Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Bloodplay it again posted:

Is H3VR all right to play with Touch controllers now? I tried looking through Steam discussions (mainly because there's a stickied post for Rift and Touch users) and there seem to be a good amount of complaints regarding having to press the thumbsticks in while they're angled, which can eventually lead to deadzone issues and jacked controllers. The thing is, most of the complaints have dropped off over the past couple of months so it's possible new features were implemented to help with that. The stickied post regarding Touch controllers hasn't been edited in nearly a year though, and new controllers came out in March. I think my main concerns are thumbstick durability and whether the rings at the top of the controller are going to drastically and negatively impact enjoyment. Seems like they'd be a pain in the rear end with handguns, at least. Any second gen Touch users wanna chime in and ease my worried mind? :shobon:

I bought a Rift S secondhand a month ago and have been playing h3vr a lot. You still need to click in the joystick + angle it in a direction for certain gun features, but since I've only had the controllers for a few weeks, I can't say if I'm destroying my controllers yet or not. The rings at the top of the controller mostly don't get in the way, most handguns you can grip closer to the muzzle if you need to rack the slide, but a few of the smaller guns can be hard to manipulate. The one thing about the controllers I find hard to get used to is when I'm trying to grip a pistol with both hands, I'll sometimes hit the grip button on the off-hand controller and send the gun flying into my other hand. You can however just rest the hand holding the grip on top of your off hand and you'll still get the accuracy bonus so it's a minor issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

To The Top is a blast. Also Lone Echo's locomotion is one of the first times I've had a video game make me go "Oh holy shiiiit" in like 10 years

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Chin Strap posted:

Well I sprang for the Vibe DAS for my quest. Hope it was worth the :100bux:

Where'd you find one?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Chin Strap posted:

It is, just for the audio quality and volume upgrade. Adjusting the tightness of the strap is also a lot easier with the knob on the back than using two independent velcro straps.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Yeah the cables had worn apart at the connector. I only figured it out after seeing an orange light appear while holding the cable a certain way. it reminded me of lovely aux cables that have died on me where you'd have to bend the cable at a right angle at the jack for it to work. and the first cable I grabbed besides the vive ones was a thick rear end and crinkly one from like 5 years ago. time to spend some money on some decent micro usb cables. Because I deserve it

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm no Adobe fan (is anyone?) but I guess it isn't a random move. They saw medium more as a tool with potential in professional areas than it could be in the personal mainstream use, from a creative point they are leaning more in Quill, so I guess it's better to give it to Adobe so at least someone will support it, better than drop it altogether.
Between Oculus and Adobe it's clear which one is going to invest more money and engineers into a suite of professional tools for artists.

Medium seems to have had some traction in non-VR use cases for 3D authoring (games and otherwise), so it seems like a good fit. Allegorithmic's stuff is used by artists for a lot of 3D content authoring. Quill is fun but at best it's good for 3D storyboarding and sketches (it does have some professional users in that though, but it'll never help you make AAA models themselves).

Chin Strap posted:

Getting a lovely adapter can easily make the rest of it a waste. The first one I got didn't have clips at the front so it slid easily and made it impossible to actually use the drat thing. If you see a nice $15 adapter and a cheap-rear end $7 one, pay the money and save yourself some pain.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

TimWinter posted:

You mean eBay?

No, I mean facebook market place. My local one has people dumping 2070s and poo poo all over the place.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I really want x2.25 resolution (i.e. 50% each axis) to make Bigscreen viable for longer productive use. It's kinda fun, but not.

Yeah, I don't do that. Refunds probably reflect badly on some metrics regarding the dev. I don't even want to play it, just plain curiosity about doing a virtual ski jump.

When you make a refund, you can put the reason on why you refunded is that your computer doesn't meet the specs or whatever. That probably does not ding the maker.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

I really want x2.25 resolution (i.e. 50% each axis) to make Bigscreen viable for longer productive use. It's kinda fun, but not.

Yeah, I don't do that. Refunds probably reflect badly on some metrics regarding the dev. I don't even want to play it, just plain curiosity about doing a virtual ski jump.

So I want to speak for the handful of devs I know and have actually asked this specific question because I was really curious.

All of them have said they would rather you buy the game, try it, and REALLY not like it, and leave them feedback as to why, instead of never trying it. Most recent dev to have agreed with that logic was cloudhead. Makes sense. They'd rather you try a thing ya know?

Now mind you, Its not like I can speak for everyone, and unless they are leaving out some negative there, thats been the general answer. But anyone I've talked to specifically about it would rather people try stuff than ignore it.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

When you make a refund, you can put the reason on why you refunded is that your computer doesn't meet the specs or whatever. That probably does not ding the maker.

Arguably the game developer would benefit more from learning why people didn't find the game fun rather than focusing their energy on optimization problems that don't exist.

When they say that "When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure", this is kind of why. Is it really a kindness to the dev to lie about why you refunded?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Drizvolta posted:

I bought a Rift S secondhand a month ago and have been playing h3vr a lot. You still need to click in the joystick + angle it in a direction for certain gun features, but since I've only had the controllers for a few weeks, I can't say if I'm destroying my controllers yet or not. The rings at the top of the controller mostly don't get in the way, most handguns you can grip closer to the muzzle if you need to rack the slide, but a few of the smaller guns can be hard to manipulate. The one thing about the controllers I find hard to get used to is when I'm trying to grip a pistol with both hands, I'll sometimes hit the grip button on the off-hand controller and send the gun flying into my other hand. You can however just rest the hand holding the grip on top of your off hand and you'll still get the accuracy bonus so it's a minor issue.

Thanks for the tips. I picked it up last night and had a ton of fun with it despite cheking out only the sampler area. The lighter frustrated me until I realize you have to tilt it back before the flick works.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SirViver posted:

Dude, it's Steam. Buy it, try it for less than two hours, refund it if it made you puke.

Also a pleasant surprise - The Oculus store lets you refund stuff in a 2 hour window as well. I haven't tried it yet, not sure if it's an almost instant refund like Steam is but given the highly variable quality of VR stuff it made me take a lot more chances

Apparently they've started having sales too - I seem to have missed it but I'll wait to see if Christmas has one.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m just talking lowest common denominator. A 1060 is a lot cheaper than a 1660
Last I checked the 1060 was more expensive and slower. Looking at Amazon it looks like the stock of them is trailing off anyway, which makes sense.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I didn't have time to do much with my quest the first part of this weekend due to being busy, initial impression coming from PSVR made me feel like I was playing a more freeing version with somewhat better resolution, notably for any objects that aren't right in your face. Then this morning I tried Superhot VR's demo since I already have that on PSVR for comparison, and wow that was a huge deal! On PSVR I always felt like I was battling the camera and felt very limited in what I could do. On the Quest demo I was ducking and crawling and hiding behind cover and just having an amazing time. The whole thing of being able to turn around and walk around just feels so freeing and immersive. I still like my PSVR for certain specific things but the Quest is the best option for me for more active games. Since I don't have a beefy gaming PC, I'm glad such a nice option exists.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I tried yesterday some custom songs in Synth Rider. drat some are lazy as hell. How can you bother in creating a custom song for SR and not make even one 'line' to ride.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

jubjub64 posted:

I think I have the same router as you. Is yours setup as a wireless bridge? That is what I'm trying and even with me sitting next to it my connection is lousy. I'm using DD-WRT. Are you using the stock firmware?

I'm using the stock firmware, updated all the way. You might consider flashing back to it.

Wireless Bridge is totally wrong though, it is used for bridging two LAN together:

These are my settings:

Looking at this gives me an idea, I should temporarily disable WPA and switch to whitelisting MAC addresses, to see if the lack of encryption/decryption on both sides can improve the latency even further.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 8, 2019

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Chin Strap posted:

If you don't mind spending an extra $20, you can get some good adapters printed up for you from Thingiverse.

Also, watch this video on how to take off the normal headstrap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPsFPOYyR5Q

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

HycoCam posted:

My gaming rig is a i7-4790K @ 4GHz w/ 16GB using a 1060 w/ 3GB. Will install FPSVR tonight to try to figure out what is going on. I can wear the PSVR for extended times. No problems running Pike's Peak and the like in DiRT with the PSVR HMD. I wear glasses to correct astigmatism and weaker right eye. My IPD is 67.5mm. When I put on an HMD, I don't wear glasses and typically haven't needed them.

Got the Rift S installed along with Project Cars and the G29 wheel. Things did not go well. The first lap I think I had wheel configuration issues--every turn I expected to turn but wound up in the wall. Got the wheel behaving a little better, but by the third lap the HMD had to come off. Not sure if it is a frames issue or a controller doing different things than the brain expects, or maybe a vision issue? But got way more nauseous than I have in a PSVR.

NRVNQSR posted:

For whatever reason everyone I've talked to has always seemed to have a lot more trouble with nausea in PCars than in other, similar experiences. I don't know if that's some problem with their code or whether it's just that most people are very familiar with how driving a car feels, so the different forces in a relatively realistic driving game are obviously wrong to them.

Watching a movie in VR should be one of the lowest-impact options, but that said 3D movies are garbage and VR doesn't really fix that. It might be worth trying a 2D movie just to establish a baseline of how that feels.

The Oculus/Steam UI clashes are just something you have to deal with when playing SteamVR titles on an Oculus headset, unfortunately. For the most part, though, you can just turn most or all of the SteamVR stuff off in its settings and just use the Oculus guardian and home environment.

PCars just has a ton of visual settings that you have to turn off because the game wasn't built for VR initially. If you're a PC gamer though that should be extremely obvious to you?

I've spent hours racing in PCars 1 and 2 in VR without any issues. It just runs worse if you leave lots of high settings on.

Low frame rate in VR = you feel sick. period. That's extremely basic poo poo. Everybody ITT should know that by now and you should always be checking your frame rates in VR until you know a game is configured right.

The only game I've played that always made me feel sick was PSVR Driveclub. PCars is fine.

rage-saq posted:

Project cars 1/2 are super demanding for performance, and a 4790k is getting pretty under spec for anything approaching demanding for VR, same with a 1060.

This, you really need to put every single setting on LOW or OFF if you wanna play PCars 2 in VR, especially on that hardware.

Don't worry though the game still looks loving amazing in VR even at LOW/OFF settings. You don't need poo poo like lens flares and dirt grime in VR, and in fact they're actually a little awkward in VR.

Shine posted:

Excellent! I use different refresh rates for various games (flight sims universally run like poo poo, so I go lower there), but having to restart SteamVR was annoying. Hopefully the next step is allowing automatic refresh rate profiles per game. I'll bet a 3rd party tool will add that, if nothing else.

Yeah we already have resolution profiles per game so that's the next thing I was wanting.

I gotta run 90hz for like PCars 2 or Elite Dangerous but I can easily do 120-144 for Beat Saber or Pistol Whip

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 9, 2019

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Nalin posted:

If you don't mind spending an extra $20, you can get some good adapters printed up for you from Thingiverse.

Also, watch this video on how to take off the normal headstrap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPsFPOYyR5Q

Got these https://www.etsy.com/listing/704470746/oculus-quest-vive-das-adapter-for?ref=yr_purchases

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
For years, I've not worried too much about frame rates. Yeah, some gameplay might bog down--but I'm seeing how much that matters now! Seems like it has been a decade or more since I worried about shutting down everything that is running to optimize performance. Stellaris and Nox just kind of stay running.

Played DiRT last night with a xbox controller with everything on low--way, way better experience. Tonight I'll battle with PCars2 a bit more--lot of setting to get into.

The advice in the thread is very much appreciated. Thanks.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I have the ultimate in disorienting vr experiences.

You take a bluetooth rubiks cube and use virtual desktop to view it, the input delay between feeling yourself turn the cube and seeing it turn could drive someone mad.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hadlock posted:

Waiting for micro usb to die finally. I'm honestly really surprised the vive wands use micro usb in the year of our lord 2019, that connector was already on the way out in 2016
This is the same product that uses an explicitly-banned-by-the-spec USB-A male to A male cable on the headset, twice. We apparently just need to be glad the controller team picked an appropriate connector, if not the best choice.

I wish the USB-IF would grow a pair and hard deprecate the Micro connector such that no new designs would be allowed to use it and still be certified unless they had a very specific need to retain physical compatibility with a docking station or similar.

Unfortunately they've instead gone the other direction and entirely bent over for the marketing fucksticks with their "USB 3.2 Gen1" (aka USB 3.0 with a different name) bullshit.

EbolaIvory posted:

No, I mean facebook market place. My local one has people dumping 2070s and poo poo all over the place.
Lucky you, apparently. My local marketplace (Cleveland/Akron area) has three total 2070s being sold within 100 miles, none of which are supers, and a dozen or so more results where someone's selling a whole PC with a 2070 or just spammed keywords in their listing for a 1060.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Those are the ones I got. From the same seller too.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

EbolaIvory posted:

All of them have said they would rather you buy the game, try it, and REALLY not like it, and leave them feedback as to why, instead of never trying it. Most recent dev to have agreed with that logic was cloudhead. Makes sense. They'd rather you try a thing ya know?
Personally, I think that ski jumping is a stupid boring sport. I wouldn't even want to play it because of that. I'm only interested in checking out the effect of the disconnect between eye and inner ear. Since some people complain that even the slightest uncommanded motions make them queasy, god knows what a virtual ski jump would do.

But still, I'm not loving with someone's stats just because.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

Personally, I think that ski jumping is a stupid boring sport. I wouldn't even want to play it because of that. I'm only interested in checking out the effect of the disconnect between eye and inner ear. Since some people complain that even the slightest uncommanded motions make them queasy, god knows what a virtual ski jump would do.

But still, I'm not loving with someone's stats just because.

Thats fair. Totally.

Then again, Maybe you'll end up going "Woah this is really cool", and keeping it to demo to people. (assuming you demo your VR ever)

Its like richies plank, I own it because it demos well. I dicked with it like, once. fwiw i'm def not trying to get you to buy the thing, but I pull the trigger on random VR stuff all the time (well used to before viveport stuff) and its pretty worth it most the time. Even just for the giggles short term.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jack Trades posted:

Is there a VR game that does fast mecha combat kind of like Zone of the Enders or something like that?
Cause I played ZoE 2 in VR and it was pretty amazing other than it being a port instead of a proper VR game.

So I've also been wondering this and wanting some more mech VR pretty bad.

Looks like there's this:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/334540/Vox_Machinae/

Haven't played it, Early Access, but looks pretty promising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5Qt1KE5Kd0

Also, Mechwarrior 5 is just about to come out, and while there's no official VR support, apparently the devs have said on twitter that the game was initially designed for VR, so it seems likely they'll patch it in at some point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz8Y1V8gy1A

That would be pretty much perfect I think

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

HycoCam posted:

For years, I've not worried too much about frame rates. Yeah, some gameplay might bog down--but I'm seeing how much that matters now! Seems like it has been a decade or more since I worried about shutting down everything that is running to optimize performance. Stellaris and Nox just kind of stay running.

Played DiRT last night with a xbox controller with everything on low--way, way better experience. Tonight I'll battle with PCars2 a bit more--lot of setting to get into.

The advice in the thread is very much appreciated. Thanks.

Yeah I can see how it could be easy to overlook if you're new to VR, but definitely something to be thinking about now.

Games like Pistol Whip and Beat Saber and Battlezone that were designed for VR and/or are indie tend to have very simple graphics already, because its designed for VR and even the beefiest rig can't do state of the art graphics and render VR at the same time, but like I said before, when you're in VR everything is already so compelling because of the 3D depth, you don't need the same level of detail you want in flat-screen games. So those games should "just work" out of the box and not need much tweaking. In fact they mostly don't even have graphical options.

But the thing is games like PCars which were designed for flatscreen DO actually have all those fancy graphical bells and whistles that you never want or need in VR. So yeah, you gotta go through and manually switch all that stuff off. I'm pretty sure that if you launch in VR mode it automatically sets the resolution and refresh rate, but I think you gotta manually change the other graphics settings.

One thing that PCars does that is great and better than most VR-adapted games is that it saves your VR configuration separate from your flatscreen configuration. So if you do play it both ways, you can set it to OFF/LOW for everything in VR, and when you boot it up in flatscreen it'll automatically switch back to MED/HIGH settings or whatever you usually game at.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 9, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

A Forza Horizon with VR support would be loving awesome. Random cruising around > Hotlapping.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

A Forza Horizon with VR support would be loving awesome. Random cruising around > Hotlapping.

Yeah, I really want an open world VR game. Something like Need for speed underground but in VR would be loving amazing.

You can mod Euro Truck Sim to have custom cars but they're extremely janky.

What I really really want somebody to do is making an open world driving sim that uses Google Maps data so you can race in real-world streets. Like how Microsoft Flight Simulator is now doing.

A Cannonball Run game where you drive from California to New York trying to avoid police would be loving amazing. You could probably turn that into a 1-vs-100 battle royale game too...

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Vox is neat, but doesn't very well capture the feel of the size of the bots. The ground feels very close to you, then though you're supposed to be 100ft tall or something. It needs more ground objects to really sell the size.

The game is also PVP focused, meaning it's sparsely populated and its content is very barebones. Early access VR in a nutshell.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

What I really really want somebody to do is making an open world driving sim that uses Google Maps data so you can race in real-world streets. Like how Microsoft Flight Simulator is now doing.
Flightsim gets away with it because you're up in the sky at a distance. And I think most demos shown were areas where they had proper photogrammetry data to begin with. AI generated geometry from 2D data will probably look noticeably worse (at least up close).

I think it'll be harder to generate proper ground level geometry. More so inner city areas than rural ones. However, yeah, road geometry derived from actual geographical data would be nice. TDU2 worked pretty nicely, because it was for the most part 1:1 Ibiza and also Hawaii (updated from TDU1). It felt markedly different from other open world racing games, including FH3 IMO. I'm not sure why that is, maybe because road planning felt more plausible, or whatever.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shine posted:

Vox is neat, but doesn't very well capture the feel of the size of the bots. The ground feels very close to you, then though you're supposed to be 100ft tall or something. It needs more ground objects to really sell the size.

The game is also PVP focused, meaning it's sparsely populated and its content is very barebones. Early access VR in a nutshell.

Ahh, figures, but bummer. Maybe they'll work on single player content as it finishes early access? PVP-only is pretty tough for VR games.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Flightsim gets away with it because you're up in the sky at a distance. And I think most demos shown were areas where they had proper photogrammetry data to begin with. AI generated geometry from 2D data will probably look noticeably worse (at least up close).

I think it'll be harder to generate proper ground level geometry. More so inner city areas than rural ones. However, yeah, road geometry derived from actual geographical data would be nice. TDU2 worked pretty nicely, because it was for the most part 1:1 Ibiza and also Hawaii (updated from TDU1). It felt markedly different from other open world racing games, including FH3 IMO. I'm not sure why that is, maybe because road planning felt more plausible, or whatever.

It doesn't have to be exact though. Google maps data is pretty drat accurate for roads because it has to be to give directions. That's all that matters from a gameplay standpoint. I don't mind if there's a funky looking building where my house should be, as long as I can actually drift a car around Home Street into Neighborhood Lane and its all the proper angles from real life.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

How's Elite: Dangerous? I would like to fly around in space but it looks like there's a lot of weird special editions, etc, and that's got me a little confused. Is this good VR stuff?

Edit: vvv Thanks guys!

Chinook fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 9, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Chinook posted:

How's Elite: Dangerous? I would like to fly around in space but it looks like there's a lot of weird special editions, etc, and that's got me a little confused. Is this good VR stuff?

Elite is a mixed bag. Its a pretty great space simulator, but not the best game. I think in flatscreen its kinda boring but in VR its pretty drat compelling.

There's a good mix of things you can do:

Space-trucking is pretty fun in VR, just warping around from system to system, docking with a space station or landing on a planet, delivering some goods, picking up new ones, and charting a new warp path to go deliver those goods. Very chill, you can throw on a podcast and just toot around, but also pretty fun because flying a spaceship in VR and just docking inside a massive spaceship is REALLY compelling.

Combat is alright, I'd say its not quite XWING/TIE levels of fun but it works alright, and again, in VR its pretty drat compelling.

"Exploration" is a kinda weird thing that appeals to some and not at all to most, where you try to fly out to the edges of charted space.

I haven't done Mining yet but it seems like they've put some decent work into making it a deep game mode. Still, its space mining. So its space trucking but sometimes you blast some rocks. Again, fun in VR with a podcast playing, probably not the most fun in flatscreen hour after hour unless you really like farm sim kinda stuff.

The best thing about Elite is its constantly updating itself with new content.

You get to actually fly your ships in first person which makes it way better than EVE Online for me, but its overall... IDK, not the most fun game ever. But VR makes it pretty loving wild. Goons have a real big guild called Space Frogs you can join up with and fly around blasting dudes or whatever.

TLDR: Pretty good VR stuff, will need to turn settings way down unless your rig is super beefy but that's okay.

If you haven't already, try playing WarThunder in VR, as its entirely free to play. Not exactly the same as Elite by a longshot but also gives you some dogfighting in VR. If you like that you'll probably like Elite too. Although there's no space trucking in WarThunder (but then there is Euro Truck Sim lol)

Elite Dangerous is the base game, and Horizons is the expansion that gives you access to like, landing on planets and driving around and stuff. You can get a good amount of content out of just Elite but if you're serious about playing Elite you'll probably want to get both of them. AFAIK that's all there is to worry about, the rest of the bundles just include microtransaction crap you don't really need.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 9, 2019

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
They did a major update to add a proper compstomp mode, so that's a step in the right direction.

I appreciate that they're adding HOTAS support, but so far it only works with specific setups, so my obscure stick doesn't work :argh:. The VR hand controls are fine, but it'd be neat to sit in my cockpit and play giant robot fuckface game.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Is any game making use of eye tracking? A quick search shows there's a Unity plugin for eye-tracking foveated rendering, but I'm not sure if it will actually make a difference in any game.

The Neos VR game seems to make use of eye tracking but it might be the only one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STZN6qTGRbQ

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ShadowHawk posted:

Is any game making use of eye tracking? A quick search shows there's a Unity plugin for eye-tracking foveated rendering, but I'm not sure if it will actually make a difference in any game.

The Neos VR game seems to make use of eye tracking but it might be the only one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STZN6qTGRbQ

Lol, no. Nothing except the Vive Pro Eye has the hardware for it right now.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

ShadowHawk posted:

Is any game making use of eye tracking?
There's barely any hardware that's doing it. The Vive Pro Eye, and I think that's about it.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Zaphod42 posted:

A Cannonball Run game where you drive from California to New York trying to avoid police would be loving amazing. You could probably turn that into a 1-vs-100 battle royale game too...

I've had that idea for a couple years now, a cannonball run battle royale racing game, with tons of different routes, shortcuts, and back roads, so its not the same every time and an incentive for it to not just be 100 people on one road until the race is over, next to each other.

Really seems like it would be fun, and being a driving game it can easily accommodate VR and non VR for a larger player base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
A crime scene investigation game in vr would be cool. Relatively small, contained environments for the player to poke and prod at for clues.

Holy poo poo, just do "Ace Attorney: VR". Now with immersive objection-action!