i'd never heard before, and half the fun was googling the lyrics later to try to identify them. Most of them, I couldn't.

This really does sound an awful lot like the kind of thing our store used to play. Catchy, memorable, but unidentifiable. It's driving me crazy trying to find out, to be honest!

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Maybe a long shot but w/e here goes. Can anyone identify what song this is a midi of?

https://voca.ro/7jZH0648Bun

My only context for it is somebody using it as background music for a computer paper doll program when I was a kid. A lot of those tended to have pop songs or video game bgms play on loop (My Oh My by Aqua or At The Bottom Of Night from Chrono Trigger for example are ones I've been able to identify on my own), never could figure this one out though

Entirely possible it was just some royalty free poo poo that got passed around back in the day but hoping it has more of a backstory

For what it's worth the paper doll in question was a Sailor Moon character so it could've been a midi of some anime image song I'm not familiar with as well

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
If anyone doesn't know, there's a specific "help me identify a song" thread in NMD for all your music needs.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

membranoid posted:

A video with a Cyrillic title on youtube of a man leaving his house with an accordion and then getting on a train/subway and starts playing and dancing and then gets off and plays near a fountain and has random people dancing with him, I have no idea the nationality or location. Its a single song.

It's obviously Moscow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8zIfaNHiB0

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

There’s a song it’s very energetic and has lots of stings, no words, it’s like a cross between music that would be in a western and classical. I think a late season simpsons episode used it and it’s in a lot of media.

Somebody probably answered already but this is almost 100% Hoedown, from Rodeo composed by Aaron Copland.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

Moai Ou posted:

BOA - money.mp3

I wonder if it was a pre-loaded track from some audio program you have (or had) installed. That would explain why it sounds so professional but no one knows about it.

It's a pretty good song, too.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Somebody probably answered already but this is almost 100% Hoedown, from Rodeo composed by Aaron Copland.

I can't address this request specifically but a lot of thematic music that people don't recognize or can't name because it's such a fixture and is used so often is written by Leroy Anderson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAhVFGgnnk4

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Telemaze posted:

I wonder if it was a pre-loaded track from some audio program you have (or had) installed. That would explain why it sounds so professional but no one knows about it.

It's a pretty good song, too.

I wonder if the .mp3 file itself has any additional data, like the album name it came from or the release date. I'd imagine they probably already checked, but sometimes it's easy to overlook things that seem obvious.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I was driving through northern New Mexico about 12 years ago when I heard a cover of "Papito" by Manu Chao on the radio. That it was a cover of this song is all I was able to determine. It was in a completely different style from the original. It was sung by a woman who sounded almost exactly like the character Milla Vodello from Psychonauts.

I've had no luck tracking this down.

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

Blood Nightmaster posted:

Maybe a long shot but w/e here goes. Can anyone identify what song this is a midi of?

https://voca.ro/7jZH0648Bun

My only context for it is somebody using it as background music for a computer paper doll program when I was a kid. A lot of those tended to have pop songs or video game bgms play on loop (My Oh My by Aqua or At The Bottom Of Night from Chrono Trigger for example are ones I've been able to identify on my own), never could figure this one out though

Entirely possible it was just some royalty free poo poo that got passed around back in the day but hoping it has more of a backstory

For what it's worth the paper doll in question was a Sailor Moon character so it could've been a midi of some anime image song I'm not familiar with as well

I completely missed the bit about Sailor Moon the first time I read this, so I wasn’t sure at first, but it is definitely this song: https://youtu.be/Ow14J1WoaJ8

It is indeed an anime image song.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mummy Xzibit posted:

It was, I got them back on pg 6

Still good music, go listen to it if you're from the 90s and want to be reminded about beef

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I'm trying to find a puzzle book from the 80's or early 90's It was a short book with large pages, fully illustrated drawn with detailed lord of the rings style art, like this:

Very detailed line work and a quasi medieval motif.

It was 20-30 or so pages of wizard challenges. The story was minimal, the artwork was everything. You had full page puzzles to solve like picking which tap to shut off to stop a maze of pipes from flowing. The other puzzle I remember was a large double page spread of a Wizard/Magicians workshop where you had to find a ring. I never found that drat ring, so its a challenge within a challenge.

It is not "The Merlin Mystery" or "The Key to the Kingdom", nor is it anything else listed on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Puzzle_books

The cover was red or had a red border.

Find that book, then find the ring in that book and I can suffer a few less sleepless nights.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

A girlfriend

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
it's the holiday season, and a long rear end time ago, there was this AOL streaming radio that had christmas songs, and i forgot the name of the song, artist and album, but it was a pop-punk and it was just a cover of elvis' "if every day was like christmas"

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
my very own rear end

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

You want a white whale for a girlfriend?

Aim higher. Unless you are Jon Pop and can’t do any better.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Me and my friends used to call fat goth girls "orcas" because their pasty white arms hanging over their shiny black PVC dresses looked like eyespots. Ain't nothing wrong with wanting a white whale girlfriend. Some of them are super sweet and beautiful.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Solice Kirsk posted:

Me and my friends used to call fat goth girls "orcas" because their pasty white arms hanging over their shiny black PVC dresses looked like eyespots. Ain't nothing wrong with wanting a white whale girlfriend. Some of them are super sweet and beautiful.

Everybody knows sweet. We don’t have to agree on beautiful though.

Feb 2, 2005

shadow puppet of a posted:

I'm trying to find a puzzle book from the 80's or early 90's It was a short book with large pages, fully illustrated drawn with detailed lord of the rings style art, like this:

Very detailed line work and a quasi medieval motif.

It was 20-30 or so pages of wizard challenges. The story was minimal, the artwork was everything. You had full page puzzles to solve like picking which tap to shut off to stop a maze of pipes from flowing. The other puzzle I remember was a large double page spread of a Wizard/Magicians workshop where you had to find a ring. I never found that drat ring, so its a challenge within a challenge.

It is not "The Merlin Mystery" or "The Key to the Kingdom", nor is it anything else listed on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Puzzle_books

The cover was red or had a red border.

Find that book, then find the ring in that book and I can suffer a few less sleepless nights.

Maze by Christopher Manson?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Sadly no, none of the Christopher Mason books are it. Though the title for "Practical Alchemist" sounds exactly like what I'm looking for, sadly it is not it either.

oh poo poo, but you did lead me to it via Goodreads puzzle books list. Its "The Tasks of Tantalon"

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2571171-the-tasks-of-tantalon

Thanks!

Next I'll buy a copy and post that god drat find a ring puzzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

DerekSmartymans posted:

You want a white whale for a girlfriend?

Aim higher. Unless you are Jon Pop and can’t do any better.

slam whale holy grail