Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

I mean, just a few years ago there was the hype with "cloud physics" and Crackdown 3 revolutionizing gaming.

Now there's the hype with cloud gaming (Google Stadia). Complete dogshit imo, but hey, Google, find it out on your own dime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
there are some games out there where the physics are an integral part of the game, and improvements in physics would improve the game directly (to a point) - kerbal space program comes to mind, maybe gmod. but these tend to be few and far between, and don't have aaa game budgets for physics r&d

Thermopyle posted:

then why have graphics seen a lot of advancement?

easy selling point. obviously very visual, easy to market in magazines and trailers and such

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

I wasn't saying that they would.

I'm saying:

If his complaint is that there doesn't seem to be much advancement in physics engines...

and your reason is that physics engines don't make games more fun...

and graphics purportedly also do not make games more fun...

(as an aside, gameplay > graphics, but gameplay + graphics can be > gameplay alone)

one answer to that is that we *do* have advancement in physics engines -- soft-body dynamics are now doable real-time, as well as elastic materials. disney spent a lot of time modelling snow clumping physics systems for frozen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0kyDKu8K-k

this is novel stuff. physics engines are a lot more stable, they can be networked with incredible stability and precision, and the modelling tools are much better now. cloth and ragdolls are now a core feature of games when they weren't 10 years ago.

but the point is that there's no improvement where jon's looking, because what he wants to see is physics getting better in a way that impacts gameplay, and he's not going to find that, because as a core concept, a better physics engine does not magically improve gameplay.

Suspicious Dish fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 7, 2019

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

quote:

Here's an example: remember those huge rotating gears in one of the early shareware levels of Duke Nukem 3D? Imagine if a general physics engine was controlling them instead of an animation loop. Suddenly the gears become more than just eye candy as one comes off its axle and rolls down the hall after you, Indiana-Jones style. Or imagine shooting a gear with a missile, causing it to roll down the hall and crush your friend who was about to frag you from behind! A real physics engine makes situations like these possible.

This is from Chris Hecker, who wrote the timeless series that Havok based their research code off of. He also made incredible contributions to the character animation system in Spore, giving predictable weight and heft to player-designed procedural characters.

He's put in the time and the effort and the research. But I think we can all look back at that first quote and laugh at how naive it was. The real world is not designed to make the most interesting spectacle happen, always. Games are.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

boo_radley posted:

Also, I knew Shift-JIS was a land of contrasts, but holy poo poo

What are we supposed to get out of this tiny rear end picture of a graph

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Hammerite posted:

What are we supposed to get out of this tiny rear end picture of a graph

eyestrain

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Thermopyle posted:

Graphics are a way to both multiply the fun, and a very intuitive way to grasp the production value of a game, compared to "fun" which requires actual gameplay to understand. If the game is fun but looks like dogshit, you need a critical mass of people playing it to actually stand a chance, while you can toss a AAA-looking turd out there and get some takers just on looks alone. There's an implied correlation between production value and time spent on gameplay, which isn't necessarily accurate, but tends to get used as a simple proxy anyway.

As far as multiplying the fun, high production values can affect immersion, which does a phenomenal job of making you want to continue playing. My best example for this is Elite: Dangerous. The gameplay itself eventually turned out to be shallow and repetitive, but the game FELT so good to play that I didn't care for far longer than I should have. Part of that was the graphics; it LOOKED really cool zooming around in your spaceship.

Smuggling was one of the play styles in E:D, that involved going 5km out from the entrance to the rotating station (think 2001's Blue Danube scene), matching your orientation and rotation, firing your thrusters to max speed, then turning every system off and coasting. Turning off the systems wasn't just pressing a button, it was turning to the holigraphic menu to the side and tapping things off one by one. In addition to details about the stations, the ship traffic, etc as you came closer, you had ice crystals begin to form on your ship from the heat generating aspects being shut down. Once you passed the threshold (or as shortly before as you dared) you had to race to power up your thrusters, radiator, etc and turn and burn yourself to a stop before you smashed into the gorgeously decorated interior, then settle onto a raised landing pad to drop your cargo.

All of this is easily doable via 1990s era 3D polygons, but if you tried selling someone on that today they'd just laugh at you. It's the exact same gameplay, but the immersion is ruined because the bar has risen so far over the last two decades that what was acceptable for Lucasarts's critically acclaimed Tie Fighter isn't acceptable today. You'd simply never be able to internalize the same way that the flat polyhedra floating around represented spaceships or space stations. If the ice forming on your cockpit appeared all at once as a texture swap and a crackling sound, it would feel foolish today (although it would be a state of the art detail in the 90s!) The ship controls being a holographic menu intuitively FEELS better than a flat panel which would have been the way to go then. And so on, and so on, and so on.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Thermopyle posted:

To sell hardware?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I found the original

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_JIS#/media/File:JIS_and_Shift-JIS_variants.svg

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

It's JS, just select all the squares

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!
I was gonna say just pick all except R3C1

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Kilson posted:

I was gonna say just pick all except R3C1
I said the same thing to somebody but they pointed out that box has a missing semicolon. Check 'em all.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

e: nm

Jewel fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 8, 2019

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

Dylan16807 posted:

I said the same thing to somebody but they pointed out that box has a missing semicolon. Check 'em all.

Isn't a semicolon optional in JS?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
That code seems to be pretty-printed output of a minimizer. The semicolons are only in places where they're needed to parse correctly on one line

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It actually looks more like JS-form WebASM, which I think is what Mozilla first built a runtime for.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Not enough |0 around for that, I think?

Kilson posted:

Yes, but the specifics are something of a horror.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Doesn’t JS still technically always need semicolons, it’s just that the engines will automatically insert them for you?

(And won’t always insert them correctly?)

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

tankadillo posted:

Doesn’t JS still technically always need semicolons, it’s just that the engines will automatically insert them for you?

IIUC, the optional semicolon behavior has a standard now, but it was specifically designed to be backwards compatible with existing warts, so it's still a clusterfuck.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Kilson posted:

Yeah but they have semicolons on every line that isn't the last in a block. it's horrible style.

And semicolons at the end of function declarations, which is a bit weird.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

The Sleep call() is synchronous and if it internally uses a locking primitive that depends on the thread id it may cause a deadlock - you should review the code of Sleep() to make sure it's async safe just to be sure. /s

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Dylan16807 posted:

Yeah but they have semicolons on every line that isn't the last in a block. it's horrible style.

And semicolons at the end of function declarations, which is a bit weird.

"Semicolons on every line except the last in a block" is actually the official style in the Rust language

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

"Semicolons on every line except the last in a block" is actually the official style in the Rust language

That's how Pascal used to do it, too.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

In rust semicolons separate statements rather than end statements. It's much like how commas work in most languages.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Plorkyeran posted:

In rust semicolons separate statements rather than end statements. It's much like how commas work in most languages.

Okay, that's definitely Pascal.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

redleader posted:

there are some games out there where the physics are an integral part of the game, and improvements in physics would improve the game directly (to a point) - kerbal space program comes to mind, maybe gmod. but these tend to be few and far between, and don't have aaa game budgets for physics r&d

Red Faction: Guerrilla, too

canis minor
May 4, 2011

tankadillo posted:

Yes - https://flaviocopes.com/javascript-automatic-semicolon-insertion/.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

When the interpreter gets confused you know you dun' goofed. Knowing all this, as per the article, why would anyone not just put the semicolons where needed, it's mind-boggling. It's simpler and clearer (for both the computer and the human reader) and therefore easier to read. But no, we gotta live on the edge.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
You show a lack of appreciation for modern programming orthodoxy, comrade. Semicolons are bad, and all heretics that advocate semicolons must be destroyed. Choose your opinions wisely.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

There's a little more to it than that. You omit the trailing semicolon if and only if you want the value of the expression to be returned from the enclosing block. If the enclosing block returns the unit type, then it's good style to have a training semicolon.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
the js linter here is set up to error when you use a semicolon in a place that doesn't strictly need one

i hate it

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

redleader posted:

the js linter here is set up to error when you use a semicolon in a place that doesn't strictly need one

i hate it

Just write your code so every statement requires a semicolon, easy!

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
Gonna just litter this character everywhere that does literally nothing because uhhhh

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Tanners posted:

Gonna just litter this character everywhere that does literally nothing because uhhhh

We were discussing semicolons, why are you all of a sudden complaining about people indenting their code?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Semicolons or newlines, pick exactly one.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Also, semicolons-required or semicolons-forbidden, pick one.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Volguus posted:

When the interpreter gets confused you know you dun' goofed. Knowing all this, as per the article, why would anyone not just put the semicolons where needed, it's mind-boggling. It's simpler and clearer (for both the computer and the human reader) and therefore easier to read. But no, we gotta live on the edge.

there are exactly two situations in realistic code that will ever foil ASI: immediately using an array literal or an expression in parens on the next line, and putting return by itself on a line with the value you intend to return on the next line.

i'm not saying omitting the semicolons is good, but you're very unlikely to run into those situations in practice, and the predominant auto-formatters have a slightly more sophisticated ASI model than the interpreter so they fix those problems by inserting a semicolon if it is indeed strictly necessary. however, if you're running it through a formatter, you could just have it stick a semicolon at the end of every statement anyway.

ultimately the ASI wars are over, everyone just does whatever they prefer and then formats it in line with the rest of the codebase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

CPColin posted:

Also, semicolons-required or semicolons-forbidden, pick one.

semicolons-only