Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What were they even assholes about? How do you gently caress up calling a cab, getting on it, chatting if you're in the mood, getting off it, thanking your driver and paying?

Friends, have you ever encountered Humans? Many of them suck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What were they even assholes about? How do you gently caress up calling a cab, getting on it, chatting if you're in the mood, getting off it, thanking your driver and paying?
People are super racist to cabbies in a way that beggars belief.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SardonicTyrant posted:

People are super racist to cabbies in a way that beggars belief.

Yikes!

In other news, this is somewhat tech related, right?

https://twitter.com/SF_emergency/status/1201915154935336960

loving SF is shutting down their emergency system for two years for upgrades. You'd think they'd have access to a single competent IT outfit.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Why are warning sirens even on wifi? Why not... just use the old wired systems that were in place for decades? You can't tell me that it's cheaper than just paying some city worker to press a wired button and speaking over a microphone if they absolutely need to have voice.

Jesus, that FAQ. They say it's going to take 2 years because they need to test everything. But why... not leave the old system on until you test the new one and deploy it? Did they get nailed with some ransomware and the entire system is offline?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Why are warning sirens even on wifi? Why not... just use the old wired systems that were in place for decades? You can't tell me that it's cheaper than just paying some city worker to press a wired button and speaking over a microphone if they absolutely need to have voice.

Jesus, that FAQ. They say it's going to take 2 years because they need to test everything. But why... not leave the old system on until you test the new one and deploy it? Did they get nailed with some ransomware and the entire system is offline?

Do you think they're taking the old system down that long for fun? Do you think they just decided to take it down without looking at alternatives, or consulting engineers?

Big emergency systems like this don't get taken offline without a huge amount of scrutiny from multiple oversight agencies. I don't know why they would need to take the whole system down to replace it, but I can imagine some possibilities. Systems this old usually have garbage documentation if there are even any record drawings at all. There can be major space limitations, where the only place to put a new headend is in the location of the existing. It's often much more expensive to try to piece meal the replacement than to just start from scratch.

It's possible that the people in charge of this are tremendous idiots, or it's also possible that assuming they are is the same sort of "disruptive" hubris that provides the bulk of the material for this thread's mockery.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Given the national pastime of America is to neglect and destroy vital public infrastructure to put in alternatives that exist primarily to line the pockets of the rich...

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Given the national pastime of America is to neglect and destroy vital public infrastructure to put in alternatives that exist primarily to line the pockets of the rich...

So we should not trust infrastructure upgrade projects because they are actually a secret plot to destroy public infrastructure?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, people should never question how governments go about things. We should trust in the system, because it would never do something stupid. Or harmful. Or dangerous.

Two years of not having sirens in a city that can be hit by earthquakes isn't responsible. It's obvious that the system works now, or they'd have said "System broke and we can't use it anymore, so it'll take time to replace." not "We're going to bring it down to replace in 2 years."

This isn't a secret plot to destroy public infrastructure, this is just the city of san francisco being dumb. It's not like they couldn't actually explain the reasons for the 2 year downtime, file development plans, or any number of things to abate people's concern over it. No, that'd make too much sense. Just blindly trust city hall!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Organizing the world’s information

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Papercut posted:

So we should not trust infrastructure upgrade projects because they are actually a secret plot to destroy public infrastructureline politicians' pockets?

Have you ever been to Latin America my friend?

Or Britain for that matter, now I think about the Boris Bridge

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Dec 7, 2019

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

not like san francisco has a recent history of totally loving up infrastructure projects. the van ness brt, transbay transit center, central subway, and muni signal upgrade projects have all completed on time and on budget, yup.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Platystemon posted:

Fair and balanced

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Sagacity posted:

Fair and balanced

Is it possible the google robots put it that way because it knows it angers you and drives engagement?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is it possible the google robots put it that way because it knows it angers you and drives engagement?

I've wondered a few times if when I tell the Google now feed on my Android to stop showing articles from Fox News or somewhere similar, if it's not collecting that information and weaponizing it against me for later driving hate-boner engagement on other services. But then I stopped wondering because it's obviously true

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Usually by being extremely drunk and looking like you're about to puke yourself or worse.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Papercut posted:

Do you think they're taking the old system down that long for fun? Do you think they just decided to take it down without looking at alternatives, or consulting engineers?

Big emergency systems like this don't get taken offline without a huge amount of scrutiny from multiple oversight agencies. I don't know why they would need to take the whole system down to replace it, but I can imagine some possibilities. Systems this old usually have garbage documentation if there are even any record drawings at all. There can be major space limitations, where the only place to put a new headend is in the location of the existing. It's often much more expensive to try to piece meal the replacement than to just start from scratch.

It's possible that the people in charge of this are tremendous idiots, or it's also possible that assuming they are is the same sort of "disruptive" hubris that provides the bulk of the material for this thread's mockery.

Well they are apparently taking it offline before they even have funding to do the upgrades and those upgrades include buying new hardware that needs installed. It doesn't seem reasonable to take the system offline to upgrade it before they even have the funds to do the upgrade. They don't mention any actual issues that would warrant it either. If there were a huge vulnerability they could at least say that...but instead the only rationale they give is that it is "antiquated". That alone is a piss poor reason to take a critical system offline.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Cicero posted:

How the gently caress would Craigslist fight fraud without fundamentally changing everything about their business? Were newspapers also responsible for fraudulent classifieds? Hell, they took money for those and they still didn't verify jack poo poo, so they're even worse than Craigslist!

Some goons are just really stupid about their expectations for a free service.

CL actually started charging to post automotive ads because of this.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Raldikuk posted:

Well they are apparently taking it offline before they even have funding to do the upgrades and those upgrades include buying new hardware that needs installed. It doesn't seem reasonable to take the system offline to upgrade it before they even have the funds to do the upgrade. They don't mention any actual issues that would warrant it either. If there were a huge vulnerability they could at least say that...but instead the only rationale they give is that it is "antiquated". That alone is a piss poor reason to take a critical system offline.

Other sources have more reporting on that, it sounds like it's because of software vulnerabilities similar to what allowed hackers to hijack Dallas' system recently.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Sounds like the usual deal where any infrastructure in the country is crumbling. This time, an emergency notification system.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Raldikuk posted:

Their website lists multiple other methods of warning residents, including texting services and radio. The disaster types listed are contaminated water, radiological attacks, and tsunamis - I'm betting the last one is the only thing that could possibly strike residents unaware where a loudspeaker system would have real use and there are multiple other solutions available for that.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Papercut posted:

Other sources have more reporting on that, it sounds like it's because of software vulnerabilities similar to what allowed hackers to hijack Dallas' system recently.

You mean the one in 2017 that the city fixed in a few days by adding ecryption to its radio trigger? Also that wasn't even a software vulnerability in Dallas because the system didn't use software. Its a radio triggered system, its just not usual secured because hijacking is relativly rare.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Platystemon posted:

Presumably it knows you're not a libertarian since it didn't show articles about age of consent instead so that's a plus.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Zachack posted:

Their website lists multiple other methods of warning residents, including texting services and radio. The disaster types listed are contaminated water, radiological attacks, and tsunamis - I'm betting the last one is the only thing that could possibly strike residents unaware where a loudspeaker system would have real use and there are multiple other solutions available for that.

Oh, I guess they don't need the warning system at all! Why are they replacing it then?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Do people with out charged phones or emergency radios really deserve to be warned of earth quakes? I mean, its not like that city has a large class of people woth limited access to goods and housing that might be saved by a traditional warning system.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol @ anyone who didn’t disable emergency alerts after the first alert to look for a kidnapper’s vehicle in your own bedroom at three o’clock.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Do people with out charged phones or emergency radios really deserve to be warned of earth quakes? I mean, its not like that city has a large class of people woth limited access to goods and housing that might be saved by a traditional warning system.

the emergency warning system is simultaneously important enough to spend a couple years and millions of dollars upgrading but not important enough that it can't be taken out of commission for that time.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
Tech startup robs investors, customers

https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/7/21000094/unicorn-electric-scooter-shut-down-refund-tile

quote:

Unicorn, the electric scooter startup from the co-creator of gadget tracker Tile, is shutting down operations after blowing all its cash on Facebook and Google ads but only receiving 350 orders for its glossy white e-scooters, it claims. In an email to customers, the company says it lacks the resources to deliver any of its $699 two-wheelers, and won’t be issuing refunds “as we are completely out of funding.”

The cost to refund customers? $700 x 350 = $245,000

quote:

A large portion of the revenue went toward paying for Facebook ads to bring traffic to the site. A portion also went to our manufacturer in the form of a down payment to build the scooters, but unfortunately that down payment cannot be redeemed for a portion of the scooters that we were planning to order.

Unfortunately, the cost of the ads were just too expensive to build a sustainable business.

“We are so, so very sorry,” he concludes.

Millionaire CEO Nick Evans: “oops sowwy I wobbed u of half a grand uwu”

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

quote:

Unfortunately, the cost of the ads were just too expensive to build a sustainable business. And as the weather continued to get colder throughout the US and more scooters from other companies came on to the market, it became harder and harder to sell Unicorns, leading to a higher cost for ads and fewer customers.

To be fair, no one could have predicted that it would get colder during the winter. That's just awful luck, and if only they had more VC funding, they could have gotten over this unexpected difficulty and they would have taken off once this unexpected phenomenon passes in a few weeks.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Kirk posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/7/21000094/unicorn-electric-scooter-shut-down-refund-tile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFqFLo_bYq0&t=15s

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Konstantin posted:

To be fair, no one could have predicted that it would get colder during the winter. That's just awful luck, and if only they had more VC funding, they could have gotten over this unexpected difficulty and they would have taken off once this unexpected phenomenon passes in a few weeks.

You missed the part where they didn't predict that competition would exist

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kirk posted:

lmao they actually called it Unicorn c'mon.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I'm guessing the people without homes will be on the street where the screams of phone havers will let them know that a major earthquake is about to hit in a few seconds, which is likely far faster than a loudspeaker system or radio.

https://www.shakealert.org/faq/

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Groovelord Neato posted:

lmao they actually called it Unicorn c'mon.

Give them some credit, "Fraud Guarantee" was already taken.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Let them die, and decrease the surplus population.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Let them die, and decrease the surplus population.
Yes, kill all the poors, that way our world will be filled with nothing butwhgqhgibearbgqekbipjkqe bj] r1

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES
An Electric Scooter based Ponzi Scheme!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

(That was a quote from Mr. Scrooge in A Christmas Carol. I thought people would recognize it.)
The SF Chron has a great overview on Lessons From The Unicorn Class of 2019. I liked this insight:

quote:

Historically, companies went public at a much younger age. “Typically, companies in the venture-backed world — like Palo Alto Networks, ServiceNow, Workday — they raised less than $100 million before going public. Everyone was very handsomely rewarded on the IPO and for many years after,” Horowitz said.

In 2016, however, a provision of the federal Jobs Act let companies have up to 2,000 shareholders of record before they had to register their securities and make their financial statements public. The previous limit was 500. One shareholder of record could represent many individual investors.

The reasoning was that “more people would have access to these wonderful deals,” Horowitz said.

That change, combined with an enormous influx of capital into private companies, fueled the growth of unicorns and “decacorns,” private companies worth $10 billion and up.

Smith believes the Jobs Act hurt companies by letting them grow without the same public and regulatory scrutiny that public companies get. “As a policy, we should not have large non-transparent companies that don’t have good governance, are able to get around regulations and are not accountable,” she said. “If these companies were public, they would be a lot more cautious.”

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/NYCEMSwatch/status/1203772902140731395

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hey, Elon! Somebody replaced the training set with Straight Outta Compton again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

Tesla is... good?